• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juicero (makers of the $400 non-juicer) is shutting down

MC Safety

I wonder if Juicero will find new life as a collector's item.

Somebody who is not me should probably corner the market.

Timbuktu

So was the problem mainly in having too more VC money than sense, rather than the actual concept? I'm guessing the juice packs concept itself is prohibitively expensive, otherwise we might see more reasonably priced machines from high end consumer guys like Dualit or Smeg or a Chinese knockoff that does this better.

Here's a further breakdown of its innards, construction, and manufacturing costs: https://blog.bolt.io/heres-why-juicero-s-press-is-so-expensive-6add74594e50

Over Engineered piece of crap that essentially does this:

-999x-999.gif

Nikodemos

After watching the video, holy shit is that thing ridiculously overengineered.

I simply don't understand why they went for a direct impingement press for their squeezing mechanism instead of a roller press (like in a pasta machine). You wouldn't need all the sensor-processor trickery to tell the motor when to stop pushing.

Here's my alternative to hand-squeezing Juicero bags:

monarca_%20tortilla.jpg

Have it feed from the bottom, install a spigot underneath and you're done.

Kinda want one now as the ultimate physical example of how stupid the tech industry is. Maybe I can find one on the cheap.

Will the juice bag authentication servers remain up?

They're not selling the bags anymore and they (amazingly) only last a few days before expiring. So I don't think this is a big concern.

Can't say I'm surprised. The juicer is an over-engineered piece of crap.

Here's a video that shows what's inside Juicero:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ&feature=youtu.be

That guy's insane. I'm relieved that his chainsaw failed and he had to use an axe, but really somebody should show him how to use that little hook attachment on a Swiss Army knife before he loses a finger. It isn't that difficult to safely open a package.

Saganator

That guy's insane. I'm relieved that his chainsaw failed and he had to use an axe, but really somebody should show him how to use that little hook attachment on a Swiss Army knife before he loses a finger. It isn't that difficult to safely open a package.

That's kind of one of the jokes with the channel. Glad to see AvE getting some love on GAF, his videos are hilarious and informative. DysonGAF should watch his tear down of a Dyson hair dryer.

Eh, nothing wrong with a Keurig.

Just buy a reusable filter and it's great.

One cup of coffee at a time.

I'd say the price is the main thing that's wrong. You can make really great coffee with a mocha pot or French press costing around £10. Why pay over £150?

Syriel

I'd say the price is the main thing that's wrong. You can make really great coffee with a mocha pot or French press costing around £10. Why pay over £150?

£150 for a Keurig? Brexit really has screwed with the value of the pound. Keurigs start at $70 in the States.

It's just the convenience of and all-in-one machine. Measure your grounds into the filter, then press a button and it does the rest. And if you don't want coffee, it doubles as a hot shot.

iamblades

That's just AvE's thing. I guess he couldn't fit the box in the milling machine. :p

GhaleonEB

That's kind of one of the jokes with the channel. Glad to see AvE getting some love on GAF, his videos are hilarious and informative. DysonGAF should watch his tear down of a Dyson hair dryer.
Opening it up to find this tiny fan and motor blew his mind. (ho ho) That's really cheaply made $500 hair dryer.

This was the first of his videos that I've seen, but he was clearly spoofing unboxing videos by demolishing the packaging as thoroughly as possible while not damaging the contents. He pulled the unit out of the box unscathed and the immaculately designed packaging was a shredded husk left behind. I found it hilarious.

MicH

What the hell is the point of a juicer that just squeezes bags of juice.

I can see why this failed.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Eh, nothing wrong with a Keurig.

Just buy a reusable filter and it's great.

One cup of coffee at a time.
I'm talking about the k-cups in particular, which are causing a problem since they're not really easily recyclable except for that one place in Canada, and they can't even really do anything about the DRM chips. (old info, I suppose)

I'm talking about the k-cups in particular, which are causing a problem since they're not really recyclable except for that one place in Canada, and they can't even really do anything about the DRM chips.

DRM coffee?

<Scrambles off to check>

I think those flopped. Not the Charlton Heston at the Statue of Liberty moment I was expecting.

But yeah, it's a bit shocking to see companies try this on and still get away without a complete market implosion.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Nah, Keurig hate is bonkers. It was completely legitimate when they tried to DRM it, but before and since, it's a highly convenient easy to use, easy to clean machine that makes an EXCELLENT cup of coffee. If you want to be a coffee jerk, you can use a gold filtered reusable cup and put civet beans or blue mountain in it, and have the best coffee in the world, or you can do what I do and buy good coffee when it's on sale on Amazon or at Safeway two for one. I also use fresh ground beans in reusable filters from time to time.

(Available) Compostable cups, and a push button instant perfect cup of coffee. French Press? AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT. Don't know what it costs in the UK, but the lower end one is half that here in the states.

Keurig is the toaster of coffee makers. That is to say, real product, just easier.

Nah, Keurig hate is bonkers.

I'm sure it's a lovely machine, if pricey. I don't hate it, I just don't want to spend money on it. I gave two examples of really simple, inexpensive devices that I've used on a daily basis for several decades to make great coffee.

Im surprised a product whos juice could be squeezed by hand for the exact same effect as using the juicer took so long to go out of business.

Top Bottom