• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Jul 8-21) The International 2014 DOTA 2 Championships: $10.5 million prize pool

Shengar

4) Is it best to stream via twitch or do it in game?

It depends, if you like extra stuffs like pre and post match commentaries and analysis, go for twitch stream. If you prefer total control over the map when watching, then do it in game.

Demoli

I feel like people say this every year, and China has only won one TI.

Yeah DK, NewBee, and iG are incredible teams, but so are EG, Alliance and Na'Vi.

It really could be anybody's tournament to win.

Last year everybody knew Alliance would win, there was barely anyone advocating for the chinese. Na'vi will be increadibly lucky this year if they crack top 6.

Such has been said before every International.

In lieu of me creating a response, here's someone else doing it for me

http://www.datdota.com/blog/?p=742

Commentary

First I want to talk about a misconception, I keep hearing. NaVi was not slumping going into TI3. NaVi was the one of the favorites to win TI3. TI3 started in early August. NaVi entered the mid June DreamHack on a 24 match win streak. That’s the longest consecutive win streak I have on record. NaVi sure as hell wasn’t slumping prior to mid June. NaVi ended up losing in a hotly contested 2-1 series at DreamHack (single elimination bracket). That was a tight series with Sneyking playing out of his mind on a mid Doom in game one and a great comeback from Dignitas in game 3. Losing a close series 2-1 is not a slump.

In July NaVi had three first place finishes in the three tournaments NaVi played in. What a slump. The team won the Alienware Cup against the top east teams (NaVi performed poorly in the group stages that were almost entirely inconsequential to the elimination phase) and won the Defense 4 and Raidcall Season 3 (both tournaments featured the top western teams like Alliance). NaVi sure as hell wasn’t slumping on the 24 game June win streak and won every tournament it played in July against the top eastern and western teams. NaVi won its group at the TI3 in August. There was no slump.

NaVi was 41-20 from the mid-June DreamHack to the beginning of TI3. A .672 win rate. Slightly less than the team’s overall win rate of .716 but on par with its against TI3 Teams win rate of .672 (remember that in July NaVi played a lot of TI3 teams.

THERE WAS NO PRE TI3 SLUMP.

NaVi is 19-24 in the past two months, has not won an offline event since January and hasn’t won an online event since April. For a team with the pedigree and expectations of NaVi, that’s a slump.

Nzyme32

Lel at people that think china aint winning this

Stay noobie murica

1. Not sure
2. Mushi left them hanging leaving for dk.
3. They were called north american rejects

1) yes

2) they mostly reformed under titan, unless you mean this year's rooster which I think disbanded.

3) formely NAR (North American Reject). Nicknamed Nar'Vi

Thanks, super helpful!

It depends, if you like extra stuffs like pre and post match commentaries and analysis, go for twitch stream. If you prefer total control over the map when watching, then do it in game.

Cheers. My only concern is missing out on stuff, but I realise that since the noob cast will happen for these matches, I'd probably be best going for that channel on twitch this time around

Kreunt

Banned
4) Is it best to stream via twitch or do it in game?

There's benefits to both.
If you view the matches in game you have a chance of winning tournament items, it also looks better than a video stream does and I'm pretty sure uses a whole lot less bandwidth too.
However, you will miss out on any of the banter/discussions that go on between matches.

kasane

Everyone loves to dump on Na'Vi, but they play incredible under pressure. Yeah they are all over the place sometimes, but you can't ever count them out.
Except they have looked the shittiest this year and its no secret puppeys drafts has been shit

Navi hoping goblak would save them

ksan

Then again, I remember when people thought that Absolute Legends were actually good cause they won games online.

inkls

Except they have looked the shittiest this year and its no secret puppeys drafts has been shit

Navi hoping goblak would save them

Yeah it was weird watching him draft with all the praise he previously had for great drafts.

I think I may start out watching the noob stream just out of curiosity.

Rooting for MVP.Phoenix to make it out but if VP plays like they did in qualifiers they probably won't.

But honestly, who knows with VP.

Radec

Chinese fangirls got like 4 or 5 teams to root for incase their favorite team got destroyed!

In the end they will all go down to the russians or koreans!!!1

Nzyme32

There's benefits to both.
If you view the matches in game you have a chance of winning tournament items, it also looks better than a video stream does and I'm pretty sure uses a whole lot less bandwidth too.
However, you will miss out on any of the banter/discussions that go on between matches.

Thanks, this could be important. My bandwidth is shit at the moment and I'm viewing the noob stream at medium quality. Looks like some one shit on the screen (with added lightning)

I think I may start out watching the noob stream just out of curiosity.

Rooting for MVP.Phoenix to make it out but if VP plays like they did in qualifiers they probably won't.

But honestly, who knows with VP.

I had VP to win in my prediction until the last moment and then I changed it to Liquid. I fully expect VP to take it now.

I feel like people say this every year, and China has only won one TI.

Yeah DK, NewBee, and iG are incredible teams, but so are EG, Alliance and Na'Vi.

It really could be anybody's tournament to win.

TI 3 was an aberration for China. They dominated TI2 and came in second @ TI1. I'd expect them to come back with a vengence considering how disgraced they were as a whole about their performance last year.

Usobuko

Banned
I half suspect there's some mafia/yakuza corporate ballin going on. Surely after the grand $10.5m prize pool, you would expect the korean scene to take dota 2 more seriously.

But nope, daddy tencent ain't going to fly with that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I half suspect there's some mafia/yakuza corporate ballin going on. Surely after the grand $10.5m prize pool, you would expect the korean scene to take dota 2 more seriously.

But nope, daddy tencent ain't going to fly with that.

Good. Lets the Koreans dominate games I dont watch anymore.

eznark

Banned
Koreans

This aint starcraft baby. Wait a few more years

Watching MVP over the last year...it's not going to be that long before they are solid as fuck and legit competing. They've gotten exponentially better in like 9 months. It's kind of crazy.

Top Bottom