• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 26th 2015 - Two years ago, same-sex marriage was legalized across the USA

Also, two years ago, this happened:

wh1.jpg

Please America, by all means, more of this and less of whateverthefuck is going on now

Bonus, public support for same-sex marriage has been increasing since the SC ruling

As recently as a decade ago, more than half of Americans said they opposed allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry legally. Today, two years after the Supreme Court ruled that the Constitution requires states to allow same-sex marriages, opposition has fallen to about one-third of the population, according to a new survey released Monday by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center.

Nearly two-thirds now support equal marriage rights for same-sex couples, the survey showed. Other recent surveys have shown similar trends.

Code:
[IMG]http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/06/23143409/1_11.png[/IMG]

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So gay people start getting married and then Trump becomes president. This is the dystopian future everyone warned us about.

I love that image of the WH. Still an amazing moment when same-sex was legalized. I can't believe it has been only two years. It feels longer.

It was such a wonderful day. Before that case made it to the Supreme Court, I didn't think gay marriage would be legalized nationwide in my lifetime.

I continually marvel at how quickly this country reversed course on same-sex marriage. In the 2004 election, no one could shut the fuck up about it. Last year, it generated almost no controversy despite the ruling being delivered only a year prior. Turns out that when people realize they have LGBT children, spouses, co-workers, etc., they become more accepting. Even Republicans realize that running against gay issues has become pretty much a non-starter.

I continually marvel at how quickly this country reversed course on same-sex marriage. In the 2004 election, no one could shut the fuck up about it. Last year, it generated almost no controversy despite the ruling being delivered only a year prior. Turns out that when people realize they have LGBT children, spouses, co-workers, etc., they become more accepting. Even Republicans realize that running against gay issues has become pretty much a non-starter.

Old argument that few consider: white people can be gay, but they can't be PoC.

There were practically 0 infrastructure change necessary to facilitate gay marriage. But desegregation? Fair housing? Civil Rights? Some of that stuff is still on the books. Look at SCOTUS allowing certain aspects of the Muslim ban today....

Northern Ireland still doesn't allow it.

It's been legal in England and Wales since 13th March 2014.
It's been legal in Scotland since 16th December 2014.
It's been legal in Republic of Ireland since 16th November 2015.

Just be glad you don't have a load of religious nuts using religion as a reason to not allow same sex couples the same rights as everyone else.

HylianTom

Banned
One of the happier days of my life. Many had been arguing for two decades that there is no magical, invisible "except for the homos" asterisk attached to Equal Protection, and to see a court majority agree - with the opinion penned by a Reagan appointee(!) - was gratifying.

We kept a livestream of the White House on our TV that night. I smile whenever I think of it..

Blueingreen

Northern Ireland still doesn't allow it.

It's been legal in England and Wales since 13th March 2014.
It's been legal in Scotland since 16th December 2014.
It's been legal in Republic of Ireland since 16th November 2015.

Just be glad you don't have a load of religious nuts using religion as a reason to not allow same sex couples the same rights as everyone else.

Why doesn't the DUP allow it again, under what pretense?

Why doesn't the DUP allow it again, under what pretense?

Officially, it's because they hold the view that a marriage, a "traditional marriage" should be between a man and a woman, with civil partnerships providing similar rights as marriage to same sex couples.

On the flip side of that, they once had a campaign called “Save Ulster from Sodomy” and remarks of individuals within the party have been less than...welll, "kind".

Remember when we thought that the world was sure headed in the right direction and nothing could stop progress?

The white house lit up in pride colors had me crying like a baby. I don't think we can let the current shitshow destroy the hard work and lives that went into making it a reality

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
maybe i havent been paying close enough attention, but anyone been forced to get gay married yet?

Such a great time. Oh how far we've fallen in two short years.

Meanwhile here in Australia we're still having a childish back and forth between the major parties preventing us from doing the same. Sometimes it feels like we've come so far as a species but when it comes to matters like this it's a stark reminder that we still have so far to go.

cameron

Brief notes about the Pew Research Center survey via NPR: Same-Sex Marriage Support At All-Time High, Even Among Groups That Opposed It

1. Republicans are now split
74QwlPA.png

2. Older Americans are more favorable now

3. Among White evangelicals, there's a generational divide

4. Black support nudges over 50 percent
hUTiXWl.png

5. Religion matters
Overall, weekly attenders of any type of religious service were less likely to support same-sex marriage, at just 39 percent compared with 75 percent of those who attend less than weekly. Protestants were less likely than the nation as a whole to support same-sex marriage, at 48 percent; Catholics were somewhat more likely than the overall figure of 62 percent in favor, at 67 percent. Support for same-sex marriage was markedly higher, 85 percent, among Americans with no religious affiliation.

6. Gender, income, and education also make a difference
Overall, women were somewhat more likely than men to support same-sex marriage (64 vs. 60 percent, respectively). Support for same-sex marriage also increased with more income and a higher level of education. For people with a post-graduate education, 79 percent approved compared with 53 percent of people with a high school education or less.

6. Gender, income, and education also make a difference

Perhaps the most salient point here. When virtually every income group and stratum of society supports it, you can't really make it an electoral issue anymore.

Remember that proposed executive order back in late January/early February that would have allowed federal contractors and adoption agencies to discriminate? It never materialized for a reason. Republicans realize they've lost the public on this issue. Overtly homophobic and anti-LGBT policies satisfy their hardcore base but alienate everyone else.

adj_noun

The mass apologies that ensued from same sex marriage opponents as it became readily apparent that they were completely wrong re: what would happen post legalization was a satisfying thing to behold.

In the alternate dimension where it happened.

It's amazing we don't have to fight about this every day anymore. It happened and it's settled. Wow. It's really been two years.

You've still got discrimination cases though, like the cake baker.

Top Bottom