• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JUNE! Comics OT Before Four Dollar Books and Toasters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel teasing

ThisIsWAR_Thor_02.jpg

Announcement at SDCC allegedly, from bleedingcool. But the announcement is just news news.

Also....Brubaker officially off Captain America, bleedingcool interview

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/24/ed-brubaker-on-leaving-captain-america-working-for-marvel-and-despairing-about-before-watchmen/

Churn those books out fellows!

Ugh, Jesus Christ. Spurgeon does NOT write for Bleeding Cool. Here's the ACTUAL interview. http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/resources/interviews/38784/ Rich Johnston = The Worst.

And here's what you missed from me at Heroes Con SUCKAS:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjaminbirdie/sets/72157630282041744/with/7440597024/

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
guys, guys... this happens every week. just ignore the event all together.

this week's watxm will decide if i keep reading it. hope it's back to fun light hearted laughs
and not too avx heavy.

anyone else love that bit about brubaker doing only creator owned stuff going forward? hopefully more authors of his caliber follow suit.

George Perez talks about his experience writing New 52 'Superman'; says couldn't wait to get off the book (CBR)

That sounds like terrible working conditions for a writer charged with revitalizing a series. Didn't know Morrison was writing Action Comics, had no clue what his plans were on AC, didn't know about the "5 years ago" time skip, his editors making snap decisions and contradicting each other while forcing rewrite after rewrite based on proposed changes... no wonder he handed over his scripts and gave up.

George Perez talks about his experience writing New 52 'Superman'; says couldn't wait to get off the book (CBR)

That sounds like terrible working conditions for a writer charged with revitalizing a series. Didn't know Morrison was writing Action Comics, had no clue what his plans were on AC, didn't know about the "5 years ago" time skip, his editors making snap decisions and contradicting each other while forcing rewrite after rewrite based on proposed changes... no wonder he handed over his scripts and gave up.

When he was fired from DC four years ago, Chuck Dixon called DiDio a "directionless gladhander with an Ouija board."

DC is capable of producing some damn good books, but that quote still pretty aptly describes their entire editorial approach, not just the big guy in charge.

MisterHero

Thats had to be what happened. They couldn't figure out what to do, partially because Morrison was writing the new continuity's "exposition" in Action Comics, so the Superman book spent an entire year with Superman fighting generic 90s monsters.

Owzers

Superman looked like a disaster, this is some of the context at least.

Also...i'm on board for Ultron War :p The Point One short segment looked fun.

Thats had to be what happened. They couldn't figure out what to do, partially because Morrison was writing the new continuity's "exposition" in Action Comics, so the Superman book spent an entire year with Superman fighting generic 90s monsters.

If DC was going to implement the most radical and far-reaching continuity changes in its entire publishing history, they really, really should have spent a full six to twelve months planning out the new universe in advance.

Instead, DC apparently didn't even decide that they wanted to go in the universe-wide reboot direction until a month or two before the New 52 was announced, and they were still deciding on the extent of the continuity changes after the first couple issues were already on stands.

Ha I knew it. It really did read like an editorial mandated book. That's why they have people like Giffen, Jurgens, and Lobdell writing it now. The're loyal to DC's management and will just write whatever they tell them to.

If DC was going to implement the most radical and far-reaching continuity changes in its entire publishing history, they really, really should have spent a full six to twelve months planning out the new universe in advance.

Instead, DC apparently didn't even decide that they wanted to go in the universe-wide reboot direction until a month or two before the New 52 was announced, and they were still deciding on the extent of the continuity changes after the first couple issues were already on stands.

source?

yea it was funny when the new 52 was announced DC was like "no no no it's not a reboot! We are just refreshing some characters" then the first issues come out and it becomes extremely clear it was a total reboot and then DC is like "yup its a new universe"

MisterHero

yea it was funny when the new 52 was announced DC was like "no no no it's not a reboot! We are just refreshing some characters" then the first issues come out and it becomes extremely clear it was a total reboot and then DC is like "yup its a new universe"
Storyline wise, it's the old DC (and Flashpoint universe?) and Wildstorm universes mashed together.

However, the problem was that Superman (the book) was taking place in present day but they didn't know what to do with Superman because they had to wait for Action Comics (5 years prior) to set certain important things up, which are very different from the old continuity:

-Fortress of Solitude
-How his costume works
-Status of his and Lois's relationship
-Relationship with the Justice League
-Anything that Clark Kent has worked on as a reporter

They couldn't suggest new ideas in Superman because Morrison might have other ideas. It must've really sucked for Perez because he was trying to be a double-duty writer/illustrator.

Mifune

Mehmber
After a pretty decent opening arc, a really wonderful one-shot with Spidey, and now a 12-issue arc of absolute stasis in Most Wanted Man, I'm really quickly losing interest in Fraction's Invincible Iron Man. I know it's not totally his fault since it's apparently part of some mega event, but I'm hoping things pick up from here. I'm already in for like 30 issues (thanks to a Comixology sale).

I'm also up through issue 10 or so of Uncanny X-Force, and it's as great as ever. Really gotta check out some more Remender.

Picked up the first issue of Uncanny X-Men based on some raves. Okay, a little bit standard superhero team-ish, but with some nice interaction between the characters. I'll stick with it.

You really don't need to look very hard for evidence that The New 52 wasn't planned very far in advance, at least not in the form in which it was actually published.

-Brian Clevinger and Brian Wood being kicked off the Firestorm and Supergirl relaunches, respectively, in favor of reboot pitches, after being told that they had the gig based on plans relying heavily on existing continuity
-Justice League: Generation Lost ending on a cliffhanger unresolved due to the reboot
-Brightest Day ending on multiple cliffhangers (Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Hawkman) unresolved due to the reboot, while Swamp Thing's, Hawk & Dove's, and Deadman's storylines arbitrarily remaining in continuity
-Gail Simone's last issue of Birds of Prey setting up future storylines, with letter page referring to upcoming issues with her as writer
-Batwoman #1 coming within weeks of shipping in April of last year, with previews advertising that date being published throughout the DC line
-Teen Titans referenced as past team in Batwoman #1 and Teen Titans #1, yet subsequently decreed by editorial in October that there had been no prior team by that name in current continuity
-Scott Lobdell claiming in pre-relaunch interviews that Superboy wasn't a reboot, subsequently calling process for determining what is and isn't still in continuity "organic" and stating that Superboy had been determined to be a reboot after all
-Martian Manhunter referenced as past member of the Justice League in Stormwatch #1; dialogue explaining this not to actually be the case awkwardly shoehorned in five issues later

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
After a pretty decent opening arc, a really wonderful one-shot with Spidey, and now a 12-issue arc of absolute stasis in Most Wanted Man, I'm really quickly losing interest in Fraction's Invincible Iron Man. I know it's not totally his fault since it's apparently part of some mega event, but I'm hoping things pick up from here. I'm already in for like 30 issues (thanks to a Comixology sale).

I'm also up through issue 10 or so of Uncanny X-Force, and it's as great as ever. Really gotta check out some more Remender.

Picked up the first issue of Uncanny X-Men based on some raves. Okay, a little bit standard superhero team-ish, but with some nice interaction between the characters. I'll stick with it.

And this is why we don't block-buy dozens of issues of a comic we don't know about. Especially controversially patchy runs by patchy authors. from what I hear the quality fluctuates wildly.

Uncanny X-Force is the shit though :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

YOU HAVE NO IDEA. just this morning I finally finished Fear Agent (Remender, Opena, Moore). go drop all those shitty super hero books (save UXF) and read this.

my god. what a beautiful, haunting piece of work. if hemingway wrote a high octane sci fi romp, this is what it would be. books like these are why i love comics and if you love comics too, i highly recommend reading it.

the first half is being reprinted in omnibus version soon, click the picture, pre-order it, read it, love it, thank me:

Mifune

Mehmber
And this is why we don't block-buy dozens of issues of a comic we don't know about. Especially controversially patchy runs by patchy authors. from what I hear the quality fluctuates wildly.

Uncanny X-Force is the shit though :)

Haha, lesson learned. I swear I had heard very good things about his run, though.

Owzers

Haha, lesson learned. I swear I had heard very good things about his run, though.

Invincible Iron Man progression:

First arc: Five Nightmare: Hey this is really good!

Second Arc: World's Most Wanted; Hey..this is kind of good, a bit too long but overall it was still...okay.

Third Arc: Stark Disassembled: Okay, not great, they had to wiggle into Siege, i didn't completely hate it...

Fourth Arc: Stark Resilient: Okay, not great, a little long, kind of boring....

Book jumps to 3.99 an issue and is going into Fear Itself territory: WELL I'M OUT, I now regret ever buying the book and have no plans to buy another issue.

I don't see much of a difference in quality throughout the whole run, and the Fear Itself stuff contributes a huge amount to his ongoing handling of Tony's alcoholism. I guess if one just wants the espionage without the character beats, it's inconsistent, but the Fear Itself issues are the most crucial, along with 500.1, of the run as far as the character is concerned.

The iron man fear itself arc was one of the only good things from that event...and also one of the only things that a hero did during that event which made sense.

Cth

So, hypothetically speaking here..

The Phoenix Five get rid of all the weapons on Marvel Earth.

They fight among each other, setting the world afire, and that's when Mandarin's Tripod bots (from Steve and Tony's visions) and Ultron strike.

Way to go mutants, you managed to screw things up again :D Especially so if they manage to kill Thor/Wolverine again.

Invincible Iron Man progression:

First arc: Five Nightmare: Hey this is really good!

Second Arc: World's Most Wanted; Hey..this is kind of good, a bit too long but overall it was still...okay.

Third Arc: Stark Disassembled: Okay, not great, they had to wiggle into Siege, i didn't completely hate it...

Fourth Arc: Stark Resilient: Okay, not great, a little long, kind of boring....

Book jumps to 3.99 an issue and is going into Fear Itself territory: WELL I'M OUT, I now regret ever buying the book and have no plans to buy another issue.

Reading Invicinible iron Man is like preventing yourself from throwing up when you have the flu. Some books like this and cap they need to put them out of their misery for a while. There's just not anything left you can do and talk of putting this brah on FF after Hickman's done, that's just sending FF out to die. And sad to see Brubaker be the first casuality of of double shipping. I don't know how Bunn can hold up, he is on like seven books plus double shipping. Hope he has written far ahead for the Sixth Gun.

Mark Waid returns to The Rocketeer with 'Cargo of Doom' (Comic Book Resources)

Skipping over the plot stuff (Los Angeles in peril, a new love interest for Cliff and rival for Betty) in case that's too spoiler-y for you.

Waid has been a Rocketeer fan from the earliest days of Stevens' creation. "I was picking up 'Pacific Presents,' and I saw my first Rocketeer story, the first Rocketeer story," he said. "I was taken immediately. The craft of it was amazing. Even though it was printed on crappy paper, with muddy colors, as it was in the day, compared to what we have now, it really sang to me. That guy could flat-out draw. My God. And I bought everything with the Rocketeer name on it."

As for what it is about the Rocketeer that appeals so strongly to Waid, he's quick to cite the character's lack of super powers. "He’s a regular Joe who can fly. He didn’t come with super powers," Waid said. "He's sort of a garage-kit superhero. I think that there's also something interesting about how he is sort of uniquely on the cusp of two things -- the last of the pulp adventure heroes, and the first of the comic-book superheroes. He falls in that odd twilight, which has a foot in both the worlds of pulps and comics."

Waid doesn't take introducing new characters into Stevens' beloved world lightly. "First off, you make sure they bring something unique to the table, otherwise, don't clutter the area with repetitive characters," he said. "But more than that, you make sure they have a voice. You really work hard to make them real, to make them feel like real characters and not cartoons." To that end, Waid spent time researching movies and radio shows and literature of the 1930s and '40s, and found his greatest inspiration in an unexpected place: "Of all things, oddly enough, the Archie comics of the early 1940s. I was reading the first few of them in an archive format, and they were so full of slang and idiom that was completely alien to me. I'd never heard these slang terms before, and I'm a student of the era."

Artist Samnee is also a student of the era, bringing an authentic 1930s flavor to his art. "He's capturing the period with such aplomb that you would think he must have either the world's greatest reference library to the 1930s, or he's got a time machine in his basement," Waid said. "He can tell a story like nobody's business. He can design a page as well as anybody I've ever seen in this industry. His drawing is flawless, in that he knows not to over-clutter and over-doodle. It's very slick. Stylistically, it's a little different than Dave's because it's not as slick, but it's as economical. Every line has a purpose; every line tells a story."

After "Cargo of Doom" ends, Waid would be open to the possibility of returning to the world of the Rocketeer. "Now that I've gone this far, I can see other places to play here," he said. "I can see other areas around the margins where there's some creative elbow room." He will not, however, be engaging in any more Rocketeer cosplay. "I'm not going to be dressed up as Betty anytime soon," he laughed. "That's a little creepy."

Gonna be great!

Owzers

definitely picking up Waid Rocketeer. :O

I started reading my Gotham City Sirens vol 1 HC, the book has a lot of potential and is sort of fun, but it doesn't quite rise above mundane shenanigans to be memorable outside of " this seems like standard DC batfair " Similar feeling to Dini's short-lived Zatanna series.

sca2511

Another question GAF, I'm going to subscribe to comics for the first time, only dabbled in the Essential Spiderman and The Killing Joke. It seems to be a good time to get into comics because of the new 52. Also read over some of your guys' posts and took interest in some titles (Punisher and Wonder Woman). I'm also a big fan of Spider-Man.

So far I want to subscribe to...
Batman
Batgirl
Batwoman
Wonder Woman
Swamp Thing
Animal man
Action Comics
Flash
Spider-men
Uncanny X-Men
Punisher

Any other recommendations? Any other Marvel comics I should be reading? Also, it doesn't have to come from the big two publishers.

Another question GAF, I'm going to subscribe to comics for the first time, only dabbled in the Essential Spiderman and The Killing Joke. It seems to be a good time to get into comics because of the new 52. Also read over some of your guys' posts and took interest in some titles (Punisher and Wonder Woman). I'm also a big fan of Spider-Man.

Batman
Batgirl
Batwoman
Wonder Woman
Swamp Thing
Animal man
Action Comics
Flash
Spider-men
Uncanny X-Men
Punisher

Any other recommendations? Any other Marvel comics I should be reading? Also, it doesn't have to come from the big two publishers.

Don't get batgirl, your money would be better spent on almost any other book, or any other entertainment product in general.

Demon Knights is my favorite new 52 book that you don't have there.

Batman
Batgirl
Batwoman
Wonder Woman
Swamp Thing
Animal man
Action Comics
Flash
Spider-men
Uncanny X-Men
Punisher

Spider men is a limited series, just FYI. You should def get wolverine and the x men, best X book in years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom