• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Foray passes away at 99

Damn, RIP. Probably was part of most American's childhoods. :\

Has it gotten to the point where threads need to be made about minor actresses who die at 99? She lived a completely full life.

People who devote their lives to fighting cancer, poverty, racism, etc die all the time so I'm not sure why a minor actress who lived 20 years as average life expectancy deserves a thread but they don't.
Here's an idea: don't like a thread.

Don't post in it.

(Also someone with someone with as many vocal roles as she had since 1937 is not a 'minor actress' lmao)

Neith

Banned
My recommendation is to google some shit and educate yourself, son.

Thanks dad.

So for me the cooler moments I have heard her in would be: Magica De Spell in the video game DuckTales: Remastered and Ducktales of course. Played Ma Beagle too lol.

Other cool stuff for people that don't want to have do all the searching themselves:

Foray did the voices of Midnight the Cat and Old Grandie the Piano on The Buster Brown Program.

For Walt Disney, Foray voiced Lucifer the Cat in the feature film Cinderella, Lambert's mother in Lambert the Sheepish Lion, a mermaid in Peter Pan and Witch Hazel in the Donald Duck short Trick or Treat; decades later, Foray would be the voice of Grandmother Fa in the 1998 animated Disney film Mulan. She also did a variety of voices in Walter Lantz's Woody Woodpecker cartoons, including Woody's nephew and niece, Knothead and Splinter. Impressed by her performance as Witch Hazel, in 1954 Chuck Jones invited her over to Warner Brothers Cartoons.

For Warner Brothers, she was Granny (whom she has played on vinyl records starting in 1950, before officially voicing her in Red Riding Hoodwinked, released in 1955, taking over for Bea Benaderet), owner of Tweety and Sylvester, and a series of witches, including Looney Tunes' own Witch Hazel, with Jones as director. Like most of Warner Brothers' voice actors at the time (with the exception of Mel Blanc), Foray was not credited for her roles in these cartoons.

Chuck Jones is reported to have said, "June Foray is not the female Mel Blanc, Mel Blanc was the male June Foray."

Foray worked for Hanna-Barbera, including on Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, The Jetsons, The Flintstones and many other shows. In 1959, she auditioned for the part of Betty Rubble on The Flintstones, but the part went to Bea Benaderet; Foray described herself as "terribly disappointed" at not getting to play Betty.

I wish maybe the OP could have listed some things and maybe a couple reactions would have been different. Her stuff is very cool, and I grew up with her voices as a kid in Ducktales, my favorite show.

Currently playing through the game and I really love how they got everyone together for the videogame. Amazing.

Dishwalla

Banned
RIP. All of us here have been hearing her voice in various productions our entire lives, even if you didn't know it. Her work was widespread, a true legend.

Also believe she was the last person tied to the original Looney Tunes cartoons, people like Mel Blanc/Chuck Jones/Friz Freleng/Bob Clampett/Tex Avery/etc have been dead for many years now.

Salmonax

Has it gotten to the point where threads need to be made about minor actresses who die at 99? She lived a completely full life.

People who devote their lives to fighting cancer, poverty, racism, etc die all the time so I'm not sure why a minor actress who lived 20 years as average life expectancy deserves a thread but they don't.

People are in love with certain people I guess. Had no idea who this was at all, and I'm a film buff. Was there any main reason this was posted? Like should I see something this person is in that is a masterpiece? Recommendations?

Google exists. She was a legend. For fuckÂ’s sake.

You don't even have a fuckin' avatar pic and you are trying to lecture people here on what qualifies as a "worthy thread"? Fuck off!

Hunh. My brother told me it was fake and then showed me this link. http://en.**************/people/june-foray/deathhoax.html

Mediamass isn't a real site. It automatically generates fake news reports about tons of people. Plug in any famous person's name (like "jackie-chan" or something) and you'll get the exact same thing. People use it to "bust" death reports when it's actually a hoax site in itself.

Also the fact that it's banned on GAF says a lot in itself.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

June Foray a "minor" actress? Get the fuck out of here you troll.

RobbieNick

Mediamass isn't a real site. It automatically generates fake news reports about tons of people. Plug in any famous person's name (like "jackie-chan" or something) and you'll get the exact same thing. People use it to "bust" death reports when it's actually a hoax site in itself.

Also the fact that it's banned on GAF says a lot in itself.

Great. My brother fucked up and made ME look like the fool. UGH!

Still RIP June Foray. 99 years is a very long time and she was the greatest female talent in her field.

sakipon

I wish maybe the OP could have listed some things and maybe a couple reactions would have been different. Her stuff is very cool, and I grew up with her voices as a kid in Ducktales, my favorite show.

Yup, your post is what the OP should've looked like. Thanks for actually going through the trouble. I'm not personally going to google every new name being mentioned on these boards. If someone wants to bring up a subject to talk about, better write a few lines about it.

Neith

Banned
Google exists. She was a legend. For fuck's sake.

Hey yer pretty late to the party bud, I just wrote a whole post for people. You really needn't have written that. I am not familiar with a lot of names in animation. Partially because they won't throw these damn shows on bluray. Quite honestly most people are not going to know who this is at all even though they grew up with her.

If every thread made me google stuff well I'd be googling all day now. Calm down.

And honestly is it not a shame that we hardly have any of these cartoons on bluray? Like what and the hell man. At least put Ducktales, Jetsons, and Flintstones on bluray.

NeOak

What in the...

What were you thinking?

Neith

Banned
Be proud of not knowing shit and hopping into threads to show it off brehs

Well it's all good because now after a few posts people do actually know things.

Just in case you had forgotten this is how LEARNING WORKS. Be proud to shame people for learning or something I guess.

I also love that Chuck Jones quote I found on Wiki lol.

Well it's all good because now after a few posts people do actually know things.

Just in case you had forgotten this is how LEARNING WORKS. Be proud to shame people for learning or something I guess.

I also love that Chuck Jones quote I found on Wiki lol.

You know what I and I'm sure many other people do if there's a thread about someone's death and I don't recognize the name? I look it up, or I ask in a normal fashion. I don't come in the thread like "who the fuck is this, why should I care, what the fuck OP" then expect everyone to be nice to me.

Neith

Banned
You know what I and I'm sure many other people do if there's a thread about someone's death and I don't recognize the name? I look it up, or I ask in a normal fashion. I don't come in the thread like "who the fuck is this, why should I care, what the fuck OP" then expect everyone to be nice to me.

Okay, make that as coarse and ridiculous as you possibly can because you know that isn't what I said in the slightest. Rolls eyes. At any rate we're long over that. I'm not about to sit here and have a useless conversation with you. Have a nice day.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

god forbid we waste precious internet space on a mere minor actress
wtf

She voiced Granny for quite a few years, including in films such as Looney Tunes, Back in Action, which I'm quite fond of. Also, I have a huge soft spot for the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie, which I assume was one of the last times she reprised her arguably most iconic role.

Neith

Banned
She voiced Granny for quite a few years, including in films such as Looney Tunes, Back in Action, which I'm quite fond of. Also, I have a huge soft spot for the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie, which I assume was one of the last times she reprised her arguably most iconic role.

I just got the three collections of looney tunes on bluray so I will be looking for her voice in something.

Apparently, she was uncredited a lot in these old cartoons.

Shut the fuck up, someone died. Jesus Christ.

Giant in the field. RIP.

6bdbdb75c690f1872b118529ed4137cf.jpg

If you think June Foray was a "minor" actress, you should probably just sit down.
No kidding.

Thanks dad.

So for me the cooler moments I have heard her in would be: Magica De Spell in the video game DuckTales: Remastered and Ducktales of course. Played Ma Beagle too lol.

Other cool stuff for people that don't want to have do all the searching themselves:

Foray did the voices of Midnight the Cat and Old Grandie the Piano on The Buster Brown Program.

For Walt Disney, Foray voiced Lucifer the Cat in the feature film Cinderella, Lambert's mother in Lambert the Sheepish Lion, a mermaid in Peter Pan and Witch Hazel in the Donald Duck short Trick or Treat; decades later, Foray would be the voice of Grandmother Fa in the 1998 animated Disney film Mulan. She also did a variety of voices in Walter Lantz's Woody Woodpecker cartoons, including Woody's nephew and niece, Knothead and Splinter. Impressed by her performance as Witch Hazel, in 1954 Chuck Jones invited her over to Warner Brothers Cartoons.

For Warner Brothers, she was Granny (whom she has played on vinyl records starting in 1950, before officially voicing her in Red Riding Hoodwinked, released in 1955, taking over for Bea Benaderet), owner of Tweety and Sylvester, and a series of witches, including Looney Tunes' own Witch Hazel, with Jones as director. Like most of Warner Brothers' voice actors at the time (with the exception of Mel Blanc), Foray was not credited for her roles in these cartoons.

Chuck Jones is reported to have said, "June Foray is not the female Mel Blanc, Mel Blanc was the male June Foray."

Foray worked for Hanna-Barbera, including on Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, The Jetsons, The Flintstones and many other shows. In 1959, she auditioned for the part of Betty Rubble on The Flintstones, but the part went to Bea Benaderet; Foray described herself as "terribly disappointed" at not getting to play Betty.

Currently playing through the game and I really love how they got everyone together for the videogame. Amazing.

You left out the fact that she was also Rocky of Rocky & Bullwinkle fame.

That and DuckTales are probably why I recognize her for the most, though she did do a metric shitton of other voices that I grew up with. Hell I'm pretty sure she was still performing too!

Holy shit, her career is amazing. From being the voice of the cat in Cinderella alllll the way to being the grandmother in Mulan?

AND she was Granny and Witch Hazel from Looney Tunes?! I've heard her voice through countless cartoons, movies, and video games. Amazing.

StayDead

I don't understand. Why do people think that threads are some kind of finite resource? You could make thousands of threads in a day and it wouldn't matter server wise and it wouldn't take anything away from anyone.

If you think those people deserve a thread then make one, nobody is stopping you. People make threads about their family members passing away for support all the time and that's good that they feel like they can get support here.

I must admit personally I've never heard her name before, but I've heard so many of her characters based on her filmography and she is a legend in animation voice acting. It's only a shame she didn't manage to make it to be a centennial. Outside of that this woman has been alive since 1917, that's crazy! She's seen so much and I can only hope her death was painless and peaceful. RIP.

Neith

Banned
Shut the fuck up, someone died. Jesus Christ.

No kidding.

You left out the fact that she was also Rocky of Rocky & Bullwinkle fame.

That and DuckTales are probably why I recognize her for the most, though she did do a metric shitton of other voices that I grew up with. Hell I'm pretty sure she was still performing too!

Ha sorry about that must have accidentally clipped it when I was putting together that summary.

I'm gonna watch a Witch Hazel or Granny cartoon in her honor if I can in my bluray set. Not sure what all it has in the 3 editions of looney tunes.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD give us Ducktales OG series on bluray. Fucking lord man WHY!

UberTag

June was a veritable legend in the voice acting industry.
Glad she got to enjoy a long life filled with success and lasting memories.

She even had a gig in the first produced episode of The Simpsons (the de facto Season 1 finale, Some Enchanted Evening).
She played the telephone receptionist of the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumper Babysitting Service.

someenchantedevening3.png

She was also the voice of Jokey Smurf.

2ee457de-cd5e-471c-bcef-59a7ab04940a.png

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD give us Ducktales OG series on bluray. Fucking lord man WHY!

I mean they never even finished releasing it on DVD. The Disney Afternoon stuff sold terribly on DVD (in large part because of Disney's own lack of promotion for it), so I wouldn't ever expect to see any of it remastered for blu-ray.

Die in a fire.

RIP

So many of those voices were a huge part of my childhood and are still a part of my adulthood. And her voice will continue to live on for many more generations to come hopefully.

She lived a good, long life.

Condolences to her family & friends.

Ruff

Despite everything else I'd be so gutted if I lived to 99, give me that one extra year to round it out dammit.

Ascenion

Minor actress.....okay. You keep believing that. Lady is one of the most legendary voice actors of all time. All time.

Plus last I checked you a member too, you can make threads as easily as anyone else.

Top Bottom