• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"June Xbox One software dev kit gives devs access to more GPU bandwidth."

Computer

All the arm chair computer engineers on here are positive Xbox One will never see the precious 1080p. Although its already been done with games such as Forza and Kinect Sports.

Gestault

Why is a representative mentioning in an interview that a new iteration of their development tools has been improved considered objectionable? If that's a reasonable criticism, there's not a lot of statements out there from any company above reproach. Goodness help you if you listened to the Apple presentation from the other day and you feel this way.

I think he talks to much and shows to little.

fala_muito.gif

You sound mad for some reason....

Hawk269

Nice. I guess next years games will get a visual boost then.

Yup. In fantasy land, it would be great if they went back to some games and patched in the performance enhancements. For me, perhaps adding some better AA to Forza 5, smooth out frame rate in other games etc..etc..., but that wont happen! But hey it is good that this is happening.

RE_Player

the gap is closing
I appreciate this mentality but do you honestly think Sony is just sitting on their hands? As consoles mature so do their dev kits and hardware access. The PS3 now is different from the PS3 at launch. Same with 360, same with Xbox One here and with PS4.

Kayant

the gap is closing

Looool you can tell how?

OT - Great to hear. Realistically this is only be seen in games coming out near fall or a bit over summer right? Seeing as we don't really know how much of the reservation was released what gains could be seen from this? Better framerate? or higher res?

Begaria

*rubs hands together gleefully*

Misterxmedia will be so much fun to read today.

*heads over*

Yup, it has begun. So good.

Trojan

Wow, was not expecting this so soon. So do you think this will give devs the decision to shut off all Kinect functionality to improve performance (assuming this is that bandwidth tied up from that unit)?

This could alienate some that heavily use Kinect for voice commands in-game but I like the fact that they're doubling-down and addressing the performance gap that has been the elephant in the room since Day 1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow, was not expecting this so soon. So do you think this will give devs the decision to shut off all Kinect functionality to improve performance (assuming this is that bandwidth tied up from that unit)?

This could alienate some that heavily use Kinect for voice commands in-game but I like the fact that they're doubling-down and addressing the performance gap that has been the elephant in the room since Day 1.

It could simply be handing back the reservation needed for motion/gesture recognition etc. So unless you're making a kinect game you won't need it anyway.

I hope and expect they'll be keeping voice recognition.

Looool you can tell how?

OT - Great to hear. Realistically this is only be seen in games coming out near fall or a bit over summer right? Seeing as we don't really know how much of the reservation was released what gains could be seen from this? Better framerate? or higher res?
Well I believe Respawn said they were going to patch TitanFall to have a higher resolution when this update came out.

Perhaps other studios will do the same to their already released games?

792p is a product of the ESRAM. This could help framerate not resolution.

It really depends on the game. Who knows what the reason for sub res games but the devs themselves?

But even if it's due to esram, that does not mean it's not something they can't overcome.

CoG

All the arm chair computer engineers on here are positive Xbox One will never see the precious 1080p. Although its already been done with games such as Forza and Kinect Sports.

A degree in computer science and 10+ years experience makes me an "armchair computer engineer"? Sub-1080p is a product of ESRAM. Forza can hit it by sacrificing visual fidelity.

Hawk269

I guess, but its better if they can show it with game instead of talk about improvements on dev kits, etc.

Over hyping stuff is a dangerous path.

This. If they would show a video or perhaps even at E3. They mention we have new dev kits with new tools etc...etc..but the proof is in the games and here is what this update does. We have "Game X" running prior to the improvements and now Game X with the improvements. What we are seeing here is xx amount of fps improvement, xx amount of resolution improvement, xx amount of aa improvement.

I don't that would happen, but I always like seeing and example of when someone says we improved something, I like to see a before and after example, not just some twitter feed that says a lot but nothing provided shows it.

CoG

Respawn said they were going to increase res when this sdk was released. Their game is 792p. Explain?

Increase to 1080p? No. What I should have said is < 1080p is a product of ESRAM. There are things you can do to hit 1080p like no deferred rendering, sacrifice AA, and tiling but it's not the same as an update magically enabling 1080p.

Bgamer90

Banned

GPU reserve is apparently only for kinect motion so kinect video (e.g.: Skyping) and voice control will be in tact.

Games that don't use kinect motion control shouldn't have to suffer so this is good news.

It really depends on the game. Who knows what the reason for sub res games but the devs themselves?

But even if it's due to esram, that does not mean it's not something they can't overcome.

Probably devs who use a deferred rendere and don't want, have time because of release dates or immature tools to manage Esram.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's true that both systems' tool will mature and improve, but the xbone was bogged down my many handicaps that are slowly being resolved, while the PS4 is seemingly already figured out, and without many cards up its sleeves. Therefore, the perception of maturity and improvement of the xbone will be far greater, IMO. They barely even exploited the cloud and ESRAM's flexible dual bandwidth, so I'm very optimistic.

JaggedSac

Do you have a link for that? I wasn't expecting the TF performance patch to come at this point

I'm on my phone, but I will try to find and link to it.

Increase to 1080p? No. What I should have said is < 1080p is a product of ESRAM. There are things you can do to hit 1080p like no deferred rendering, sacrifice AA, and tiling but it's not the same as an update magically enabling 1080p.

Well be specific :)

A degree in computer science and 10+ years experience makes me an "armchair computer engineer"? Sub-1080p is a product of ESRAM. Forza can hit it by sacrificing visual fidelity.

If the problem lies in the esram, what visual fidelity has to do with it?

badb0y

The 40% gap calculated was both systems at optimal specifications. The extra 10% reserved for Kinect was never taken into account.

So the gap is not closing it's being realized.

ethomaz

Banned
Also, how does giving more GPU bandwidth work? Is it attained by removing the reserved kinect allocation or something that can be done overtime?
I guess it is the peak real bandwidth is increased...

The theoretical is 68 GB/s for DDR3 and 102GB/s for eSRAM but no software will ever reach that peak... so today the SDK just can reach a part of it and now MS is upgrading it to reach a new real peak.

Think like... before I can use 40GB/s and now 45GB/s of the theoretical 68GB/s... guessed numbers.

Well he is only talking too much about that...

Duxxy3

If this keeps up, the XB1 will be playing games in 4k by the end of the year. Then you add in the power of the cloud, and damn... no need for next next gen.

Top Bottom