• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"June Xbox One software dev kit gives devs access to more GPU bandwidth."

frizby

All the arm chair computer engineers on here are positive Xbox One will never see the precious 1080p. Although its already been done with games such as Forza and Kinect Sports.

All of whom? Is there a single post you can quote amongst the millions on GAF?

This post is a big salty turd.

JaggedSac

"They were talking about having it available for launch and I think there were some issues for how it was going to work," Baker told us. "It's not available for launch but we're definitely going to take advantage of that if they give that as an option. And the plan that is they will make that an option, so when it's visible we'll enable it for our game and we should be able to crank up resolution proportionally."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...xbox-one-mean-more-processing-power-for-games

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Therefore, the perception of maturity and improvement of the xbone will be far greater, IMO.

Especially when you announce every improvement on, what...three separate occasions now? ;)

(Assuming this is the same Kinect re-allocation they've telegraphed twice before since launch...)

Increase to 1080p? No. What I should have said is < 1080p is a product of ESRAM. There are things you can do to hit 1080p like no deferred rendering, sacrifice AA, and tiling but it's not the same as an update magically enabling 1080p.
You can fit a 1080p gbuffer within the esram without sacrificing/tiling anything. It's not like devs that use deferred renders use msaa anyway, because bandwidth demands skyrocket.

onQ123

NWm8noj.jpg

SDKs are always improving and gains in performance are always had as developers get better tools and more comfortable with the hardware/software. I don't know why this is news. Was a big deal made when Sony's SDKs were improved early in the PS3 life?

At this point, any improvements to the SDK will only yield small percentage gains.

Xbone can sustain about 133 GB/sec total, before this update, don't expect it to suddenly match the sustained 172 that ps4 has.

They should really stop with these tweets, all it does is give the less savvy an absurd hope that huge gains are about to be made, and give astroturfers more FUD to spread.

You still have just around 1.2ish Tflops to use, that is a hard number that is never gonna change, regardless of a software update.

Handy Fake

SDKs are always improving and gains in performance are always had as developers get better tools and more comfortable with the hardware/software. I don't know why this is news. Was a big deal made when Sony's SDKs were improved early in the PS3 life?

I think it's because it's a (perceived) "big" leap. 8% (allegedly). I think in the past the gains from improvements came in a gentle curve rather than a step like that.

That's my take on it anyway.

Caayn

Bring on the performance patches for Titanfall, Ryse, DR3 and others.

Off-topic but where is the character from in Phill Spencer's twitter and Major Nelson Gaf avatar?

Hawk269

Wait, other companies said what Respawn said? Respawn never said they were waiting for "something", they just said they were looking into it. Actually, they were talking about it a lot before launch then it went all dead silence. But I never heard of other companies saying stuff.

It would make one interesting portion of MS E3 Presser if they show 4-5 already released games seeing improvements.

JaggedSac

Well, one of the ways this is improving is different than any other, granted no other system was doing what this one was doing. They are reducing the Kinect reserve in addition to the usual performance optimizations. So that is somewhat newsworthy.

barrok

Neo Member
I guess, but its better if they can show it with game instead of talk about improvements on dev kits, etc.

Over hyping stuff is a dangerous path.

Except he changed Games with Gold and removed Netflix/Hulu from the Gold pay wall. And that is what, 2 months on the job?

Give him a break!

As I said you can sacrifice AA and deferred rendering to fit your rendering target in the 32MB of ESRAM to achieve 1080p.

Deferred rendering is a method that moves the bottleneck of some operations elsewhere (memory usage instead of multiple passes), it's not inherently a higher fidelity method.

And even then, you don't have to sacrifice it for 1080p with the esram.

One of the trials dev said that esram is a perfect fit for their 1080p gbuffer. Among the reasons he listed as to why trials isn't a 1080p game on xbone is indeed due esram, but because since they still had to support last gen they couldn't rework their engine in a way that would made it possible.

(What he said it could be done differently is keep the entire gbuffer on the esram, calculate lighting in a compute shader, and at the same time render the shadowmaps into the DDR3. In that scenario even the overall system bandwidth becomes much better used.)

I think it's because it's a (perceived) "big" leap. 8% (allegedly). I think in the past the gains from improvements came in a gentle curve rather than a step like that.

That's my take on it anyway.

From what i gathered past gains in SDK where more on the CPU side of things.

Handy Fake

Well, one of the ways this is improving is different than any other, granted no other system was doing what this one was doing. They are reducing the Kinect reserve in addition to the usual performance optimizations. So that is somewhat newsworthy.

^ That too.

I assume that when you initialise a game it'll just stop the Kinect dead and re-enable it when you close the game? Or will you have to physically unplug the peripheral?

Lol I love that video.

Alot of the changes would have happened without him I think it's just a case of getting the job at the right time.

He will be remembered as the guy who saved Xbox from completely bombing and winning back gamers.

I think they have undone all the bad stuff now - time to see how he takes it forward

JaggedSac

Wait, other companies said what Respawn said? Respawn never said they were waiting for "something", they just said they were looking into it. Actually, they were talking about it a lot before launch then it went all dead silence. But I never heard of other companies saying stuff.

It would make one interesting portion of MS E3 Presser if they show 4-5 already released games seeing improvements.

Look at my link on this page. He directly mentions waiting for this SDK for the res increase.

jem0208

^ That too.

I assume that when you initialise a game it'll just stop the Kinect dead and re-enable it when you close the game? Or will you have to physically unplug the peripheral?

No way will they make you unplug the Kinect. That would be far too clunky for the end user.

I assume it'll disable the video feature of Kinect when games are running.

Riky

$MSFT
Good news, machine has come on a bit since the initial reveal with the upclock and now this.

frizby

Reminds me of this...

iHd6F8yYQfM3R.jpg

I love tech threads. We haven't had a good one in a while, and they're great for thinning the herd.

Bgamer90

Banned
No way will they make you unplug the Kinect. That would be far too clunky for the end user.

Like I said in my previous tweet, the reserve is apparently only for kinect motion control. The video camera and voice controls will stay. People won't have to unplug their kinects.

Kayant

Oh no was just saying it's funny enough Mistermediax and his insders where saying those games will see 1080p patches.

Yep that certainly would be interesting to see but I don't see it happening personally.

MisterX or whatever his name redeemed?

Nah... Seeing as H2 isn't 1080p 60fps then no because all XB1 exclusives are supposed to be that.

Handy Fake

I agree. It feels like a daft question but you never know these days, hehe.

LordOfChaos

Do we know it was bandwidth starved before? It's the same number of ROPs, even with infinite bandwidth. 16 ROPs tends to be borderline doable on 1080p as we're seeing.

And why is the first page theory (didn't read the whole thread) that it's the Kinect removal? I thought that was a chip percentage reservation, not a bandwidth one.

792p is a product of the ESRAM. This could help framerate not resolution.

And maybe ROPs in some scenarios.

Hawk269

^ That too.

Really? Do you really think they would make people physically disconnect the Kinect to play certain games?

I would imagine it would be something that when the game loads you get a splash screens that says "When Playing Halo 5, all Kinect functions will be disabled. Kinect functions will be re-enabled upon closing the game".

They will NOT make people reach behind their consoles to unplug something to play certain games.

^ That too.

Well it can't stop kinect dead since that would disable all voice controls.

My take from this is that its just optimizations normally seen in SDK optimizations. I doubt we will see a huge impact since many multiplatform titles weren't broken (like early PS3 Games) but we're just limited by the Xbox hardware as a whole. 8% can't give you 1080p and extra frame rate, that is not enough gains to see such a substantial jump in fidelity.

Do we know it was bandwidth starved before? It's the same number of ROPs, even with infinite bandwidth. And why is the first page theory (didn't read the whole thread) that it's the Kinect removal? I thought that was a chip percentage reservation, not a bandwidth one.

I dont know 10% of the time or something like that was timesliced too kinect.
So i imaging getting 10% more time means more memory and more time to render.

Absolutely correct.

Its not that easy.
That is only if you want to keep most of the data in esram and depends on the bytes(data) per pixel you want to use.
It depends on your rendering pipeline(forward, deferred, etc)

Top Bottom