• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Jawmuncher

I mean I grew up with the characters too but we already got a shitty sequel with Malcolm and Grant both. I'm saying that there's not really any character development because it's not a character centric franchise. The characters certainly matter in the films individually that they're in, but it's never been "oh I can't wait for Jurassic Park yadda to find out what happened to Alan Grant and Ian Malcolm!" I think that's about to change though what with this being a planned "trilogy." I don't think it's going to be squarely about Claire and Owen, but again they were directly involved with everything that went down. The original was standalone upon conception and was never meant to further explore any of the characters. And despite sequels, they still didn't really explore them lol

But, hey, maybe that's just me.

That's my whole thing. It might not have worked with the first few sequels. But perhaps with this new trilogy that'll change.

I think that is where the disconnect is. For some people it's just about the dinosaurs. They are the main focus of course. But for a lot of others, the characters are still a big part of it.
You might not agree. But for me Ian & Malcolm are like those big faces in Star Wars.
Ian AND Malcolm, eh? See, I'm only a fan of Ian. Malcolm's kind of an ass.

:p

I would love for Lex and Tim to return in some capacity.

I'll fess up, I'd be down with Mazzello. He's still active. Ariana is painting or something.

Kid Tim was annoying. Adult Tim could come in and be badass.

grl5fDe.jpg

strafer

I'll fess up, I'd be down with Mazzello. He's still active. Ariana is painting or something.

Kid Tim was annoying. Adult Tim could come in and be badass.

Lex is running shop were she has dinosaur paintings and the raptors gets loose and run rampant in her little shop, then we get a scene were the raptor looks at a picture of a raptor and be all like;

giphy.gif

I would love for Lex and Tim to return in some capacity.
I still say it makes a lot of sense for Tim to come back. Like, as a board member/major shareholder who has been using InGen shares inherited from Hammond to try and preserve his legacy, against the will of the rest of the board/major shareholders. Especially with Masrani, who also wanted to preserve Hammond's legacy, out of the picture.

Fuchsdh

If anything I think it's just a case that at bare minimum, people wanna know where their favorite characters are. As an example, it would kinda be like if TFA had cut out all the older characters. It still would have been a fine movie, but I think a lot of people would be asking "But what is so & so doing?". I agree with you that they definitely shouldn't be forced. malcolm at least had a little bit of a reason to go in TLW, even if it wasn't perfect. Better than Alan who said "i'll never go" and then saw dollar signs. Which while a valid reason to get someone somewhere is rather lazy still.

So yeah I want returning characters, but I agree hopefully their inclusion would be incorporated well. Considering we know next to nothing about the next JW story, we'll just have to wait and see.

I find Alan getting pressured into giving a tour in order to finance his dig far more in-character than Malcolm deciding to Be The Hero! and find his girlfriend (who we should presume isn't an idiot and would have been fine, but then again we saw how she acted like she'd never seen wild animals before so maybe he was smarter than he looks.)

Remember the whole reason Grant and Satler go to Jurassic Park in the first place is funding their dig. It might be cynical, but the never-ending quest for money for academic research is probably the most realistic thing in any of the films.

Has anyone seen A Monster Calls yet?

I never heard of it, but someone put me onto it to help people find a public file.

This was where I got most of my videogame soundtracks back in the PS2 era. Namely, SotC, Xenogears and Kindgdom Hearts 1+2. Back before I shopped online and considered these hard to get items in NA lol.

Regarding a potential Malcolm return: What if he's head/part of some anti-Ingen type corporation that protects the rights of cloned animals or tries to stop such endeavors in the first place?

Something like that would be fine as long as his personality and dialogue is uh, like it is in the first movie. And then kill him off. That'd ruffle some feathers.

You know what's desperately needed in the Jurassic Park community?

HD screen grabs of the individual dinosaurs from the Blu Rays. Scans of the size chart from JP3. Grabs of the dinosaur turntables... that type of stuff. I wish I had a PC that could do that.

Who's up for the challenge?

maxcriden

The platforming game? Lots of fun, but yeah, you shoot a lot of dinosaurs (though with Tranqs IIRC).

You play as Alan Grant or a Raptor. You can attack the dinosaurs as Alan with sleeping darts, tasers, and a few other weapons.
As a Raptor, you fight some mercs (probably InGen, but not specified in the manual). Remember to eat whenever you can as a Raptor, as your health will go down over time on its own.

Here's a picture I just took of the weapons and power up list for Alan Grant from the manual, in case you don't have one.

And since I'm here, might as well post this. I think it's all of the Jurassic Park stuff I have right now. I used to have a bunch of toys from the first movie, and VHS tapes of the first two movies, but I lost that all a long time ago. I never lost the games, though, thankfully.

Thank you both, that is a huge help. It's great to have the manual info!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
What's with dinosaur games always having to include humans?

Someone needs to make a dino sim, where you play as one and survive and fight or something. Shooting dinos can only go so far... At least in that one JP game for SNES, you could play as a raptor, instead of Grant.

Amalthea

Banned
Someone needs to make a dino sim, where you play as one and survive and fight or something. Shooting dinos can only go so far... At least in that one JP game for SNES, you could play as a raptor, instead of Grant.
That was the Genesis version(s). And it was fun as hell.

Newly uncovered concept art (from the Phil Tippet auctions) show a Velociraptor being distracted by an artificial Dilophosaurus.. I wonder if they recycled this idea for Jurassic World purposefully. Turns out it was a coincidence, according to Colin Trevorrow.

Lots more never before seen stuff at the video here.

This would be cool but I don't really have the means unfortunately.

Yeah, same. Wish my laptop played Blu Rays. I CANNOT believe the lack of good, HD, clear reference photos online.

Just won the PC version of Operation Genesis on eBay, complete with the box/instructions. Now I have the PC and Xbox versions. Next ill be after the PS2 version, which should be the easiest of the three to get at a decent price. I actually had the PS2 version back when the game was released, but my brother traded it into GameStop (without me knowing) to purchase a World of Warcraft time card. Yeah.

Ive been thinking about starting a youtube channel centered around the various toy lines and other merchandise. Have everything I need to do it, just need a bit more planning. I know there's a few other channels like this on youtube but I think it'd just be a fun side thing to do for me personally. Either way I plan on recording a video of my collection in the near future, have a lot of new additions.

Jawmuncher

Ive been thinking about starting a youtube channel centered around the various toy lines and other merchandise. Have everything I need to do it, just need a bit more planning. I know there's a few other channels like this on youtube but I think it'd just be a fun side thing to do for me personally. Either way I plan on recording a video of my collection in the near future, have a lot of new additions.

I think that'd be a cool idea.

Keep us posted. I'd love to check it out.

Really like that concept. Feeling good about JW2 overall. I'm glad they're furthering the idea of dinosaurs as wild animals and not just monsters.

Having said that, I can't wait to see what kind of dino terror Bayona comes up with.

Bayona is what has me immediately excited. I mean, I'd be excited anyway but Bayona is more seasoned and he's possibly working with an off the rails script which has me excited. I thought the new ideas brought to the series in the last one were pretty bold and very unsafe and I think they'll continue that spirit of changing things up.

And of course you have Trevorrow talking specifically about how the next will be scarier and that he was looking at Spanish horror directors, so it really sounds like they're making more of an effort on that front. Jurassic World wasn't really scary, though the gyrosphere scene in IMAX on that first viewing was extremely intense for me. The original is still the only one that is closer to being "scary."

I was 10 and had no idea it was going to be a thriller. I hadn't even heard of it, I just thought it was going to be a cool movie with dinosaurs.

Which I mean, is true buuuut lol

Top Bottom