• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

strafer

The Last World

x6bhDGq.gif

^lol

Jurassic Earth, Jurassic Planet, Jurassic Epoch, Jurassic Apocalypse, Jurassic Extinction, Jurassic Rights, Jurassic Hybrids, Jurassic Attack, Jurassic Rescue, Jurassic What the Hell a Volcano? These are all bad, nothing but trash.

Watch it be some completely different name.

Sesha

If the movie is about the animals being threatened by a natural disaster, then I can see Jurassic Extinction being something that's been brought up in board room discussions about the title, at least. Because it's a word kind of like Cataclysm, Armageddon, Apocalypse, etc., but general audiences will kinda sorta know of it and what it means. Epoch for example doesn't, for that reason. Although Jurassic Extinction is a bit long and doesn't roll off the tongue well.

"The Jurassic Park"

Simple yet elegant.

Too long. Make it "The Jurassic".

Jurassic World branding is here to stay, that much has been confirmed by Universal and Trevorrow multiple times.

It'll be a subitle - whether or not 'EPOCH' sticks remains in question, but it is tied to the new film.

If this was WB, Jurassic World: Extinction would totally be on the table.

That was nearly the name of JP3 - but if they go extinction, they'll save it for JW3.

They confirmed the title would include the words Jurassic and World, though?

Meh, subtitles suck for me in this case, Jurassic ----- is just a lot more solid.

They confirmed the title would include the words Jurassic and World, though?

Meh, subtitles suck for me in this case, Jurassic ----- is just a lot more solid.

Yep. World branding is sticking. It was a big move, shifting from park to world, due to the need to re-brand, trademark, etc.

Expensive, also.

But anyhow, Jurassic World was chosen because the new branding can expand outside of the parks, just as the new trilogy plans. Unfortunately, JW2 seems like another island centric adventure, but that's neither here nor there.

Changing the title and branding doesn't make sense. That would be like changing from Star Wars to Universe Wars or something. JW pulled it off, but doing it constantly would be silly - especially as there are a lot of generic 'Jurassic -----' properties.

I do agree with the influx of generic properties with similar names. I just think if you're calling it Jurassic World something, it's going to be that or have a subtitle of sorts. Just not a fan of that but we'll see what they do. Maybe a slick logo can sell me on the title even if I'm not big into the format they go with.

I do agree with the influx of generic properties with similar names. I just think if you're calling it Jurassic World something, it's going to be that or have a subtitle of sorts. Just not a fan of that but we'll see what they do. Maybe a slick logo can sell me on the title even if I'm not big into the format they go with.

They could just sell it mainly as the subtitle, so rather than 'The New Epoch: Jurassic World' they just kinda call it 'The New Epoch' and have the JW logo as a smaller player, and primarily saved for the toy packages and whatnot.

They could just sell it mainly as the subtitle, so rather than 'The New Epoch: Jurassic World' they just kinda call it 'The New Epoch' and have the JW logo as a smaller player, and primarily saved for the toy packages and whatnot.

I guess I just think the style of the logo itself is better suited for the word Jurassic and whatever word follows. When you have a big five-six word title and jam it into the logo it looks like ass like TLW :p

Of course they could absolutely change this up for the next film. I think we'll get the similar dino skeleton logo and border shape, but they could adjust it.

Sesha

So it'll be Jurassic World: Subtitle then. Or Jurassic Worlds, with the s not so subtly looking like a 2.

My hope was they'd just stick with Jurassic. Star Wars works because the movies are always about wars in the stars. I can see why they want to stick with Jurassic World, though. It's a really great title. It's at least a way more flexible brand name than Jurassic Park was. The fact there is a movie called Jurassic Park 3 when it doesn't contain any parks says enough about how bad of a title that was for a series of movies.

That was nearly the name of JP3 - but if they go extinction, they'll save it for JW3.

I see why they dropped it. Calling the third or last film Extinction is such a lame and predictable move. See the third RE film, before they decided to keep going and roll through the remaining cliches.

Raptor

If the movie is about the animals being threatened by a natural disaster, then I can see Jurassic Extinction being something that's been brought up in board room discussions about the title, at least. Because it's a word kind of like Cataclysm, Armageddon, Apocalypse, etc., but general audiences will kinda sorta know of it and what it means. Epoch for example doesn't, for that reason. Although Jurassic Extinction is a bit long and doesn't roll off the tongue well.

Too long. Make it "The Jurassic".

"The Park"

Kinda ominous meaning, people will associate it with Dinos.

bengraven

Jurassic Park 3 was basically "we have no fucking clue how to do this anymore, just write scripts and we'll just piece the decent parts together".

Raptor

They should go full on Planets of the apes and make my boy say a word out of the blue.

Like:

Raptor chasing then camera pans to his face "useless to run"

Jurassic Park 3 was basically "we have no fucking clue how to do this anymore, just write scripts and we'll just piece the decent parts together".

JP3 works well enough for me as a harmless action movie. I did like what they did with the raptors though (not the dream), at least it touched on the development of raptor intelligence unlike TLW. IMO, JP, JP3, JW flow better and just fine without TLW which literally added nothing. JP3, I can watch and be like okay, this shit with the raptors, kind of setting up for what they do with the raptors in JW. TLW? I can't think of a damn thing it adds to the series.

strafer

I'm crushed at the hate TLW gets, it's definitely not a perfect movie, the San Diego part is pure nonsense but all that stuff before is great.

I'm crushed at the hate TLW gets, it's definitely not a perfect movie, the San Diego part is pure nonsense but all that stuff before is great.

San Diego being the entire climax, and it being bad, to me hurts... well, the entire climax and that's pretty shit on its own.

Kelly is awful, the gymnastics is awful, dialogue like "school cut you from the team" and them joking about double cheeseburgers as the trailer is going over the cliff is awful. That entire sequence with Stark getting lost in the jungle because he had to go ten miles away to take a leak behind a tree is awful, and even worse it keeps cutting to his bestie who can't hear him because he's listening to music with headphones on in a dinosaur-infested jungle.

Most of the tone of the film is completely drab with cinematography that isn't very striking; sure, Jurassic World didn't have great cinematography, but I would rather look at that than TLW. I hate pretty much every character except Eddie and Nick, the story felt entirely shoehorned, like it reeked of "we have to make a sequel, no questions asked," the character devel... eh, there was none, Malcolm had a totally different personality, and people are constantly doing dumb shit. I know JW gets picked on for characters doing dumb things, but I feel like I can explain most of that away, at least personally, but there's so many instances of sheer fucking stupidity in TLW that makes me scratch my head to the point where I'm digging into my brain, like how, again, in a dinosaur infested jungle, who is supposed to be an animal person hangs a bloody bag from the tent with a kid in it knowing two fucking Tyrannosaurus Rex are tracking them.

I'm sure someone could turn around and say this much about JW, but nothing really struck me as immediately stupid as half the shit in this movie. I respect your opinion, but I think it's head to toe stupid. If it didn't have Spielberg's touch behind it, most people would think it's absolutely terrible, and while I love Spielberg, I can also look past it. Great soundtrack though!

bengraven

JP3 works well enough for me as a harmless action movie. I did like what they did with the raptors though (not the dream), at least it touched on the development of raptor intelligence unlike TLW. IMO, JP, JP3, JW flow better and just fine without TLW which literally added nothing. JP3, I can watch and be like okay, this shit with the raptors, kind of setting up for what they do with the raptors in JW. TLW? I can't think of a damn thing it adds to the series.

There was at a point when I needed a Jurassic Park in my life and I just remembered leaving and trying to defend it. My gf at the time was openly hostile with me because she said she knew I disliked it and was white knighting it.

I finally relented. I loved the aviary scene and I liked Grant - even an OOC Grant - being back. But everything else was painful to me.

I may be the only person who loves the San Diego scene.

I've been wishing we could have got the actual full script filmed since the concept art leaked online back in my high school dial up days of raptors in a living room. I remember being in the theater and that tiny pilots room being full of mangled bodies and thinking "T Rez couldn't do that so we're getting the raptors!" And they never show up. I started wishing that, like Lucas was doing, they could add in the raptor scenes in a Special Editon later.

I love lost world. The hunting scenes, the atmosphere, the long grass, the trex chase, the underrated (due to the shitty gymnast scene) raptor attack at the Ingen facility...

I love lost world. The hunting scenes, the atmosphere, the long grass, the trex chase, the underrated (due to the shitty gymnast scene) raptor attack at the Ingen facility...

This is kind of my problem actually. There's good sequence setups here and literally all of them have something that completely takes me out of them and voids any enjoyment I may have had otherwise. The stuff with the Rexes tracking them? Like I said, Sarah hanging the bloody bag from the tent kills me. And then the goofy dude screaming at the top of his lungs when he sees it fishing around in the tent.

The long grass scene has a really... well, questionable shot of the black dude comedically screaming at the camera as the raptor jumps for him, which singularly kills that entire portion. The raptor chase in the facility? Almost cool! But then she fucking kills a raptor by high schooling it through a window, followed by a stupid epic badass pose as the music celebrates her badassness, followed by a terrible line.

It's like every time the movie is almost awesome there's some incredibly dumb shit there to ruin it.

Sesha

JP1 had a lot of focus about how smart raptors were, so JP3 wasn't really needed for that at all.

Both TLW and JP3 have a lot of neat ideas and cool visuals. JP3 has the "bird cage" and those scenes of Grant and the others trying to escape the raptors. TLW has some spectacular setpieces with the InGen team arriving and the whole trailer business that are great on at least a surface level. And it gave us Roland Tembo. But as a whole I don't think they add anything. TLW would have been a better follow-up to JP1 in retrospect if it took place on Isla Nublar and was about surveying the animals and InGen's plan. But it had the sequel syndrome with "a new, second island, with new environments, and no fences, and a wide open plain where the dinos live. And two T-Rexes." It made more sense at the time, even though it was still a cheap (conceptually, not budget-wise) sequel. Now as part of a 4-5 movie series that saw a relaunch that ignores the plot of the previous two movies, it's mostly pointless. And JP3 has nothing outside of the novelty of the Spinosaurus and the setpieces.

She'll be Wu's assistant who is attacked by the Quetzalcoatlus at the peak of the volcano before both are caught in the eruption.

JP1 had a lot of focus about how smart raptors were, so JP3 wasn't really needed for that at all.

I'm saying that JP1 introduced it, then JP3 went into it further with Grant and Ellie actually having a discussion about it, Grant watching them communicate, how they set traps, and how they didn't just kill the group and take the eggs immediately. It took that foundation that the original laid out and expanded on it, and Jurassic World took it even further. That alone to me made it feel more like it belonged in the franchise than TLW, which doesn't have any plot details that really carry over into any of the sequels.

strafer

of all the deaths this is probably not the way I wanna go, you will most likely still be alive when the baby starts eating you...absolute torture.

6Km8aYS.gif
CEy9izw.gif

mIF4Ked.gif

Sesha

I'm saying that JP1 introduced it, then JP3 went into it further with Grant and Ellie actually having a discussion about it, Grant watching them communicate, how they set traps, and how they didn't just kill the group and take the eggs immediately. It took that foundation that the original laid out and expanded on it, and Jurassic World took it even further. That alone to me made it feel more like it belonged in the franchise than TLW, which doesn't have any plot details that really carry over into any of the sequels.

I'd say JP3 contributed more by showing them as social animals, something JW did use, and not just psycho killer monsters. All that stuff about them being smarter than primates that could have dominated the planet and them making traps didn't really add much, I think. It just reiterated ideas from the first movie since it also had talk about how clever they were, and we also saw them set up a trap.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Most of the tone of the film is completely drab with cinematography that isn't very striking; sure, Jurassic World didn't have great cinematography, but I would rather look at that than TLW.

Okay, I'm with you on people being dumb as fuck, but I can deal and enjoy it for the fun action romp I think it is.

But the cinematography? No way. The movie is beautiful with so many striking acenes. The stampede. The death of Eddie, the raptors in the grass, the Rexin the camp. I could go on. It looks fantastic.

I loved Jurassic World, but goddamn do I wish they'd designed the dinosaurs better, and that they hadn't made the whole movie blue. I hated that blue sheen. Makes everything cold and unbelievable.

But dinos is the biggest issue I have. Especially the apatosaurus. I have the Sideshow apatosaurus, and it's just ridiculous how much more life like that looks than what we see in the movie.

Took some updated pictures of my collection, have not taken any since 2015. Going to get some new shelves in the next month or two.

MoOy7rw.jpg

Full album here

There's also some of my Godzilla collection, not pictured is my monster arts Godzilla stuff.

Took some updated pictures of my collection, have not taken any since 2015. Going to get some new shelves in the next month or two.

MoOy7rw.jpg

Full album here

There's also some of my Godzilla collection, not pictured is my monster arts Godzilla stuff.
You dwarf my collection but I love you anyway. Awesome awesome stuff. Bonus points for the Godzilla collection which I'm also obsessed with <3.

You dwarf my collection but I love you anyway. Awesome awesome stuff. Bonus points for the Godzilla collection which I'm also obsessed with <3.

So cool how many Jurassic Park fans also tend to be Godzilla fans. I go to Godzilla fest (G-Fest) in Chicago every July and when I wear my Jurassic Park shirt there I get so many compliments. Speaking of G-Fest, I wish Jurassic Park fandom had some sort of get together/convention... Id be there in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom