• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

I was like 2. I don't remember it lol. Apparently I was fine though. When it came out on VHS I watched it like every day for years haha.

It scared the hell out of me, and I was actually mad at the movie. Like literally angry toward it. So I proceeded to go see it six more times, the last I got my parents to take me out of town to see it as it had left the theater.

I wonder if they will use anything from the Lost World novel for the JW sequel, especially since Trevorrow has mentioned other companies. Could be a good time to introduce Biosyn and bring back Dodgson or a similar villain. There is a ton of unused material from that book.

I wonder if they will use anything from the Lost World novel for the JW sequel, especially since Trevorrow has mentioned other companies. Could be a good time to introduce Biosyn and bring back Dodgson or a similar villain. There is a ton of unused material from that book.

I've been wanting a Dodgson return complete with BioSyn properly being included for ages. They'd have to recast Dodgson though because of... yeah.

As for mining The Lost World, sure, why not. Both Jurassic Park III and Jurassic World did it.

I've been wanting a Dodgson return complete with BioSyn properly being included for ages. They'd have to recast Dodgson though because of... yeah.

As for mining The Lost World, sure, why not. Both Jurassic Park III and Jurassic World did it.

I really want the Carnotaurus to make an appearance too, even though the Indominus used the camo ability in JW.

I really want the Carnotaurus to make an appearance too, even though the Indominus used the camo ability in JW.

That one bums me out because the part in the little convenience store where they had to flip the lights off an on would be fantastic on screen, but I. Rex already having camouflage would dampen the impact of the scene.

I loved the Carn in JP3. I mean the scene was silly as all hell, but it was a cool looking dinosaur.

As far as Dodgson, I mean I guess it would be cool but they'd probably have to recast :p

Not that it'd be a big deal anyway, he was barely in the first movie and shady af.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I loved the Carn in JP3. I mean the scene was silly as all hell, but it was a cool looking dinosaur.

As far as Dodgson, I mean I guess it would be cool but they'd probably have to recast :p

Not that it'd be a big deal anyway, he was barely in the first movie and shady af.

That's not a carnotaurus, but a ceratosaurus. Carnotaurus has horns above its eyes.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Saw JP in theaters when I was 10. Couldn't understand why people thought it was scary. My whole face was a big, stupid grin the whole way through.

As soon as I got the VHS I watched it every single day for a couple of years.

The Lost World is one of the earliest movies I actually remember seeing in theatres (Toy Story being the earliest), but only barely. I'm kind of surprised it's so foggy since I was 6. I remember a lot of stuff around seeing it though, like being super excited to see it beforehand and dressing as an InGen merc for Halloween after, lol.

Jawmuncher

Saw JP in theaters when I was 10. Couldn't understand why people thought it was scary. My whole face was a big, stupid grin the whole way through.

As soon as I got the VHS I watched it every single day for a couple of years.

Yeah my mom tells me the story of taking me to see JP when I was 3. It was apparently the only thing on my mind when it was coming out, and she took me opening day which was packed so we had to sit in the very front. But she said I was glued the entire time, and unlike the other kids wasn't scared at all.

I still say i recall one part of that. Which was funny enough the Dilophosaurs scene. Like I remember being in the front, and the frills coming out. Why that specific scene I dunno, but I recall it.

Snaku

Banned

Same, only I was 9. My mother was super protective about what I was allowed to watch. She wouldn't even let me watch Gremlins. I begged for months for them to take me to see it. She eventually gave in when I said I'd give up my Gameboy, which I was playing nearly 12 hours a day at that point, for a whole month. Needless to say after being lulled into a false sense of calm by the Brachiosaurus/Raptor birth/sick Triceratops she was horrified by the end of the film. I on the other hand was completely blown away, totally obsessed, and in love. It had to be how kids felt when they saw Star Wars for the first time in theaters.

I scrapped together every dime, nickel, and penny I could find in the house, walked to the convenience store across the street and bought the novel. Was hard to read at that age, but I pushed through till about half way when I had an accident and broke my back. My mom read the rest of it to me while I was hospitalized, and she got my uncle who had a friend that owned a movie theater to have a bootleg VHS copy of the film made for me to watch in the hospital. The picture and sound quality was almost unwatchable, but I didn't care.

I guess all of those experiences combined to leave such a strong and lasting love for Jurassic Park, and it helping me through the hardest time of my life is why it's my favorite movie of all time.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah my mom tells me the story of taking me to see JP when I was 3. It was apparently the only thing on my mind when it was coming out, and she took me opening day which was packed so we had to sit in the very front. But she said I was glued the entire time, and unlike the other kids wasn't scared at all.

I still say i recall one part of that. Which was funny enough the Dilophosaurs scene. Like I remember being in the front, and the frills coming out. Why that specific scene I dunno, but I recall it.

Oh, that scene is so great. I remember there was this bit on a movie show on TV where they talked about how this was not a movie for kids. So they brought kid who was a dino fan, and filmed him as he watched the movie while being visibly shaken.

I was pretty much offended by the whole thing and thought "HE is supposed to be a dino freak?!". Hehe.

strafer

Also, did any of you guys have TLW related snacks? I remember here there was a lot of stuff with TLW on you could get at the grocery store.

Soda
Snacks
candy

It was a great time.

Also, did any of you guys have TLW related snacks? I remember here there was a lot of stuff with TLW on you could get at the grocery store.

Soda
Snacks
candy

It was a great time.

Cereal was the best:

3655200047_df450cebec.jpg

The 90s were probably the best decade for kids' breakfasts

I went to a pawn shop and they actually had two boxes of that The Jurassic Park Crunch wrapped in plastic. They were 10 each and I almost bought them.

I would've bought both, and eaten one. Sure, I'd be having my stomach pumped later, but it'd be worth it just to be 7 years old again for just a brief moment...

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The only promo I remember, was some deal that might've been Canadian-specific. Buy a box of Coca-Cola, get a free JP figure. I ended up getting all 4. I think I mentioned them way early on in this OT, since they ended up being made by some European/Australian toy company. I really need to dig those out some day...

Did anyone get those papercrafts from McDonalds? Those were pretty neat, too.

Jawmuncher

I used to have all of those. I pray that Jurassic World 2 has the same kind of marketing The Lost World did. I want to see all sorts of stuff.

Jawmuncher

This is still the best Dinosaur Toy of all time. The size was perfect for the majority of action figures out there. The build quality (Outside of losing the arms easy) was outstanding, and that paint job...

C2p37jYWEAAwtzs.jpg

Really puts the shit hasbro put out to shame. Though they did get better with their hybrid line. At least the Hybrid Indominus anyway.

Kinda off topic, but in general it feels like a good chunk of toys for kids these days are kinda cutting corners. Cheap quality, but still the same price as back in the day.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda off topic, but in general it feels like a good chunk of toys for kids these days are kinda cutting corners. Cheap quality, but still the same price as back in the day.

Kenner's humans were pretty crappy though :p Still, the dinos were absolutely amazing, especially with all the detail. That latex-y material they used on some, really gave them a dino-y feel.

Another example would be the new Power Ranger Zords. Say what you want about the overall design, but toy quality? It's... pretty bad. Maybe it's because the toy market is shrinking, thanks to electronics as "toys"? I heard something about Hasbro and Mattel doing a possible merger, too.

For now though, I'll stick with my Japanese toys :x Pricey, but worth it. Some day I'll pick up some Papos, too!

I saw all of the movies in theater. I think I was 6 when Jurassic Park released. I saw it with my mom and my two brothers. I think we ended up going straight to a store to buy the toys afterwards. Hah.

I miss the toys. I think my brothers and I had all of these:

I had some of those Dino Trackers and Evil Raiders, too, as well as at least a few of the dinosaurs from Series 2. I might have had one or two Lost World figures and vehicles, but I'm not sure.

Jawmuncher

Kenner's humans were pretty crappy though :p Still, the dinos were absolutely amazing, especially with all the detail. That latex-y material they used on some, really gave them a dino-y feel.

Another example would be the new Power Ranger Zords. Say what you want about the overall design, but toy quality? It's... pretty bad. Maybe it's because the toy market is shrinking, thanks to electronics as "toys"? I heard something about Hasbro and Mattel doing a possible merger, too.

For now though, I'll stick with my Japanese toys :x Pricey, but worth it. Some day I'll pick up some Papos, too!

I didn't think about that, but it makes sense. So many kids these days just wanna play on ipads and the like, that toys are almost more of a collector thing now in terms of getting the big money.

This is still the best Dinosaur Toy of all time. The size was perfect for the majority of action figures out there. The build quality (Outside of losing the arms easy) was outstanding, and that paint job...

Really puts the shit hasbro put out to shame. Though they did get better with their hybrid line. At least the Hybrid Indominus anyway.

Hasbro did show potential in 2013 with the Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus, probably the best Jurassic Park toys since the Lost World lines. Seeing the JW line after those two fantastic toys was such a buzzkill.

Hasbro did show potential in 2013 with the Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus, probably the best Jurassic Park toys since the Lost World lines. Seeing the JW line after those two fantastic toys was such a buzzkill.

Supposedly Hasbro didn't think the movie would be a hit and made the toyline on the cheap as a result (hence also why almost no humans or vehicles).

Yes, it was basically Star Wars all over again....

Sesha

They don't need to call it JW2 (or JP5 for that matter). Audiences will know it's the sequel to JW without having the 2 on the end.

It'll either be Jurassic Park 5 (unlikely) or Jurassic ______. Jurassic World 2 seems pretty unlikely since it's not like "World" specifically has the brand power and everyone involved feels JW is JP4 and this will be JP5. Assuming the premise is legit though, I'm not exactly sure what a new name could be that would work. Everything beyond just plain numbered sequel that I've seen suggested kind of sucks, lol

Also, I really wonder where the fuck you go from Dino PETA + volcano eats Isla Nublar for JP6.

Anyone says Jurassic War and I cut them

It'll either be Jurassic Park 5 (unlikely) or Jurassic ______. Jurassic World 2 seems pretty unlikely since it's not like "World" specifically has the brand power and everyone involved feels JW is JP4 and this will be JP5. Assuming the premise is legit though, I'm not exactly sure what a new name could be that would work. Everything beyond just plain numbered sequel that I've seen suggested kind of sucks, lol

I would still take a meh title over something with a number. I don't like the style of The Lost World: Jurassic Park either. So Jurassic Park 3 was pretty funny to me and feels so out of place. Jurassic World was a pretty great title, so it'll be interesting to see what they go with next time.

I would still take a meh title over something with a number. I don't like the style of The Lost World: Jurassic Park either. So Jurassic Park 3 was pretty funny to me and feels so out of place. Jurassic World was a pretty great title, so it'll be interesting to see what they go with next time.
I think it's funny how JP has fuck all for naming conventions.

Let's keep it going

Dino Rescue: A Jurassic Park Story
Jurassic Park: Episode V - Escape from Isla Nublar
Jurassic: Fuck it, the Fifth One
Jurassic 5

I think it's funny how JP has fuck all for naming conventions.

Right? I don't like TLW, but I moderately enjoy JP3 as a quick bit of fun. I actually don't own TLW, so on my shelf it's Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park 3, and Jurassic World. At least they all start with Jurassic! It's a weird problem, likely something screwed up mentally, but yeah if they do something "convoluted" again like TLW:JP I'll lose my shit.

Jurassic: Fuck it, the Fifth One
Jurassic 5

Just Sharknado it.

It could be worse though, see: the fuckery with Predator lol

Predator
Predator 2
Predators
The Predator

I'm thinking the next one is The Predators, followed by The Predators 2.

Or worse, whatever the fuck is going on with Fast and the Furious, Christ lol.

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
The Fate of the Furious

Jesus Christ lol

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Or worse, whatever the fuck is going on with Fast and the Furious, Christ lol.

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
The Fate of the Furious

Jesus Christ lol

Then to add to that how they are out of chronological order >_> Bad bad bad.

I don't even bother with the Furious stuff. Everything I've seen from it is garbage. Those titles though lol

How do you know this? So they're going back to Park with this movie?

The director said that they're looking at it as Jurassic Park 5 and not Jurassic World 2, it's all part of the same thing, JW was a new start but it's all part of the chronology. So Jurassic World isn't its own series, it's just the fourth Jurassic Park movie, hence why they won't be calling it something like JW2.

Sesha

I expect they'll go Jurassic World: Subtitle, or Jurassic Noun.

Let's just go the way of the Batman: Arkham games. Jurassic Universe, here we come.

Something like Jurassic Earth would be cool, though it's redundant of Jurassic World.

Tricky, to be honest. It also has to be marketable.

Top Bottom