• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Posting to this thread:

It's a hard-workin' Dilo!

LZ5FM4S.jpg

Another Apatomatronic!

I mean, I think it makes sense to me that they at least revisited some of the gene sequences and mixed it a bit up.

I guess what bugs me is it seemed to have lost some of its unique characteristics, and looks more like a retool of a few other dinosaurs. On top of that, the Dilo remained unchanged for 25 years, so I was hoping they would keep it the same and mess with color only.

But then again, this is a blurry leak so when we see the full thing I may change my tune.

I'm pumped it's back either way.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I guess what bugs me is it seemed to have lost some of its unique characteristics, and looks more like a retool of a few other dinosaurs. On top of that, the Dilo remained unchanged for 25 years, so I was hoping they would keep it the same and mess with color only.

But then again, this is a blurry leak so when we see the full thing I may change my tune.

I'm pumped it's back either way.
Ok, you are right of course.

Amalthea

Banned
I can imagine the hybrid already.
I don't even mind the hybrids that much but even JP Spitter had more correctDilophosaurus features (like the slight gap in its snout wich is subtly hidden with skin in the JP Dilo or the thorns at the end of the crests) than that thing from the new set photos.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I can't lie. That dilo looks terrible. Both scientificly, and since it looks like a rubbery puppet, even with the bad picture quality. So much is wrong with that head, and I don't really get why they'd change the design after they used the old JP design for the hologram in JW. For movies about dinosaurs I find it a bit disturbing that they seem to get less and less scientificly accurate with each installment. Does no one with actual dinosaur knowledge work on these films these days?

The only thing I'm happy about herebis its size. Maybe we'll get a death scene similar to Nedrys death in the book. Boyega should be able to pull that off pretty well.

I can't lie. That dilo looks terrible. Both scientificly, and since it looks like a rubbery puppet, even with the bad picture quality. So much is wrong with that head, and I don't really get why they'd change the design after they used the old JP design for the hologram in JW. For movies about dinosaurs I find it a bit disturbing that they seem to get less and less scientificly accurate with each installment. Does no one with actual dinosaur knowledge work on these films these days?

The only thing I'm happy about herebis its size. Maybe we'll get a death scene similar to Nedrys death in the book. Boyega should be able to pull that off pretty well.
Even re the size it could be smaller than it looks due to the perspective - it might be the same size as in the original movie...

So what happened to consistency with the franchise? Why does the Dilophosaurus look nothing like the first movie? How are they going to explain that?

So what happened to consistency with the franchise? Why does the Dilophosaurus look nothing like the first movie? How are they going to explain that?

To be fair, the raptors have changed with every installment, sometimes dramatically. Although that in itself is weird. JP3 raptors were always my favorite.

Well, given they are all genetically engineered hybrids, it could probably be explained by a different source of DNA from the ones in JPI.

And heck, the series has always played fast and loose with dino sizes. Dilo should be the size of the raptors, and the raptors should be the size of a turkey.

In case you wanted to look at a full size crop of only the dinos:

rRVNyX9.jpg

Notice the Rex in backdrop? Not sure what's going on there, but this is certainly just a museum statue diorama, as was the Dilo.

Probably James Cromwells characters house.

Yep, I'm betting the same thing.

And via leaked production materials, we know the house is called
Lockwood Manor/Estate

Amalthea

Banned
So how likely will it be that there will be actual dinosaurs in the manor but the people won't know wich one is alive? Kinda like in JP 3 with the lab.

Watching JW right now (some last night) and I really don't get the complaints. This isn't even just Jurassic/dino fan bias. The film is well directed, shot, edited and, for the most part, acted.

Even looking at just the Owen/raptor reveal, the way it sets up the characters, themes and the build-up of tension culminating in Hoskins giving that "uh huh" grin before walking away, it's so well crafted.

I even love the symmetry of Owens snatching the mosquito that was bugging Claire and she shooting the dimorphodon chomping at Owens.

The attack on the gyrosphere and the I-Rex waiting, ready to pounce, for the boys to surface was pretty horrifying.

Fucking critics and dinguses caught up in "Trevorrow hates women" and high heels... First of all, I didn't think the film needed to have some male-approved feminsist agenda and I thought her (the character and the actress) defiance to go against the typical "strong female character" trope was more empowering. Not wanting kids, wanting to dress "femininely" and powerful, refusing to take off the heels and getting shit done in them despite being told to remove them, and saving the day... twice.

I don't know, I just think the film is brilliant and has more depth than every pretend fan gives it credit for. That's not to say you're only a fan and you're opinion's worthy if you liked it, but there's a clear distinction between constructive critism and whatever the hell those bullshit, drive-by anti-Trevorrow posts are.

Sorry. Too ranty for our circle of fandom here?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'll never get the whole high heels thing. Sure, it looked a little silly watching it, but whayever. I hope whoever started freaking out about it took it out on things like Sailor Moon too. It may be animation, but they ALL run with high heels...

Gravidee

I'm not sure what the story is with that prop, but if I remember, the dilophosaurus hologram from JW looked pretty close to the one from JP did it not?

Jawmuncher

That prop is more than likely nothing more than prop we probably will barely even see in the movie. The way it looks, it's not even supposed to be seen as a stuffed dinosaur or anything.

Top Bottom