• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Gravidee

That prop is more than likely nothing more than prop we probably will barely even see in the movie. The way it looks, it's not even supposed to be seen as a stuffed dinosaur or anything.

It could even just be a stand-in for what will be replaced by a digital model.

Nah, not a stand in or anything like that, just another statue inside of the mansion - it doesn't look like a JP dino, because it's not tied to JP dinos, bur rather a private collection. If I had to guess, the owner is older and dinos look more monstrous as they're outdated reconstructions or something.

Jawmuncher

Nah, not a stand in or anything like that, just another statue inside of the mansion - it doesn't look like a JP dino, because it's not tied to JP dinos, bur rather a private collection. If I had to guess, the owner is older and dinos look more monstrous as they're outdated reconstructions or something.

What's going on with the game. You think that'll be at E3?

Watching JW right now (some last night) and I really don't get the complaints. This isn't even just Jurassic/dino fan bias. The film is well directed, shot, edited and, for the most part, acted.

Even looking at just the Owen/raptor reveal, the way it sets up the characters, themes and the build-up of tension culminating in Hoskins giving that "uh huh" grin before walking away, it's so well crafted.

I even love the symmetry of Owens snatching the mosquito that was bugging Claire and she shooting the dimorphodon chomping at Owens.

The attack on the gyrosphere and the I-Rex waiting, ready to pounce, for the boys to surface was pretty horrifying.

Fucking critics and dinguses caught up in "Trevorrow hates women" and high heels... First of all, I didn't think the film needed to have some male-approved feminsist agenda and I thought her (the character and the actress) defiance to go against the typical "strong female character" trope was more empowering. Not wanting kids, wanting to dress "femininely" and powerful, refusing to take off the heels and getting shit done in them despite being told to remove them, and saving the day... twice.

I don't know, I just think the film is brilliant and has more depth than every pretend fan gives it credit for. That's not to say you're only a fan and you're opinion's worthy if you liked it, but there's a clear distinction between constructive critism and whatever the hell those bullshit, drive-by anti-Trevorrow posts are.

Sorry. Too ranty for our circle of fandom here?

I wouldn't say the film is "brilliant" but I think the hate for it is really, really overblown for it, especially here on GAF.

I went in expecting just a decent, 6 or 7 out of 10 popcorn creature feature (which was basically the consensus on Rotten Tomatoes) and that's basically what I got. It was obviously never gonna touch the original film but I still enjoyed it more than TLW or JP3. And yet I come on to GAF's off-topic boards and see everyone absolutely obliterating it. It was pretty weird to me.

Jawmuncher

The dinosaurs eating that girl brutally did nothing wrong. I'm hoping JA Bayona has some cool stuff cooking, since he's supposed to be the darker director and all. I want these aggressive dinosaurs. I doubt i'll ever see a big budget R rated dino flick, so at least get as close as you can with a PG-13

That's exactly what it looks like, so yeah, I'm in this camp as well.

Brofield

I was hoping way sooner, and it's worth noting that JurassicWorldSurvivor.com was just transferred from Perfect World Entertainment to Universal Pictures ownership.

So I hope that something is coming soon.

God, I nearly forgot about the game. Does JO have any collected details on what's known of the game so far? I remember seeing some demo animations for a JW game that was either canned, on hiatus or still being worked on but came from the portfolio of someone who worked on a game project at some point

Jawmuncher

I was hoping way sooner, and it's worth noting that JurassicWorldSurvivor.com was just transferred from Perfect World Entertainment to Universal Pictures ownership.

So I hope that something is coming soon.

Good.

God, I nearly forgot about the game. Does JO have any collected details on what's known of the game so far? I remember seeing some demo animations for a JW game that was either canned, on hiatus or still being worked on but came from the portfolio of someone who worked on a game project at some point

That's the same game.
http://jurassicoutpost.com/cancelled-jurassic-world-video-game-back-development/

TK-421

I'm disappointed no one posted this yet

RG0BS1U.gif

Now get Sam, laura, joe and ariana and we are set.
I imagine there's a good shot for any of them to come back in Jurassic 6, particularly depending on how this one goes.

I still think Tim is a perfect fit for this trilogy, narratively speaking, given that Hammond has passed, it's been decades since we last saw Tim, and conservation is apparently a central theme in 5. It makes so much sense to me to have a Tim that's inherited a chunk of Hammond's wealth, acting in his place with a staunch conservationalist bend in honor of Hammond's change of heart between JP and TLW. Especially after Masrani and the last vestiges of Hammond's original dream died with Jurassic World.

The Ben Lockwood thing is cooler to me because it's actually something new, but if this movie can Make Malcolm Great Again and save face for TLW, giving it even less a reason to exist than it already has, that's fantastic.

Well, Koepp isn't scripting and she's all grown up now so I imagine it would be fine. I doubt she grew up to be a professional middle school raptor killing gymnast.

James Cromwell shares a lot about Jurassic World 2:

James Cromwell said:
“The character Richard Attenborough plays [John Hammond], I’m his partner, uh Benjamin Lockwood, and we developed the technology of being able to clone the genes – and so I am, uh, trying to deal with the blowback from what we have done.”

My mind is doing all sorts of wtfs right now, I'm hyped.

Didnt realise I live about 10min drive from where this is being filmed. Might have to take a trip over.

If you go, it's worth noting that they're most filming in the evenings!

“The character Richard Attenborough plays [John Hammond], I’m his partner, uh Benjamin Lockwood, and we developed the technology of being able to clone the genes – and so I am, uh, trying to deal with the blowback from what we have done.”

Was he trying to do his best Malcolm impression? :p

Interesting. I wonder if he will actually be played more as a conscientious objector-type role compared to Hammond. There has to be a reason he wasn't mentioned until now. It makes sense that he and Hammond parted ways due to moral differences.

Was he trying to do his best Malcolm impression? :p

*quickly licks lips*

Jawmuncher

So Sam and Jeff were both on Thor Raganrok, so wouldn't that mean their schedules opened up at the same time after that film?

I half expect JW2 to have a SW:TFA ending and tease Alan Grant at the end.

strafer

So Sam and Jeff were both on Thor Raganrok, so wouldn't that mean their schedules opened up at the same time after that film?

so a Raptor will kill Alan with a lightsaber and then fall of a cliff?

If anything, a Grant easter egg like Malcolms book.

I wouldn't expect anything else in JW2.

strafer

I don't think you could convince Alan to get chased by dinosaurs again. He's been through some shit, both literally and figurately.

Regarding Malcolm, I've come around but am still hoping he's a supporting role that doesn't overshadow Owen and Claire. Those are the new main characters established in the first movie of the new trilogy. Even if you don't care for them, there's no saying you won't the next time or that the new movie can't make them better characters. Just like with Force Awakens for example, they were introduced but the second part of the trilogy is where they should get more interesting.

Also if they pull it off, they could redeem how shit he was in The Lost World. But they'll need the script, Bayona and Goldblum to all be in-sync to make that happen. Just Goldblum being there isn't enough, as demonstrated by TLW.

Jawmuncher

I don't think you could convince Alan to get chased by dinosaurs again. He's been through some shit, both literally and figurately.

Get alan into a story wouldn't be hard, but yeah I doubt he would do anything more than some sort of advisory role.

Regarding Malcolm, I've come around but am still hoping he's a supporting role that doesn't overshadow Owen and Claire. Those are the new main characters established in the first movie of the new trilogy. Even if you don't care for them, there's no saying you won't the next time or that the new movie can't make them better characters. Just like with Force Awakens for example, they were introduced but the second part of the trilogy is where they should get more interesting.

Also if they pull it off, they could redeem how shit he was in The Lost World. But they'll need the script, Bayona and Goldblum to all be in-sync to make that happen. Just Goldblum being there isn't enough, as demonstrated by TLW.

WUT.
tumblr_nfr6k4tkcr1rsjwfykg.gif

He was easily the best thing about the film outside of the dino action. Regardless, we've discussed this before. I don't think anyone wants the older characters to take the spotlight. But much like the force awakens, fans would like to know what the old cast is up to. Kind of like what I said above, I don't think anyone is expecting anything crazy from returning characters. But it's just a nice little thing to help build the universe of the series.

He was shoehorned into it due to his characters' popularity in the first movie, the script and direction of the character was almost completely different, his girlfriend was dumb as fuck and his daughter did not help.

You'll excuse me if I wasn't a big fan :p Goldblum was still good in the film obviously, I just hated every single thing they did with his character.

Also it's been decades, I don't need to know what a couple of dudes who were there the first time and now write books and do their own thing are up to.

It's not like Force Awakens where it's a direct continuation, it's Episode VI to Episode VII, and Jurassic Park isn't nearly as character-centric as Star Wars.

The first Jurassic World didn't need Malcolm or Grant involved in the new story. Jurassic World wasn't jarring without them.

If Episode VII didn't have Luke, Han and Leia, that would be jarring because that's going from the sixth episode to the seventh episode of the same thing.

edit: he wasn't the best thing about the movie, the soundtrack was :p

He was shoehorned into it due to his characters' popularity in the first movie, the script and direction of the character was almost completely different, his girlfriend was dumb as fuck and his daughter did not help.

You'll excuse me if I wasn't a big fan :p Goldblum was still good in the film obviously, I just hated every single thing they did with his character.

Also it's been decades, I don't need to know what a couple of dudes who were there the first time and now write books and do their own thing are up to.

It's not like Force Awakens where it's a direct continuation, it's Episode VI to Episode VII, and Jurassic Park isn't nearly as character-centric as Star Wars.

The first Jurassic World didn't need Malcolm or Grant involved in the new story. Jurassic World wasn't jarring without them.

If Episode VII didn't have Luke, Han and Leia, that would be jarring because that's going from the sixth episode to the seventh episode of the same thing.

edit: he wasn't the best thing about the movie, the soundtrack was :p

My man.

Malcolm in TLW felt like a different character. It's like they scored Goldblum after the script was written and CTRL + F and replaced the name.

Getting Westworld vibes with the Hammond partner angle.

I also kind of thought the same as well, but given Hammond's partner by necessity has a different backstory (cuz, you know, spoilers lol) I thought Woz might be a little more accurate haha. Unless of course they're taking a hard right towards hard sci-fi this time lol.

At least Alan in JP3 was the same.
He's a lot more exaggerated, but I think both Alan and Malcolm are in line with what their characters would be like after enduring what they did.

strafer

We got a Stego!

I love how nowadays we have access to finding sneak pics like these. Studios may hate it, But I've always loved watching "the making of" segments, and now it's like in real time.

Can you imagine if the T-rex mainroad attack in Jurassic Park hadn't been a set? Seeing a big T-rex animatronic in the wild. Would have ruined the big moment in the movie though, so luckily they didn't.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Can you imagine if the T-rex mainroad attack in Jurassic Park hadn't been a set? Seeing a big T-rex animatronic in the wild. Would have ruined the big moment in the movie though, so luckily they didn't.

The first movie still has the best theater experience of my life. I have a poor memory, but it was an unforgettable experience as a kid. That scene especially was just amazing.

Top Bottom