• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC PARK - A Thread 65 Million Years In The Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

ot2gnu8e.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Can we bitch about the revolting mediocrity of the first film compared to the original novel?

Man, I can't believe I'm still bitter about that.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Was on AMC in glorious commercial-interrupted, moderately censored HD today.

A friend and I caught JP1 at a local theater that does "retro" showings occasionally a few months back. Not surprisingly, it holds up, but moves at a faster clip than I remembered.

Tron 2.0

The first film is the last time special effects in film really made me wonder, "How did they do that?"

Nowadays there's no sense of wonder. How did they do that? Computers, obviously.

The second film is pretty much garbage from frame one.

The third...well, it has Sam Neill in it again. And this hilarious dream sequence.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Scullibundo said:
The third one really is awful. I caught it again recently. I also can't believe how short it is. Thank fuck.

There are infinitely more crappy action movies out there. JP3 at least has an entertaining moment here or there and some nifty CG. As a comparison to JP1? Sure, it's shit, but so was Spielberg's own sequel.

Touch

Jurassic Park: 65 million years ago dinosaurs weren't this believable!

seriously why has no one done it better?

Saw the first one in theaters not too long ago, excellent experience. I loved the movie as a kid, but some of it did wear off if I'm being completely honest. I had a different picture of it as what I remember. Still highly enjoyable though, but not god-tier for me.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Funky Papa said:
Can we bitch about the revolting mediocrity of the first film compared to the original novel?

Agreed. I hated the whole "Grant hates kids" subplot that Spielberg put in.

And the kids were annoying, too. "I'm a hacker." Yeah, right, lol.

Peru

Jurassic Park is definitely my Star Wars - it was a formative cinema-going experience and just looking at the logo today stirs feelings deep inside me. It's not just the special effects, or the action, or beasts, but the idea of this universe - the park, the merchandise, the on-rails sightseeing ride. Everything was 100% compelling.

And it put a fascination for dinosaurs in me that I can't say I've lost despite growing too old for the toys.

Funky Papa said:

i greatly prefered the movie. maybe because i read the book afterwards
i don't remember the book much but the whole plot with raptors at the end was kind of tedious

also no Jeff Goldblum in the book, so movie wins!

awesome thread. probably my second favorite movie ever, just behind raiders of the lost ark.

also, I'm just gonna come right out and say it. i like the lost world almost as much as the original. I honestly don't see what everyone dislikes about it other than gymnast raptor killing scene, and t-rex in city scene. and I don't find either of those scenes that bad.

I'll agree that JP3 was pretty bad though...

bud

op contains some rather huge errors. they only made one jurassic park film. one. the first one. that's it.

kehs

Banned
I'm guessing this thread was inspired by the fact that it's playing on AMC at the moment.

To that, I have to ask, why are you not watching the superior I, Robot on FX?

Salsa

Copernicus said:
I'm guessing this thread was inspired by the fact that it's playing on AMC at the moment.

To that, I have to ask, why are you not watching the superior I, Robot on FX?

Jesus Christ.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Why couldn't they be more faithful to novels? The hunter dude was supposed to be a badass, not end up being lunch for a damn raptor. Oh and the lawyer...fuck you Speilberg for what you did to that character.

First movie is what got me hooked on films. I must have watched it around 150+ times.

It still holds up, and I think it will always be in my favorite movies of all time.

Snaku

Banned
This movie, among other things, inspired me to pursue a career in paleobiology. You could say Jurassic Park is my life.

Pachimari

Never watched 2 & 3 or at least I don't remember them, but I got the first one by my parents when I were a child. I'm thinking of getting the Blu-ray and watch it with the HMZ-T1 Personal 3D Viewer by Sony.

When is the Blu-ray coming out? Any details on it?

JB1981

The first movie was one of the defining cinematic experiences of my childhood. Great thread. Sequels sucked .... JP2 actually has some pretty good scenes and moments. Too bad the plot focused on the wrong things and Jeff Goldblum hammed it up. I mean, really, how many fucking times is Spielberg going to shoot a close-up of him saying a one-liner or something witty to the camera? "Mommy's very angry." His character was so good in the first movie too.

Pete Posthelwait was the best character in JP2, should have been about him. He could have been Jurassic Park's Quint.

CG T-rex in those night sequences still looks real as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom