• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC PARK - A Thread 65 Million Years In The Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jme

I was 11 years old when Jurassic Park was theatrically released. I managed to convince various family/friends to take me to see it 6 times in the first couple of weeks. It completely blew my fucking mind. I am still not sick of watching it. The other two however...

Jme said:
I was 11 years old when Jurassic Park was theatrically released. I managed to convince various family/friends to take me to see it 6 times in the first couple of weeks. It completely blew my fucking mind. I am still not sick of watching it. The other two however...
Haha, right on!

This is the only movie I've seen in theaters more than once. I only saw it 3 times in theaters, and I think I was... 4 or 5 at the time. My dad told me, after the first time I watched it, that I turned to him and said "That's the best movie I've ever seen in my life." Still cracks me up, but it's pretty accurate, to this day.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Jme said:

Saw it 3 times in theaters. Even went and saw the weird PG version they put in a month afterwards so they could make even more money

I feel like I may be the only one who remembers that.

When I was a kid I must have watched Jurassic Park hundreds of times. I actually wore out one of the VHS tapes and had to buy another. I had a serious love and fascination of dinosaurs and Jurassic Park was pretty much the perfect movie for me. God damn I love that movie. I also really enjoyed The Lost World despite a lot of my friends not liking it.

Sibylus

Banned
Movie scared the shit out of me as a kid, gave me nightmares. Good times.

Loved dinosaurs at the time and inhaled every book on dinosaurs I could get my hands on.

jgminto said:
Jurassic Park is the reason I have a gun boner for the SPAS-12. Even if it does suck against raptors.
JP is the reason I often call the SPAS "raptor shotgun" in Left 4 Dead 2.

strafer

d8I6l.jpg

3U4m7.jpg

dem toys

JdFoX187

Banned
Jurassic Park was probably one of the most memorable movie experiences for me as a kid. I remember seeing a one sheet for it when Dad and I were going to another movie about six months before it was set to come out. I got so excited, since I love dinosaurs, that I begged him to go to this shitty mall theater to see it since it was the only one showing it on opening day. I think I ended up seeing it three or four times in the theater. I got it on VHS for a Christmas present and played it so much that the tape wore out.

Great, great movie.

I saw the first Jurrasic Park in the theater on opening weekend. It's the only movie I can remember where the audience gave a standing ovation when the credits started to roll.

The two sequels are horrible, however. Looking back, it does make me kind of sad that JP1 pretty much sounded the death knell for practical visual effects.

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
I enjoyed the Jurassic Park movies. I didn't dislike the third one that much. The first two were great. Maybe I just like dinosaur movies.

I am in the small camp of really liking the third movie. It was not a strong narrative, but it was basically all the cool parts of the first book that were cut from the movie. It was simply. Get people to island with dinosaurs, have dinosaurs stalk and eat people. Simple.

It is a great, mindless movie to watch some days. It is at least better than the pile of shit that was The Lost World. Ugh. That is one of the only films I have left the theater cursing up a storm. But that may be because I read the book first.

JB1981

PhoncipleBone said:
I am in the small camp of really liking the third movie. It was not a strong narrative, but it was basically all the cool parts of the first book that were cut from the movie. It was simply. Get people to island with dinosaurs, have dinosaurs stalk and eat people. Simple.

It is a great, mindless movie to watch some days. It is at least better than the pile of shit that was The Lost World. Ugh. That is one of the only films I have left the theater cursing up a storm. But that may be because I read the book first.
Is the Lost World book good ?

bengraven

kkaabboomm said:

Best

fucking

pinball

machine

ever

kkaabboomm said:
damn right! the t-rex eats the ball! raptor pen, crack the egg, boat house, the 'shoot the ball' mechanism matches up with the 'shoot the raptor' graphic on the screen for bonus points... what a fun game

IAN

FREEEEZE

JB1981 said:
Is the Lost World book good ?

Leagues better than the film. The only similarities are the title, a few characters, and a few scenes. I havent read it since it came out in hardcover, but I remember it being awesome. It had Dodson as the main antagonist, and none of that dino in San Diego bullshit.

Coolest parts from the book that were missing were the raptor stampede and the super chameleons.

Dead

well not really...yet
The Lost World book was essentially a sequel to the first movie, rather than the original book, which is pretty funny...

JB1981

PhoncipleBone said:
Leagues better than the film. The only similarities are the title, a few characters, and a few scenes. I havent read it since it came out in hardcover, but I remember it being awesome. It had Dodson as the main antagonist, and none of that dino in San Diego bullshit.

Coolest parts from the book that were missing were the raptor stampede and the super chameleons.
"Dodson! Dodson! We've got Dodson here!"

JB1981 said:
"Dodson! Dodson! We've got Dodson here!"

Dodson got eaten by a trex in the book. It was glorious. Basically what happened to the guy on the boat at the end of the movie happened to Dodson in the book.

For anyone who has not read either book, this is a nice collection:

Jtwo said:
Jurassic park is full of so many weird quotes like this.

Jurassic Park is frightening in the dark...

bengraven said:
Best

fucking

pinball

machine

ever

IAN

FREEEEZE
and thats when you get to re-shoot because you lost too earlyQ

STAMPEDE!
multi-ball is lit!

oh man. i got it as a graduation present back in may and still have only managed to get 4th on the default top-scores list (you've got to average over 100 million points per ball to get on the list!)

i love it when people come over, see it, play a round, and the t-rex eats their ball. magical.

in book related news, i have my original paperback copy, the cover is literally taped back on i've read it so many random times.

the blu-ray release might make me get a blu-ray player, in all honesty. (it's my favorite movie...)

notsol337

marked forever
I was 6 when this movie came out, and I thought it was a real place. I was sooooo sad when I found out it was a movie.

Funky Papa said:
Can we bitch about the revolting mediocrity of the first film compared to the original novel?

Man, I can't believe I'm still bitter about that.
irrespective of your opinion on the plot or whatever, the fact remains that jurassic park the movie is one of the defining works of the 90s and probably the most influential action movie to be released in my living memory, whereas the book is a two-bit sci-fi thriller written by an incredibly pedestrian author. it is basically insane to suggest that the film is "mediocre" compared to the book.

i loved both of them when i was eight years old, i only love the film today. there's a reason for that!

also i'm definitely in the camp that prefers JP3 to the lost world. JP3 kind of succeeds as a dumb fun movie, but the lost world doesn't really succeed at anything.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The image people create in their heads of the books is no doubt directly influenced by the film. Its insane to state the books are "better" than the movie. Because without a fucking doubt the picture you're creating of the majestic novels (which are majestic) is through the lens of the movie. And hell yeah if every detail of the book was executed as incredibly as the movie it would be a lot better.

Tobor

Jtwo said:
The image people create in their heads of the books is no doubt directly influenced by the film. Its insane to state the books are "better" than the movie. Because without a fucking doubt the picture you're creating of the majestic novels (which are majestic) is through the lens of the movie. And hell yeah if every detail of the book was executed as incredibly as the movie it would be a lot better.
Some of us are old enough to have read the novel before the movie was even made.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I loved all 3 movies, but then again, I love dinosaurs, and even though The Lost World and Jurassic Park 3 were poor in comparison to the incredible JP, what other dinosaur movies are there that do it better?

Also, the novel, The Lost World, is a much better read than the novel, Jurassic Park. Sorry, but it's true. Crichton is my favorite author, but I thought TLW was tighter and more interesting, but JP is still a great read, and one of my top Crichton novels.

Can't wait for this Blu Ray release this month. I'll definitely have to snag it.

I thought the Lost World was entertaining, because Goldblum had some great lines, and Pete Postelthwaite is in it.

JP3 was better than TLW because it felt a bit more serious than TLW, but it was still ass, but in a fun way.

I'll always have fond memories of going to the theater with my mom back in 93, when I was 13 years old, and being scared shitless of Jurassic Park. My leg was shaking throughout the whole movie. lol.

newjeruse

Saw JP in Brooknam a couple months ago at one of those free open-air theaters with thousands of hipsters in attendance. What was amazing was that everyone knew the exact queues for all the great one-liners and the entire crowd cheered every time Goldblum was on camera. It was actually awesome to relive a touchstone movie in a theater setting. I also posed this question to my friends: will anybody be showing Avatar in such a setting 15 years from now? I would say no.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Tobor said:
Some of us are old enough to have read the novel before the movie was even made.
Oh definitely. I certainly am not one of them though. And would argue that maybe most of the people who revere jurassic park as like, the defining movie of their life/childhood aren't either. I think I might have come across a little too harsh in that post.

alphaNoid

Banned
Good movie (the first) but it doesn't even exist on my top 50 or so of all time. The thing that was best was really the premise of the movie, Dinos, DNA, the special effects. The story was solid and fun but I never have the urge to watch it over again.

2 is terrible.

3 is popcorn flick fun, at best.

I heard 4 was greenlit, and a screenplay was already drafted. Time will tell but I suppose I could get excited about another JP movie. I never go to the movies anyways, I just wait 120 days and watch it in my make shift home theater, drink beer on the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom