• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC PARK - A Thread 65 Million Years In The Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaku

Banned
Do you guys remember the badass cups that McDonald's gave away with value meals?

L2lGf.jpg

4sOb7.jpg

W4ArE.jpg

rhEHf.jpg

Dat art!

Amalthea

Banned
DMczaf said:
The game was so good that it got it's own sequel. I never got to play it though :(

There was even The Lost World on Genesis. A pretty fine game too (My favourite of the three actually).

Bisnic said:
The only Lost World game i remember is the arcade one. It was fun.

Yeah, it was good. I remember playing it at Chuck E. Cheese. I still have a bunch of those toys from when I was younger. I used to save up my allowance to buy another dinosaur to add to my collection.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I would pay 1100 for a giant framed picture of that boardgame coverart. Holy fuck.

MrsB

Neo Member
I, along with my 3 sisters and parents, saw the first movie at a drive-in in Ohio (we were visiting, my mom is from Cleveland). We were enjoying the movie and all of a sudden we here this loud roar from behind the screen. My sisters and I all look at each other with a moment of terror. Then we realized a train is going by. Best movie watching experience ever!

Maddness said:
As a young boy at the age of 11, I had always loved dinosaurs. Some of my earliest memories of my childhood involved me playing with these cheap plastic toys and creating my own battles. I would ask my parents to read me dinosaur stories all the time until I was able to read them for myself. I would ask my parents to take me to museums and events that showed off these amazing creatures. I was hooked. Around the time I was 8 or 9 I had made up my mind that I wanted to be a Paleontologist and do nothing but find dinosaurs and figure out everything I could about them. I remember seeing the trailer for Jurassic Park and thinking that everything I had ever wanted in the world had come true. Dinosaurs with people. I think I went to the theater 10 times or more with my dad to see that movie. I remember asking for nothing else for Christmas but the VHS of Jurassic Park and I watched it every night for months. My science teacher had given me the book to read as a present shortly after seeing it in theaters and I loved it. There were some things from the novel I wish had been added into the movie or not changed, but it wasn't that big of a deal at the time.

God damn I loved that movie.

This is literally my exact story, its actually scary, beside the book from the science teacher... exactly spot on.Did you ever follow through with the paleontologist thing? I never did....

the SNES Jurassic Park was good too. Hard as fuck though. The FPS segments were cool back in the day when Doom was still a pinnacle of 3D graphics.

And as much as I hate JP3 and am indifferent to 2, I am going to have to fight the temptation to pick up this boxset.

Ninja Scooter said:
the SNES Jurassic Park was good too. Hard as fuck though. The FPS segments were cool back in the day when Doom was still a pinnacle of 3D graphics.

I never found it hard, it was more the fact there was no save.

If you wanted to play it you better have 5 hours handy, because that's how long it's going to take and that's if you knew where you were going at each stage.

Mest30

Banned
I loved the first movie. The second one was awful. Between the young girl knocking out raptors left and right and the whole Godzilla like ending, pretty bad. I thought the third one was okay. Really enjoyed the fight between the two dinos. Wish that scene was a bit longer. Still debating whether or not I should spend the money on the set for one great movie, one of the worst movies of all time and one decent movie.

Peru

Second one failed on many aspects but is ten times better than the third, which is just a cheap thriller with some dinosaurs making cameos. What makes the first one so good is the sense of wonder and excitement, not just screams and terror. There's still at least some fun in the 2nd, but not at all in the third.

Snaku

Banned
Just finished watching the JP Blu. It looked a lot better than the screenshots had me believe. Tons of detail, especially in character close-ups. The worst looking shots of the film were naturally those featuring CG dino composites. I'm really glad Universal didn't go DVNR happy, and left the grain in. It really gave it a more natural film aesthetic. Gonna dive into the new extras a bit later, and the two sequels when I get a chance later this week.

The Best Buy steelbook is also really cool.

strafer

Snaku said:
Just finished watching the JP Blu. It looked a lot better than the screenshots had me believe. Tons of detail, especially in character close-ups. The worst looking shots of the film were naturally those featuring CG dino composites. I'm really glad Universal didn't go DVNR happy, and left the grain in. It really gave it a more natural film aesthetic. Gonna dive into the new extras a bit later, and the two sequels when I get a chance later this week.

The Best Buy steelbook is also really cool.

Happy you like it.

How was the sound?

Peru said:
Second one failed on many aspects but is ten times better than the third, which is just a cheap thriller with some dinosaurs making cameos. What makes the first one so good is the sense of wonder and excitement, not just screams and terror. There's still at least some fun in the 2nd, but not at all in the third.

agreed completely. IF you remove that kick to dino and dino in city sequence it could have been much much better movie. I loved the tent scene.

Snaku

Banned
Strafer said:
Happy you like it.

How was the sound?

Didn't even think to mention anything about the sound, as that completely lived up to the hype. If you have a good sound system, it'll blow your face off.

Snaku said:
Didn't even think to mention anything about the sound, as that completely lived up to the hype. If you have a good sound system, it'll blow your face off.

i am thinking of getting a bluray player (ps3) just so i can have an excuse to buy this set. fml i want it so bad.

strafer

Snaku said:

mmmmmmmmm

dat water ripple scene

I am so sad that i cannot afford this today. I cannot wait to eventually pick this up and watch it, but I guess I have to wait. =P

So the picture is fairly good then? Im glad. I want more pics though. Hm, too bad they didnt sneak any talk about JP4 in.. ah well.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
crazy monkey said:
some captures I found. They look okeish. Does it look better or worse than this in bluray? I hope it is better lol
Uh those are low res pixelated messes from some rip I would guess.

Maddness

ChocolatePuddin said:
This is literally my exact story, its actually scary, beside the book from the science teacher... exactly spot on.Did you ever follow through with the paleontologist thing? I never did....

Awesome! As for the Paleontologist thing, no, I didn't become one either. Though, it's funny. Jurassic Park did lead me to go into 3D and make a career out of that.

strafer

NO FEATHERED DINOS PLEASE!!

The test of this little hypothesis of mine may come in the form of Jurassic Park IV. Rumors about the film have been circulating for a while, but when I met him by chance last month at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, paleontologist and Jurassic Park scientific adviser Jack Horner mentioned that a script has been written and is waiting to be transformed into a film. Horner even dropped a significant clue as to what the movie is going to be about. “They’ve already brought dinosaurs back…,” he said, “so how could they make the dinosaurs scarier?” The answer is further genetic tampering

Source: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/dinosaur/2011/10/why-do-we-keep-going-back-to-jurassic-park/

Snaku

Banned
“They’ve already brought dinosaurs back…,” he said, “so how could they make the dinosaurs scarier?” The answer is further genetic tampering

But they're already genetic "designer" monsters, more frog than dinosaur in some cases (not all of them could change sex). I don't think giving them more avian qualities is going to make them any scarier at this point, and the feathered raptors in JP3 looked goofy.

Jobiensis

As far as games go, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Trespasser. It really had a lot of tense moments admittedly some of it was because it was so easy to drop your weapon.

I'm going to try and wait it out for a price drop before buying the Blu-rays.

I've never read the books, I will once it's out for e readers.

strafer

Snaku said:
and the feathered raptors in JP3 looked goofy.

The entire movie was goofy. They even killed off T-rex, wtf its up with that.

Don't know why both Sam Neill and Laura Dern agreed to do that poison of a movie.

Snaku

Banned
Strafer said:
Don't know why both Sam Neill and Laura Dern agreed to do that poison of a movie.

Don't even get me started on what they did with Alan & Ellie's relationship in that movie.

strafer

Snaku said:
Don't even get me started on what they did with Alan & Ellie's relationship in that movie.

I'm not gonna lie here but I have only seen this movie twice.

One at the premiere 2001 and the second time when it was released on DVD, since then I haven't touched, watched or even looked at the DVD.

For me Jurassic Park 3 doesnt exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom