• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juror in Georgia death penalty case: "Ive wondered if Black people even have souls"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fucked up man

but the murdering and raping savage is not getting any sympathy from me.

Couple of things:

You should probably avoid the use of the word "savage " under the circumstances.

Secondly whoever did this is in fact a savage but the story is about a troubling aspect of the trial that means the accused did not receive a fair trial. Regardless of whether he did it or not, he's entitled to a fair trial.

- Lets wait until we have all the facts.

- I'm just asking questions.

- There are two sides to everything, let's wait until we've heard both.

- Not all racists.

- Many sides, many many sides. Sad!

- What about Obama <insert anything here>?

- What about black on black crime?

- It isn't about race, it's about class.

- These are the views of a fringe few. This is post-racial America and these people and their views can't effect the lives of the vast majority of people.

- I don't see race.

Have I missed any way some will try to ignore or play this off?

NoName999

- Lets wait until we have all the facts.

- I'm just asking questions.

- There are two sides to everything, let's wait until we've heard both.

- Not all racists.

- Many sides, many many sides. Sad!

- What about Obama <insert anything here>?

- What about black on black crime?

- It isn't about race, it's about class.

- These are the views of a fringe few. This is post-racial America and these people and their views can't effect the lives of the vast majority of people.

- I don't see race.

Have I missed any way some will try to ignore or play this off?

- We must be the better man.

- This isn't what MLK would have wanted. Love and tolerate!

- I'm a white person who thinks everyone doesn't have souls. Am I a racist?

- What about people who think white men don't have souls?

Fucked up man

but the murdering and raping savage is not getting any sympathy from me.

The topic of this thread has nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of the accused. He didnt receive a trial from an impartial jury. That should trouble anyone who claims to want to live in a country that doesnt take after apartheid South Africa.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Well, yeah. This is America, has been America since its inception, and will be America until it inevitably falls to ruin.

The country of my birth...

Shaking my fuckin head. I'm not even surprised by this shit anymore. Although, to be fair, I stopped being surprised by this shit at a very, very young age.

The topic of this thread has nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of the accused. He didnt receive a trial from an impartial jury. That should trouble anyone who claims to want to live in a country that doesnt take after apartheid South Africa.

Well America did support apartheid in S.Africa...

theofficefan99

Fuck these people. The worst part is that they're literally unable to see that there's anything wrong with their thoughts or words. Fuck them.

People that think the south is full of nothing but racists really have their head up their own ass. There are racists in any given state.

I grew up in the south where I spent the first 26 years of my life and have seen much more racism in Michigan since 2005 than I ever did in the south.

Even just 2 days ago I was called a racist and told to kill myself for just posting a laughing emoji response to someone posting terrible tattoo photos on a facebook sell group.

Unfortunately mankind will always find a way or reason to destroy one another.

This trend I see of fighting racism with racism is utterly ridiculous. A friend of mine that is a white male and is far from racist was recently called a Nazi by someone in a passing car for no reason.

People need to wake the hell up and realize our fellow citizens are not our true enemy.

Dryk

Well, yeah. This is America, has been America since its inception, and will be America until it inevitably falls to ruin.

The country of my birth...

Shaking my fuckin head. I'm not even surprised by this shit anymore. Although, to be fair, I stopped being surprised by this shit at a very, very young age.
With any luck the countries that replace America after its collapse will be more well thought out. Still you can be proud(?) that you made it this far, most countries don't even make it to 200.

Even just 2 days ago I was called a racist and told to kill myself for just posting a laughing emoji response to someone posting terrible tattoo photos on a facebook sell group.

Go on.

People need to wake the hell up and realize our fellow citizens are not our true enemy.

And who is the true enemy? Not racist police officers or the white supremacists that held a rally in Charlottesville?

Jotaka

Well America did support apartheid in S.Africa...

Yeah, never forget that UK Thatcher, USA Regan and Israel keep close ties to apartheid gov in S. Africa for a good time. Thatcher and Regan regarded African National Congress (ANC) as ‘terrorists’, Mandela was a terrorist for these fuckers...

Order

People that think the south is full of nothing but racists really have their head up their own ass. There are racists in any given state.

I grew up in the south where I spent the first 26 years of my life and have seen much more racism in Michigan since 2005 than I ever did in the south.

This trend I see of fighting racism with racism is utterly ridiculous. A friend of mine that is a white male and is far from racist was recently called a Nazi by someone in a passing car for no reason.

What was the purpose of this post other than to downplay racism

This is one of those things you read and it's hard to even believe someone could be this fucked in the head.

What a piece of human garbage

Opto

Banned
Yeah, that's my typical drunken creed to instead of trying to convince people Leonardo DiCaprio ain't shit.

Merc_

What the fuck are you even on about?

watershed

Banned

Life must be so hard for you. When it comes to being a person of color in America, and specifically black, a lot of "fellow citizens" would be happy if you were dead or simply didn't exist in the first place and are willing to actively work against basic equality for you and people who look like you.

tenor.gif

Ah the good ol pointing out racism is racism argument. You sipped waaaaaaaay too much of that sugarless kool-aid.

That Chris Rock bit keeps coming back.

Well I'm glad you could come into a thread about black people dying or potentially dying and make white people the victims.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
With any luck the countries that replace America after its collapse will be more well thought out. Still you can be proud(?) that you made it this far, most countries don't even make it to 200.

Oddly true. 200 years is genuinely impressive. Too bad my people have been treated like savages for all 200...

What sucks about this story is that the guy deserved to be sentenced to prison, but this juror didn't get their through being impartial, looking at the evidence, and convicting on those grounds. He literally voted for the death penalty because the man was black. I'm 100% certain he'd vote guilty even if the evidence wasn't overwhelming. He doesn't think black people have souls. That tells me all I need to know about this guy. The excise of him being drunk when he said it is eye rollingly pathetic.

But, people who think like her brought chicken and biscuits to hangings. I wonder what specific individual, actually has a soul.

In my experience, alcohol can be a truth serum.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
No, Kaepernick taking the knee is the real problem in the USA...

Fucking hell, I knew Americans could be racist, but since Trump they've been taking it to whole new levels.

Neith

Banned
Yes, as if the murdering and killing of masses of people in Vietnam say, by mostly white men in suits, was just peachy clean fun. Jesus. No respect for the murderer but come on.

n64coder

If you were the judge in this case, what would you do if you found out that a juror had racial bias?

Is the only fair thing to do is to gave a new trial? The problem is that the crime happened in 1990 which is almost 3 decades ago so witnesses will forget details, evidence is old, and will cost the state and accused money to retry and it will cause pain for the victim's family to revisit the memories.

Or do you look at the evidence and come to the conclusion that he still would be guilty even though a juror is a racist?

In Georgia, is the sentence decided by the jury or the judge? Personally, I would change the sentence from death to life with the possibility of parole since he did not have a criminal record prior to this incident.

This is just.... i can't even... how the fuck can someone so smart be so fucking dense?!
This must make some people cry in despair.

Jesus USA....

Neith

Banned
My question is how do people overlook all the white people starting mass wars throughout history? And that's okay but a relationship dispute that ends in murder means you have no soul. OKAY.

I think people "under the influence" are often times more honest than sober people.
Not racist people don't suddenly say racist stuff like that when drunk.
This was an honest opinion this juror voiced, an opinion he knew not to voice when sober.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
My question is how do people overlook all the white people starting mass wars throughout history? And that's okay but a relationship dispute that ends in murder means you have no soul. OKAY.

No, the color of your skin means you have no soul. It says so in his bible. Get it right.

So...

Lets stop gnawing on gristle, and get straight to the meat:

That juror says that black people don't have souls. So if the man was convicted of killing another black person, was there really a crime committed? We don't hold the same contempt of killing a cow, or a wolf, or a fish, because animals don't have souls. They are put on earth for us to use, or consume.
I say that the conviction should be overturned. Black people are so different from whites, that we say that they're an actual different race, even though they can (and do!) have children through intercourse. But if blacks are soulless beings, then killing them should be given the same lawful weight as killing a sheep. Its bad, and the victim's owne - er, um, family should be financially compensated, but that's it.

Neither the defense or the prosecution should want that person on the jury nor should the judge considering how that could be used later in appeals. WTF.

jstripes

Banned
The judge also emphasized that the juror was possibly intoxicated when the racist statement was made, and that the juror claims that his statement had been misconstrued.

"He's not racist, he was just drunk."

For fuck's sake.

Top Bottom