• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 screenshots Leaked [Update: New microtransaction hell screenshots]

Paid progression at the very least creates the perception that you're into fucking up your game with filler and grinding in exchange for an additional revenue stream.
So I'm generally apprehensive to the idea of supporting companies that feel this is how games should be made.

Why? He's not denying JC3 will feature any of the things he approved of in that olden tweet.

Also not denying it here.

Yes, I see that now. I certainly won't be buying JC3 day one and depending on if DLC or whatever they want to call it is included en masse I won't ever touch it. I'll stick to JC2.

Maybe this little gem:

a3CigKk.png

I'm here to tell you, no it is not and anyone who thinks that way will get no money from me.

I guess it makes sense when the majority of people who own your game got it for $3 during a Steam sale.

The crying and forecasts of doom in this thread are hilarious. Biggest upset of the generation this far before release? Okay.

No it doesn't make sense. What makes sense is that you allow your franchise to find an audience and grow over time, and then you reach out to that audience with a sequel, which is bigger, better and provides more of what made the previous game great.

Just Cause 3 could have been just that. The second game had extremely positive word of mouth and plenty of people invested in the game and the DLC during sales. Then there was the JC2 multiplayer mod that reignited interest in the game and hype for JC3 was through the roof.

That JC2 did well in steam sales does not, in any way, justify them making a sequel that does the exact same thing as JC2, only with monetary requirements shoved in at every step of the way. Want a car? Money! Want a boat? Money! Want a chopper? Money! Want a gun? Money! It destroys everyone's interest in the game for good reason. They found a killer game concept in JC2 and for the sequel they apparently decided to put a hacksaw to everything that made it fun, cuz $$$

If its pay-for-vehicles then that's cool. I just parachuted everywhre anyway, but Christopher Sundbergs "go fuck yourself" attitude makes me really want to avoid this game at all costs. Fuck people like that.

BigDug13

I guess Far Cry 4 needs to add a parachute and grappling hook because that seems like it's as close as I'm going to get to Just Cause...

Skux

Hilarious that the rent price is 3/4 of the buy price.

Sleeping Dogs
Just Cause

See ya next time, Deus Ex.

Fuuuuuck you reminded me about Deus Ex. JC2 was awesome but Deux Ex is the one I really care about... and they're going to fuck it up with this pay-to-pay crap too.

Burt

"It is that simple" shuts down discussion and ignores reality, that's a pretty cocky and assholic thing to do.

Valve is going F2P. Blizzard is going F2P, and their biggest moneymaker over the last decade has been subscription. EA is having (regrettably) great success with EA Access, and like every other major publisher, is looking for its own F2P hit. I'd venture to say that at least eight out of the ten most financially successful games in the last three years have been something other than the standard "$60 up front" model.

It may shut down discussion, but it isn't ignoring reality, and I don't even know if you need to have a discussion about it given the facts of how the marketplace has been trending. I'm not sure if voicing an opinion about a near-assured issue makes you a cocky asshole.

BigDug13

Valve is going F2P. Blizzard is going F2P, and their biggest moneymaker over the last decade has been subscription. EA is having (regrettably) great success with EA Access, and like every other major publisher, is looking for its own F2P hit. I'd venture to say that at least eight out of the ten most financially successful games in the last three years have been something other than the standard "$60 up front" model.

It may shut down discussion, but it isn't ignoring reality, and I don't even know if you need to have a discussion about it given the facts of how the marketplace has been trending. I'm not sure if voicing an opinion about a near-assured issue makes you a cocky asshole.

But this isn't F2P. It's bullshit F2P grinds and microtransactions in a $60 PAID game. That's the huge fuckin difference.

And if this is the "future he envisioned" where gamers pay $60 and then also pay microtransactions on top, that makes him an asshole.

Burt

But this isn't F2P. It's bullshit F2P grinds and microtransactions in a $60 PAID game. That's the huge fuckin difference.

Oh, okay, I didn't realize we had a clear description of the effect of microtransactions in this game, its payment model, or even its retail price. I thought all we had were a bunch of unintentionally leaked screenshots that were causing a bunch of uninformed kneejerk reactions.

InfernoNR

Loved Just Cause 2, played it to completion. Was verrrrrry excited for Just Cause 3. If JC3 has this kind of microtransaction bullshit baked in, I'll be skipping. Fuck that.

hawk2025

Oh, okay, I didn't realize we had a clear description of the effect of microtransactions in this game, its payment model, or even its retail price. I thought all we had were a bunch of unintentionally leaked screenshots that were causing a bunch of uninformed kneejerk reactions.

...if you think someone leaked screenshots of the game's payment and currency structure unintentionally, I have a bridge to sell you.

Clearly whoever is leaking this is not happy with the direction that the game is going, and wanted to drum up support somehow.

BigDug13

ALL microtransactions for an in-game currency are bad in a $60 game. It doesn't matter what context the screenshots are in. Obviously you are ok with this industry direction, but I for one find it completely counter to what I want in a game to have developers giving paid options to fund yourself with in-game currency. It's bullshit after spending $60 FULL STOP.

Keasar

Like BigDug13 says, its for (what I presume) will be a full price title you have to first buy upfront. Doesn't matter at that point how the market is, he comes out as a cocky asshole for planning on exploiting people in that matter.

I have never understood the appeal of this series. Tried JC2 and did not enjoy the experience. I had been excited about the idea of a new JC on new gen but what the actual fuck.

And if this is the "future he envisioned" where gamers pay $60 and then also pay microtransactions on top, that makes him an asshole.

Do we know if this will even be a $60 title? It's just that Shinobi has hinted at something about this game not coming out in a conventional way - perhaps it will come out in segments, and that triggered an even bigger alarm bell for me, because theoretically there's no real limit on how much Avalanche and Square would want you to pay to get the "full" experience, or as close to as possible.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. Rest in peace Just Cause. Shame too. the first 2 were damn fun. I won't be touching this one with a 10 foot pole though now.

Burt

...if you think someone leaked screenshots of the game's payment and currency structure unintentionally, I have a bridge to sell you.

Clearly whoever is leaking this is not happy with the direction that the game is going, and wanted to drum up support somehow.

Companies let stuff "leak" nowadays without official PR all the time. That isn't what this is, and focusing on that just ignores the thrust of what I was saying.

ALL microtransactions for an in-game currency are bad in a $60 game. It doesn't matter what context the screenshots are in. Obviously you are ok with this industry direction, but I for one find it completely counter to what I want in a game to have developers giving paid options to fund yourself with in-game currency. It's bullshit after spending $60 FULL STOP.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? All I'm saying is that without any other information, there's no basis for freaking out. You don't know if the game will be $60 or F2P.

If you're just fundamentally against F2P, well, that's your own problem. It's 2014 and a ton of games have shown the model is more than capable of delivering an amazing experience.

Wow, I was on board until I spotted the telltale sign of microtransactions.

The season pass shit is already obnoxious enough.

Maybe this little gem:

a3CigKk.png

I'm here to tell you, no it is not and anyone who thinks that way will get no money from me.

Same, I will quit gaming if everything becomes microtransaction and subscription or "freemium" based.

saunderez

Oh yay cooldown timers. My most hated Pay2Win scam. I won't be touching this shit with a 10 foot pole now, it was one thing when it was just microtransactions but I cannot tolerate cooldown timers.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
But it's not Avalanche who is making Mad Max?

it is developed by Avalanche. but they are just developers and do what the publishers ask them to do, Avalanche just can't call the shots and do this on their own as you know. WB most likely not want this sort of microtransaction-fest in Mad Max (unlike SE which is deep into that the f2p/paymium lake)

I've been following the general flow of discussion here with an open mind, but if you think that these images were just randomly leaked without purpose, well... think again. Whoever was behind this leak likely had a variety of images to share with the world; they chose the ones they did for a reason.

Edit: beaten, I guess

Ionic

Companies let stuff "leak" nowadays without official PR all the time. That isn't what this is, and focusing on that just ignores the thrust of what I was saying.

I don't think he's implying it was the company's intention to leak these particular screens, but perhaps a disgruntled employee acting on his own who doesn't agree with the business model the game he is working on appears to be following.

Oersted

Like BigDug13 says, its for (what I presume) will be a full price title you have to first buy upfront. Doesn't matter at that point how the market is, he comes out as a cocky asshole for planning on exploiting people in that matter.

Like Destiny? Lets face it, 60 bucks have been an entrance price for a while. Not defending anything, just observing that this is getting more and more common that 60 bucks is just the start.

I don't think he's implying it was the company's intention to leak these particular screens, but perhaps a disgruntled employee acting on his own who doesn't agree with the business model the game he is working on appears to be following.

Yep. I don't understand how this could be misconstrued whatsoever.

Kinda funny how much just cause 2 gets love from the community with fan and mod support. Even modding in multiplayer support. Yet here they are with corporate greed spitting in the face of their long time fans. How much ill will can these companies create? Its sad to watch my favorite hobby of 26 years turn into this.

I just saw this while watching the new South Park episode. It made the episode better, but it does little to assuage my disappointment with what had the potential to be a great game.

Oh well, fuck em.

Funny how CD Projekt Red have just announced free dlc for the Witcher 3, available no matter when you purchase the game. Something we rarely see now and this just seems to be the total parallel of that way of thinking. Taking your audience and trying to bleed as much money as you can from them, this really is sad Just Cause 2 is a ton of fun. How can the same developer stray so far off from their previous efforts

SE took two open world franchises with huge potential and turned both into F2P micro transaction bull shit. I'm sorry but I can't support this at all. It would be one thing if these were spin offs only and real sequels were in the works, but to completely destroy these franchises like this?

I basically never want a title to fail as it hurts the industry and people working on the game but if these end up as huge success stories......I worry a lot about the future.

Top Bottom