• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had my neighbor try to knock down my door and threaten to kill me

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that have to do with anything? It isn't about Australia, it isn't about regional laws, it's simply about how having a gun is a good idea for protecting yourself in a home invasion. Just because a ban exists in some corner of the world doesn't nullify the argument, maybe they should think about changing their laws to swing the outcome in favor of the victim.

Rofl.

The LAST thing the rest of the world needs is to have gun laws like in the US.

Cool, another person that has absolutely no counter to my points. Good job!

Keep saying that to yourself. The reality is that plenty of people have made plenty of counter arguments.

Of course, gun-touting GAF would never actually realize this. Talking to people like you is like arguing with a post. You've already convinced yourself you've "won" this thread, why not just leave the thread alone so it can get back on topic?

LordCanti

not cool man that's his sister. -_-

Razox.gif

If someone came to my door like that, they wouldn't last long. I don't come from a very violent family, but we do have an aggressive side when standing up for out principles.

The principle here is, no-one deserves to feel unsafe in their own home and theres no way in hell i'd let some fucking idiot try and do that so I'd probably have just went after him. This isn't always the best solution and you did the right thing OP. Unfortunately thats just my take on it, it runs in my family.

Example, some little cretin stole my mums purse months ago. She lost £50, she chased the 4 boys back to their flat and got the police involved and it went to court, they got away and didn't have to do shit, so my mum went after them with a metal bat twice, out of principle (they live near). She was asked to pay £250 compensation, out of principle, she won't pay because the justice system basically bent her over and fucked her, so shes happy doing a month in prison, because thats just the way it is.
Hooooly shiiiit! The mental image of your mom, as Betty White, chasing some kids with a baseball bat was quite awesome.

Keep saying that to yourself. The reality is that plenty of people have made plenty of counter arguments.

Of course, gun-touting GAF would never actually realize this. Talking to people like you is like arguing with a post. You've already convinced yourself you've "won" this thread, why not just leave the thread alone so it can get back on topic?

That's how all of GAF is. Have you ever actually changed someone's mind in a debate? Humans are hard-wired to ignore points that contradict their worldviews.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Man, you're a golden little one.

Yeah that's what I thought. All talk, no substance. Come back when you want to have an actual discussion.

That's how all of GAF is. Have you ever actually changed someone's mind in a debate? Humans are hard-wired to ignore points that contradict their worldviews.

Nobody has even tried to change my mind or tell me where I'm wrong beyond "lol guns America!"

Yeah that's what I thought. All talk, no substance. Come back when you want to have an actual discussion.

Most everything that was worth saying has already been said, so merely repeating anyone else's posts is just going in circles and adding nothing new. Considering your only real purpose here is to act like an internet tough guy, I doubt something like that would actually bother you.

Also, I had to chuckle at "discussion". You call what you're doing a "discussion", wowee.

lol, my thoughts when I clicked on it after a couple days. "What could they still have to talk about? Is the issue still on-going?"

Nope. GAF being GAF.
There is some serious roid rage going on here, it's hilarious. I love all the people who think they would just beat the shit out of the guy like it's no big deal. First of all, that dude is most likely drugged out of his damn mind. We also have no idea what he looks like, he could be a beast for all we know.

But still... "What a puss, bro. Just open the door and crush that crazy piece of shit. Guuuuuuuuuns."

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Most everything that was worth saying has already been said, so merely repeating anyone else's posts is just going in circles and adding nothing new. Considering your only real purpose here is to act like an internet tough guy, I doubt something like that would actually bother you.

Also, I had to chuckle at "discussion". You call what you're doing a "discussion", wowee.

The reality is you probably came into this thread without reading the rest of it, saw my recent post and decided to make a "lol guns" comment, and don't have the first clue what other people said in response to me. If you want to highlight something someone, anyone, actually said that refuted my point, then by all means I'm waiting.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ok, sweet, gun debate refuses to quit.

The idea that you can be a safe and responsible gun owner is absolutely correct. Most people aren't though. And regardless of how safe a small portion of gun owners are at handling guns, their guns are more likely to be stolen and used by criminals than used. So yeah, some people handle guns perfectly correctly, and I can sort of understand their selfish need to have a gun, but it's sort of a "this is why we can't have nice things" type of deal. Guns are a net negative on society, even if on a personal level some people are responsible with them, and the extremely unlikely event that something like this happens (well something like this but worse, where the criminal actually breaks into the home).

Now, there may or may not be some merit to the idea that with guns being so prevalent here in the US, a ban on guns would leave only the criminals in power. But telling Australians they should have guns in their country is idiotic, IMO. The Australians in this thread agree.

For one glorious page this thread got so awesome and overcame the gun shit and we had Horse Fest and then it just disintegrated back into the bullshit.

:(

The idea that you can be a safe and responsible gun owner is absolutely correct. Most people aren't though. And regardless of how safe a small portion of gun owners are at handling guns, their guns are more likely to be stolen and used by criminals than used. So yeah, some people handle guns perfectly correctly, and I can sort of understand their selfish need to have a gun, but it's sort of a "this is why we can't have nice things" type of deal. Guns are a net negative on society, even if on a personal level some people are responsible with them, and the extremely unlikely event that something like this happens (well something like this but worse, where the criminal actually breaks into the home).

Aren't the percentages of people injured by guns pretty low compared to the number of owners? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that safe owners are the minority like your post kind of makes it sound.

My guns are also kept in a big ass safe and my place has alarms on the doors and windows. So I'm not too worried about anyone breaking in and taking my guns. That's anectdotal, I realize. But, all I can do is make sure my shit is safe and secure. I also don't own guns for home defense and shudder at the thought of ever having to use them for that purpose. And I also understand people who don't want them around at all, obviously, they're dangerous. I think guns are way too easy to get in the US, that's for sure. But, I wouldn't be happy if it was suddenly flat out illegal for me to go shoot a delicious deer.

My two cents. Not that it matters.

The reality is you probably came into this thread without reading the rest of it, saw my recent post and decided to make a "lol guns" comment, and don't have the first clue what other people said in response to me. If you want to highlight something someone, anyone, actually said that refuted my point, then by all means I'm waiting.

I've actually read this thread since before this gun crap came in. Hell, my first "lol guns" comment was several pages back, not with yours.

Quite a few people in the topic responded with this, which is what I agree with. The first one directly in response to yours:

And yet with more guns being made available, wouldnt it be more likely that the intruder would also have a gun if they had intent to go and do those kinds of things.

It's a small-scale arms race, and encouraging it is not good. The fewer guns out there, the better.

And, that's it, really. I'm not actively involved in the, uh, "discussion", because pretty much everyone else is saying exactly what I would say. Not sure what parroting the same thing would add to it. But I just had to point out that last thing a few posts back, because this whole discussion is silly when we're talking about a man in Australia who wouldn't even be able to get to the gun in the first place. Your response was "YEAH WELL MAYBE THE REST OF THE WORLD SHOULD CHANGE THEIR LAWS TOO, THAT'S SAFER".

No, it really wouldn't be, it's not even close to being a feasible solution, and it doesn't change the fact that this issue is in Australia, so having random arguments about gun rights in a topic about AUSTRALIA is completely pointless and is really only about furthering what you think of guns which, in case you haven't noticed, has nothing to do with the topic.

abusori

It's funny because he's actually correct. No one has even tried to respond to his question. They just keep mocking him and shit.

I'd also like to know how you'd defend yourself. I have a huge machete, and that's my plan. Not that I like that plan; I'd much rather have a shotgun, but for now it's all I've got. Anybody that actually has some training/experience? I'm fucked. I have no delusions about this. I'd trade some psycho's life for mine any day, so I'm curious to know why you guys wouldn't want a gun to protect yourselves regardless of whether the bozo at the door has one.

ChanHuk

Banned
It's funny because he's actually correct. No one has even tried to respond to his question. They just keep mocking him and shit.

I'd also like to know how you'd defend yourself. I have a huge machete, and that's my plan. Not that I like that plan; I'd much rather have a shotgun, but for now it's all I've got. Anybody that actually has some training/experience? I'm fucked. I have no delusions about this. I'd trade some psycho's life for mine any day, so I'm curious to know why you guys wouldn't want a gun to protect yourselves regardless of whether the bozo at the door has one.

Keep the blade a bucket of kerosene next to your bedside along with a lighter. Pull machete out, light blade on fire and charge assailant screaming SPAAAARTA

Cool, another person that has absolutely no counter to my points. Good job!

Go read up on Australian history. We did have similar gun laws to the US, some guy went on a huge shooting spree in Tasmania (the largest ever by a single person if I'm not mistaken). We realised it was insane that it was so easy for this guy to get hold of a weapon, and the government did a massive buy back. Its still possible to get a weapon, but not many do. I personally don't know anyone who owns a weapon. You need a damn good reason to own one ("self defence" isn't one of them), and the type you can own is very limited.

Ponn

Banned
Ok, sweet, gun debate refuses to quit.

Now, there may or may not be some merit to the idea that with guns being so prevalent here in the US, a ban on guns would leave only the criminals in power. But telling Australians they should have guns in their country is idiotic, IMO. The Australians in this thread agree.

That and i'm only reading pro gun owners saying if he had a gun he could protect himself. In reality though what is more likely, the op would have a gun to protect himself or with no anti-gun laws this psychopath actually being able to own a gun therefore being able to shoot through the door and kill the op.

I like the horse pics better though, nothing is more cyclical then gun and tipping debates on forums.

Fusebox

Banned
And lets say the OP and the nutter both have guns.

Where is OP's gun more likely to be when the nutjob uses his own gun to shoot the lock out and burst in?

Is it in the gunsafe where it should be? Or is he sitting on the couch with it tucked into his boxers while he necks VBs?

Gun on gun violence just doesn't seem as natural or logical to Australians as it does to Americans.

ChanHuk

Banned
A small portion of gun owners practice safe handling? Oh you Australians. Not all Americans are gun touting hillbillies riding in the back of a pickup truck. About 95% of gun owners are responsible owners. The other 5% are your criminals and psychopaths. Yeah you'll get an accidentally discharge over a firearm when someone is handling their firearm carelessly, but in that same essence. I was in the ER when someone's car crushed him because he improperly placed the car jacks. Should working on your car be banned? Paring knives are sharp and smal, they can easily be used to stab someone, lets ban those too.

Enough with the gun debate, it isn't relative to the situation. Reggie lives in Australia. He is being harassed by someone with a mental problem and/or a drug problem.

There is no need to bring up 'what if' imaginary situations involving guns when that ISN'T the situation for him.

And lets say the OP and the nutter both have guns.

Where is OP's gun more likely to be when the nutjob uses his own gun to shoot the lock out and burst in?

Is it in the gunsafe where it should be? Or is he sitting on the couch with it tucked into his boxers while he necks VBs?

Gun on gun violence just doesn't seem as natural or logical to Australians as it does to Americans.

Apparently you should have cat like reflexes so when someone smashes down your door and fires a gun at you time stops and you do flips and shit to your gun cabinet, punching in the code in 3 nanoseconds and filling that baddie with lead as you finish your cartwheel.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Enough with the gun debate, it isn't relative to the situation. Reggie lives in Australia. He is being harassed by someone with a mental problem and/or a drug problem.

There is no need to bring up 'what if' imaginary situations involving guns when that ISN'T the situation for him.

Apparently you should have cat like reflexes so when someone smashes down your door and fires a gun at you time stops and you do flips and shit to your gun cabinet, punching in the code in 3 nanoseconds and filling that baddie with lead as you finish your cartwheel.

"Enough with the gun debate!"
"There is no need to bring up 'what if' imaginary situations."

*Proceeds to continue the gun debate with a 'what if' scenario*

ChanHuk

Banned
Reggie needs to get some pepper spray or a taser (if they're legal in Australia) and I'm talking about one of those Taser C2s or X26. Distance is the key.

Dead Man

And the nerdy guy with a baseball bat posting on GAF is going to take on the hardened criminal breaking into his home with a baseball bat. Sure, good luck with that.

Yes, the nerdy guy who was airborne infantry before he stated being a nerd and pathetic apparently, yes.

Hardened criminal? Do you think that means their skulls are harder or something? What do you expect this 'hardened criminal' to be armed with?

And the question has everything to do with geography. You need to plan to an appropriate threat level, otherwise everyone has miniguns in turrets linked to thermal cameras. If I live in Brazil, I will plan differently than if I live in Canada, or the US, and if I lived in Uganda, I would plan differently again. It's not hard to understand. It's easy to say 'My plan is to have a gun'. That's nice. You better have a plan for if that is not possible though. You don't always get what you want. Yeah, people can lobby to change laws, but you also have to plan within the laws you have. So grow up, and stop acting like your plan in perfect and the only sensible course.

Actually, reading your replies to other people, you are an offensive little twerp. You level of discourse is childish at best. Even if you don't think they re offering substantive replies, ask them questions directly instead of insulting them. That just indicates you aren't interested in discussion either.

In your time in the U.S. you obviously haven't figured much out.

For starters, there isn't some omnipresent threat of gun violence running rampant in this country. I now live in St. Louis and have spent a ton of time working in East St. Louis, IL (highest violent crime rate in the U.S. YEAR AFTER YEAR). I do not carry a gun when working and I have never had a single problem. So in literally the most violent part of the U.S. you can walk around generally at your discretion and if you don't fuck with shit you don't get fucked with by and large. Its not like pockets of the U.S. are constantly being invaded by Vikings armed with AK-47's.

Second, you can't run a buyback program simply because no one wants to sell their guns. You know what gun enthusiasts would spend the buyback money on? MORE GUNS. Guns are fucking cool and fucking fun. As long as you act like a mentally capable grown ass adult with them. People don't own guns simply out of fear. They own guns because they like guns.

Can guns be dangerous? Sure. But more people die of cigarette related cancer and heart attacks than gun related deaths every year in the U.S., so are we going to start outlawing cigarettes and McDonalds now? Nope, we just let you know that you're an idiot for using them.

My point was that you can't just say guns = violence. That isn't proven and my example (which I used simply because I could highlight the gun culture there with greater insight) shows just that. The least violent state in the union has the highest gun ownership per capita. So trying to pain firearm ownership as going hand in hand with violence is obviously completely untrue. Violence goes hand in hand with culture and societal structure, not any one single inanimate object.

You really missed my point. Guns do not equal violence, but if they are not present in a situation, adding them generally only does bad things. They don't cause violence, but they make the effects of it a lot more serious. If you don't need one, you don't need one. That said, I am a fan of shooting, and understand why in America you would own a gun for a variety of reasons. In Australia, I have none of those reasons other than it being fun, which is not enough to go through all the paperwork it takes over here. I already said a buyback wouldn't work, why do reply like that is a criticism of what I said?

I also said I was not directly replying to you alone, I was addressing everyone who was making universal statements about the value of guns in self defence, on both side of the argument.

Sonki.

Banned
I can't wait to hide from you psycho nuts when the world goes to shit. I doubt you'll be able to find me with that barrel being your 'turd' eye. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

AHHAHAHAHAAHAH!H!H!H!!!!HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH!H!H!!!!!AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wildesy

So you don't have a plan, gotcha. Not a single person has actually responded to my posts because they don't have a reasonable argument against my points. Not a single person has said how they would realistically defend themselves against someone they couldn't win a fight against.

Mastering karate, then there is nobody you can lose a fight to.... well, except other karate masters, but we all know to use our karate powers for good, not evil.

I can't wait to hide from you psycho nuts when the world goes to shit. I doubt you'll be able to find me with that barrel being your 'turd' eye. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

AHHAHAHAHAAHAH!H!H!H!!!!HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH!H!H!!!!!AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom