• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

No No Eul

If they wanted to do some sort of Heidi concept, that's fine (I guess?) but did it have to look quite so horrendously cheap?

Although now that I think of it, the mascot teaser already raised some red flags

Poor Somin. She deserves so much better.

Top comment for that video:
The seed is surrounded by plants that have fully been grown. So the seed has matured into a baby plant and jumps out of the bushes and starts a new life. This signifies that the adult plants are the old groups that have already experienced the entertainment world ( such as Snsd, 2ne1, T-ara, Kara, etc.) and the baby plant ( which is "APRIL") is entering a whole new world that is yet to be experienced.

It's not like you have to like them. They've had several good songs, but no great song worthy of mention yet in my opinion. Just pointing out that AOA are not nugus. AOA have made it into the big leagues. They're super relevant (as far as idol groups go at least) both in Korea and internationally.

Interesting. Who else are at AOA levels of popularity but might fly under the radar for most casual fans?

Fuck you DSP.

Bahahaahahahhahahaha.

For all the right they did by bringing Youngji into KARA, they screw up by shoving this piece of turd out.

llehuty

Interesting. Who else are at AOA levels of popularity but might fly under the radar for most casual fans?

Again, that they are under the radar for you doesn't mean that they fly under the radar for everyone. I would actually place them at the same level of popularity than EXID. None of the members is as popular as Hani (yet), but their releases have similar chart performance/music show wins, etc.

Pendulum

Poor Somin. She deserves so much better.

tumblr_ndn5842mC21qev7yoo5_400.gif

Top comment for that video:
Second top comment for that video:
so their mascot is a potato.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Kind of off topic, but the fact that the Wonder Girls have received NO important acknowledgement despise their incredible new album, is making me lose serious faith in k-pop. My tastes are apparently severely at odds with the tastes of the many outside of GAF...

It's just downbeat stuff. It sucks...really bad. If I like something, it's a complete bust...but if I hate something it's a huge success, in Korea and elsewhere. I feel alien lol.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Out of interest, what constitutes an important acknowledgement?

A no 1 win on a music show, shit tons of positive k-netz comments, anything. Reboot is...lost in time. Like tears in the rain. No one talks about it much anymore. Makes me sad is all...

OH GOD THE WONDER GIRLS ON WEEKLY IDOL WITH SUBS FFFFUUU

Edit. Oh God Sunmi...Canada got poutine, Belgium got fries, beer and chocolate and Japan got ramen because Korea got to choose first...and they choose Sunmi. Goddess. T_T.

Pendulum

A no 1 win on a music show, shit tons of positive k-netz comments, anything. Reboot is...lost in time. Like tears in the rain. No one talks about it much anymore. Makes me sad is all...

I've seen some positive comments, but I can only read what's been translated (and you're going to find barely any positive comments on NB).

It's early days (2nd week where they've been eligible), but it's been Big Bang, Beast, and Shinee winning (and some shows not having a winner because KCON etc) because, well, they've got the best fan bases for music shows. Even f(x) during the Pink Tape era only won the awards 1 week. I hope the proper Music Awards can give them some love. I wonder how the sales are.

----

Edit: Another Idol Athletics Championship coming up. This is one is usually better than the one earlier in the year as you've got things like wrestling (e.g. Hyerin dumping Kyungri at the end of the video). Seems like there are a lot of groups in this one, so expect 5 secs airtime for your faves. Hoping for a Hara/Gaeun/Bora showdown in the sprint final.

ramyeon

OH GOD THE WONDER GIRLS ON WEEKLY IDOL WITH SUBS FFFFUUU

Edit. Oh God Sunmi...Canada got poutine, Belgium got fries, beer and chocolate and Japan got ramen because Korea got to choose first...and they choose Sunmi. Goddess. T_T.
Music show wins are meaningless.

The reaction has been great - stop reading Netizenbuzz.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Music show wins are meaningless.

The reaction has been great - stop reading Netizenbuzz.

Ah no, I don't care about NB on this. Her agenda is so blatant it's hilarious. I just really wanted them to win on a music show. They really deserved it. It really would have crowned their achievement. I hope sales are massive on Reboot.

I really think that the pure eighties sound, they were going for hurt their chances. They literally released a 1987 song in 2015, and nailed it 100%. Many missed the point there, going by non-NB i-netz comments.

Again, that they are under the radar for you doesn't mean that they fly under the radar for everyone. I would actually place them at the same level of popularity than EXID. None of the members is as popular as Hani (yet), but their releases have similar chart performance/music show wins, etc.

Hence why I said "most casual fans..." hell, you even bolded it yourself lol. All I'm asking for is a heads up on the upcoming groups that one should watch for. I don't see how you got to the conclusion that I'm still shitting on AOA for being unpopular.

And on that note, just read the following conversations after your post...

Speaking of WG... Rewind is slowly becoming my favorite right behind Faded Love. Now hopefully Mnet will release a signed CD version of Reboot, coz they can take all my monies lol.

ramyeon

Ah no, I don't care about NB on this. Her agenda is so blatant it's hilarious. I just really wanted them to win on a music show. They really deserved it. It really would have crowned their achievement. I hope sales are massive on Reboot.

I really think that the pure eighties sound, they were going for hurt their chances. They literally released a 1987 song in 2015, and nailed it 100%. Many missed the point there, going by non-NB i-netz comments.
Most of the comments I've seen outside of NB have been really good. I do think a lot of people got caught up on the band thing because there's this idea that in order to be a band you have to play a specific type of music, which is ridiculous lol.

I don't pay attention to music show wins anymore - haven't for years, they're really meaningless these days so I wouldn't worry about it.
So, Lion Heart and You Think MVs are going to be released tomorrow?
Yep. Lion Heart at 12PM KST and You Think at 12AM KST (Morning of the 19th).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dust is settling and I think Shinee's Married to the Music is album of the year over Wonder Girl's Reboot.

aF1ba5v.jpg

2240914255D1798D24A352

245CEC4655D179A9141F98

tumblr_nt5bkzVq7w1synu21o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nt5599VHhx1ru5egjo1_1280.jpg

2222A24355CF5E1B281FA1

bitch I told you not to stare at me like that

Eldren

According to AsianJunkie, that bastion of investigative journalism:

The other names people are throwing around include ex-GLAM member Jiyeon, YG Entertainment trainee/iljin super thug Jennie Kim, FIESTAR‘s Yezi, “underground rapper” KittiB, WASSUP‘s Nada, Jace from season one, and Hana, who somehow finally got Sunhwa to stop complaining about her. Of course, nothing is confirmed yet.

Clearly Jimin is blazing a path for idol rappers everywhere. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

ramyeon

Jace coming back sucks, she's so boring. I wish there were more non-idol rappers too but whatever, it probably won't have the attitude that the first one had anyway. You can't really beat the chemistry (Or lack of chemistry) that the line up of Season 1 had.

And Season 1 had Kisum so Season 2 is inferior from the get go.

tumblr_nq7ue154zk1s2f99sc7.gif
tumblr_nq7ue154zk1s2f1rsjj.gif
tumblr_nq7ue154zk1s2fewsws.gif

Edit: Looks like I was right about Kasper, she updated her Instagram with a photo and the caption 언프리리리리리리리리릴 which is just Unprererererereretty. Following in the footsteps of her BFF Kisum. Surprised AsianJunkie couldn't spot her in the teaser. Recognised her accent from even that short sound clip right away.

ramyeon

His article said he was hoping she would appear but he just couldn't see her so I guess he wasn't paying enough attention. Also apparently this article confirms Ahn Sumin and Gilme too. I don't know who they are but I've heard Ahn Sumin's name thrown around a few times so that's good I guess.
Gilme's alright. Her voice is pretty good but she hasn't had great songs. Sumin was in SMTM4. She's alright, she's cute. But she's no Kisum. She had a battle stage with Black Nut where he forgot his lyrics and then did this stupid Freestyle to try and recover then asked for her phone number. She was eliminated here but really he should have been.

https://youtu.be/1Z5UqvqMt5w?t=3m

llehuty

I really don't get Kisum hype.
Still salty of Tymee getting the axe in UR 1 instead of Kisum and Jimin.

Even though the lineup is, at first glance, weak, I'm still looking forward to it because Kasper can do no wrong. Although I'm already seeing the shitty edit she is going to get after how she was portrayed in SMTM4.

I really hope that they all get the same treatment and we get minimal Jimin levels of bullshit.

Peru

Sumin is a better rapper than Kisum.. but Kisum is charming and her new single is cute. Never really heard any quality stuff from Kasper.

ramyeon

I really don't get Kisum hype.
tumblr_njv31oyBJs1rimqp3o7_400.gif

She's cute, hilarious, has an appealing voice for rap and has consistently released fun and interesting tracks. She also tore Jessi a new one in their 1 on 1 battle. Sorry bro, Tymee was pretty terrible in Unpretty Season 1. Kisum definitely deserves the love she got from that show.

tumblr_njgz947wUK1unu1dfo3_r1_250.gif

tumblr_nlxeg7PL0Z1t3v93bo2_400.gif

Although I'm already seeing the shitty edit she is going to get after how she was portrayed in SMTM4.
How did they portray her in SMTM4? I mean they didn't really get a chance to portray her in a bad or good light cause she screwed up her audition and didn't make it in.

llehuty

Can you guys talk more about T-ara?

Choose one topic:

- Their boring last song.
- Their promising chinese next single.
- The absolute first album is the GOAT
- Jiyeon is hot
- What's wrong with Soyeon's face?
- Whats's wrong with Qri?
- Where is Dani?
- Their never not funny Chris Brown adventures.
- Where is Chesskid?
- Hwayoungate
- Ahreum is nuts.

lol what happened with Chris Brown? I think I saw a video of a cringey performance of N4 in Las Vegas or somewhere else on the West Coast. The youtube comments kept mentioning Chris Brown but I didnt know what they were referring to.

Pendulum

I don't believe I've ever heard Hyorin rap apart from 2 seconds here or there. Looking forward to Yubin and Sumin.

lol what happened with Chris Brown? I think I saw a video of a cringey performance of N4 in Las Vegas or somewhere else on the West Coast. The youtube comments kept mentioning Chris Brown but I didnt know what they were referring to.
CCM media played it as superstar Chris Brown inviting T-ara N4 out to the US to perform with him. They flew in, took photos with him at some local charity thing, then he interrupted their song at a pool party in Las Vegas, and then they flew out. Oh, and some autographs were done at a shoe warehouse.

Loci

완전 미쳤네 is pretty good.

Not amazing like almost all T-ara releases but pretty good.

also Jiyeon is hot.

and Eunjung
and Hyomin

damn

Ym1r m8, how can you only now know about Boyoung???
she's the cutest thing in existence
I watched Werewolf Boy because of her and fuck that shit was terrible.

Ym1r

Ym1r m8, how can you only now know about Boyoung???
she's the cutest thing in existence
I watched Werewolf Boy because of her and fuck that shit was terrible.

I mean I knew boyoung was cute but I never watched her stuff, her new drama makes her super absurdly cute tho

llehuty

VIXX LR - 'Beautiful Liar' Official M/V
Generic, but better than expected. Female Jimin managed to tone down the annoying factor.

BEAST - 「#TBM」(MUSIC VIDEO)
Could be their best japanese release from the bunch they have been releasing, but that's not saying much.

[Teaser] Jakop(야콥), Raina(레이나), ₩uNo(우노), DAYDAY(데이데이) _ Allday Allnight(볼래)
Raina hype.

She also tore Jessi a new one in their 1 on 1 battle. Sorry bro, Tymee was pretty terrible in Unpretty Season 1. Kisum definitely deserves the love she got from that show.

Tymee > Kisum

Kisumyeon said:
How did they portray her in SMTM4? I mean they didn't really get a chance to portray her in a bad or good light cause she screwed up her audition and didn't make it in.

The only reason why Kasper was included in the edit was to talk about her looks. But again show me the money editing is terrible anyways.

ramyeon

Tymee > Kisum

The only reason why Kasper was included in the edit was to talk about her looks. But again show me the money editing is terrible anyways.
That performance was literally one of the only good Tymee moments on Unpretty. I like Tymee - I've liked her since I heard her debut song as e.via, but she had a really poor showing on Unpretty.

I'm pretty sure they included Kasper in there because she's getting popular in the underground and she's appearing on Unpretty 2 man. Yea they do some pretty nasty editing a lot, but I think it's reaching to say that Kasper was subject to this.

llehuty

That performance was literally one of the only good Tymee moments on Unpretty. I like Tymee - I've liked her since I heard her debut song as e.via, but she had a really poor showing on Unpretty.

I'm pretty sure they included Kasper in there because she's getting popular in the underground and she's appearing on Unpretty 2 man. Yea they do some pretty nasty editing a lot, but I think it's reaching to say that Kasper was subject to this.

I mean, they are going to spend the first three episodes reminding us how the other girls think she is really pretty and San E acting dumb next to her.

ramyeon

I mean, they are going to spend the first three episodes reminding us how the other girls think she is really pretty and San E acting dumb next to her.
I mean considering most of the other contrestants are idols this time around I don't think that's going to happen... Lol. And she's going to come out of it way more popular than she was going in anyway so what's the problem?

Unpretty is not meant to be taken too seriously - it's just dumb entertainment and they know that.

llehuty

Hey, DSP islooking for a name for the mascot, make sure you put all your effort in thinking of one so they can ditch it right away like they did with the group logo.

I like that there is some decent variety of producers. I'm hoping we get at least a couple of decent tracks.

I mean considering most of the other contrestants are idols this time around I don't think that's going to happen... Lol. And she's going to come out of it way more popular than she was going in anyway so what's the problem?

Unpretty is not meant to be taken too seriously - it's just dumb entertainment and they know that.

I agree, but depending on the edit can destroy someones career or give them an image that doesn't belong. For example, Jolly V is nowhere to be seen since the show ended.

And yeah, there are other idols, but most of them are unpretty (for idol standards), excluding possibly Kemy and maybe the YG trainee.

broz0rs

I don't believe I've ever heard Hyorin rap apart from 2 seconds here or there. Looking forward to Yubin and Sumin.

CCM media played it as superstar Chris Brown inviting T-ara N4 out to the US to perform with him. They flew in, took photos with him at some local charity thing, then he interrupted their song at a pool party in Las Vegas, and then they flew out. Oh, and some autographs were done at a shore warehouse.

just want to add one more ridiculous detail to this. CCM played it that Chris Brown and Dani (temporary T-ara member) were friends from Virginia, and because of their connection, Chris invited them to the US.

AReed

I think the reason why WG bombed was due to their failed attempt at being a band. Them not recording their instrumentals in the studio was super lame. And I saw one of their lives where for 5 seconds they each did a stupidly simple solo. The rest was very boring. Yubin was rocking the drums tho. Everyone else bringing her down.

Top Bottom