• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There are other reasons to like awesome people outside of hotness and prettiness. Hyori is god tier. That she also looks amazing is mere icing.
This is how it is with Hyeyeon. Her personality and way of being makes me love her so much, but then she also happens to be gorgeous and smoking hot. Of course the same can easily be said of Hani, who is amazing in many ways, which was easily realized since she did a lot of variety stuff long before her new found popularity.

Since early on Dahye has stood out in her own way. Along with being a dance machine, she radiates charm and charisma. She's definitely more along the lines of Hani and Hyuna (as they all have "it" in their own ways), instead of a Suzy type.
Dahye is next level from most idols when it comes to her expressiveness on stage, but I wouldn't completely discredit Suzy. She isn't a sultry type, and isn't powerful enough to do solo, but she has plenty of charm that she commands, and honestly has driven herself to improve quite a lot. The Suzy of 다른 남자 말고 너 is miles beyond the Suzy of Breathe. She became noticed straight out and popular in dramas for more than just her pretty face.

It also isn't like others in Bestie are greatly lacking the same characteristics or that she definitively outshines them, especially Uji. She's just mega hot in the most popular ways. I'd say they compare well to AOA members where Dahye is like Seolhyun, Uji is like Choa, Hyeyeon is like Hyejeong, and Haeryung is like Mina.

Edit: Hayoung ain't even mad, but she has had enough.
3Elr5sf.jpg

feist_

Banned
Yeah, it's nice to see T-ara expand their base, while getting to perform and escape the seemingly never ending backlash.

T-ara (티아라) Photo Time @ Preview of Web Drama 'Sweet Temptation (달콤한 유혹)'
Soyeon_ T-ara (티아라 소연) Talk @ Preview of Web Drama 'Sweet Temptation (달콤한 유혹)'
Hyomin_T-ara (티아라 효민) Talk @ Preview of Web Drama 'Sweet Temptation (달콤한 유혹)'
Eunjung. Jiyeon_T-ara (티아라_은정.지연) Talk @ Preview of Web Drama 'Sweet Temptation (달콤한 유혹)'

Alternate scan type/scan quality:
http://cfile8.uf.tistory.com/original/2605BD5055C6DFE2335B37
http://cfile24.uf.tistory.com/original/26614C4F55C6DFED0F4FC8
http://cfile8.uf.tistory.com/original/22685C5055C6DFD8110C15
http://cfile27.uf.tistory.com/original/2260885055C6DFDE14FA0D
http://cfile26.uf.tistory.com/original/256B8A5055C6DFE00FCF9F
http://cfile26.uf.tistory.com/original/220B0D5055C6DFE50479DD

Dahye is next level from most idols when it comes to her expressiveness on stage, but I wouldn't completely discredit Suzy. She isn't a sultry type, and isn't powerful enough to do solo, but she has plenty of charm that she commands, and honestly has driven herself to improve quite a lot. The Suzy of 다른 남자 말고 너 is miles beyond the Suzy of Breathe. She became noticed straight out and popular in dramas for more than just her pretty face.

It also isn't like others in Bestie are greatly lacking the same characteristics or that she definitively outshines them, especially Uji. She's just mega hot in the most popular ways. I'd say they compare well to AOA members where Dahye is like Seolhyun, Uji is like Choa, Hyeyeon is like Hyejeong, and Haeryung is like Mina.
The Hani/4M Hyuna/Dahye "it" is more so their intangibles, star quality, and stage presence than common sultriness, though. Suzy shares some of these qualities, and other subtle ones, but she's the most dissimilar among that type of group. To her credit, she's stepped up her vocals quite a bit on Miss A's last mini. Prior to that, I had felt she was a better singer (in a mechanical sense?) than Jia, but Jia always had more punch and passion, making her second to Min. Some of Suzy's parts on that mini are pretty good, and have to be among the best work she's done.

I'll have to revisit the AoA comparo later, though I def see some of the parallels you're getting at from personality and popularity to vocals.

edit: And to be fair, some of the Korean media and fansites treat Suzy like Avatars treat Taeyeon. The level of attention can be unending and wildly out of balance, so that has a way of skewing things for some people as far as "ratings."

G-Market is fncking expensive. The fnck you gonna charge me $30 USD for some Gatsby Moving Rubber?? It's like $10 bucks on Amazon with Prime shipping! The worst part about G-Market is that $20 goes to purely shipping. I've shipped items from the US to the Philippines using USPS/EMS for less than that, and its bigger than a circle container with hair wax in it.

Suzy so overrated.

I... actually agree. It's hard to admit as I'm a big Suzy fan, but she shares a lot of similarities with Yoong. The "face" of the group then dramas and whatever else. Sure, she's dancing and singing better than before, but like Yoong, she's nothing compared to the heavyweights in their own respective groups.

The Hani/4M Hyuna/Dahye "it" is more so their intangibles, star quality, and stage presence than common sultriness, though. Suzy shares some of these qualities, and other subtle ones, but she's the most dissimilar among that type of group.
I'll have to revisit the AoA comparo later, though I def see some of the parallels you're getting at from personality and popularity to vocals.

IMO, this really all depends.

I honestly believe EXID wouldn't be where they are now without Pharkil's fancam, hell I didn't even know who Hani was until Crime Scene 2, that's how under the radar EXID was for me. Bubble Pop did Hyuna and the 4Minutes huge wonders too, but on this one I think they already had a chance to break the industry... rather Bubble Pop just expedited the entire thing. As for Miss A, well, tbh I couldn't see how they could've failed especially with the backing of JYP. Suzy's stint on Dream High also expedited the process, though this is kinda arguable as Good-bye Baby is fncking amazing in it's own right.

AOA and Bestie though? I've seen Seolhyun on RM and Choa on Primary's vid, but beyond that I've got no clue who they are. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the AOA stans to show me the light lol. Bestie, I've heard the name thrown around, but they too are way under the radar. Now I'm not saying that y'all should school me on who they are, but I'm just stating my own observations.

Granted, I haven't been closely following the girl group arms race for more than a year now. And I'm only really here for the K-Hiphop and K-RnB these days so that might explain why they're under the radar for me. But on the other hand, I feel like K-Pop GAF is a decent sample size where all groups get some representation one way or another... so if something isn't popular in here, it's probably the same outside of GAF's confines. Like I rarely see AOA and Bestie in AsianJunkie and r/kpop whereas EXID has a post about them at least once a week and it seems like it's the same here on GAF.

Anyway, I think it's just all luck and money tbh. Otherwise, 9Muses would've been the queens of the game for a long time now. Instead, we get a rotation that's strictly limited to 4 groups, Sistar, Girls Day, 4Minute, and A-Pink. Somebody can buck the trend, but then they fade off to obscurity after.

Dice

Is this about butterfaces or some other similarity?
Not exactly. I meant like... Seolhyun/Dahye are super hot girls and they know how to flaunt it, but that isn't necessarily the same thing as star power. Uji/Choa have that star power, although their looks don't completely conform with the social ideals. I wouldn't say they are butterfaces unless the context was like "Let's find the prettiest girls possible" because while I don't recall ever being stunned by their beauty, they are still better looking than a lot of idols.

The Hani/4M Hyuna/Dahye "it" is more so their intangibles, star quality, and stage presence than common sultriness, though. Suzy shares some of these qualities, and other subtle ones, but she's the most dissimilar among that type of group.
I agree, I was just saying she is of a different type of star while still having many star characteristics. In the most recent promotions, I was really into Min on the leadup, and I've always loved Fei, but who stole all my attention when I actually watched the stages? Suzy, big time. I really don't think she is lacking in charm/charisma, it's just not a bold or sultry type. She is more of a "lovely" type.

edit: And to be fair, some of the Korean media and fansites treat Suzy like Avatars treat Taeyeon. The level of attention can be unending and wildly out of balance, so that has a way of skewing things for some people as far as "ratings."
That is true, but she also gets a fuckton of senseless hate. From both genders among both Korean and internationals she has a lot of lovers and haters. So she is definitely super marketable but I don't know if I'd say she's overrated.

Suzy is terrible
Bynh2CJ.gif

Eldren

What kind of wizardry did T-ara fans do to the Billboard site to make them beat One Direction in that stupid Fan Army vote thing? They're even ahead of Beyonce by more than 3x the votes for the Final.

I think it was less about people voting for T-ara and more about voting against One Direction. Their fans are gross.

Anyway, some videos:
Yuna, Hyejeong and Choa performing Empire State Of Mind at KCON NY. Vocal trinity and their half decent English.

And subs for Hyejeong's little show she's doing on Naver's new V app (which is cool and you should check it out) called Fox's Secret:
Intro/preview
Episode 1
Episode 2

Ridiculously cute. And the fact she struggles so much to actually use the damn app is so endearing.

Dice

Hyejeong is just too darling. <33333333333

Music Bank had some of the worst direction I've seen for Sonamoo just now. They constantly had these way zoomed in and bouncing face shots during their power choreo so you not only didn't see the choreo but you basically only saw their hair flying around. So dumb.

Edit: Holy shit 9M taught Minha how to make some facial expressions. Also Sungah has the worst hair like wow.

Edit 2: Holy shit this song Solji is featuring in is fucking terrible.

Edit 3: Holy shit A Pink's makeup tonight makes them all look drunk.

Edit 4: Holy shit it's so weird seeing T-ara so bright and present like they actually slept and ate.

Edit 5: Holy shit Sunmi gets me every time. EVERY TIME!

Edit 6: Holy shit that Shinee stage was next level even for them. I think SM cut a deal to use their own camera guy or something.

Was this posted before?

Diplo x CL x RiFF RAFF x OG Maco - Doctor Pepper (Official Music Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVth_C1zYrw

Soooo good.
lol

For reference, these are my thoughts on the song when it came out a couple of months ago:

Lol I'm not surprised everybody in K-Pop land is bashing the shit out this.

Y'all need some dirty southern hip-hop in your life on top of the clean and dainty stuff K-Pop brings.

Yes, I do like it.

I still stand by this, although I do have to say, this is a half-assed Diplo production and RiFF RAFF/OG Maco should feel bad that CL's a better rapper than them lol.

I... actually agree. It's hard to admit as I'm a big Suzy fan, but she shares a lot of similarities with Yoong. The "face" of the group then dramas and whatever else. Sure, she's dancing and singing better than before, but like Yoong, she's nothing compared to the heavyweights in their own respective groups.

Yoona hasn't improved at singing at all though. Suzy these days is at least a decent vocalist. A better comparison to Yoona is Uee/Jooyeon. But yeah, Suzy is overrated, just like Hyuna is. Not crazy overrated like Sohee is though.

AOA and Bestie though? I've seen Seolhyun on RM and Choa on Primary's vid, but beyond that I've got no clue who they are. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the AOA stans to show me the light lol. Bestie, I've heard the name thrown around, but they too are way under the radar. Now I'm not saying that y'all should school me on who they are, but I'm just stating my own observations.

Granted, I haven't been closely following the girl group arms race for more than a year now. And I'm only really here for the K-Hiphop and K-RnB these days so that might explain why they're under the radar for me. But on the other hand, I feel like K-Pop GAF is a decent sample size where all groups get some representation one way or another... so if something isn't popular in here, it's probably the same outside of GAF's confines. Like I rarely see AOA and Bestie in AsianJunkie and r/kpop whereas EXID has a post about them at least once a week and it seems like it's the same here on GAF.

Anyway, I think it's just all luck and money tbh. Otherwise, 9Muses would've been the queens of the game for a long time now. Instead, we get a rotation that's strictly limited to 4 groups, Sistar, Girls Day, 4Minute, and A-Pink. Somebody can buck the trend, but then they fade off to obscurity after.

If you haven't seen AOA on r/kpop, you haven't been paying attention. At all. Read the last line of this comment I saw today. Not saying he nailed it, but it's much much closer than your assessment. That list you posted at the end, AOA should be in it. And they should be in it before Girl's Day, possibly even 4Minute. AOA have made it, they're not nugus like Bestie.

Was this posted before?

Diplo x CL x RiFF RAFF x OG Maco - Doctor Pepper (Official Music Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVth_C1zYrw

Soooo good.
lol

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/popcrush.com/files/2015/05/mariah-carey-i-dont-know-her.gif

Peru

Whatever, I think Dr Pepper is pretty, pretty catchy

I honestly believe EXID wouldn't be where they are now without Pharkil's fancam, hell I didn't even know who Hani was until Crime Scene 2, that's how under the radar EXID was for me. Bubble Pop did Hyuna and the 4Minutes huge wonders too, but on this one I think they already had a chance to break the industry... rather Bubble Pop just expedited the entire thing.

Brah, 4Minute were basically bigger before Bubble Pop than after. They had already broken through years earlier and sort of started struggling to find a hit in the wake of Hyuna's success. They only got back to old heights again with 'What's Your Name'. Also Hyuna was already famous solo by that time.

A few of us were talking about EXID from their debut because they were fkn awesome. Pharkil's fancam together with webcammers covering it got people listening. Hani was, kinda incidentally, the player in that fancam, but I think mainly it got big because it got played around and people realized how catchy it was.

llehuty

I feel like K-Pop GAF is a decent sample size where all groups get some representation one way or another... so if something isn't popular in here, it's probably the same outside of GAF's confines. Like I rarely see AOA and Bestie in AsianJunkie and r/kpop whereas EXID has a post about them at least once a week and it seems like it's the same here on GAF.

Wut? are we even visiting the same thread.

I would also say that using asianjunkie as a metric to determine which girl groups are popular it's probably not very accurate. If that was the case, Crayon Pop should be the #1 girl group or something.
Fortunately, that's not true.

Speaking of Crayon Pop, weren't they supposed to release a full album one year ago? lol

Wut? are we even visiting the same thread.

Its jk brah. Never has a person been wrong about everything since the "Ashwrong" era of a few years ago.

and jk, open your eyes man! this threads been posting AOA material for a long time now.

I didnt know who they were back then, but people definitely posted mina, choa, seolhyun, jimin (lol), hyejeong, chanmi stuff ALOT. To the point where even I started paying attention.

As far as popularity? lmao AOA is everywhere now.

Variety shows, dramas, CFs, magazine shoots, song collabs, etc.

I even mentioned two weeks ago that AOA got a bigger live reaction than Red Velvet at KCON.

The fact that youre oblivious to them and question their popularity "or lack thereof" is not their fault but yours for ignoring them all this time :p

They got to the point now that theyre constantly winning shows (even beating out Sisturds or Girls Day as if their recent releases werent so easy to beat to begin with).

AOA is in a good place now. They built a loyal enough fanbase that they can start releasing cringe worthy shit like sisturds "Touch My Body" and win shows and top charts with it. I hope not. Sistar and Girls Day had good material before "success" came along :/

So jk, watch Miniskirt and start your AOA journey from there ;)

If you haven't seen AOA on r/kpop, you haven't been paying attention. At all. Read the last line of this comment I saw today. Not saying he nailed it, but it's much much closer than your assessment. That list you posted at the end, AOA should be in it. And they should be in it before Girl's Day, possibly even 4Minute. AOA have made it, they're not nugus like Bestie.

I've honestly tried to get into AOA recently, due to Seolhyun's RM appearance, and the songs they've put out are great, but that's really all it. I feel like I'm missing something from them and that's why I've been ignoring them for a while. I've actually seen Miniskirt and Like A Cat before her RM appearance since it was posted almost everywhere, including here, but it was the same then, and the same now. The music is great, the MV's vary in quality, and the girls look great, but I still feel that they're lacking something that gets them in my radar all the time.

Take this is an example... I personally don't give a crap about EXID's music. Up & Down and Ah Yeah aren't great songs IMO. But Hani was fantastic on Crime Scene 2, and their stint on Showtime is one of the best things I've ever seen so I've become a huge fan. Maybe that's what AOA needs to get in my radar? An "ace" that'll rope casual fans like me in their fanbase.

Brah, 4Minute were basically bigger before Bubble Pop than after. They had already broken through years earlier and sort of started struggling to find a hit in the wake of Hyuna's success. They only got back to old heights again with 'What's Your Name'. Also Hyuna was already famous solo by that time.

A few of us were talking about EXID from their debut because they were fkn awesome. Pharkil's fancam together with webcammers covering it got people listening. Hani was, kinda incidentally, the player in that fancam, but I think mainly it got big because it got played around and people realized how catchy it was.

Lol honestly, I got into K-Pop right around Bubble Pop. I knew 4Minute were already successful in their home country, but to us international fans, I really think Bubble Pop pushed them over the edge. Though I could be wrong on this too lol.

I think the stars just perfectly aligned for EXID. The fancam and Hani stealing the show on Crime Scene 2, you honestly couldn't plan that to happen. But I'm glad it did though, coz EXID's realness is giving me life haha.

ramyeon

The song sounds okay. Just okay. I wish SM would start giving SNSD more interesting concepts to work with. But I guess they have Red Velvet and f(x) for that.

Top Bottom