• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamen Rider Drive |OT| START YOUR ENGINE AND DRIVE THE KAMEN RIDER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

We finally have an insert song!

Mach is appropriately douchey. And probably one of my fave secondary Rider suits.

Zynx

Welp, looks like Type Technic might have already lost its ability to target and shoot down projectiles, continuing the Rider tradition of "hey look this new rider/form has a new awesome ability - wait why isn't that ability used anymore?" I honestly wonder how many more machines it'll hack or whatever. And how long will it take for Mach to lose its ability to fly?

NeonZ

Welp, looks like Type Technic might have already lost its ability to target and shoot down projectiles, continuing the Rider tradition of "hey look this new rider/form has a new awesome ability - wait why isn't that ability used anymore?"

Sanjo usually seems above average in handling form's gimmicks. For example, Fourze seemed to use more switches in his episodes than others, even later on in the show after Cosmic's debut.

However, I remember the same thing happening with a similar ability used by W Xtreme - it was supposed to be able to instantly scan the Gaia library to target enemy weakness and break through any special abilities used against it, but that ability was quickly forgotten and W just had the standard access a few episodes later, making Xtreme one of the least impressive final forms without anything special.

WarRock

THIS WHOLE EPISODE OH MY

I am just going to dump screenshots to show how much I liked it. Good fight, great debut, plot advancement, lots of good scenes, lots of funny scenes, intriguing end and preview. They have to keep this up. Oh, and Gen is a cat, apparently.
rntqXeu.jpg
LrBFfhf.jpg
pb8JBFk.jpg
6j9q52J.jpg
OYV9yjs.jpg
rrxbO5Q.jpg
8fTVanS.jpg
KC7Lzzs.jpg
jAsUeLV.jpg

Mach's belt and suit are amazing, and I lost my shit and his helmet turned to be an actual bike helmet:

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I like how what Gen kept seeing of Kamen Rider Drive ended up resembling the original Riders, nice running gag that I guess will tie into Super Hero Taisen with Rider #3. I was actually thinking at first that it was hinting towards what Drive's Final Form will look like.

Welp, looks like Type Technic might have already lost its ability to target and shoot down projectiles, continuing the Rider tradition of "hey look this new rider/form has a new awesome ability - wait why isn't that ability used anymore?" I honestly wonder how many more machines it'll hack or whatever. And how long will it take for Mach to lose its ability to fly?

At the very least, I'm glad the show seems to be doing a good job at rotating the forms---I honestly though we wouldn't have seen Type Technic again after its debut arc for quite awhile. Hopefully it stays like this.

javadoze

Seeing Riku Sanjo is the head writer of the series, I don't think the main abilities of Type Technic will be forgotten about.

Otherwise, nice intro episode for Mach. Really a fan of how physical he is and the funny shots of him flipping from building to building. I hope they make use of this character trait for some fights later on.

Watch Da Birdie

I imagine part of the reason Technic was nerfed this episode was simply to make Mach stand out.

WarRock

I would say he is Wizard, not Beast. Not because of the "It's showtime" line, but his whole personality and shenanigans are pretty close to the Wizard tease before the series and the rare moments where Haruto showed personality, both during the show and in movies.

Beast was never smug.

I would say he is Wizard, not Beast. Not because of the "It's showtime" line, but his whole personality and shenanigans are pretty close to the Wizard tease before the series and the rare moments where Haruto showed personality, both during the show and in movies.

Beast was never smug.

I'm not talking personality. I'm talking about the fact that I find him superior to the main Rider.

WarRock

Oh.

Too early for me to agree with you. But he gives some serious Rider #2 vibes, and this is a good thing.
Also thanks to him we got casual-Kiriko-not-handling-her-domestic-mess and that was cute.

Watch Da Birdie

Did anyone notice when Mach was jumping off the buildings pre-Henshin, his shirt changed each time lol.

WillyFive

Mach's little showy roll call had more light effects and pyrotechnics than Sentai ones. I loved how his helmet lifted up like a bike helmet, and his character seems hilarious.

Really great episode too, that sequence with the boss falling while Drive and the gunman duked it out was a riot.

Corgi

Banned
Can't help but chuckle a bit that black dude is the gun villain this season and must be taken down by America.

Now I feel bad.

Really dig the suit though. Reminds me of a kitted out version of those trooper suits from kabuto

Corgi

Banned
Isn't he the Caith Sith Phantom?

might be. Feel like i've seen him before in toku.

Just remember what Mach suit reminds me of. evel knievel.

Still not entirely sure why he has the wheel when none of his moves seem to use them.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm finally caught up to Drive and ToQger.

I didn't really like much of Mach's suit (I don't really like white suits), but I really did like his helmet and thought to myself "hey, it's a pretty cool helmet that looks like a bike helmet". I lost it when it actually opened - pretty nice.

But, I don't know... when it comes to Bike-based super heroes that wear white, Deka Break still has the upper "hand". Brace Throttle seemed nicer than the Bike Belt, but nothing beats that helmet.

Drive manages to keep me interested, even coming after Gaim, which was amazing. And that means the series is good. I'll keep watching, and I hope Mach gets more episodes and a nice character evolution, because I didn't like him that much.

I'm just stoked that I'm up-to-date on my Tokusatsu and I can go back to visiting both threads and discussing the episodes - it's been a long couple of months.

Zynx

Hmm, I have to say, I'm liking Gou's backstory development so far - it's better than I expected, for sure, and now I have high hopes for it.

Still, Mach developed to surpass Drive? Fat chance. I wonder if one day we'll have a series where the main rider isn't the only one to get the sweetest toys and final evolutions.

Also nice of Kiriko for calling out a rider for repeating the same catch-phrase and posing after transforming.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wait, so Mach's gimmick is both Bikes and Traffic Signs?

I don't know why, but that doesn't seem to fit together.

Also, why are the bikes called "shignaru baiku", with the common "japanese saying a english word" pronunciation, but the same voice says "signal koukan", in perfect english?

javadoze

Wait, so Mach's gimmick is both Bikes and Traffic Signs?

I don't know why, but that doesn't seem to fit together.

Also, why are the bikes called "shignaru baiku", with the common "japanese saying a english word" pronunciation, but the same voice says "signal koukan", in perfect english?

Supposedly, the Mach Driver is mimicing the way that Japanese words are pronounced by Americans.

Also, good episode today that made me way more interested in Go's backstory. Still not sold on the action scenes involving Mach, though gun riders never really do enthuse me.

ahdurian

so i said this in the TokuGAF topic...but it looks like Mach
has a time limit on his suit? in his first appearance he was talking about "90 seconds left", and then after the fight when he lifts his helmet, steam comes out. this week's episode basically confirms it, considering how tired he gets

but yeah...

Corgi

Banned
Think this eps was the first time they kind of 'got' the fight choreography with the 'slowdown' effect. Has a good feel.

You know, the main rider has to look bad for the weeks that introducing a new rider, but Drive was such a scrub this eps :p

yeah gou got death flags all over.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
so i said this in the TokuGAF topic...but it looks like Mach
has a time limit on his suit? in his first appearance he was talking about "90 seconds left", and then after the fight when he lifts his helmet, steam comes out. this week's episode basically confirms it, considering how tired he gets

but yeah...

Well, Professor Krim does say that Mach's belt has an AI that does the part that Krim was supposed to do in Drive's transformation, and as a result it's more demanding to the person using the suit. Mach also left before the development of the belt was complete (probably looking for ways to drain the user less)

So yeah, that makes sense.

Supposedly, the Mach Driver is mimicing the way that Japanese words are pronounced by Americans.

I just don't get why it says "signal" both ways.

Corgi

Banned
its pretty obvious that the 'missing upgrades' will tie to his final form somehow.

Lets just hope he doesn't turn out to be the 'beast' of the season ;P

vareon

This series has the worst idea of a slowdown visual effects.

The "stutter" in Mach's clip in OP looks really bad.

It's getting good, though. Putting depth in Gou obviously works, and I'm warming up with the supporting cast. I just hope Chaser isn't offed because the series had a tendency to remove a villain in teen episodes or when the second Rider enters.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This series has the worst idea of a slowdown visual effects.

The "stutter" in Mach's clip in OP looks really bad.

It's getting good, though. Putting depth in Gou obviously works, and I'm warming up with the supporting cast. I just hope Chaser isn't offed because the series had a tendency to remove a villain in teen episodes or when the second Rider enters.

thats most likely gonna be heart.

Watch Da Birdie

They straight up removed the effect on most scenes this episode. It just has half the actors "acting" in slow motion. It looks terrible.

Yeah, it was ridiculous with the thugs...they looked like they were dancing.

And when it happened to Gou, it honestly looked like he was faking it and that was the joke...but no.

vareon

They straight up removed the effect on most scenes this episode. It just has half the actors "acting" in slow motion. It looks terrible.

I thought Gou was faking his slowdown because that's totally his style. Turns out he isn't! lol

Edit: Lol everyone probably thought so.

thats most likely gonna be heart.

Probably. Still sucks since we don't see him & Brain fight a lot.

WarRock

Yeah, his henshin is really awkward. After Accel, I was expecting something that would emulate turning a bike (or, heck, checking a sign...).

Agreed about the slowdown effect comments too. It looks awful, I complained about it before, but the actors faking it was bad for other reasons.

@Mach having a time limit
The way Gou was talking, it looks like he has a time limit.

javadoze

Wait, the slowdown wasn't faked? Gou totally looked like his legs fell asleep or something.

This isn't like clock-up or a big CGI blowout. So why are they cheaping out on a simple slow-motion effect?

Corgi

Banned
you know, I feel like they are finally starting to get how to do the 'slowdown' effect right for the fights. Using it to help emphasize the hits is the way to go.

ayvdrd.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom