• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: The Police Aren’t Under Attack. Institutionalized Racism Is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQX

What a great writeup by one the greatest athletes. The whole piece is worth reading.

Abdul-Jabbar is a six-time NBA champion and league Most Valuable Player. He is also a celebrated author, filmmaker and education ambassador.
The way to honor those who defend our liberties with their lives—as did my father and grandfather—is not to curtail liberty, but to exercise it fully in pursuit of a just and peaceful society.

According to Ecclesiastes, “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose.” For me, today, that means a time to seek justice and a time to mourn the dead.

And a time to shut the hell up.

The recent brutal murder of two Brooklyn police officers, Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu, is a national tragedy that should inspire nationwide mourning. Both my grandfather and father were police officers, so I appreciate what a difficult and dangerous profession law enforcement is. We need to value and celebrate the many officers dedicated to protecting the public and nourishing our justice system. It’s a job most of us don’t have the courage to do.

At the same time, however, we need to understand that their deaths are in no way related to the massive protests against systemic abuses of the justice system as symbolized by the recent deaths—also national tragedies—of Eric Garner, Akai Gurley, and Michael Brown. Ismaaiyl Brinsley, the suicidal killer, wasn’t an impassioned activist expressing political frustration, he was a troubled man who had shot his girlfriend earlier that same day. He even Instagrammed warnings of his violent intentions. None of this is the behavior of a sane man or rational activist. The protests are no more to blame for his actions than The Catcher in the Rye was for the murder of John Lennon or the movie Taxi Driver for the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan. Crazy has its own twisted logic and it is in no way related to the rational cause-and-effect world the rest of us attempt to create.

Those who are trying to connect the murders of the officers with the thousands of articulate and peaceful protestors across America are being deliberately misleading in a cynical and selfish effort to turn public sentiment against the protestors. This is the same strategy used when trying to lump in the violence and looting with the legitimate protestors, who have disavowed that behavior. They hope to misdirect public attention and emotion in order to stop the protests and the progressive changes that have already resulted. Shaming and blaming is a lot easier than addressing legitimate claims.

Some police unions are especially heinous perpetrators. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s previous public support of protestors has created friction with these unions. The Patrolman’s Benevolent Association responded with a petition asking that the mayor not attend the funerals of officers killed in the line of duty. Following the murders of Ramos and Liu, an account appearing to represent the Sergeants Benevolent Association tweeted: “The blood of 2 executed police officers is on the hands of Mayor de Blasio.” Former New York governor George Pataki tweeted: “Sickened by these barbaric acts, which sadly are a predictable outcome of divisive anti-cop rhetoric of #ericholder and #mayordeblasio. #NYPD.”

This phony and logically baffling indignation is similar to that expressed by the St. Louis County Police Association when it demanded an apology from the NFL when several Rams players entered the field with their hands held high in the iconic Michael Brown gesture of surrender. Or when LeBron James and W.R. Allen wore his “I Can’t Breathe” shirts echoing Eric Gardner’s final plea before dying. Such outrage by police unions and politicians implies that there is no problem, which is the erroneous perception that the protestors are trying to change.

This shrill cry of “policism” (a form of reverse racism) by Pataki and the police unions is a hollow and false whine born of financial self-interest (unions) or party politics (Republican Pataki besmirching Democrat de Blasio) rather than social justice. These tragic murders now become a bargaining chip in whatever contract negotiations or political aspirations they have.

What prompted a mentally unstable man to shoot two officers? Protestors? The mayor? Or the unjust killings of unarmed black men? Probably none of them. He was a ticking bomb that anything might have set off. What’s most likely to prevent future incidents like this? Stopping the protests which had sparked real and positive changes through a national dialogue? Changes that can only increase faith in and respect for the police? No, because the killer was mentally unfit. Most likely protecting the police from future incidents will come from better mental health care to identify, treat, and monitor violent persons. Where are those impassioned tweets demanding that?

In a Dec. 21, 2014 article about the shooting, the Los Angeles Times referred to the New York City protests as “anti-police marches,” which is grossly inaccurate and illustrates the problem of perception the protestors are battling. The marches are meant to raise awareness of double standards, lack of adequate police candidate screening, and insufficient training that have resulted in unnecessary killings. Police are not under attack, institutionalized racism is. Trying to remove sexually abusive priests is not an attack on Catholicism, nor is removing ineffective teachers an attack on education. Bad apples, bad training, and bad officials who blindly protect them, are the enemy. And any institution worth saving should want to eliminate them, too.

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose.” This is the season and time when we should be resolved to continue seeking justice together and not let those with blind biases distract, diminish, or divide us. The way to honor those who defend our liberties with their lives—as did my father and grandfather—is not to curtail liberty, but to exercise it fully in pursuit of a just and peaceful society.

Abdul-Jabbar is a six-time NBA champion and league Most Valuable Player. He is also a celebrated author, filmmaker and education ambassador.

http://time.com/3643462/kareem-abdul-jabbar-nypd-shootings-police/

cdyhybrid

Great writing, but I fear it won't make a difference. The masses are only willing to excuse white people for heinous crimes because of mental illness.

tbm24

Excellent read, I haven't kept up with the aftermath of the murder but it doesn't surprise me reading what reactions have been in his write up. In particular those tweets from the police union.

Rembrandt

Banned
I bet I won't see this in Facebook like I did with Barkley's stupid ass comment.

Great report and it's a shame his actions are being used to attack the protests.

markot

Banned
Great writing, but I fear it won't make a difference. The masses are only willing to excuse white people for heinous crimes because of mental illness.
Right....

Except we see in the other thread on this topic, post after post stating 'this isnt the way' 'it was bound to happen'.

Theyre linking it to the recent events too. You cant fault one side for doing that, then ignore the fact that 'your' side is doing the same thing to a large degree.

Right....

Except we see in the other thread on this topic, post after post stating 'this isnt the way' 'it was bound to happen'.

Theyre linking it to the recent events too. You cant fault one side for doing that, then ignore the fact that 'your' side is doing the same thing to a large degree.

Logic failure

If anything you're proving his point. And there are no "sides" to be taken in this; two cops just doing their jobs were senselessly murdered and that's a tragedy.

Good stuff, well said. I would extend it to institutionalized corruption and lawlessness, of which racism is a major visible component.

Trey

I would rather a long hard look at the apportionment of power in our society. That's the bed rock issue. Mental illness further blurs these lines, and absolutely must be addressed, but it is not the silver bullet.

markot

Banned
Logic failure

If anything you're proving his point. And there are no "sides" to be taken in this; two cops just doing their jobs were senselessly murdered and that's a tragedy.

There are no sides? have you been listening to comments from people about this event? There are very clearly sides that have been taken by people. The entire problem is that people flock to 'their sides' and view things from that point of view entirely.

I also dont see how it is a logic failure... the comments in that thread by those who claim 'this isnt the way' or that find it hard to sypmathise with cops 'given recent events' are linking this act to the protests and deaths of black men by police.

Again, both sides are doing this. The point is, as Kareem states, that this event had nothing to do with the protests or the recent coverage of the deaths of Brown and co, its wrong to use the deaths of cops to point fingers at protestors or the mayor. Its wrong, equally, for people to see the deaths of the cops as 'inevitable' or as something that was bound to a happen due to police action. One is using the deaths of cops for political purposes. So is the other.

There are no sides? have you been listening to comments from people about this event? There are very clearly sides that have been taken by people. The entire problem is that people flock to 'their sides' and view things from that point of view entirely.

I also dont see how it is a logic failure... the comments in that thread by those who claim 'this isnt the way' or that find it hard to sypmathise with cops 'given recent events' are linking this act to the protests and deaths of black men by police.

Again, both sides are doing this. The point is, as Kareem states, that this event had nothing to do with the protests or the recent coverage of the deaths of Brown and co, its wrong to use the deaths of cops to point fingers at protestors or the mayor. Its wrong, equally, for people to see the deaths of the cops as 'inevitable' or as something that was bound to a happen due to police action. One is using the deaths of cops for political purposes. So is the other.

Do your thing

Rembrandt

Banned

Those are two sides of the same coin.

devilhawk

No, because the killer was mentally unfit. Most likely protecting the police from future incidents will come from better mental health care to identify, treat, and monitor violent persons. Where are those impassioned tweets demanding that?
This sounds eerily similar to what gun nuts reply with after a mass shooting.

devilhawk

How you mean? Not seeing the parallels.
Commonly after mass shootings gun proponents often point to the mental capacity of the shooter.

It doesn't have to be gun proponents. If the shooter was ideologically connected then individuals also of the ideology commonly use this tactic. I remember it happening recently with the California shooter that was clearly misogynist. Happens commonly with religious followers too.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Good read. By now, most people have probably forgotten about that guy named Eric Frein despite it being a recent story. The bottom line is Kareem's right. Unstable, sociopaths like this guy are bound to harm others. They just find a convenient excuse and then commit their act of violence.

This sounds eerily similar to what gun nuts reply with after a mass shooting.
Yes. Similar. I said the same thing, about the killer's mental state, that is. Seems like something someone with a large amount of mental issues would do..scary to sound like those folks, but shit overlaps sometimes.

kirblar

Commonly after mass shootings gun proponents often point to the mental capacity of the shooter.

It doesn't have to be gun proponents. If the shooter was ideologically connected then individuals also of the ideology commonly use this tactic. I remember it happening recently with the California shooter that was clearly misogynist. Happens commonly with religious followers too.
The difference is that the gun nuts are doing it to downplay the effect the guns have on amplifying any singular individuals destructive capabilities.

The difference is that the gun nuts are doing it to downplay the effect the guns have on amplifying any singular individuals destructive capabilities.
Right. Their motivation is to say "People who are mentally ill would use a carrot to kill you..the gun is inconsequential." I'm obviously not bringing up whatever weapon he used. I'm just saying, like KAJ, that this guy clearly had issues of the noggin.

There's really no denying this, because I don't see too many sane folks going down this path..

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Nice writeup. It will be lost between the mudslinging that is going to increase as time passes however.

Good article. I agree with just about everything he wrote.

I find that premise to be flawed if anyone that points to mental health after a shooting get labeled "gun nut". It's pointed out there for the same reason it's being pointed out here.

Not really seeing the difference besides the assumption gun proponents are "dodging".

jay23

This is a great write up. It's disgusting what the police Union is doing, declaring "wartime". I don't know what the hell that means when the killer is already dead.

You mean the Guardian of the Fallacy?

I sincerely hope TNT doesn't try and discuss this.

Wonderful words, but I fear they'll fall on deaf ears. A lot of people out there were looking for a good excuse to dismiss the protests that have been happening and this shooting is the perfect opportunity to do so.

JB1981

How about these Republicans who are so concerned for the welfare of New York's finest take a tougher stance on gun control. How about that, eh?

Nah they'd rather manufacture political outrage and take shots at easy targets like Al Sharpton. I hate these people.

kirblar

I find that premise to be flawed if anyone that points to mental health after a shooting get labeled "gun nut". It's pointed out there for the same reason it's being pointed out here.

Not really seeing the difference besides the assumption gun proponents are "dodging".
That wasn't what I was saying. (They're both issues.) I was saying that NRA-types bringing up mental health issues to deflect from gun ones is different from it being brought up n a vacuum.

MBison

"At the same time, however, we need to understand that their deaths are in no way related to the massive protests against systemic abuses of the justice system as symbolized by the recent deaths—also national tragedies—of Eric Garner, Akai Gurley, and Michael Brown."

Uh false.

"At the same time, however, we need to understand that their deaths are in no way related to the massive protests against systemic abuses of the justice system as symbolized by the recent deaths—also national tragedies—of Eric Garner, Akai Gurley, and Michael Brown."

Uh false.

They are related in the loosest sense but the protests that have been popping up over the last few months are not about cop killing. This dude mentioned their deaths as his motivation but this dude also killed his girlfriend and drove to NYC to kill 2 cops. He is for lack of better words, fucking crazy. His actions do not degrade in any way what the protesters have been advocating for.

xsarien

daedsiluap
the protests are no more to blame for his actions than The Catcher in the Rye was for the murder of John Lennon or the movie Taxi Driver for the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan. Crazy has its own twisted logic and it is in no way related to the rational cause-and-effect world the rest of us attempt to create.

There isn't a "YES" .gif in the world that's big enough. Peter Lynch and the PBA blaming de Blasio is downright offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom