• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ron Johnson resigns at Riot Games following social media post about George Floyd

Umbral

George Floyd —————Tony Timpa
Breonna Taylor ———— Duncan Lemp

There’s been more people killed in the riots as a result. 1 death begets 15 (last number I knew of).

This is a complex issue that nobody wants to take the time to talk about with any degree of nuance. People have their ideas and beliefs and hold onto them with a death grip. Since nobody wants to talk about it honestly and talk about every aspect it will not be solved and we will be here again soon enough. It’s a shame.

StormCell

Don't think George Floyd should have died.

Don't think the cops should have had that happen.

Don't think Rob Johnson should be losing his job and career over sharing a thing on FB. Riot Games can make up whatever BS they like regarding how it effects their company, but, naaaaaaaaahhh, nobody is looking at your employee's FB pages and drawing conclusions about your software company. Here, have some woke cookies for your woke virtue signaling. I hope Rob got a huge payout to resign.

Listen, the day is almost upon us when simply not being a far left democrat is grounds for refusing you service/work/utilities/life. We're treading ever closer to that point where not being part of the nation's party is grounds for removal from the society. That ain't cool.

bender

What time is it?
George Floyd —————Tony Timpa
Breonna Taylor ———— Duncan Lemp

There’s been more people killed in the riots as a result. 1 death begets 15 (last number I knew of).

This is a complex issue that nobody wants to take the time to talk about with any degree of nuance. People have their ideas and beliefs and hold onto them with a death grip. Since nobody wants to talk about it honestly and talk about every aspect it will not be solved and we will be here again soon enough. It’s a shame.

It's not one death though. George Floyd is the tipping point.

nordique

He doesn’t get it

and if his views are contradictory to the company that fired him, that is entirely their right to do so

He posted exactly what I’d expect a racist old white dude to post. Completely and absolutely missing the point.

ruvikx

Banned
He doesn’t get it

and if his views are contradictory to the company that fired him, that is entirely their right to do so

He posted exactly what I’d expect a racist old white dude to post. Completely and absolutely missing the point.

It's racist to name a black criminal... a criminal. Okay. Now watch the entire "ur a wacist!" name calling crash & burn.

Humanity existed for thousands of years long before racism was coined as a negative & will endure for long after. This little era is a small hiccup & your post simply epitomized why slippery, subjective definitions of racism are a failed moral concept.

StormCell

He doesn’t get it

Companies don't get to have views, man. A company is not a person. Does a company cast a vote in US elections? Does a company have a favorite color? Favorite food? If we knock one of its windows out, does it feel pain, will it bleed?

A company is comprised of multiple people with differing sets of views. It's morally reprehensible for companies to fire employees on the basis of not sharing opinions or beliefs, especially those of a political nature.

nordique

It's racist to name a black criminal... a criminal. Okay. Now watch the entire "ur a wacist!" name calling crash & burn.

Humanity existed for thousands of years long before racism was coined as a negative & will endure for long after. This little era is a small hiccup & your post simply epitomized why slippery, subjective definitions of racism are a failed moral concept.

youre intellectualizing this too much

the core issues are what they are. and someone is either able to acknowledge them, or someone is unable to do so, for whatever myriad of reasons. This guys Facebook post reveals his stance and inability to understand the core issues.

so yeah, he’s got the same view id expect from a racist old white dude who probably doesn’t even realize he is racist or understand what privilege is

nordique

Companies don't get to have views, man. A company is not a person. Does a company cast a vote in US elections? Does a company have a favorite color? Favorite food? If we knock one of its windows out, does it feel pain, will it bleed?

A company is comprised of multiple people with differing sets of views. It's morally reprehensible for companies to fire employees on the basis of not sharing opinions or beliefs, especially those of a political nature.

Well, ok. So if any random company had a CEO or someone who worked at a company and represented that brand, on their personal account supported something like Racism or Slavery it’s ok? That’s an extreme example but the point stands - it’s someone who works for a company with a view that may not be representative of what that company wants to portray. They do have public image for one thing

If companies do not have views then how about corporate NASCAR banning confederate flags?

Companies should have views if there are moral grounds for those views, and what we are seeing by many companies onboard with black lives matter and showing support is evidence that there are moral grounds to support or at least publicly show support of

Last edited:
Pointing out the guy was a habitual criminal and should not be made into a saintly figure is one thing, but wishing he'd died sooner is crossing a line that instantly undermines the point he was trying to make.
While I agree (and I never wish anyone dies, except that guy who stole my bike back in 2006--he deserves to die hanging). Anyway, the disturbing thing is that the people who fired him probably wish President Trump died at every waking hour and in their dreams. These are not positions I agree with, one does not make the other "right", they are ideological factions that are fighting for power, and we are caught in the middle--assuming you have not taken a side.

Another problem, I noticed some youtube videos have blank sound in some areas where no "bad words" would happen in a sentence, is this another level of YT censorship? What's your favorite replacement platform?

Sacred

It doesn't matter what kind of a person he was, he was still murdered.

I completely agree and I'm glad the officer that did it was charged, why in turn should he be thrown these big public funerals and given all this attention. The guy didn't deserve to die, but he was not a good person, so people need to stop pretending he was and cancelling anyone that brings up his past.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
mwgziwsd1goxfv3dsk3r.jpg
Floyd is the perfect example of a repeat offender criminal.

Who knew modern day people in 2020 would make a guy like this a hero.

I bet most of the people supporting him don't even now he has a longstanding criminal record. They probably don't even know he tried to pass a fake $20 bill right before dying.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I completely agree and I'm glad the officer that did it was charged, why in turn should he be thrown these big public funerals and given all this attention. The guy didn't deserve to die, but he was not a good person, so people need to stop pretending he was and cancelling anyone that brings up his past.
Bringing up his past is a way of deflecting. The reality is that he was murdered on camera while begging for his life. He may have been a criminal, but he was still human. We can't abide living in a society where this can happen or does happen too frequently. It's more about condemning his death than it is about celebrating his life.

StormCell

Well, ok. So if any random company had a CEO or someone who worked at a company and represented that brand, on their personal and public account supported something like Racism or Slavery it’s ok?

But he didn't do that, did he? He simply shared a post that he thought had compelling information on it. There are rational people out there who aren't yet sure if the cops were in the wrong, and just because that doesn't align with your feelings doesn't make that group racist. There are poc who also aren't in alignment with you, but they can't be racist against other poc, can they?

mid companies do not have views then how about corporate NASCAR banning confederate flags?

What view is that they are espousing? Oh, it's the one where they realize that if they don't do it, it could end up costing them a lot of money when protests put a stop to their races.

I think companies should have views if there are moral grounds for those views, and what we are seeing by many companies onboard with black lives matter and showing support is evidence that there are moral grounds to support or at least publicly show support of

I really don't know what to say here. I hope you're right. I'm naturally a very pessimistic person... I never expect anything good from these companies. I don't expect morals to ever have anything to do with their intentions. Ever.

PS. Not sure whether it would matter to you or not, but I'm also one of those guys who doesn't care what Raz tweeted 10 years ago. Attention on that intentionally distracts from work he is trying to do now. I don't have to fully agree with everything he believes in to look past 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
youre intellectualizing this too much

the core issues are what they are. and someone is either able to acknowledge them, or someone is unable to do so, for whatever myriad of reasons. This guys Facebook post reveals his stance and inability to understand the core issues.

so yeah, he’s got the same view id expect from a racist old white dude who probably doesn’t even realize he is racist or understand what privilege is

You’re the epitome of the dictatorial mindset that infects the far left.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Bringing up his past is a way of deflecting. The reality is that he was murdered on camera while begging for his life. He may have been a criminal, but he was still human. We can't abide living in a society where this can happen or does happen too frequently. It's more about condemning his death than it is about celebrating his life.

That's how it should be. But then you look at the 3 lavish funerals he got and the fact that nobody can say anything negative about the man's life without the wokest among us jumping down their throats. And then you have Biden, in all his addled glory, saying shit like Floyd's death had more of a global impact than MLK dying. Very few people seem to be capable of keeping things in perspective.

I don't know man, I see why he did that, but I was always raised to never speak ill of the dead. I can see this is a weird situation though with people manipulating his death for the benefit.

Except for the fact that he had preexisting heart conditions, was on fentanyl, and died from a heart attack. He would have died from running up a flight of stairs.

Or having a knee on his neck after being beaten in the back of police cruiser and restrained by restricting his airflow.

Of course those are just details.

Barakov

Gold Member
Social media gets you every time. If you really feel the need to comment on this stuff, the best course of action is to do it anonymously.

Umbral

Exactly. I remember when people hated the idea that corporations were considered people, now people are advocating for it?

It's not one death though. George Floyd is the tipping point.

Chappelle is one of greatest comedians and storytellers of our time. No one person can see the whole picture though, which is why need need honest and open conversations with everyone.

There weren’t protests or riots over the death of Tony Timpa or Duncan Lemp. It looks to me like white people do not have the same racial allegiances as others or maybe they’ve become numb to it. There are tons of white people demonstrating for Floyd and Taylor. Nobody said “Duncan Lemp was one of us, a white man.”, he was just another victim of a no-knock warrant. On one hand, I can understand their utility, no-knock warrants, on the other, innocent people like Breonna Taylor and Duncan Lemp get murdered in their home in the middle of the night. The place where you are supposed to be safe. Breonna’s boyfriend was right to use his gun. When you hear people bashing down your door while you’re sleeping you would never assume it‘s the cops. You would defend yourself as if someone is trying to kill you. No-knock warrants are too high risk and I think there will probably be legislative change on that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Holy shit Ron, read the room.

Freedom of speech doesn't exist when you represent a company on social media. He should have known that.

Solution: DONT USE SOCIAL MEDIA

Bingo. Got a opinion that may be construed as shitty, especially in our current political climate? Maaaaayyyybe don't post that on a global platform right now.

Everyone should be afraid of censorship and the oppression of speech, while it may not affect you now it will get you eventually.

The first amendment protects your freedom of speech from the government, but doesn't mean you're free from the consequences of that speech from everybody else.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
Holy shit Ron, read the room.

Bingo. Got a opinion that may be construed as shitty, especially in our current political climate? Maaaaayyyybe don't post that on a global platform right now.

The first amendment protects your freedom of speech from the government, but doesn't mean you're free from the consequences of that speech from everybody else.
Not arguing that, but my point I was making still stands. Outrage mobs and the like are ridiculous and shouldn't be cheered on or supported imo

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

It's clear some of you shouldn't even be involved in a discussion about this kind of topic. It's definitely one of the reasons why I don't talk about this here. To each their own, but some of the reactions and opinions I've seen here are a bit much to say the least. All I will say is, while Floyd may seem like a "nobody" to some, he was the latest target of police brutality. Which made him much more than a nobody in the eyes of many. A man that lost his life over something that was so incredibly petty, also at the hands of law enforcement. It's absurd, and it's disgusting.

All in all there's a time and a place for stuff like this. Opinions as well. That being said, I'm glad that Ron was removed. Also, screw Riot Games, lmao.

You're assuming that most take his criminal past to mean him being killed, regardless of the circumstances, was acceptable.

Personally he should not have died, the whole group of police involved in this deserve to be punished just like a civilian would.

But his criminal past is just that, criminal. I sympathize with his death cause he should have been arrested and processed through the system. But all this parading his body around and making him a martyr for the black community is honestly ridiculous. He was not a great person, he held a pregnant lady at gunpoint. You dont slip up and find yourself doing that kind of shit. That's a choice he made.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Not arguing that, but my point I was making still stands. Outrage mobs and the like are ridiculous and shouldn't be cheered on or supported imo

When you paint situations like these as "Outrage Mobs" you're kinda missing the point.

If an individual represents a company and they make a controversial statement, as a customer of that company you have the right to query said company as to whether or not they stand behind those statements.

The company could say "We stand behind his/her statement." just as easily as they're allowed to reprimand the individual. By the same token, if the company stands behind the statement, you're allowed as a customer to no longer give them your business.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
That's how it should be. But then you look at the 3 lavish funerals he got and the fact that nobody can say anything negative about the man's life without the wokest among us jumping down their throats. And then you have Biden, in all his addled glory, saying shit like Floyd's death had more of a global impact than MLK dying. Very few people seem to be capable of keeping things in perspective.
Well the American left is out of it's goddamn mind and always exploit whatever they can. I just ignore it.

Last edited:

Umbral

There’s is the cultural idea of freedom of speech and it appears we are losing that. I imagine that is what he’s referring to. You do not want other people deciding what you can and cannot say. It may not affect you now, but given enough time and encouragement from myopic people, it will.

Umbral

When you paint situations like these as "Outrage Mobs" you're kinda missing the point.

If an individual represents a company and they make a controversial statement, as a customer of that company you have the right to query said company as to whether or not they stand behind those statements.

The company could say "We stand behind his/her statement." just as easily as they're allowed to reprimand the individual. By the same token, if the company stands behind the statement, you're allowed as a customer to no longer give them your business.

I would never think to question the company because the statement was made by an individual. Lots of collectivist thinking going around.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Being a racist little bitch should definitely carry legal consequences, maybe the death penalty would be appropriate for such crimes against humanity, hope politicians with balls can push for something like that when the balless ones are out of the picture.

Nobody made the guy to be a martyr, that's just tired old ad hominem and strawman arguments, misrepresenting the "other side" (it's everyone vs racists so if you think that everyone is the "other side", yikes) to then shut down your imaginary version of it.

Last edited:

whyman

So he got fired for stating facts? Oh America, going downhill by the hour. Too bad it’s infecting the gaming industry!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I would never think to question the company because the statement was made by an individual. Lots of collectivist thinking going around.

Agree to disagree, especially when we're talking about an executive position.

In the end you're seemingly getting upset about the "mob" when you should actually be getting upset at the company that makes the decision to reprimand the employee.

There’s is the cultural idea of freedom of speech and it appears we are losing that. I imagine that is what he’s referring to. You do not want other people deciding what you can and cannot say. It may not affect you now, but given enough time and encouragement from myopic people, it will.

You can say whatever you want to say, nobody is stopping you from doing so.

You're not free from the consequences of what you say.

If you truly believe in what you say, you need to stand by you opinion despite the blowback that may come from it.

Last edited:

Jesb

So much people losing their jobs over this. More people should just keep their political thoughts to themselves. Everyone has to have an opinion. Better to just not say anything.

Banned
If he posted that image, then I'd say that last line is the only real problem there.

Pointing out the guy was a habitual criminal and should not be made into a saintly figure is one thing, but wishing he'd died sooner is crossing a line that instantly undermines the point he was trying to make.

before I read the thread and saw the photo, it’s the last line that caught my attention as well

Umbral

Agree to disagree, especially when we're talking about an executive position.

You can say whatever you want to say, nobody is stopping you from doing so.

You're not free from the consequences of what you say.

If you truly believe in what you say, you need to stand by you opinion despite the blowback that may come from it.

So you want ideological conformity? Collectivist thinking.

The difference is I think you should be free to say whatever you want and the only consequence should be that I stop hanging around you if I don‘t want to hear it. I don’t want you to lose your job or be hurt. Words are just that. If you can’t speak, you can’t think; if you can’t think, you can‘t grow or change your mind. We work things out by speaking to others.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So you want ideological conformity? Collectivist thinking.

The difference is I think you should be free to say whatever you want and the only consequence should be that I stop hanging around you if I don‘t want to hear it. I don’t want you to lose your job or be hurt. Words are just that. If you can’t speak, you can’t think; if you can’t think, you can‘t grow or change your mind. We work things out by speaking to others.

You have the freedom to say whatever you want even if you're unemployed.

Let me simplify it for you.

If you're on a street corner and you run up to a dude and start yelling racist things at him and he hauls off an punches you square in the jaw, that's your fault. You had the freedom to say what you want, but you can't be mad at him getting angry and retaliating.

Last edited:

Umbral

Let me simplify it for you.

If you're on a street corner and you run up to a dude and start yelling racist things at him and he hauls off an punches you square in the jaw, that's on you.

You had the freedom to say what you want, but you can't be mad at him getting angry and retaliating.
I don’t think you answer words with physical violence.

You can call me whatever you want and I will never hit you. I will simply leave the area or ignore you.

The person throwing punches should be arrested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom