• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ron Johnson resigns at Riot Games following social media post about George Floyd

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It doesn't. It's the usual he's no angel defence force.
Guy got arrested for allegedly using a fake 20 dollars - that doesn't mean its ok to use excessive force or murder him .
Some people don't understand the law and its enforcement in a civil society. You can’t have your enforcement officials kill someone over a crime that could probably be reduced to a fine and community service for someone of means that can hire a decent lawyer. Considering that those bills were flooding that neighborhood around Cup Foods, he might not have even known the bill was counterfeit..... which shouldn’t result in state applied death either. You also can’t kill for past crimes that they even served time for. The asinine excuses for the murder are pathetic.

thefool

I understand the boiling point reaction of every african-american, the martyrdom of what looks to be an horrible human being doesn't help the cause tho. It's hard to be empathic over awful human beings.
I worked in two african countries for 2 years and I was treated like a big bag of shit everywhere I was (including by "cops") besides the places I knew I could go without problems. Minorities will always be persecuted and discriminated and any kid having to go through this all his life will naturally react adversely, much more in what some consider a somewhat developed country like usa (instead of the shitholes I was, where I expected nothing less). Tribalism doesn't naturally disappear. Riots don't really concern me, they are obviously an awful collateral, but we never really achieve changes without violence, either it's called blm or the yellow vests (just to mention two recent ones, and if you support one and not the other, you're just hypocritical)

Focusing on police brutality is a big mistake and an irrelevant issue that is easily tackled, easier than teaching everyone to drive well to stop getting killed on the road. Minorities are fucked because of wealth inequality, and their inability to have transferred wealth through past generations and that will, always, leave them at disadvantage over others. Sadly, there isn't an easy solution to it, besides tackling the accessibility issue (as in, mitigating the obstacles that exist to help every kid to get a fair chance to succeed in life, which is something I actually dedicate a part of my life). The weight of poverty doesn't pick races, and if you think it does, you most certainly never been in contact with it.

Firing people because of facebook political posts is pure fascism tho. Either that person his convicted of something in the eyes of the law or you're just discriminating based on weird ass parameters. Free market tho, so a lot of conservatives complaining over this garbage contributed to build these mechanisms, as well as an absurd mistake some left has been grooming in the last 20 years since communist parties lost strength in the eu-nordic green left to form the new party of european left, where labor issues and monetary policies became a secondary issue (because the left lost the power to rule) and dedicated itself to more humanistic and ethical principles, leading to this growing populism of patrolling speech.

bender

What time is it?
I completely agree and I'm glad the officer that did it was charged, why in turn should he be thrown these big public funerals and given all this attention. The guy didn't deserve to die, but he was not a good person, so people need to stop pretending he was and cancelling anyone that brings up his past.

How do you know he wasn't a good person? And why does it matter if he was or not? Why does his past matter? Go watch the video of the man dying. Listen to him tell the officers detaining him that he can't breath no less than 16 times. Listen to him cry out for his mother as he knows he's going to die. Watch as Derek Chauvin continues to kneel on his neck and back after George Floyd has passed oblivious and more concerned with whipping out his mace and threatening concerned bystanders than for the life of the man he just took. Watch again and again and keep asking yourself why it is important to bring up George Floyd's 2007 arrest or any previous of which he had paid his debt to society. Or bring up his toxicology report which had tested positive for opioids (let's call it meth!). Or that he tried to pass a counterfeit $20 bill of which we don't know the circumstance of and even if we assume the worst (that's what we are doing here, right?), is that worth a death sentence? All that picture is doing to trying to reduce the value of a man's life, a flawed man for certain but glass houses and what not. Maybe if we take the totality of his sins, we can more easily shrug off his murder. This happens every single time and sadly, as evidenced by this thread, it works.

All ask again, why aren't we more critical of the officer's past and institution that continued to employee after the racked up complaint, after complaint, after complaint? These are the people that should be held to the higher standard and who we employee. Which makes it even more ridiculous that their service jack of complaints, investigations of those complaints and outcomes are freely available to the pubic across the board.

And for all the cries of "he's no saint/martyr/hero etc.", have the intellectual curiosity to lookup a few saints, martyrs and heroes you hold so dearly and find out those people were far from perfect as well.

Last edited:
Bringing up his past is a way of deflecting. The reality is that he was murdered on camera while begging for his life. He may have been a criminal, but he was still human. We can't abide living in a society where this can happen or does happen too frequently. It's more about condemning his death than it is about celebrating his life.
But why should the content of his life be hidden from view? People see him as a martyr, how does one get this rank? and why ignore someone's past when it fits a certain narrative and go after people like Columbus, Churchill or Queen Victoria (the last two actually actively fought Nazis and slave traders).

So those riots are for what? Everybody is a victim of how the police is armed and always on the edge in the US, blacks are over represented in this, but they are also under-represented given how often they commit violent crimes--This is also part of the picture.

Can you disarm the police when the criminals walk the streets with military caliber weapons? Would the police even be able to do their work at all if they were over gunned by some street gangs? Is there a way to have them be less stressed than they already are? or can we safely assume that if the police has to de-escalate their armament streets gangs will not take over?

Did he deserve to die in such a way? sure not, he was murdered and none of his crime warrants anyone to be killed, but the discussion about police brutality has been going on for a long time, same for prison and sentencing reform, etc. and I think that whatever compromise was worked on before, they were better than brainless "de-fund the police" or any of its variant.

This is not like the police made the murders and assaults themselves, they do protect the vulnerable in the communities, despite the flaws they are so far the least bad option I know of (the rest I have seen usually is akin to some people claiming they are "good" and they would do it better, sometimes they even want to cancel courts of all things, sure I'll let you be the police/judge and jury).

1j071a.jpg

Sacred

How do you know he wasn't a good person? And why does it matter if he was or not? Why does his past matter? Go watch the video of the man dying. Listen to him tell the officers detaining him that he can't breath no less than 16 times. Listen to him cry out for his mother as he knows he's going to die. Watch as Derek Chauvin continues to kneel on his neck and back after George Floyd has passed oblivious and more concerned with whipping out his mace and threatening concerned bystanders than for the life of the man he just took. Watch again and again and keep asking yourself why it is important to bring up George Floyd's 2007 arrest or any previous of which he had paid his debt to society. Or bring up his toxicology report which had tested positive for opioids (let's call it meth!). Or that he tried to pass a counterfeit $20 bill of which we don't know the circumstance of and even if we assume the worst (that's what we are doing here, right?), is that worth a death sentence? All that picture is doing to trying to reduce the value of a man's life, a flawed man for certain but glass houses and what not. Maybe if we take the totality of his sins, we can more easily shrug off his murder. This happens every single time and sadly, as evidenced by this thread, it works.

All ask again, why aren't we more critical of the officer's past and institution that continued to employee after the racked up complaint, after complaint, after complaint? These are the people that should be held to the higher standard and who we employee. Which makes it even more ridiculous that their service jack of complaints, investigations of those complaints and outcomes are freely available to the pubic across the board.

I already fucking answered that, keep trying to guilt me into letting it go, he was arrested 9 times, that is relevant. I watched the video and said I felt awful for him and I am glad the officer involved was charged and most likely a dirty cop. He doesn't deserve three funerals and the entire country mourning over his loss, I'm sorry he just doesn't. I am tired of this argument honestly, the angry mob won't let you use facts without exploding on you or destroying your life, how is that fair, don't we as a public deserve the facts and not more propaganda driven garbage?

Spokker

If he posted that image, then I'd say that last line is the only real problem there.

Pointing out the guy was a habitual criminal and should not be made into a saintly figure is one thing, but wishing he'd died sooner is crossing a line that instantly undermines the point he was trying to make.
People frustrated with an issue may resort to stronger words than they mean. "Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out" is one example. Most people who say that don't literally believe it.

In this case it was the meme that said it, and maybe he agreed with so much that came before it that he overlooked that last part.

I have said it in tamer words, but yes, the whole thing that came after George Floyd's wrongful death is a mass hysteria.

Ron Johnson is another example of something getting railroaded during this mass hysteria.

bender

What time is it?
I already fucking answered that, keep trying to guilt me into letting it go, he was arrested 9 times, that is relevant. I watched the video and said I felt awful for him and I am glad the officer involved was charged and most likely a dirty cop. He doesn't deserve three funerals and the entire country mourning over his loss, I'm sorry he just doesn't. I am tired of this argument honestly, the angry mob won't let you use facts without exploding on you or destroying your life, how is that fair, don't we as a public deserve the facts and not more propaganda driven garbage?

I'm not trying to guilt trip you. I don't care about you at all. Propaganda driven garbage is the image that Ron Johnson posted. I'm not angry at you and haven't exploded on you. I'm not sure why the facts of George Floyd's past are relevant to his death beyond wanting to write of the worth of his life but maybe you can explain what purpose they serve. You also seem to be focusing solely on George Floyd and that's missing the greater issue.

Further, how many funerals is too many? Two? One? Also, how often you go around looking for the criminal records of victims of violent crimes?

Last edited:

StormCell

You have the freedom to say whatever you want even if you're unemployed.

Let me simplify it for you.

If you're on a street corner and you run up to a dude and start yelling racist things at him and he hauls off an punches you square in the jaw, that's your fault. You had the freedom to say what you want, but you can't be mad at him getting angry and retaliating.

There are other simple cases besides racism. Imagine having a simple office chat one day, and you find out that everyone in the company plans to vote for A in the presidential election. You state that you're unsure of who you're voting for, but your colleagues and then your boss insist that you'll be voting for A. A is the only moral option. Later that day, the company begins handing out large banners promoting A, and all your colleagues hang their A banners high. You haven't quite gotten around to figuring out what to do with your A banner, though. The next morning, you arrive at work to find your desk has been emptied and there's a note instructing you to conference room C by HR. It seems that your views aren't quite up to the standard that this company expects from all of its employees and that it wasn't a good cultural fit!

I can come up with at least a dozen of these that more than sufficiently illustrate why we need to protect individual thought.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Tell the truth about their martyr, get cancelled. Everyday I hate this world more and more.
Is it true? was he a criminal and methhead or is that just his past? 2007 since last crime means maybe he turned around?

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
There are other simple cases besides racism. Imagine having a simple office chat one day, and you find out that everyone in the company plans to vote for A in the presidential election. You state that you're unsure of who you're voting for, but your colleagues and then your boss insist that you'll be voting for A. A is the only moral option. Later that day, the company begins handing out large banners promoting A, and all your colleagues hang their A banners high. You haven't quite gotten around to figuring out what to do with your A banner, though. The next morning, you arrive at work to find your desk has been emptied and there's a note instructing you to conference room C by HR. It seems that your views aren't quite up to the standard that this company expects from all of its employees and that it wasn't a good cultural fit!

I can come up with at least a dozen of these that more than sufficiently illustrate why we need to protect individual thought.

In the real world the company wouldn't admit that they were firing you for your political views.

In Louisiana you can get fired without your employer even needing a reason.

In the end it might be best to just keep anything you may find controversial to yourself.

:messenger_musical:In the end it doesn't even maaaaaaaatteerrrrr.:messenger_musical:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
He was on fentanyl and meth when he was killed.
That's kinda crazy. Sure, that idiot cop should not outright kill a man but he probably dealt with some methheads and he was "overreacting" to say at least.

I know it's completely different thing but last year zoe quinn basically killed a man (she cancelled him, he lost wor and commited suicide) and anyone who even mention that she should be investigated and maybe she is "not so saint" got cancelled. Hell I even got banned from giantbomb for asking people in chat to just keep objectivity. Cancel culture and social media is horrifying

Sacred

In the real world the company wouldn't admit that they were firing you for your political views.

In Louisiana you can get fired without your employer even needing a reason.

In the end it might be best to just keep anything you may find controversial to yourself.

:messenger_musical:In the end it doesn't even maaaaaaaatteerrrrr.:messenger_musical:

However, in this example the employee is being forced to go with the mob without even having a chance to make a decision. Just because they didn't hang their banner to show support for a cause they didn't believe in, they got fired.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
However, in this example the employee is being forced to go with the mob without even having a chance to make a decision. Just because they didn't hang their banner to show support for a cause they didn't believe in, they got fired.

This happens sometimes. It's shitty but there's not a whole lot you can really do about it.

You may want to contact your legislator to put the bug in their ear about some sort of discrimination protection.

Sacred

This happens sometimes. It's shitty but there's not a whole lot you can really do about it.

You may want to contact your legislator to put the bug in their ear about some sort of discrimination protection.

This is what people who support Trump deal with all the time. How many people in Hollywood or the media do you think actually agree with or support the President on some issues. It's probably a pretty decent number of them. How many are allowed to show their support, very few that refuse to bend for the hivemind.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This is what people who support Trump deal with all the time. How many people in Hollywood or the media do you think actually agree with or support the President on some issues. It's probably a pretty decent number of them. How many are allowed to show their support, very few that refuse to bend for the hivemind.

Are they saying "I support Trump," or are they repeating (or expanding on) some of the problematic speech that's been he's been known to speak about? There's a big gulf there.

Saying you're a Trump supporter is one thing, saying you agree with something like his "Very Nice People....On Both Sides" line is a bit more direct.

Spokker

Bringing up his past is a way of deflecting. The reality is that he was murdered on camera while begging for his life. He may have been a criminal, but he was still human.
He was wrongly killed, but his criminal past helps people who want to educate themselves understand why he had so many interactions with police. If the narrative is that police are indiscriminately hunting down and murdering black people, then others who know that's not true are going to argue against that.

It's possible to agree that George Floyd did not deserve to die that day while disagreeing with all or part of the advocacy that came after. In true American media fashion, his death has become a comical circus through the fault of pundits, politicians and activists.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
He was wrongly killed, but his criminal past helps people who want to educate themselves understand why he had so many interactions with police. If the narrative is that police are indiscriminately hunting down and murdering black people, then others who know that's not true are going to argue against that.

It's possible to agree that George Floyd did not deserve to die that day while disagreeing with all or part of the advocacy that came after. In true American media fashion, his death has become a comical circus through the fault of pundits, politicians and activists.

The "but" isn't necessary.

He was killed due to excessive force.

His past doesn't matter here. His past offenses shouldn't be a death sentence.

The narrative isn't necessarily that police are hunting down blacks in America, but as it turns out statistically if you're black you're three times as likely to be killed via police.

An even bigger issue is how infrequently police officers are properly charged and convicted for their crimes. 99% of killings by police go uncharged, and that ain't good. You can't have a portion of society going around with the ability to kill who they please without repercussions just because they happen to be carrying a badge.

Last edited:

Spokker

The "but" isn't necessary.

He was killed due to excessive force.

His past doesn't matter here. His past offenses shouldn't be a death sentence.
The but would not be necessary if activists, the media and politicians weren't using his death to push policy that has no basis in reality.

The police were right to question him. The police were right to arrest him when he was non-compliant (as outlined in the criminal complaint against the officer). They were wrong to allegedly cause his death (though I think premeditated murder is going to be tough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt).

So when the pundits, politicians and activists start screaming about defunding the police, passing all sorts of rules that restrict law enforcement's ability to do good police work, and seeking all kinds of concessions on the basis that systemic racism exists, some people are going to push back and point out the actual reality. The vast majority of police uses of force are justified, the vast majority of police interactions are by the book and black officers are just as likely to shoot a black suspect as a white one is.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
If he posted that image, then I'd say that last line is the only real problem there.

Pointing out the guy was a habitual criminal and should not be made into a saintly figure is one thing, but wishing he'd died sooner is crossing a line that instantly undermines the point he was trying to make.
People who feel that this man's record justifies his death are part of the problem. Nothing, NOTHING warrants a man to be taken out that way. Everyone has a past. Floyd is no martyr. He was the straw that broke the camels back and the much needed spark for change in a systematiclly racist system that targets POC. He was no saint.

My guy who made this tweet shouldve remembered that. He'd still have a job. As it stands, good riddance.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The but would not be necessary if activists, the media and politicians weren't using his death to push policy that has no basis in reality.

The police were right to question him. The police were right to arrest him when he was non-compliant (as outlined in the criminal complaint against the officer). They were wrong to allegedly cause his death (though I think premeditated murder is going to be tough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt).

So when the pundits, politicians and activists start screaming about defunding the police, passing all sorts of rules that restrict law enforcement's ability to do good police work, and seeking all kinds of concessions on the basis that systemic racism exists, some people are going to push back and point out the actual reality. The vast majority of police uses of force are justified, the vast majority of police interactions are by the book and black officers are just as likely to shoot a black suspect as a white one is.

Again you keep laying on all this other information about what the police were "right to do." It doesn't matter what they were "right to do." when what they were wrong to do outweighs all that "right" by many magnitudes.

The issue is that the law enforcement across the country have gotten out of control and need to be reined in. They don't need military equipment, officers need to be properly vetted, their duties need to be reduced and handed off to other organizations where possible, and they need to be held accountable for their actions, plus a whole slew of other changes that need to occur.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
What was a "good worker and father, that went to church and turned his live around" doing taking heavy drugs and stealing cigarettes with fake bills in the middle of the day? He was 46 and acting like that. How embarrassing.

Now his family is using his child to get millions of dollars with all this propaganda.

Her dad was going to die anyway with all these heavy doses of fentanyl, meth and cocaine he had inside him that day.

How do you know he wasn't a good person? And why does it matter if he was or not? Why does his past matter?

It matters because people died, killed and lost their livelihood over that thug.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
What was a "good worker and father, that went to church and turned his live around" doing taking heavy drugs and stealing cigarettes with fake bills in the middle of the day? He was 46 and acting like that. How embarrassing.

Now his family is using his child to get millions of dollars with all this propaganda.

Her dad was going to die anyway with all these heavy doses of fentanyl, meth and cocaine he had inside him that day.

📣< DOING DRUGS, STEALING, AND USING COUNTERFEIT MONEY SHOULD NOT CARRY A DEATH SENTENCE.

Last edited:

Spokker

The issue is that the law enforcement across the country have gotten out of control and need to be reined in. They don't need military equipment, officers need to be properly vetted, their duties need to be reduced and handed off to other organizations where possible, and they need to be held accountable for their actions, plus a whole slew of other changes that need to occur.
Gotta disagree. The kind of police reform that the far left wants will only result in more dead cops. Meanwhile, the wheels of justice are moving. The system is working. These cops will see their day in court and be judged by a jury of their peers. The protesters may be on the right side of history, but they are on the wrong side of reality.

Gavon West

It's racist to name a black criminal... a criminal. Okay. Now watch the entire "ur a wacist!" name calling crash & burn.

Humanity existed for thousands of years long before racism was coined as a negative & will endure for long after. This little era is a small hiccup & your post simply epitomized why slippery, subjective definitions of racism are a failed moral concept.
Wow!

Let me ask; have you ever done anything wrong? Maybe had some shit happen you were responsible for in your past? I can guarantee you did. We all have. Floyd had a record and he paid his debt to society for his crimes. From then one, the man had no arrests for over a decade. I'd call that reformed.

This is no "small" hiccup or "little" era. This is a tipping point for those who dont get why the protests and riots began in the first place. Its also a warning for what will almost certainly happen again if they dont get it now. Nothing justifies the killing of a man in broad daylight by those who swore to serve and protect citizens. Especially after he was detained. Many other people of color didnt even get the chance to be detained before they were gunned down for no reason. Ryan missed the point - he's done! Cooked! No one will want to be affiliated with him again. I for one definitely approve .

I understand the boiling point reaction of every african-american, the martyrdom of what looks to be an horrible human being doesn't help the cause tho. It's hard to be empathic over awful human beings.
I worked in two african countries for 2 years and I was treated like a big bag of shit everywhere I was (including by "cops") besides the places I knew I could go without problems. Minorities will always be persecuted and discriminated and any kid having to go through this all his life will naturally react adversely, much more in what some consider a somewhat developed country like usa (instead of the shitholes I was, where I expected nothing less). Tribalism doesn't naturally disappear. Riots don't really concern me, they are obviously an awful collateral, but we never really achieve changes without violence, either it's called blm or the yellow vests (just to mention two recent ones, and if you support one and not the other, you're just hypocritical)

Focusing on police brutality is a big mistake and an irrelevant issue that is easily tackled, easier than teaching everyone to drive well to stop getting killed on the road. Minorities are fucked because of wealth inequality, and their inability to have transferred wealth through past generations and that will, always, leave them at disadvantage over others. Sadly, there isn't an easy solution to it, besides tackling the accessibility issue (as in, mitigating the obstacles that exist to help every kid to get a fair chance to succeed in life, which is something I actually dedicate a part of my life). The weight of poverty doesn't pick races, and if you think it does, you most certainly never been in contact with it.

Firing people because of facebook political posts is pure fascism tho. Either that person his convicted of something in the eyes of the law or you're just discriminating based on weird ass parameters. Free market tho, so a lot of conservatives complaining over this garbage contributed to build these mechanisms, as well as an absurd mistake some left has been grooming in the last 20 years since communist parties lost strength in the eu-nordic green left to form the new party of european left, where labor issues and monetary policies became a secondary issue (because the left lost the power to rule) and dedicated itself to more humanistic and ethical principles, leading to this growing populism of patrolling speech.

Conservatives should know better by now to not post their political opinions on social media. They deservedly get fired every time! Boo YEAH!

mortal

Gold Member
Was Floyd a hero? No
Does he deserve a statue? No
Was he a convicted felon? Yes
Did the police officer need to kill him by standing on his neck for nearly 9 min? No
Should the police officer go to jail and pay for his crime? Yes

My 2 cents.
100% That's pretty much it.

The issue is that you will be crucified just for expressing the first three points, even though you also believe that last two points.
That's the fucking problem. People wanting your livelihood stripped form you and your reputation tarnished for just being honest,
and made out to be something that you're not for your honesty.

Last edited:

Gavon West

So you want ideological conformity? Collectivist thinking.

The difference is I think you should be free to say whatever you want and the only consequence should be that I stop hanging around you if I don‘t want to hear it. I don’t want you to lose your job or be hurt. Words are just that. If you can’t speak, you can’t think; if you can’t think, you can‘t grow or change your mind. We work things out by speaking to others.
You realize my guy was let go exactly because of what you say in your own post, right? He can speak whatever he wants. The company doesnt have to listen to it or be affiliated with what he said if they dont want to. only difference here is that an entire company disagrees with his tweet. Not just one person. So they stepped back and allowed him to keep his opinion.

Gavon West

I'm not going to get into a long winded post in response to this but.......I see you broski.

George Floyd's history might explain some of police treatment, thought doesn't excuse them from brutality. Don't think Johnson deserves job loss, even if insensitive. Free speech issue. Not much more to say there.

However, people are more than their crimes/checkered pasts. Reducing Floyd to simple label like "criminal" is dehumanizing and the game of progressive activists. Clearly he had turned his life around based on his record, to what extent we don't know. Maybe he still gets high from time to time, and still struggles. Maybe he isn't a good dad. So what, does that mean he deserved to die over a $20 bill? How can we pass judgement over life and death so hastily?

Johnson's image was inflammatory, but factual until the last sentence which I take issue with: "Getting ready to drive a car and possibly kill your kid". That's hilarious fearmongering, justifying Floyd's death over something imaginary that he wasn't about to do.

Gavon West

The issue is that you will be crucified just for expressing the first three points, even though you also believe that last two points.
That's the fucking problem. People wanting your livelihood stripped form you and your reputation tarnished for just being honest,
Nah, bruh. That's not what Ron was doing.

At the end of his tweet, he essentially said "it's good this man died" based on some hypothetical, fan fiction BS about killing somone's kid in some alternate universe. He's a buphoon and rightly got canned for it. The last part of his tweet made void everything he was attempting to do. Nevermind the fact that Floyd;s past has been stated ad nauseum. Never mind that no one is making him into a martyr (despite what some are claiming). He's an example of the last straw, only he had to die needlessly to do it.

Last edited:

Umbral

You realize my guy was let go exactly because of what you say in your own post, right? He can speak whatever he wants. The company doesnt have to listen to it or be affiliated with what he said if they dont want to. only difference here is that an entire company disagrees with his tweet. Not just one person. So they stepped back and allowed him to keep his opinion.

”I don’t want you to lose your job…”

I think you deliberately skipped over that part of what I said.

You don’t know that the entire company disagreed with his tweet because a company is made up of individuals. The only way you would know is to ask every single one of them and I‘m willing to bet that any people that either agreed with it or don‘t care about it won’t tell you because they don’t want to lose their job too.

Gavon West

Without Police things will only get worse. (Think Purge movies)
As the saying goes we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

They need reformed not removed.
We need community responders trained and vetted to deescalate situations in communities all over the country. Only call cops if pure life is in danger. If cops are found over policing or killing an individual needlessly, they should be convicted just as a civilian would. No protection from Unions. As it stands now, police ultimately have a license to kill with impunity. Thats beyond ridiculous.

Gavon West

I think you deliberately skipped over that part of what I said.

You don’t know that the entire company disagreed with his tweet because a company is made up of individuals. The only way you would know is to ask every single one of them and I‘m willing to bet that any people that either agreed with it or don‘t care about it won’t tell you because they don’t want to lose their job too.
So.....you're saying they agree? Because if they dont want to speak out - even if they disagree - they agree.

I didnt deliberately skip over anything. My point is, Ron should've kept his mouth shut. The company has every right to distance themselves from him while allowing him to keep his opinion if they dont agree with it. As an entity, they did the right thing.

I'm glad Ron said what he said. He ousted himself. I have more respect for an honest racist than a closet racist. Its one thing to be a bigot. Its something else entirely to be a bigot and a coward.

bender

What time is it?

Just take point three and apply it to the Derek Chavin. Look back at what he has done as a police officer. Hell, forget about him killing George Floyd. Is that the type of person you want to invest in to police your community? Then zoom out and ask why he wasn't removed from his duties much, much sooner. That's why we should not treat George Floyd as an isolated incident or we are going to be re-hashing the same conversation again in a few months.

Last edited:

samporter

Banned
There are many people who are emotionally invested with this George Floyd, perhaps because they have similiar characteristics as him, that they are willing to forego reason and logic to desperately appeal to emotions. These people won't win over anyone reasonable, especially when reasonable individuals can look up the facts easily, so they instead resort to shutting down opinions then throw out "racist" labels.

There cannot be an honest discussion about the issue(systematic descrimination by law enforcement) if the intellectually dishonest are willing to ignore any facts that run counter to their empty rhetoric/feelings. Accusation like "murder" are thrown around without any regard/understanding of its legal definition.

Umbral

So.....you're saying they agree? Because if they dont want to speak out - even if they disagree - they agree.

I didnt deliberately skip over anything. My point is, Ron should've kept his mouth shut. The company has every right to distance themselves from him while allowing him to keep his opinion if they dont agree with it. As an entity, they did the right thing.

I'm glad Ron said what he said. He ousted himself. I have more respect for an honest racist than a closet racist. Its one thing to be a bigot. Its something else entirely to be a bigot and a coward.

Noted.

Now, I don’t want to hear a word out of you when the thought police come for you. It never stops with one thing.

Much love to everyone, but I have spent too much of my time in here. Be reasonable and be kind.

kiphalfton

There are many people who are emotionally invested with this George Floyd, perhaps because they have similiar characteristics as him, that they are willing to forego reason and logic to desperately appeal to emotions. These people won't win over anyone reasonable, especially when reasonable individuals can look up the facts easily, so they instead resort to shutting down opinions then throw out "racist" labels.

There cannot be an honest discussion about the issue(systematic descrimination by law enforcement) if the intellectually dishonest are willing to ignore any facts that run counter to their empty rhetoric/feelings. Accusation like "murder" are thrown around without any regard/understanding of its legal definition.

Pretty much. I mean how are people interpreting "he's no saint" as "he deserved to die"?

Last edited:

EDMIX

This 100000%

Not saying he should be made to be a saint as I'd argue MOST are not saying that even remotely, simply that his character is not on trial.

Could you imagine if a police officer saved someone's life and folks are like "oh but lets just point out that the officer got a DUI 13 years ago, beat his wife, robbed a store bro" etc. Its not saying those things didn't happen, its questioning when on earth did this turn into a popularity contest as the main point of the protest?

So this whole character assassination thing is disrespectful as shit and only done to try to support or give excuses for obvious police brutality.

Obviously an extremely divisive topic, but regardless of who Floyd was as a person he was clearly the victim of a needless crime committed by an asshole with a violent history against people of different ethnicities. That being said these buffoons taking to social media trying to be social justice warriors and putting their careers on the line because they just can't keep their opinion to themselves is just baffling. You open your mouth on the topic, you had best be willing to defend your point, and in today's social climate you better do it with tact.

Top Bottom