• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai interview - new PS3 controller hints, more features beyond rumble..?

LJ11

Draft said:
I would personally like to see analog sticks with independent rumble. As analog sticks most often represent the most direct control method of the game character, like moving around or aiming a weapon, some sort of tactile feedback from that input could be pretty cool. Like if you were moving through quicksand, the left analog could kind of push "against" whatever direction you're going in, of if you were firing a machine gun, the right analog stick could "bump bump bump" up to simulate the recoil.

That's a really good idea.

Really is this "copying" thing needed people?

Going to have to agree there. It’s a bit too much for a controller. For christ sake, who in their right mind would pay $80 for just a controller.

I’m a PS3 owner, and if they did bring a controller out like that I can say that I definately wouldn’t bother buying it.

They are trying too hard to gain ground on the 360 if they are resorting to ridiculous ideas like that.

<3 Gaming Insider:lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ranger X said:
I sure hope it wouldn't mean i'd have to mind where my thumb is leaning to. That would be a ****ing nightmare. I only want to press a button god damnit.

Software could be sensitive or insensitive to the direction of pressure. But where software is made to be sensitive to the direction in which pressure is applied, that might only be less of a nightmare than worrying where an analog stick is when hitting a button simultaneously, for example. If that kind of button was effective, it could reduce some stick+button complexity to just single-button complexity.

I don't know though. A lot would depend on implementation and 'feel'.

gcubed

Teen Ape said:
in that we started out with the original PS1 controller with no analogue, and it's come all the way to this point

It has come along way, it started with them copying the SNES controller, to adding the N64's joystick and rumble, to tossing in the Wii's motion control. The amount of progress is staggering.

damn juniors... oh... wait...

Anyway, Sony wouldnt release a new controller with on off rumble. They could have had that done and delivered already after the patent. The 3 axis buttons seem complicated to implement, but seem like a neat idea as long as they are correctly used and the controller is correctly designed to get the use out of them. Ultimately, fix the triggers, add the "new" rumble, and i'm happy.

I'm curious to see what we will see at TGS, if they will indeed release the new controller

Teen Ape

From my experience with the PS3 and PS2 controllers is that the joystick layout seems awkward, just doesnt seem right when my thumb is at an angle but the on screen movement is straightforward. Plus like many have said the triggers need to be redone. Any other kind of modification they're going to be making, hopefully its something that's applicable to every game and not genre/game mechanic specific like the Sixaxis motion sensing.

And I'm just poking fun at the guys statement, the 360 controller sure has come along way since the Dreamcast days as well eh guys?

The Jer

gofreak said:
Software could be sensitive or insensitive to the direction of pressure. But where software is made to be sensitive to the direction in which pressure is applied, that might only be less of a nightmare than worrying where an analog stick is when hitting a button simultaneously, for example. If that kind of button was effective, it could reduce some stick+button complexity to just single-button complexity.

I don't know though. A lot would depend on implementation and 'feel'.

Agreed.

And not every game uses the pressure sensitivity capabilities that are available now. I'd bet most games wouldn't use this. But, if done right, it could work well for many games.

justjohn

Teen Ape said:
in that we started out with the original PS1 controller with no analogue, and it's come all the way to this point

It has come along way, it started with them copying the SNES controller, to adding the N64's joystick and rumble, to tossing in the Wii's motion control. The amount of progress is staggering.
4pv20bc.gif

An expensive top-end controller, eh?

Interesting, in the light of Kaz's comments on the motion/rumble/Immersion issue in Kikizo's previous interview:

"The issue is trying to isolate the vibration feature from the motion sensors," he said. "Is it technically feasible? Absolutely. But the balancing act that you need to do, is to be able to present the controller to the consumer at an affordable price. We have one controller in the box, but many consumers will want to go out and get an extra controller. To isolate the vibration from the sensing, if that means that the controllers are going to be so expensive, then we're doing the consumer a huge disservice."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Teasel said:

Interestingly, the same patent I culled that 3-axis button stuff from talks about using sensors, either in a pad or in your shoes, to measure weight distribution etc. as an aid to fitness software. Before anyone says anything, it's nearly a year since the patent was filed ;)

maybe they should have come out with the right mix of features on the controller when they launched the console.

just a thought.

Teen Ape

meltpotato said:
maybe they should have come out with the right mix of features on the controller when they launched the console.

just a thought.

Thats a last gen type of mind set, this is next gen!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
M3wThr33 said:
I've said since the start, they need some other trivial bulletpoint along with rumble to make it worth it.

TOUCHSENSE!

**** guys you are making it harder than it is. They are obviously talking about touchsense.

tanod

when is my burrito
Touch Sense is all I'm figuring they'll add which isn't "rumble" as most people would define it.

Mrbob

I think one of the problems Sony has with the PS3 was staying with the Playstation legacy. They didn't want to have a controller that would alienate PS2 and PS1 owners.

Having said this, with the success of the Wii, perhaps Sony has now given their team the go ahead to go batshit crazy with the new controller design. As people have responded well to a new controller scheme. What Sony has in store, I have no idea, but I bet it'll still retain the legacy features of the SixAxis while adding some new things.

Madman

Teen Ape said:

Quality junior posting at it's finest.

Crisis

Banned
Teen Ape said:

wii.jpg

OMG Wii stands vertically!

250px-SCPH-30000_vertical.jpg

SONY INVENTED HOME ELECTRONICS STANDING VERTICALLY. NINTENDO R THEIVES!!!!111

Seriously junior, give it a rest.

Teen Ape

Give it a rest...I just put the one sarcastic post, its everyone else feeling obliged to respond not letting it "rest".

Madman

Teen Ape said:
And your contribution to society is...?

(I had to do it)
It's "And your contribution to society is...what?"

You are on a roll with all of your accurate information.

dabig2

Well, we definitely know something is coming so I'm game for whatever they decide to pack into it. I'm fine with the possibility of touchsense as it is. More is bonus.

Haunted

gofreak said:
Here's one guess, from out of a relatively recent SCE patent - a new type of button.

[0047] An embodiment of the invention includes a new class of button style inputs for use in hand based video game input devices which leverages existing technology to detect 3 axis of pressure sensitivity. These buttons would be used in place of or in conjunction with in place of the traditional action buttons (i.e., .DELTA. .quadrature. OX) on device such as the Wavebird, Dualshock 1&2 and the X-Box controller which are either only digital or 1 axis analog sensors. These sensors are static NOBS which can recognize analog pressure from left and right (x.sub.1-x) forward and back (y.sub.1-y) up and down (z, -z). This leads to robust analog input in three axes.

[0048] Current digital buttons are severely limited input mechanisms and the single axis analog buttons are underutilized (most users are unaware of this functionality) and they don't have enough fidelity to impart subtle control. Thus when possible, people tend to use analog sticks. As a result, with single axis buttons, most gameplay skews to full pressure being best pressure, at which point the buttons might as well be digital, rather than analog, input devices. Three axis of analog control would allow for complex input even with poor fidelity.

[0049] Imagine a tennis game: digital button-only imports if user swings or not, single axis analog--allows for one type of swing with varying levels of power, 3 axis analog--allows for swing strength, for all swing types and at least 4 additional controls to be used for spin (English) or stroke type (forehand, backhand, lob, spike).
The argument for 3 axis buttons (over single analog or digital) is directly analogues to the argument for analog sticks over "D-Pad."

[0050] To implement these new "buttons" apply existing technology from aerospace. Replace current action buttons and provide appropriate drivers to allow developers to leverage up to 3 axis of control. Would suggest visually differentiating from current family of gamepad buttons so it doesn't suffer from user oversight as current analog buttons have.
Every button gets 3 additional uses?

20070608.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
how about a 'stable wireless connection' feature. as seen on the 360 pad. i just keep my sixaxis plugged in when i'm playing games. which is annoying

Teen Ape said:
Give it a rest...I just put the one sarcastic post, its everyone else feeling obliged to respond not letting it "rest".

:lol so now it's sarcasm! Sarcasm so strong every Sarcasm Detector™ in this thread collectively broke! Congrats, boyo! :D

MercuryLS

Banned
I hope they put in a headset port and bundle in a wired headset with every machine.

It's annoying playing online games on PSN when very few people use headsets.

xaosslug

TheJollyCorner said:
:lol so now it's sarcasm! Sarcasm so strong every Sarcasm Detector™ in this thread collectively broke! Congrats, boyo! :D
'sarcasm, helping message board posters backpedal on bone-head statements since the early 90's'

lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
MercuryLS said:
I hope they put in a headset port and bundle in a wired headset with every machine.

It's annoying playing online games on PSN when very few people use headsets.

actually i like it because the people you should play with have headsets already. less occurances of douchebags

Teen Ape

TheJollyCorner said:
Shit happens, things break. Ask Peter Moore, he'll tell you all about it.

Cygnus X-1

laserbeam said:
Sony_Revolution2.jpg

Its coming true!!!

Just kidding but seriously I could see them expanding on th emotion aspects to try and deflate Wii a bit

I know you're joking, but I don't think this possibility is SO remote. We all remember the rumble pack, the analog joystick, the wireless and the Sixaxis.
It is possible for me.

Top Bottom