• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai interview - new PS3 controller hints, more features beyond rumble..?

Teen Ape said:
in that we started out with the original PS1 controller with no analogue, and it's come all the way to this point

It has come along way, it started with them copying the SNES controller, to adding the N64's joystick and rumble, to tossing in the Wii's motion control. The amount of progress is staggering.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm pretty sick of Sony's self back-patting. The quote about the controller evolving made me think of when they said the PS1 invented 3D graphics... I guess they never played Continuum... or even Battlezone for frigz sakes. Vector or not it was still 3D!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
useless without orange port.

also useless if 90% of the user base already has a controller without touch screen (really wtf)

Xzbeat

Crisis said:
wii.jpg

OMG Wii stands vertically!

250px-SCPH-30000_vertical.jpg

SONY INVENTED HOME ELECTRONICS STANDING VERTICALLY. NINTENDO R THEIVES!!!!111

Seriously junior, give it a rest.
atarivsps2.jpg

Sony Playstation 2 or Atari Microbox?

Sony invented a lot of things but they're also famous for copying their competitors.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
this is frightening. It looks nearly the same, I said wow.

edit also: well played =)

Xzbeat said:
atarivsps2.jpg

Sony invented a lot of things but they're also famous for copying their competitors.
Just like everyone else. Can we drop this already guys? I mean obviously since Sony and Philips invented the compact disc which led to the PSX, PS2, GC, XBX and a million other things then they all copied as well.

Give it a break. I hear your point though.

OMGGGG
280px-Mini_CD_vs_Normal_CD_comparison.jpg

Xzbeat said:
atarivsps2.jpg

"I have no qualms about people influenced by my ideas; as long as it's a marked improvement on the design. This is the philosophy and one which I adhere to" - Enzo Ferrari.

Xzbeat said:
atarivsps2.jpg

so is EVERY other company in the world. Microsoft OS takes from Apple and Linux and innovates very little. So whats your point? This is just pointless dribble.

Xzbeat

Mustaphadamus said:
so is EVERY other company in the world. Microsoft OS takes from Apple and Linux and innovates very little. So whats your point? This is just pointless dribble.
Can you show me where I said Sony were the only one copying their competitors?

My point was that they could totally implement a speaker in their controller or even release their own version of the wiimote. Nintendo showed them that people liked waggle controls.
And Sony already showed us with the DualShock that they can be succesful if they release a better version even if they were not first.

So um, did anyone find the rest of this interview interesting? All this thread has been about is the controller. What about the comments on Kutaragi... his plans for SCEI versus the regional HQs... etc

Elsewhere in the interview, Kaz revealed that he will be giving the regional headquarters of the company such as SCEA and SCEE more autonomy, having come from the top of the North American arm into the new top spot at SCEI. "Now that I'm on the headquarters side, I think I am better able to modulate what kind of decisions need to made on the Tokyo side, and what kind of decisions are best left for the RHQs to make, without Tokyo intervention."

"They understand their market a lot better than anybody in Tokyo. And they're professionals at what they do. So I want to give the RHQs more autonomy, to come to decisions, make recommendations." But he stressed: "That doesn't mean just handing everything over!"

Hirai, who now works out of the Tokyo HQ and travels back to see his family every month in SCEA's home territory of Foster City, California, also discussed the controversial resignation of 'Father of PlayStation' Ken Kutaragi for the first time. "He is still full of a lot of different ideas, some of which we just can't do in a Sony Computer Entertainment environment," he told us.

Kaz said that once in a while he still approaches Ken for advice though, and seemed certain we can still expect big things from Kutaragi-san: "He's working on some of his dreams. I'm keeping a close eye on him, because he has some great ideas which I know are going to be the next big thing."

He added: "I think in a corporate environment, you can only do so much."

Elsewhere in our second exclusive interview with Kaz, the boss discusses other interesting topics such as surviving in the company's current tough market position, reducing the manufacturing cost of PS3, and the best upcoming software for PlayStation fans.

karasu

DarkJediKnight said:
SCEE_PS3_controller___tif_jpgcopy.jpg

IMO, still the best looking controller. If they just rounded it out to give it a next-gen look, it'd be cool.

Me too. That thing is sexy.

I don't get all of this "Sony stole from Nintendo!!?1&!$' crud. So what if Nintendo is gaming's big brother. It sounds like Sony was simply influenced by new design trends just like every other company in any other industry on the face of the planet. It doesn't matter, not one bit, if they invented analog sticks or whatever the ****. What's important is that they saw that it was good, and they implemented them. That is only to every gamer's benefit. That's how industries typically progress. :/

Though I hope they don't add something as idiotic as a speaker. That would only get drowned out by the seven other speakers in the room.

Xzbeat said:
Can you show me where I said Sony were the only one copying their competitors?

My point was that they could totally implement a speaker in their controller or even release their own version of the wiimote. Nintendo showed them that people liked waggle controls.
And Sony already showed us with the DualShock that they can be succesful if they release a better version even if they were not first.
oh, sorry for jumping on you. This is neo gaf dude :S

Anyway yeah I would rather have my nails pulled out one by one than see some wii mote thing on the ps3. If I wanted to get a arm work out I will hit the gym.

Station42

davepoobond said:
i think i know what its gonna look like:

newps3controller.jpg

and you can flip it around to use the buttons under it

self levitation! :lol :lol ...improve "auto dusting" of itself and ps3, and it's perfect!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I love the sixaxis, rumble is welcome and surprises too, if they do make a banana controller please put it out in sixaxis shape too.

Top Bottom