• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai interview - new PS3 controller hints, more features beyond rumble..?

Tobor

Just try something different already Sony. You don't see other companies releasing an unchanged consumer electronic design for over a decade, do you?

Grumble grumble, hated the design since PS1, grumble.

Mrbob

drohne said:
how about a 'stable wireless connection' feature. as seen on the 360 pad. i just keep my sixaxis plugged in when i'm playing games. which is annoying

I would like the ability to have this feature as well and will subscribe to your newsletter for further updates on the topic.

4ly7mnt.jpg

OMG! Nintendo even had GUITAR HERO stolen from them!

Pharmacy

Banned
I was thinking about LEDs that are placed around the controller so when you get hit or shot in the game etc, they light up according to how bad the hit was (multicolour LEDs, green being a soft hit, red being hard etc), with the rumble going off accordingly.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Pharmacy said:
I was thinking about LEDs that are placed around the controller so when you get hit or shot in the game etc, they light up according to how bad the hit was (multicolour LEDs, green being a soft hit, red being hard etc), with the rumble going off accordingly.

That'd be cool looking. But I don't think it's a good idea to have anything that might distract you from looking at the screen.

From wiki:

In 1995, Sony (realizing that analog technology could be useful) created a potentiometer-based analog joystick for use in Flight-Simulation games. The Sony Dual Analog FlightStick featured twin analog sticks and was used in games such as "Descent" to provide a much greater degree of freedom than the typical digital joysticks of the day.

In 1996 Nintendo introduced a modern analog stick called a control stick on their Nintendo 64 controller. Unlike the D-pad, the control stick allowed for varying levels of pressure and 360-degree control, translating into more precise movements in games such as Super Mario 64. (Incidentally, Super Mario 64 DS was criticized by some for imprecise control due to lack of an analog stick on the Nintendo DS.)

nintendo was beaten to analog control by Sony by a full year, and By Atari by around a decade (though atari's sticks werent implemented well.)

give it a rest, juniors.

Edit: Forgot about the Vectrex, too. That console DID come standard with a self centering analog joystick in the early 80s that beat the crap out of the atari 5200's implementation.

Mrbob

I hope all Sony games and 3rd party games are being built with touchsense in mind right now.

I don't want to wait till next year to get the benefit.

Next gen Star Wars on PS3 is going to be awesome with the Touchsense Sixaxis controller.

I can see Ratchet and Clank being very cool with the device too. Hopefully Insomniac has had time to implement this into the game.

Zer0

Banned
Teen Ape said:
in that we started out with the original PS1 controller with no analogue, and it's come all the way to this point

It has come along way, it started with them copying the SNES controller, to adding the N64's joystick and rumble, to tossing in the Wii's motion control. The amount of progress is staggering.

yup.they copied the dual analog and the use of memory cards from nintendo too....

PS360

Banned
Everyone saw the tidbit on DiRT PS3....that apparently it was going to feature rumble?

Makes me think this controller is coming out much sooner than expected.

Manmademan said:
From wiki:

nintendo was beaten to analog control by Sony by a full year, and By Atari by around a decade (though atari's sticks werent implemented well.)

give it a rest, juniors.

Edit: Forgot about the Vectrex, too. That console DID come standard with a self centering analog joystick in the early 80s that beat the crap out of the atari 5200's implementation.

I was one of the few people that actually liked the 5200 joystick, never really understood why so many people had problems with it. Loved playing Pole Position with that stick. Now, those friggen rubber fire buttons on the controller, those were a piece of shit pain in the ass.

Mrbob

PS360 said:
Everyone saw the tidbit on DiRT PS3....that apparently it was going to feature rumble?

Makes me think this controller is coming out much sooner than expected.

The current rumor is the controller is going to hit in September, but if Sony announces it at TGS I have a hard time believing it'll be out by then.

I'm guessing it'll be shown next month at Leipzig, and then released in Sept.

I just want to know what kind of rumble Sony is using. If it is regular dual shock it will be sad face time, but if it is Touchsense it will be happy dance time.

im calling it now, force feedback on the right or both analog sticks, imagine how cool it would be when the analog stick has resistance or pushes back when you are trying to make a sharp turn.

I just noticed Draft has generally the same idea, it needs to be done.

Mrbob

Linkzg said:
im calling it now, force feedback on the right or both analog sticks, imagine how cool it would be when the analog stick has resistance or pushes back when you are trying to make a sharp turn.

I never really thought about this before, but now that you and Draft have come up with options like this I would like to see it implimented.

I really would like to see a new way of rumble implemented. What is currently available does not cut it anymore. When Sony called rumble last gen, I completely agreed. It's the same thing we have had for over 10 years now, and no one has come up with a more immersive implementation.

Linkzg said:

I just noticed Draft has generally the same idea, it needs to be done.
yeah thats called haptic,

check this out

link

Mrbob said:
Looks cool, but a bit bulky.
yeah it is, i was just showing the technology that someone else was talking about (haptic) where you can get tactile force feedback. It would be cool if they could shrink that tech down into the sixaxis analog sticks. I would take that over regular rumble any day.

arias

Banned
Mustaphadamus said:
yeah it is, i was just showing the technology that someone else was talking about (haptic) where you can get tactile force feedback. It would be cool if they could shrink that tech down into the sixaxis analog sticks. I would take that over regular rumble any day.

My guess is that it's not going to happen. Force feedback technology now still uses lots of space. Shrinking it down will take ages, and there's still the massive, massive problem of moving parts that will break down.

Mrbob

Yeah it seems Touchsense will be as good as it gets for awhile. Which would be enough to keep me happy after everything I have read on it.

Angelcurio

I really hope they announce the new controller soon. I have avoided buying a second sixaxis controller just waiting for them to announce the new controllers with rumble.

CamHostage

Wow, I actually thought all the rumble inclusion rumors were mostly just bloggers assuming that 1+1=3 when the Immersion lawsuit was cleared up. I figured there'd be some kind of rumble brought to PS3, and it'd be maybe sanctioned (like Sony would come up with the protocol for rumble once a partner began either selling rumble pads or else a rumble USB add-on), but I didn't really think Sony would seek to add it in officially.

AndyMoogle said:
Wow, some people are really touchy about how Sony copies stuff.
Sony fans touchy about Sony copying and Nintendo and MS fans in denial about how those companies do the exact same ish. Crazy, innit?!

Mustaphadamus said:
Sony fans touchy about Sony copying and Nintendo and MS fans in denial about how those companies do the exact same ish. Crazy, innit?!
Except MS and Nintendo are usually not so obvious.

AndyMoogle said:
Except MS and Nintendo are usually not so obvious.
really?

You have a point. The new device that MS came out with that is a EXACT copy of the sony controller that came out some years before isn't obvious? Or how the dreamcast controller and the xbox controller isn't to far off from one another minus the little slot for the LCD memory card thing the DC had? Or what about the dreamcasts online offering that MS took and perfected. Or how Sony came out with analog sticks before the Nintendo introduced theirs. Man you are in denial or being sarcastic.

Cygnus X-1 said:
I know you're joking, but I don't think this possibility is SO remote. We all remember the rumble pack, the analog joystick, the wireless and the Sixaxis.
It is possible for me.
Sony already had a 'mote last gen!!
PS2_remote_controller.jpg

I love these kinds of jokes.

Mustaphadamus said:
really?

You have a point. The new device that MS came out with that is a EXACT copy of the sony controller that came out some years before isn't obvious? Or how the dreamcast controller and the xbox controller isn't to far off from one another minus the little slot for the LCD memory card thing the DC had? Or what about the dreamcasts online offering that MS took and perfected. Or how Sony came out with analog sticks before the Nintendo introduced theirs. Man you are in denial or being sarcastic.
:lol

Top Bottom