• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz: PSVR will have over 100 titles

Shenmue

Banned
it's not gonna be cheap that's for sure but sony has a little advantage over the oculus, sony will get a cut of every VR game sold, while oculus obviously doesn't get anything and live on the hardware sales

yes i know i'm being delusional

Yeah they will get a cut of every VR game, but the volume of VR games actually sold will be tiny compared to a traditional game. I don't think they can really count on software royalties.

AlucardGV

Banned
What about that processing box? I'm thinking $400.

processing box isn't really processing anythin iirc, it's all done on the ps4. i'm not sure what it does, but i don't think it's gonna have a big impact on the price

Yeah they will get a cut of every VR game, but the volume of VR games actually sold will be tiny compared to a traditional game. I don't think they can really count on software royalties.

and that's why with a lower price they will sell more deviced and more games
yeah not gonna happen, but let me be optimistic

CYIoqoMWQAUDAR_.png

From Zhuge's twitter account, and yes, it's nothing official, obviously.

Sky Saw

Banned
processing box isn't really processing anythin iirc, it's all done on the ps4. i'm not sure what it does, but i don't think it's gonna have a big impact on the price

Seriously? That gives me even less hope for PSVR. It needs extra juice badly.

AlucardGV

Banned
Seriously? That gives me even less hope for PSVR. It needs extra juice badly.

we don't know anything officially but eurogamer wrote an article about it
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-vr-external-processor-revealed

This is all conjecture for now but there's certainly very strong evidence beyond the basic dimensions to suggest that the external box has a reasonable level of processing power. We can confirm that the current hardware is actively cooled, meaning that the chip inside is powerful enough to require assistance with heat dissipation.

However, despite the active cooling, we shouldn't expect too much from the external processor - core graphics rendering for VR all takes place within the PlayStation 4 hardware itself and it's going to be down to developers to work within existing limitations to get the best results. But from our perspective, the idea of computationally expensive, latency-sensitive tasks being offloaded to the external box is a good one, and should produce a better overall experience.

The fuck is this?
Placeholder.....i hope

Sky Saw

Banned
we don't know anything officially but eurogamer wrote an article about it
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-vr-external-processor-revealed

Will give this a read thanks.

No it doesn't. The system is perfectly capable of VR in its current form.

Yes but graphics are going to take a big hit, I'd love to play GT Sport or 7 in VR, but there's no way in hell it wouldn't look a mess with the current specs.

High IQ and refresh rates are very important in VR, not sure this will be able to pull it off without some extra grunt. At least with AAA games.

Robert807

I have a bad feeling game publisher are going to raise the prices of vr games. I can see it know how they will market it. Get the best possible experience on vr.

Nafai1123

Banned

Yes but graphics are going to take a big hit, I'd love to play GT Sport or 7 in VR, but there's no way in hell it wouldn't look a mess with the current specs.

As someone who actually got to try PSVR, that is just not correct.

EBreda

499 pretty sure.
100 games at launch? First year? Second? Until support is dropped?
Not very specific. Hopefully there will be a killer app, but I doubt that's enough.

driver116

it could be. but they'd have to accept they would be making a PS3-like loss for the sake of market share and in the hopes they make it back via software. it could be, but i'm expecting something more along the lines of $400

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a gutted Vita with bigger screen. It could cost them <$200 to make.

The immersion is the paradigm shift. Or specifically 'presence' in which your response to virtual reality is the same as if it was real, trying to put down a virtual gun on a virtual table, and dropping the PSMove controller, being a well-known example.
Yep. For me the game that got me most in this way is Dead Secret for the Gear VR. While moving around a house trying to solve a murder mystery I found myself leaning and crouching as my character moved through tight spaces in the basement and attic crawlspaces. My brain was really tricked into believing I was in that space, at least momentarily. As the technology improves so will the feeling of being there and people really need to try VR to see it/feel it for themselves.

well you tried vr demo i guess. a whole game is probably a little different

Don't expect huge single player campaign titles or anything remotely resembling open world in VR (unless its voxels) for the first year or two. There will be some, but environments will almost certainly be confined to ones suited for low lod. Point being, assets on those demos will probably carry over to more full fledged games.

I mean look at the Rift launch title Eve Valkyrie, these assets are in line to suit the 970 requirement. The environments for dogfights aren't that large either. Expectations need to be kept in check for fidelity of assets for vr in general right now, not just on psvr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtBUkmHS0w

Nafai1123

Banned
Silly comments.
How 'big' were the levels you played / field depth etc?

Depends on the game. RIGS/Eve:Valkyrie (the most visually impressive BTW) were basically full game demos. RIGS was a 3v3 MP demo of their main mode. The Eve: Valkyrie demo was the singleplayer one they demoed in the past, but they also had a huge MP station set up for like 12+ people. Unfortunately, the line to get into that one was over 2 hours long at PSX.

Office simulator takes place in a cubicle and Wayward Sky is pretty hard to explain (mix of 3rd person for navigation + 1st person for puzzle elements).

Kama_1082

Banned
How will VR work with Twitch, Ustream and YouTube? will you be able to live stream what you are actually seeing threw the headset to viewers and interact with them? Also will there be specific Netflx and other movie viewer content specifically for VR?
Maybe the VR push will cause them to get jobs.

I kid I kid

But I've always wondered how that's gonna work? Maybe an output to video?

High IQ and refresh rates are very important in VR, not sure this will be able to pull it off without some extra grunt. At least with AAA games.
What you lose in graphical fidelity you make up in presence (feeling like you're actually there). From all the impressions I've read Driveclub VR is extremely impressive even though it's scaled back from the regular game in some regards. I wouldn't be so dismissive.

Nafai1123

Banned
You can't see the difference between those games and AAAs? They already showed Driveclub scaled back and it wasn't pretty.

*sigh* you can say the exact same about ANY of the VR solutions coming out. Regardless of whether we're talking PC or PS4, you are sacrificing visual detail/quality for framerate/resolution. You ain't getting Witcher 3 graphics in VR on a 970.

The fact is the rendering overhead for OR with a 970 is comparable to PSVR relative to the power of the hardware, because you're reducing the rendering overhead from 2160×1200 to 1080p and your reducing the frame rate overhead from 90FPS to 60FPS.

Will games look better on OR or Vive? Of course, you're rendering them at a higher resolution and higher framerate.

Does that mean the PS4 is incapable of playing the same games? Absolutely not. I think it will basically be the same comparison we make today between multiplats (PS4 vs PC), except more in favor of the PS4 due to the hard-locked resolution/framerate requirements.

(BTW, my buddy got to try DriveclubVR, and while it's definitely paired back visually, he was still blown away while actually playing the game).

Piggus

You can't see the difference between those games and AAAs? They already showed Driveclub scaled back and it wasn't pretty.

Your brain really doesn't care about that in VR unless you're seeing something like aggressive LOD and pop-in. As long as your sense of immersion isn't being broken, crazy visual fidelity isn't all that important. Even Minecraft in VR is really cool and weirdly feels like you're there in that blocky world, even though the visuals are simple and unrealistic.

Sky Saw

Banned
*sigh* you can say the exact same about ANY of the VR solutions coming out. Regardless of whether we're talking PC or PS4, you are sacrificing visual detail/quality for framerate/resolution. You ain't getting Witcher 3 graphics in VR on a 970.

The fact is the rendering overhead for OR with a 970 is comparable to PSVR relative to the power of the hardware, because you're reducing the rendering overhead from 2160×1200 to 1080p and your reducing the frame rate overhead from 90FPS to 60FPS.

Will games look better on OR or Vive? Of course, you're rendering them at a higher resolution and higher framerate.

Does that mean the PS4 is incapable of playing the same games? Absolutely not. I think it will basically be the same comparison we make today between multiplats (PS4 vs PC), except more in favor of the PS4 due to the hard-locked resolution/framerate requirements.

(BTW, my buddy got to try DriveclubVR, and while it's definitely paired back visually, he was still blown away while actually playing the game).

No you can't because you can upgrade a PC. The extra power would have really helped the PS4 to not have to scale back so much, I'm bummed out it's not actual processing power. Yes you will be able to play the same games but they will look quite a lot worse, those jaguar cores just aren't up to the task. I expect massive downgrades in lods and IQ. Also I heard many people were blown away by the Driveclub demo, turns out for a lot of them it was their first VR experience.

Your brain really doesn't care about that in VR unless you're seeing something like aggressive LOD and pop-in. As long as your sense of immersion isn't being broken, crazy visual fidelity isn't all that important. Even Minecraft in VR is really cool and weirdly feels like you're there in that blocky world, even though the visuals are simple and unrealistic.

I speak from experience when I say IQ is super important in VR, and for games like The Witcher 3 to run on PSVR without extra processing power..well I dread to think of the cutbacks.

Piggus

No you can't because you can upgrade a PC. The extra power would have really helped the PS4 to not have to scale back so much, I'm bummed out it's not actual processing power. Yes you will be able to play the same games but they will look quite a lot worse, those jaguar cores just aren't up to the task. I expect massive downgrades in lods and IQ.

There will not be massive downgrades in IQ... It's one of the most important parts of VR and devs will focus on it almost as much as they focus on framerate. You'll see differences in lighting, detail, etc, but again your brain really doesn't care when you're actually in that environment.

Mifune

Mehmber

This has been my experience as well, and to me is one of the most exciting things about VR. Graphics, at least in the way we've come to know and appreciate them, don't matter anymore. I put the headset on and whatever is displayed, whether it's 8-bit or cartoony or Dali-inspired, becomes my world. Photorealism is boring.

I'm just waiting for the kojima productions VR sci fi mech horror game that you sit in a robo dick cockpit. Literally a cock pit! Seriously though maybe that's one of the reasons the next game is ps4 and PC only. If Sony is a major player in a budding industry maybe they will publish it to PC VR just to help VR catch on.

Sky Saw

Banned
This has been my experience as well, and to me is one of the most exciting things about VR. Graphics, at least in the way we've come to know and appreciate them, don't matter anymore. I put the headset on and whatever is displayed, whether it's 8-bit or cartoony or Dali-inspired, becomes my world.

This is true at first, but once the initial wow wears off you want more out of the graphics, like everything else.

There will not be massive downgrades in IQ... It's one of the most important parts of VR and devs will focus on it almost as much as they focus on framerate. You'll see differences in lighting, detail, etc, but again your brain really doesn't care when you're actually in that environment.

I hope you are right, but I don't see how they will have a game like The Witcher 3 running at 60fps AND super clean IQ with the same hardware. Also they showed Driveclub with horrible aliasing which doesn't bode well for the future.

Mifune

Mehmber
This is true at first, but once the initial wow wears off you want more out of the graphics, like everything else.

I hope you are right, but I don't see how they will have a game like The Witcher 3 running at 60fps AND super clean IQ with the same hardware. Also they showed Driveclub with horrible aliasing which doesn't bode well for the future.

We're not gonna see games like Witcher 3 on VR anytime soon.

Also I heard many people were blown away by the Driveclub demo, turns out for a lot of them it was their first VR experience.
Even if this was true, who cares? If it was impressive to them, it was impressive to them. You shouldn't discount someone's experience just to prove kind of point.

I speak from experience when I say IQ is super important in VR, and for games like The Witcher 3 to run on PSVR without extra processing power..well I dread to think of the cutbacks.
The purpose of VR isn't to repackage all the games you know and love like The Witcher into a new format. The purpose of VR is to put you into new places and have new experiences. Honestly I don't see how the Witcher would work in VR as it is, the world is so detailed I'm not sure any current VR solutions would do the graphics justice. It's not just a matter of the system that is rendering the graphics, it's also the resolution of the screen and the optics too.

I'm sure there will be sacrifices to make a game run on PSVR but it's not impossible. See this article from Eurogamer regarding their time with Driveclub VR prototype.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-28-driveclub-debuts-on-playstation-vr-and-its-mightily-impressive

Her is Pocket Lint's take on it. It looks plenty good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mSUWbIKbyI[/URL]

I tend to agree with this.

VR is the product of always "will be."

I just don't think it's ready yet.

You've got to start somewhere. Even the consoles are an evolving beast, continuing to improve through firmware updates. Games get better over the lifespan also. There needs to be a first generation so future iterations and software can improve.

TalonJH

I think some of the problem is that you are thinking that VR is the same game experience you normally have but with a screen on your face. It's not that.

Yes, some games will take a graphical hit but you won't care in most cases. Graphics don't need to be "realistic" or high in detail for VR to work. The two games that are bundled with OR are EVE:V and Lucky&#8217;s Tale https://youtu.be/jqEm1fXBWKg. When you are in VR, it feels like you are there if crafted well. Games like Lucky's Tale may not look impressive on a screen but in a VR headset, a game like Lucky's Tale feels like you're in a cartoon or dream.

Can a VR game benefit from more detail, etc? Of course. If you buy a PSVR and really like it. You can always set a goal of moving to a higher tier(Oculus, Vive, etc). It's a waste to compare a screenshot of a standard game with something in VR because there is a different sense of immersion.

As for scale, You are't going to get a huge open world game like Assassins Creed. Think more along the likes of PT, Shenmue, Resident Evil and cockpit games. VR isn't meant to take the place of other games. You'll have VR games and you'll have your Non-VR games. Best advice I can give is just "TRY IT"(a friend, kiosk at a store) and see if it hits for you. If it doesn't, thats fine. We'll still have AAA console games.

Nafai1123

Banned
No you can't because you can upgrade a PC. The extra power would have really helped the PS4 to not have to scale back so much, I'm bummed out it's not actual processing power. Yes you will be able to play the same games but they will look quite a lot worse, those jaguar cores just aren't up to the task. I expect massive downgrades in lods and IQ. Also I heard many people were blown away by the Driveclub demo, turns out for a lot of them it was their first VR experience.

You are completely missing the point. Look at this benchmark of The Witcher 3 at MEDIUM settings. A 980 (higher than the min reqs for OR) at 2560x1440 runs at an average of 62FPS with a low of 56FPS. That is unacceptable for OR. Push that up to high settings and you're looking at a average of 45FPS with a minimum of 21FPS. Completely unacceptable for VR. ALL VR content, regardless of whether it's on console or PC will be paired down visually. That's just what happens when you NEED to hit a min target of 90FPS at 2560x1440.

Now obviously PC specs will improve over the years, and I would expect the min requirements for certain VR games to get higher as well, but the fact is that right now, VR games aren't going to look the same as the "AAA" games you've come to expect....and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

Sky Saw

Banned
I think some of the problem is that you are thinking that VR is the same game experience you normally have but with a screen on your face. It's not that.

Yes, some games will take a graphical hit but you won't care in most cases. Graphics don't need to be "realistic" or high in detail for VR to work. The two games that are bundled with OR are EVE:V and Lucky&#8217;s Tale https://youtu.be/jqEm1fXBWKg. When you are in VR, it feels like you are there if crafted well. Games like Lucky's Tale may not look impressive on a screen but in a VR headset, a game like Lucky's Tale feels like you're in a cartoon or dream.

Can a VR game benefit from more detail, etc? Of course. If you buy a PSVR and really like it. You can always set a goal of moving to a higher tier(Oculus, Vive, etc). It's a waste to compare a screenshot of a standard game with something in VR because there is a different sense of immersion.

As for scale, You are't going to get a huge open world game like Assassins Creed. Think more along the likes of PT, Shenmue, Resident Evil and cockpit games. VR isn't meant to take the place of other games. You'll have VR games and you'll have your Non-VR games. Best advice I can give is just "TRY IT"(a friend, kiosk at a store) and see if it hits for you. If it doesn't, thats fine. We'll still have AAA console games.

I have tried VR quite a few times, my close friend owns a DK2. At first, anything blew my mind, even the sightline demo. But that stuff doesn't cut it anymore after trying Assetto Corsa those jump in graphics was insane and I wanted even more. I imagine playing a big open world game with super good IQ to be absolutely insane and it will totally be possible on PC with Pascal just around the corner.

You are completely missing the point. Look at this benchmark of The Witcher 3 at MEDIUM settings. A 980 (higher than the min reqs for OR) at 2560x1440 runs at an average of 62FPS with a low of 56FPS. That is unacceptable for OR. Push that up to high settings and you're looking at a average of 45FPS with a minimum of 21FPS. Completely unacceptable for VR. ALL VR content, regardless of whether it's on console or PC will be paired down visually. That's just what happens when you NEED to hit a min target of 90FPS at 2560x1440.

Now obviously PC specs will improve over the years, and I would expect the min requirements for certain VR games to get higher as well, but the fact is that right now, VR games aren't going to look the same as the "AAA" games you've come to expect....and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

First of all the Oculus rift is 2160×1200. Plus Pascal is this year which I think will be enough juice for these type of massive open world incredibly detailed games to run at that performance. I've tried Assetto Corsa in VR which to me looks as good as Project Cars and it was insane. I like those small indie VR experiences too but I much prefer the high graphical fidelity games.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

Love this point, and pretty much the exact experience I've had. It's such on odd sensation when you experience presence in a low fidelity environment.

Top Bottom