• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazunori Yamauchi tweets details about GT5 Spec II (free, 9-15th October)

Think we're getting enough info to justify a new thread.

UPDATE:

Official press release has been issued. Update is out on the 11th.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/10/05/gt5-functionality-update-2-0/

Hello Gran Turismo fans,
When Gran Turismo 5 launched almost a year ago now, Kazunori Yamauchi, the game’s creator, promised fans clutching their copies of the Real Driving Simulator, that the launch of the eagerly awaited title was not the end of the journey for the game but the start.
True to that statement, since GT5 launched Yamauchi-san and the Polyphony team have been closely monitoring the feedback of the dedicated and discerning GT5 community. As a result of this, we have seen significant support for GT5 in the form of regular functionality updates.
Today, I am very pleased to announce details of Functionality Update 2.0 which is the most sizable since the game launched. The update will be available for download on the 11th October. Of course the real bonus of all of this new content is the fact that it’s all absolutely free!
Here’s the rundown on what you can expect to see in the update.
Firstly all ‘standard’ cars will now feature an interior view, the level of detail will vary from car to car, but now for the first time you will be able to literally get behind the wheel of all the cars in the game.

Next is the great news that players can now save their progress during endurance races and return to the fray at a time of their own choosing.
For fans of the stateside motoring championship NASCAR, there is a package of 11 NASCAR 2011 cars. There has also been improvement to the weather settings in the game and now players can incrementally adjust weather settings for race start and race end.

Additional features of this update are:
Photo Travel Mode updates
Shortening of load times and improved menu response
Improved car physics simulation, further evolved A.I.
Improved and enhanced user interface
Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheels
New features in the Online Lounge

This is what series creator Kazunori Yamauchi had to say about the new content.
The coming Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2 update is an update that contains the feedback from the users playing GT5 online every day. We have added cars such as the newest NASCAR race cars, but many of the updates are those that improve usability and expand the field of game play. I believed from the initial release of Gran Turismo 5 that it would be the users that would make the game grow thereafter, and we added things like interior views for the standard models because there was a lot of request for it from our users. You could say that this update is the shape and form of GT5 that was created through the opinions of our fans.

Pictures:

(click for 1080p)

Also it's worth noting that all the gameplay shots have 16 cars grid with AI. Probably also something new with the update.

OLD POST
As the title says, the Spec II update will be free and will release between the 9th and 15th of this month. DLC (most likely not free) will follow soon after the update.

Kaz has been giving out info on what's gonna come with the update:

1. Simplified interior view added to all standard cars.
2. User control of the weather change feature.
3. Added a setting sheet feature allowing you to save multiple car settings...
4. Spec 2.0 Opening movie
5. Improved UI response and usability
6. Replay front forward/rewind
7. Mid-race save feature for endurance races.
8. Expanded online lounge features (Narrowing down car types, shuffle races)...
9. Expansion of the B-Spec remote race you can play from GT.com (a graph display now shows changes in race rankings.)
10. Expanded Photo travel features / You can now take photo’s of cars together with your avatar...
11. Added a “NASCAR Pit Scene” stage to Photo Travel
12. Added eleven 2011 model NASCAR cars...
13. Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Shulze Motor Sport
14. Improved physics and AI...
15. Support for the Logitec G25/G27 Steering wheel.

And info about the paid DLC:
@Kaz_Yamauchi: Something like this.
For the DLC we’re preparing a racing car pack, a course pack, and a racing gear pack... I’ll let you know more about that soon.

Kaz twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/kaz_yamauchi

amar212 said:
PKQmk.jpg

I'll keep the thread updated as he posts more info.

Aguirre

QuETd.gif

this is gonna be pretty good. i haven't touched gt5 in a wee while, but already this is making me excited as i was waiting for the game to release

@Kaz_Yamauchi: 7. Mid-race save feature for endurance races. / 8. Expanded online lounge features (Narrowing down car types, shuffle races)...

YEEEEESSSSS!

wpj1S.gif

More info, google translated:

7. Saving the middle of race
8.'s Online lounge extension (car search function, improved race shuffle).

CozMick

Banned
brotkasten said:
@Kaz_Yamauchi: 7. Mid-race save feature for endurance races. / 8. Expanded online lounge features (Narrowing down car types, shuffle races)...

YEEEEESSSSS!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..................

I hope that narrowing down cars means you can limit what specific cars people choose, instead of being just 1 make or from that awful recommended list.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, being able to save mid-race is HUGE.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What is pretty awesome is that every single one of these features were asked by the community.

Kaz is the best community manager ever.

They seem to really be addressing all the issues that people brought up. That makes me very curious about the DLC. The #1 course request has been Spa by a long shot. Obviously that would take more time to create than these options, but it seems like it's possible that it could happen now.

CozMick

Banned
anddo0 said:

HALLELUJAH!!!!! Can I get an amen?

AMEN!

I did the (2) 4 hour races and that shit damn near melted my PS3, this is a godsend.

YES on the replay front! Fuck those who said it wouldn't be possible! God this makes me so happy. The multiple car set ups is also extremely welcome, no idea why it wasn't available to begin with.

Fersis said:
What is pretty awesome is that every single one of these features were asked by the community.

Kaz is the best community manager ever.

Ugh, no. PD should have had a proper community manager 5 years ago. Maybe then all this stuff would have been in the released game instead of added on long after many have moved on from the game. I can't believe they still don't have a community manager to this day.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kenshin001 said:
Ugh, no. PD should have had a proper community manager 5 years ago. Maybe then all this stuff would have been in the released game instead of added on long after many have moved on from the game. I can't believe they still don't have a community manager to this day.
Japanese Studios are pretty behind in all the 'community' side of things.
So i respect Kaz trying to change that but i completely agree with you, PD needs a full time Community Manager.

ALL HAIL KING KAZ

Pazuzu9 said:
Have the tweets been coming in at a consistent rate? More to come?
Yes, more is coming.

Google translation:

@ Kaz_Yamauchi:
9. Extending the B-spec race can play from a remote GT.COM (Add a graph to change rank) /
10. Travel photo enhancements (take a picture with your avatar).

Official translation:

@Kaz_Yamauchi:
9. Expansion of the B-Spec remote race you can play from GT.com (a graph display now shows changes in race rankings.)
10. Expanded Photo travel features / You can now take photo’s of cars together with your avatar...

fucking finally!

FdKV7.jpg

LiK

Can I automatically jump into a required car in my garage for a specific race type instead of jumping back a few pages to get that car?

YES! Some awesome shit right there. Finally I can finish the last three endurance races. FFW and RWD!!! My god, I never thought I would see the day. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many more photos to be taken now and much much better video capture of on track action for NGRL events.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metalmurphy said:
1. Simplified interior view added to all standard cars.

Should've been in day one, but I'll take it.

2. User control of the weather change feature.

Sure, I'll take it.

4. Spec 2.0 Opening movie

Shorter? All they need is the PD Earth and a small bit of the car manufacturing bit. I love GT5's opening, but it's way too long to see more than a few times.

5. Improved UI response and usability

Great, but that doesn't fix the LOADING LOADING LOADING LOADING.

6. Replay front forward/rewind

If I can skip by frame, great. Makes taking pictures easier.

Should've been in day 1.

8. Expanded online lounge features (Narrowing down car types, shuffle races)...

You see this, DICE? This is HOW YOU DO GAME FINDING. None of this matchmaking and battlelog bullshit.

No new cars. :( No Eclipse Premium interior. :( :(

LiK said:
Was that a later update? I havent played it since launch.
I'm playing v1.0 right now and it gives me the option to go to my garage and select a suitable car for that event, if it's not selected.

Top Bottom