• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar: The Heart Part 4 - Single

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrc1594

See Sean worked himself into a shoot. Now everybody thinks K.Dot is shooting but it's actually a work. Drake going think it's a shoot cause he is mark.

Man...This track is excellent.

The beat beat at the start is so smooth Then the beat switch....phew

He Snaps.

"Donald Trump is chump" line and what followed after made me chuckle.

GamerSoul

Heard it for the first time today. My lawd. I love Kendrick when he messes with Jazz, but he is on another level on these types of beats.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Make it, make it, make it, boy, we gotta make it
You can save your hand, I ain't gotta shake it
Everything lined up for the takin'
And what I need from 'em? No favors
Clique too big, bread gotta break it
'Cause these others lowkey with the snakin', fakin'
And what I need from 'em? No favors, no favors
What I need? No favors
And what I need from 'em? No favors

[Verse 1: Big Sean]
I'm about gettin' the job done, boy up every night
I'm about rollin' a seven when I toss up the dice
I'm about gettin' my logo all flooded with ice
I'm about takin' a risk that might fuck up your life
Tell 'em point and shoot like camera crews
In front of cameras too (Brrr!)
Damn, Sean, what happened to the humble attitude?
I'm like, "Niggas took the flow, but I'm still standin' too."
Thought I had the Midas touch, and then I went platinum too
Motherfuck all your comparisons (Fuck 'em!)
I've been talkin' to God like that's my therapist
I'm African-American in America; I ain't inherit shit
But a millionaire under 30, so He must be hearin' shit
Don, don, don life, I do this for the crib, the D to Flint
Kids who get sick with lead, others get hit with the lead
From where they need a handout
But they tell you put hands up
Only deals I had was from the Sam's Club
Now it's blue blood in my veins
Though you know what I came for
Born in a world goin' where they told me I can't go
In my lane, though, I'm in the same boat as Usain Bolt
Get ahead by any means, so the head's what I aim for
When my grandma died I realized I got an angel
Show me everything's a blessing, dependin' on the angles
Look, I am the anomaly, never needed favors or apologies
That's my new lifetime policy
Woodgrain steering wheel, this bitch feel like a pirate ship
How many hot verses 'til you bitches start acknowledgin'
The pictures we been paintin'? My nigga
Connected to a higher power—how I know?
'Cause I don't write this shit, I think it, my nigga
Look, all I ever did was beat the odds
'Cause when you try to get even it just don't even out
Never stoppin' like we hypnotized
Watch what we visualize on the rise
Be the GOAT while we alive; when we die, we gone be the gods
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suppose I'll do my annotation here. I'm doing this free on any supplement, so these are just my personal interpretations of the lyrics

[Hook]
Not only is Big Sean saying that he's got to make it by any means, he's asserting that he has to forge his own path free from the aid of anyone else and that the world is within his hand, all he has to do is grasp it
He's also paying tribute to his crew who support and motivate him and he shares the spoils with them unlike others who betray those who have been loyal to them

[Verse 1]
Line 1; Sean is all about steadily working and further refining his craft at the sacrifice of other important aspects of his life as detailed in other songs such as "Blessings" and "Sacrifices"
Line 2; I'm not too familiar with dice but I know seven has the highest probability of being rolled so I assume that he's saying he's trying to get possible outcome?
Line 3; He received a roc-a-fella chain from Jay-Z and it being adorned in diamonds and precious jewels is a testament to his success and how far he has come
Line 4; He who dares wins, if a man takes no risk, he'll yield no reward
Line 5; Here he saying he's commanding his hired help to open fire on someone
Line 6; He doesn't care if his acts are caught on camera and his implicated because he can likely get off. Rich people don't go to jail and all that
Line 7; Someone is asking him what has happened to cause this violent change in his otherwise relaxed demeanor
Line 8; Even though he has been robbed of his style by other contemporaries, possibly Drake, Sean assures everyone that his is still ok
Line 9; Sean's previous albums prior to DSP have gone gold but he has singles and an album that have now gone platinum, cementing his success in rap
Line 10; Sean doesn't care much for being compared or likened to anyone
Line 11; Sean speaks to God and gives him his glory
Line 12; He also unloads his burdens to God
Line 13; Sean is a self made, black millionaire in a country who proclaims itself to be a haven of equality and understanding yet steadily shows that it's as racist and bigoted as it was centuries ago. He's received no reparations for the destruction America has done to his family as alluded to in "Sacrifices"
Line 14; He's accomplished all this in under 30 yrs of age, s he feels that God has obviously heard his prayers
Line 15; He now leads a privileged life but he not only does this in honor of the city that forged him but others experiencing their own hardships, the Flint water crisis being one such example
Line 16; Flint's water in lead laden and visibly brown and companies were even trying to get the residents to pay for the water. If the people aren't dying from the water, they're dying from bullet, be it from other residents or the police, who have in recent time become more militarized and prejudiced and intolerant towards blacks
Line 17; I think this builds off of the United Negro College Fund's althernate slogan of "not looking for a handout, just a hand" but things have become so hopeless that giving people a handout rather than a hand may be the best thing
Line 18; the people that are supposed to protect and to serve are the main assailants in the Detroit residents struggle to survive
Line 19; the only place that gave him any type of discount/help was Sam's Club, a subsidiary of Walmart and a wholesale store that offers increased quantity per dollar which incentives more spending under the guise of more savings
Line 20; Blue+Red=Purple, Purple=Royalty. Sean is asserting that he is royalty
Line 21; Building off of the last line, being of royal lineage, Sean is coming for the throne to he has a claim to, to be king
Line 22; he'll open any door that was previously closed before him and it was all of his own effort and not someone else pulling strings behind the scenes
Line 23; Because of the world records Bolt has earned in the 1&2, he is regarded as the best sprinter in T&F history to which Sean likens himself. Bolt is also thought of as a freak of nature in the sense that his body doesn't favor short sprints like the 100m where shorter, more explosive sprinters typically hold the advantage. Sean is an anomaly
Line 24; To get to the top, one has to have a clear goal in mind and Sean says this. There's also the sound of a suppressed weapon implying his willing to (figuratively?) kill anyone in his way and who's currently keeping the seat warm
Line 25; Sean feels as if his recently deceased Grandmother is guiding him through life and protecting him from the negativity surrounding him
Line 26; good or bad is all a matter of perspective
Line 27; He calls himself the anomaly, who else was called "The Anomaly"? Neo of the Matrix was, also known as the One. I think Sean is saying he's the One/Neo which he explicitly does in Sacrifices
Line 28; he reasserts for the rest of his life, he'll never ask for a helping hand
Line 29; the steering wheel in his car incorporates wood, directly comparing it to a pirate ship whose helms were made of wood
Line 30; When will this man get the mass appeal his raps are deserving of?
Line 31; Here Sean likens himself to Michelanglo
Line 32; And references "The Creation of Adam", with God and Adam touching, giving his divine essence to man. Interpreting the painting you see that God and the angels reside within the brain/heart illustrating that God resides within Sean and imparts him with these hot lines
Line 33; see line 32 above
Line 34; he's surmounted any obstacle that's stood in his way
Line 35; Blacks have to work 2x as hard a white to get half as far in life is something I routinely heard as a child and so I think Sean is trying to impart the listener with the knowledge that being black and half-stepping in life is a ticket for mediocrity
Line 36; In an induced state, the person generally doesn't break from it until the inducer allows them to
Line 37; Building on that last line, he's hypnotized you to watch all the moves (song reference?) that they'll be making in the days to come
Line 38; He aims to become the Greatest of All time while living and once he dies, like the Gods of antiquity/mythology he'll be eternal/immortal. It's reminiscent to Jay-Z rapping on "Threats" You can't kill me, I live forever through these bars".

I'm not sure if this is what you expected Cordy but I tried to uniquely annotate this single verse and hopefully you were able to gleam something that maybe you didn't perceive before. I think it shows that there is greater depth to what Sean is saying besides what's on the surface level, sure there aren't quadruple entendres or super complex lines on every line like Lupe. I'm not saying that he's the greatest or best or the deepest rapper out. I also don't have time to chronicle the things occurring in T88 or I Decided like someone else who is paid did with GKMC but I'm sure someone who has the time and is being paid can.

Izuna

Banned
Yes, No Favors is good

in fact, it's the ONLY good song on that whole album

but some of those explanations reminds me of when people talk about how Lupe songs are 120th Dimensional Chess

cordy

Banned
I'm not sure if this is what you expected Cordy but I tried to uniquely annotate this single verse and hopefully you were able to gleam something that maybe you didn't perceive before. I think it shows that there is greater depth to what Sean is saying besides what's on the surface level, sure there aren't quadruple entendres or super complex lines on every line like Lupe. I'm not saying that he's the greatest or best or the deepest rapper out. I also don't have time to chronicle the things occurring in T88 or I Decided like someone else who is paid did with GKMC but I'm sure someone who has the time and is being paid can.

Nah you did well but I see what the issue is now. You posted lines from a song I brought up posts ago and at this point the issue is that you just don't really "see" how it's all linking up as a whole. Here's what I posted.

No Favors - not having it and working to get it while stunting

Like stated before, that is Sean's biggest problem, he's always talking about the same things in his songs and it's always as if he's doing one long 5 Fingers of Death. What you posted up there, tell me something, how many of those lines are about Sean working hard to get where he's at and stunting? Every line you can connect back to that and that's why I brought up the purpose of the song. It's either you can't see it or your love for Sean's causing you to just not be able to understand that. It's like what I said about Sean having a few lines in his songs that he can bring up (the grandma and Flint lines) but overall it's all part of a central point and theme his tracks have. That's the main reason why people say he's not versatile, he's generic and he's not really on that higher level. Like look at what post below:

Line 1; Sean is all about steadily working and further refining his craft at the sacrifice of other important aspects of his life as detailed in other songs such as "Blessings" and "Sacrifices"
Line 4; He who dares wins, if a man takes no risk, he'll yield no reward
Line 5; Here he saying he's commanding his hired help to open fire on someone
Line 6; He doesn't care if his acts are caught on camera and his implicated because he can likely get off. Rich people don't go to jail and all that
Line 22; he'll open any door that was previously closed before him and it was all of his own effort and not someone else pulling strings behind the scenes

This is all the same format that Sean uses about working hard to make it and being successful. It all connects to that central point. The only songs he doesn't do this are the songs where he talks about a woman. Notice when he does talk about women he stays completely off working hard and where he came from simply because that's not what the song is about. For example, Outkast, take Spottieottiedopaliscious which is a song about a romance from both members. Starts off well but it quickly changes by the end of the track. Now, compare that song to West Savannah which has Big Boi talking about living Southern. Compare that to Liberation which is about artistic freedom and comparing it to slavery. All of these songs are completely different and don't stick to the same format of "ok let's rap about the same thing and instead change a few lines and say that's what the song is about those few lines" and with that said, compare that to Kendrick. King Kunta was about Kendrick being a king now, stunting. U was completely about Kendrick hating himself, no stunting on this track. How Much A Dollar Cost is a storytelling traack about Kendrick meeting God. I is about Kendrick loving himself now. These are very different themes and they're all so different from each other that it makes Kendrick a diverse artist. The whole reason that I said Big Sean sticks to the same format is because you can literally break down each track on his albums and considering the subject matter of the tracks you can fit them within those 2 things. He never stays on one different subject all through the track to divide them up like Outkast and Kendrick or even Big. Biggie for example had Things Done Changed which was about things changing from how they used to be. Gimme The Loot which is storytelling based on robbing. Juicy based on him rising up to become great (Juicy is pretty much the Big Sean inspirational format). Me and My Bitch is about him and his girl who eventually dies at the end. Suicidal Thoughts is (as the title states) suicidal thoughts and it ends with him killing himself. What separates each of these songs is that there's no random lines in there as if they're from the same song. In the Big Sean tracks you posted guaranteed there's a great amount of bars in each track that can be from the same song that he scrapped and put on another track because the subject matter is very similar. That's why I divided them up.

It's why I said Big Sean's not diverse and a lot of his tracks feel as though that it comes from a long 5 Fingers of Death freestyle. You know what I'm talking about. Just go to Youtube, watch his freestyle and just listen to him. He always gives you a few lines about other things not related to stunting, working hard and where he came from, always, but he always goes back to that. That's Sean's writing style. That's his format as a writer. That's just him. He does not have many songs that completely goes off-track from his regular style but he does have moments in that same format where he mentions things he doesn't normally talk about. Like 24K of Gold. Song was about Sean working hard, becoming successful but then, as I said, he brings up about what they need to teach in school, but then he goes back to his regular format before Cole jumps back on the track.

It's not even about entres, multis or even flows at this point, we're talking lyrics. For some reason you're not understanding how these lines all link together and fit one specific format.

Say for example if you put every Big Sean track on one long beat. How in sync do you think it would be? Do the same for Kendrick, it wouldn't work for him because of versatility. His subject matter wouldn't allow that to happen. Sean for example? His would because he uses similar lines across every track unless, again, he's talking to the ladies.

Like I said, that's his format but for some reason you just don't see this.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I understand that you feel like he doesn't have a wide variety of subjects to talk about. I understand that No Favors largely talks about a single, over arching subject. Anyway I've acknowledged your point, but I'll back out of here now. I'm not gonna deviate the thread any longer.

cordy

Banned
I understand that you feel like he doesn't have a wide variety of subjects to talk about. I understand that No Favors largely talks about a single, over arching subject. Anyway I've acknowledged your point, but I'll back out of here now. I'm not gonna deviate the thread any longer.

It's all good man and I appreciate your love of Sean's work and proving he's got bars as he does have bars and he is underrated. Be well.

Kaizer

Banned
Hey guys, y'all still vibing to this Kendrick tho, what's going on in- OHH........................................

IrishNinja

lionpride stop frontin and admit j cole is one of the current goats.

T7j38QS.jpg

That can't sing ass homeless looking motherfucker ain't shit

^

I feel like I'm on the Genius forums for fucks sake

yeah but they got rick rubin don't they

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Kendrick Inspires.

I wrote a quick bit based on his style.
I stand on the cusp of a new era.
Land of Freedom, seething.
Black and White, no meaning.
Feel me, freedom.

I cut my hand and reality stings
Woke up from my dream
Look up to the skies, fleeting.
Black and white divide
50/50, dont know who with me.

Keep inspiring Kendrick.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kendrick spontaneously recording and releasing this all within the last week is kind of crazy

Theres a tracklist going around.

1. Purple Hibiscus – produced by Sounwave & Terrace Martin
2. Counterfeit – produced by Rahki & Taz Arnold
3. Trust Everyone – produced by DJ Dahi, Terrace Martin & Thundercat
4. Delusional (Like You Haven’t) – featuring Anderson .Paak & Anna Wise, produced by Sounwave
5. Product – featuring Andre Benjamin, produced by Kanye West & Taz Arnold
6. Richard Nixon – produced by LoveDragon
7. None of Your Business – featuring Anna Wise, Kanye West & Q-Tip, produced by DJ Dahi, Kanye West & Sounwave
8. Double Standards – produced by LoveDragon & Rahki
9. If You Had Me, You Lost Me (Interlude) – produced by Flying Lotus & Mono/Poly
10. Commercialized, Failed Experiments – produced by Alchemist, Cardo & Swizz Beatz
11. Ten Steps – featuring Bilal, D’Angelo, & Thundercat, produced by Sounwave & Terrace Martin
12. Paranoia, Is Love Stronger Than Death? – produced by K.L. & LoveDragon
13. Rest in Paradise (Interlude) – produced by Terrace Martin
14. Swim with the Fishes (God Said) – produced by Sounwave & Terrace Martin

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/kendrick-lamar-new-album-leaked-track-list.html

Take with grain of salt etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom