• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program : like model rocket building but better and [no longer] free

Volodja

Rapstah said:
I believe I've officially left Earth's gravitational pull completely at around 38 500 KM away. I've been at 1196.6 m/s for several minutes.
Oh, that explains why I haven't seen it change since I came back to check, I wasn't around for the 38500 point.

Edit: Unless my memory completely fails me my speed actually went up by 0.1 m/s between 52000km and 53000 km?
I am now at 3798.3 m/s.

I'm at 700X KM and still climbing with a speed of 1936.X m/s. I was trying to bully my way into orbit and I overshot... just a little bit. lol. Bill and Bob are both shitting bricks but Jebediah is loving it. I think he's the only one who realizes I didn't put a parachute on the command module.

I got there with a four stage rocket of default parts. If I ever land I think I will have enough experience to put her into orbit and keep it there. I love this freakin' game.

Rapstah

Volodja said:
Edit: Unless my memory completely fails me my speed actually went up by 0.1 m/s between 52000km and 53000 km?
I am now at 3798.3 m/s.
Yeah, mine actually decreased 0.1, at 49600, but that's after having been at 1196.6 for several hours. The sun is just a background object, right?

Volodja

Rapstah said:
Yeah, mine actually decreased 0.1, at 49600, but that's after having been at 1196.6 for several hours. The sun is just a background object, right?
I don't know but there seems to be another gravitational pull aside from the one the starting planet creates.
I am at around 70000km and the speed is going up, from the 3798.3 m/s in the last post I've reached 3798.8 m/s now.

Rapstah

Volodja said:
I don't know but there seems to be another gravitational pull aside from the one the starting planet creates.
I am at around 70000km and the speed is going up, from the 3798.3 m/s in the last post I've reached 3798.8 m/s now.
This is definitely happening to me too. I regained that 0.1 m/s. I'm also aiming straight at the sun, but I don't think I would ever find out if it were the sun because it's hundreds of years away at this speed.

EDIT: In our solar system, the Sun's gravity would overtake Earth's at a distance of around 1 495 980 KM, but then based on how small the original planet is, I don't think this solar system is to scale with ours. The sun might be a lot closer, if we're assuming this is the sun pulling.

EDIT 2: New theory; the calculation they're using to measure gravity is bad and starts outputting negative numbers at over a certain distance. Maybe the game glitches at 0, too, which would have caused that random reduction in one m/s I had.

Volodja

Rapstah said:
This is definitely happening to me too. I regained that 0.1 m/s. I'm also aiming straight at the sun, but I don't think I would ever find out if it were the sun because it's hundreds of years away at this speed.

EDIT: In our solar system, the Sun's gravity would overtake Earth's at a distance of around 1 495 980 KM, but then based on how small the original planet is, I don't think this solar system is to scale with ours. The sun might be a lot closer, if we're assuming this is the sun pulling.

EDIT 2: New theory; the calculation they're using to measure gravity is bad and starts outputting negative numbers at over a certain distance. Maybe the game glitches at 0, too, which would have caused that random reduction in one m/s I had.
It could very well be some kind of glitch.

In the meantime I went down 0.1 m/s out of nowhere.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
rNFOD.png

Look at dat champion.

plc268

Slayer-33 said:
rNFOD.png

Look at dat champion.

You're better off putting your SRBs on the bottom and your liquid rocket on top. Also, a premature separation with liquid tanks below will likely cause an explosion.

MGrant

Past 10,000 km, still going at over 3700 m/s, dropping one every 35 seconds. Yeah, I think these guys are gone. The key for distance seems to be having plenty of fuel left over after leaving the atmosphere.

big_z

just noticed you can change the order things fire or decouple. so you can have a rocket that fires from the nose and ass end. been able to add 9 more rockets to my creation thanks to this. now i can reach orbit on nothing but solid fuel.

Rapstah

MGrant said:
Past 10,000 km, still going at over 3700 m/s, dropping one every 35 seconds. Yeah, I think these guys are gone. The key for distance seems to be having plenty of fuel left over after leaving the atmosphere.
My guys are 105 500 KM away now, 23 and a half hours in. Earth is no longer visible.

big_z

Rapstah said:
My guys are 105 500 KM away now, 23 and a half hours in. Earth is no longer visible.

im surprised your computer isnt a melted heap by now. for some reason this game makes my videocard work like crazy.

Rapstah

big_z said:
im surprised your computer isnt a melted heap by now. for some reason this game makes my videocard work like crazy.
It's fine, I can play Team Fortress 2 over the game now without any performance hit. I guess there's not really much left to render in my session though.

The clock rolls over to 00:00:00 at 24 hours by the way. I wonder why.

Rapstah

ThoseDeafMutes said:
You're not even halfway to the moon yet. 362,570 km at it's closest point.
Since Earth is visible from the Moon, obviously, I wonder why it dissapeared for me. Probably a rendering error. I entered another bizarro-zone at 110 000 KM too, my G force meter is going nuts and something made me go 0.1 m/s slower.

Rapstah said:
Since Earth is visible from the Moon, obviously, I wonder why it dissapeared for me. Probably a rendering error. I entered another bizarro-zone at 110 000 KM too, my G force meter is going nuts and something made me go 0.1 m/s slower.

This game is full of errors, bugs and oddities. Given how early it is in development and the fact that it's an indie project, it's forgivable.

EDIT:

Does anybody know whether there is a thrust vs specific impulse tradeoff when you raise or lower the throttle on liquid engines?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yeah, this game is still in alpha, but it is quite amusing. Also their forum is getting updated every day with new info for new releases.

Also, i think that there are no other objects in game space right now.

MGrant

Trying my best to orbit this sumbitch. Got a fairly stable orbit going on, but it's really, really hard to make it perfectly circular without constantly correcting with boosters. Also, I'm way higher than I need to be. I think it's possible to orbit around 40km, whereas I'm all the way up at 80 km.

MGrant said:
Trying my best to orbit this sumbitch. Got a fairly stable orbit going on, but it's really, really hard to make it perfectly circular without constantly correcting with boosters. Also, I'm way higher than I need to be. I think it's possible to orbit around 40km, whereas I'm all the way up at 80 km.

Low Earth Orbit starts at about 160km, but anything below 200km rapidly decays. I don't think this game is going to be simulating orbits very realistically.

Rapstah

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Low Earth Orbit starts at about 160km, but anything below 200km rapidly decays. I don't think this game is going to be simulating orbits very realistically.
The planet is probably not to scale with Earth to start off.

Rapstah

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Does it even have a moon?
Not a visible one. Granted I don't think we'd have an idea where it would be, even if there were a moon, from the starting position. Would its distance from the planet be the same as our moon, or scaled down to how much smaller the frog planet is than ours? Would it orbit? It would kick ass if you had to do the real NASA calculations, with slingshotting out of orbit twice and such, in the final version. The idea that the final game might even have that is enough to make me want to buy it.

Rapstah said:
Not a visible one. Granted I don't think we'd have an idea where it would be, even if there were a moon, from the starting position. Would its distance from the planet be the same as our moon, or scaled down to how much smaller the frog planet is than ours? Would it orbit? It would kick ass if you had to do the real NASA calculations, with slingshotting out of orbit twice and such, in the final version. The idea that the final game might even have that is enough to make me want to buy it.

I also noticed it doesn't have anything approaching earth gravity, it's more like 2m/s/s instead of 9.80665 m/s/s. I would love for more options than "Liquid fuel / solid fuel", and more realistic physical modelling. There should be a thing to compare the thrust, delta-v and specific impulse of each drive so you could more accurately plan things out in the design stage. Is there even any way to see your wet mass? I think I did notice fuel having mass that accurately lowers as you burn through it, which was cool, but actual numbers would be great.

Also, there should be an Orion drive!

big_z

Chris Murphy said:
Just made a ship that reaches 5800m/s at just over 1500K. Damn this game is addictive. :D

i made a ship that pushed 167G's

i just noticed that when the counter rolls over it starts to count much slower even though your speed doesnt change.

some other issues i hope get fixed next release are:
-when reloading your ship sometimes joints become slightly off and break.
-an option to multi-select parts and assign them a stage. when you add a lot of parts they sometimes go into the wrong stage and become useless and the game also resets the order back to the bugged one after trying to launch once.
-a second launch pad without a tower because wide ships explode when clipping this one :p

BTW here's a challenge for GAF. duplicate this:

I made it into space, with a dead crew.
2r4k7x2.jpg

bonus(lol): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_HulTcU28

Rapstah

Where we're going,

nonames4fjz.png

we won't need names.

This bug might've happened because I kept switching between windowed and full screen a lot yesterday. Didn't see it until now. Currently at 133780 KM from the starting planet. Anyone could catch up with me in a couple of hours really as long as you had 3000+ m/s at the around 38500 KM from the planet range. Gravity really drops off there. I've had a decrease of 0.2 m/s since then which is obviously neglectable.

Volodja

Rapstah said:
Where we're going,

nonames4fjz.png

we won't need names.

This bug might've happened because I kept switching between windowed and full screen a lot yesterday. Didn't see it until now. Currently at 133780 KM from the starting planet. Anyone could catch up with me in a couple of hours really as long as you had 3000+ m/s at the around 38500 KM from the planet range. Gravity really drops off there. I've had a decrease of 0.2 m/s since then which is obviously neglectable.
That bug happened to me too and I didn't do any switching, as far as a I've seen the names slowly fall towards the bottom of the screen and then disappear the further you go from the planet.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
At 12500 km, game stopped rendering my ship :D

Also that additional parts are insane. Boosters are like watching Challenger all over again.

androvsky

Decided to stop trying for raw height and see how hard getting into orbit would be. It's more of a challenge of piloting than it is design, especially since I have to use a keyboard to steer (the config program recognizes my gamepad, but it does nothing in the game). But I finally managed a vaguely stable orbit; the capsule's altitude varies wildly (between 300,000M and 40,000M), but I've gone around the planet several times without power. The annoying this is that I was lining up to do one final adjustment boost, and instead of toggling on the SAS, I jettisoned my last stage with a 3/4 full tank. I was going to try for reentry after a few orbits. :(

screenshot2-1.png

Note the 2-hour mission time. :)

Rapstah

47 hrs 2 minutes in, my speed has started increasing, currently at 1196.8 m/s. 206 325 kilometers from launch at the moment. G Force meter going crazy once again, fluctuating around +15 (which would kill the astronauts in minutes if the game simulated that).

Rapstah said:
47 hrs 2 minutes in, my speed has started increasing, currently at 1196.8 m/s. 206 325 kilometers from launch at the moment. G Force meter going crazy once again, fluctuating around +15 (which would kill the astronauts in minutes if the game simulated that).

How far did Bill, Bob and Jebediah get in the end?

I have been trying to get them past the point of no return but haven't managed it.

Rapstah

DeathCubeK said:
How far did Bill, Bob and Jebediah get in the end?

I have been trying to get them past the point of no return but haven't managed it.
I'm cancelling the trip right now, they'll reach 400 000 KM now and that's far enough. I can't remember if this took three or four days but imagine a couple of 24-hour periods added to the clock.

space400hjug.png

space400stats9kxt.png

Beat that G-force record. I scrolled down to the bottom of both stat fields because the most interesting stuff happened there. I believe my second stage hit the ground around fourteen hours in which is very cool.

Top Bottom