• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program : like model rocket building but better and [no longer] free

Borman

Downloaded the Mac version yesterday, so awesome. Just orbited the planet a few times, landing in the water now. Thought I destroyed my parachute, luckily I didn't. 1 day 8 hours later, and Ive landed safely.

Edit: Current mission length is 340 days, and no end in sight. Stuck in orbit around the sun. I catch up the planet, slightly, every now and again, but am currently moving away at over 9000m/s, at almost 14000m from the planet.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Fully working 0.12 version is out, so you can replace experimental one with offical release.

r1chard

Just tried out 0.13 (after skipping 0.12) and I thoroughly enjoyed flying my little kerbonauts out to the Mun and back to Kerbin for safe splashdown :)

Just stock parts so no landing on the Mun. Had enough fuel that I probably could have though.

Really liking that I can now have external liquid boosters and tanks. And the vectoring engines really help control. My base rocket now has a set of 9 engines on the first stage (not including any solid boosters I also strap on for an initial kick) and three of those are vectoring allowing a nice, smooth and straight ride.

The transition between various flight stages (mostly to cope with the 1-body gravity simulation available in Unity can be really jarring. The trajectory plots can be a tad unpredictable when they switch between Kerbin and the Mun. Not terrible, but I do hope they figure a way to have a more consistent simulation.

What I'd really like to also see is a time scale along the orbital tracks that they draw to better allow rendezvous.

Kabouter

Just getting into this game, running it with the NovaPunch parts pack.
One of my more successful designs:
schermafbeelding2011-0hrhl.png

19 SRBs

My most successful though:
schermafbeelding2011-eoyod.png

schermafbeelding2011-slxpt.png

schermafbeelding2011-pux5v.png

ksimm

OMG 0.14 was released, only just found out... downloading now!

http://kerbalspace.tumblr.com/post/18686063606/ksp-0-14-is-official-and-available-at-the-store

I’m very pleased to announce that after 9 weeks, the longest update period we’ve ever tackled, the 0.14 update of KSP is finally official!
This version, as you all probably know, adds persistence to the game, as well as support for multiple simultaneous flights, multiple crew members, and live-switching between flights.

It also adds a plugin loader, which means mod-makers are now able to program their own part types, and we’ve already seen some incredible things being developed by the community, even before the official release (or even documentation) was out.
We’ve also released the 13.3 update for our Demo, which fixes a few issues from the old version.

New:
* Flights are regularly saved to file, to be resumed later. (yes, persistence )
* Support for multiple simultaneous flights and switching from ship to ship.
* The Tracking Station Facility at the Space Center, allows you to select and resume a flight in progress.
* Holding the middle mouse button will allow you to rotate the flight camera about itself, instead of rotating its pivot. (double-clicking the MMB will recenter it)
* Tweaked the orbit rendering on the Map View to reduce clutter when several icons are moused over at the same time.
* Landed or Splashed vessels now display their coordinates (or location, if available) when moused over on the Map View.
* More Crew Members so you can launch missions while others are underway.
* A Stats Tracking System, so we can collect information of the game for statistical purposes.(Demo)
* An External Module Loader, which enables mod makers to program their own part modules.
* An integrated game update system, so you don't have to redownload each time there is a new update.
* A small liquid fuel tank, a small liquid fuel engine, and a new Landing Leg part type.

GodofWine

I 'donated', and am building rockets....So far the only crew that I put into orbit, and returned alive was my very first rocket design....all attempts to further my program have ended in 3 more dead kerbals per launch....poor kerbals...

I need to get more of these mod packs or something.

Can anyone tell me why one's first stage may not ignite ? I have a 3 solid fule booster stage, connected to three boosters above it via the 'stage decoupler ring thing' (3 of them, on for each).

When I hit 'space'...nothing, when I hit it again, the three rings decouple...then I hit it again and my next stage fires (sending the kerbals to their very likely demise....)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey guys!

Just trying the demo and have an issue.

When I use the liquid rocket model 30 (more thrust, less power) it fails to ignite. The configuration is proper with the fuel tank and all, if i replace the model 30 with the model 45 the rocked ignites properly.

Thanks.

Menelaus

Banned
Dunno what they changed physics wise in .14, but I was doing much better in the demo (just started playing yesterday, bought it today).

Crazy how simple little moments in this game are so awesome. My first orbital sunrise!

MIK2Hl.jpg

Log4Girlz

They want to make a game? Cool. This would be a neat sub-game to something like a Sim City or Civilization game where as your funds rise so can your space program and research into different technologies.

Talyn

They want to make a game? Cool. This would be a neat sub-game to something like a Sim City or Civilization game where as your funds rise so can your space program and research into different technologies.
I've always envisioned this evolving into something that teaches the actual evolution of rocketry, from achieving successful orbit to a trip to the moon, to reaching further planets and beyond. Not to take away from the fun of it, of course, but we see players already taking this route on their own. If I were a science teacher I'd be trying to get my students to play this in the hope that it might reignite an interest in space exploration.

Was totally not expecting to blow past Earth and start orbiting the Sun ... still looking to land on the moon but gauging the right angle is toughhh.

SpaceDefeated.png

Love this game, can't wait until a full version is released.

I decided to pay the 15 dollars and got to download version 14.3 with all the extra parts. They are really nice and don't seem to be overpowered.

I especially like the advanced SAS module. It controls both the movable canards and thrust vectored rocked engines. Adding one of these makes even the most unstable vehicle flyable.

watership

Haven't played in 6 months! Diving back in. :D

edit: Oy, the pre-order/donate/download/updating/patching is really really clunky. They need to streamline it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Finally gave this game a shot. Its been around a year but it seems like it has really picked up steam in the last month or so, which is awesome.

I like that the learning curve allows people to keep moving the goal posts back.

At first I just wanted a functional rocket. Then I wanted to make it into space. Then I wanted to enter a stable orbit around earth. Then reach Mun. Then Mun and back, etc etc.

Some members of the IGN office are currently in a "space race" to design a rocket that can make it to mun and back. No cheating by looking at guides or wikis, etc.

Currently using the mechjeb autopilot mod and I'm still having a difficult time getting to the moon and back. My best attempt is having three astronauts flying through space to eternity after running out of gas after returning from Munn.

Wow, this game is amazing. DL'ed it over the weekend, and within a few hours I was learning about rocket science to figure out how to orbit and transfer orbits to the moon. I don't do it very efficiently, but I've been able to transfer to the moon's orbit a couple times, and also to the sun by accident. Have not made it back yet though. Those Kerbals are still orbiting out there somewhere.

The new and planned updates sound amazing though. Launching up to and docking with a space station, going out to find and rescue members of a stranded mission, etc would be so cool (also a huge challenge given the precision needed).

The mech jeb autopilot mod is great at showing how orbiting works. It showed me that you should keep climbing to 10.000 meters and then start banking the vehicle. Wait until the apex reaches somewhat higher than 70.000 meters and cut the engines. At this point you should be banking at about 45 degrees. While banking, you can level your craft at 90 degrees. After reaching 70.000 meters (and outer space) 100% your engines while keeping an eye on the map. You'll see your trajectory grow until it surrounds Kerbin. Cut the engines and you'll be orbiting earth.

To reach Munn, you'll have to all of the previous in the same rotational plane as the planet. Then hit the throttle to extend orbit to Munn. This moment depends on which route you have taken around Kerbin. Bank to the right (90 degrees) and you'll have to hit the throttle about when the Munn rises. Bank to the left (270 degrees) and you do the same when the Munn sets. That should get you to the Munn.

Now try and land.:p

The-Bean

Needed a push.

This is caused by a bug that returned in one of the recent versions. If you move your rocket from the center of the vehicle assembly it should work fine.

I've been addicted to this over the past month. Not being able to even get into orbit for the first ~6 hours of playing only using the in-game tutorials (which barely tell you anything I might add) to building a small moon base.

Going along pretty well so far, using the following mods:
Down Under Aerospace
BACE Construction Co. v0.1 pack

The rocket I'm using to get them to the the Mun, and the location of the base:

81786339.jpg

And what I've managed to get up there so far:

85541961.jpg

ksimm

I always keep coming back to this game, it's such a time waster, I love it!
The latest updates terrain generation makes it much nicer to look at too.

I've only played vanilla, but I'm downloading mods now as I type. Some of them look amazing, especially the space station and moon base things.

I would love to see multiplayer rocket launch with some kind of international space station building, like minecraft in space. :]

I dont know what direction the team is going with the game but it would be awesome to have missions that impose some limitations. Like, get to x amount of meters with only x amount of credits. Or get into orbit with a rocket weighing only x. It would add some structure to the game as well as educate the player of the limitations of the parts they are using.

r1chard

Another awesome update with 0.15 just released:

New:

* The Spaceplane Hangar Facility, allows you to build vehicles horizontally, and launch them from a Runway
* The Runway Facility, to launch from and land your spaceplanes at.
* A new Part Creation Toolset, allowing for animated models, with normal and emmissive maps.
* A deployable Landing Gear part
* A new AtmosphericEngine part type, and two new air-breathing engines.
* A Patched Conics trajectory projection system, shows your map trajectory as it enters and leaves the SOI of planets and moons.
* Parts now can have a context menu where you can view data and perform actions. (Atmo engines already implement this)
* Parts now visually display their temperatures through a dynamic emmissive heat map.
* It is now possible to manually rotate parts on the VAB and Spaceplane Hangar prior to placement (using the WSADQE keys, Shift, Space to Reset)
* It is now possible to trim the roll, pitch and yaw inputs by holding Alt and pressing the roll, pitch and yaw keys (Alt+X to reset).
* Added a small, far-flung second moon around Kerbin, called Minmus.

Bug Fixes and Tweaks:

* Fixed a security flaw with the updater tool.
* The flight log will no longer show the terrain tile IDs when crashing things into them. It will show the correct "crashed into terrain" message.
* Corrected the level of the ocean quadtree, so that it matches visually with the simulated water level.
* (Possibly) increased performance on the flight scenes (from the terrain tweak also)
* Found and fixed the true cause of the orbit NaN bug. (see last note on this page)
* Corrected the aileron action on ControlSurface parts. Now aileron input is determined based on part orientation instead of symmetry counterparts.
* Fixed an issue with joystick throttle when focusing/unfocusing the game.
* Fixed a problem with fuel lines and struts becoming attached to non-existent parts when reloaded.
* Fixed the behaviour of the Alt key when Alt-Tabbing out of the game.
* It is no longer possible to enter time warp or save the game if the ship is landed or splashed, but still moving.
* Several improvements to the scene lighting in the Spaceplane Hangar and Vehicle Assembly Building.
* Fixed Fuel Lines and Struts not reconnecting once reattached to the ship at the VAB and SPH
* Improved the part dragging on the editor scenes
* After a crash, the end flight dialog will only come up by clicking the left mouse button, hitting Esc or the Space Bar.

Can't wait to get home and fire this up!

Woorloog

Banned
Spaceplanes? Damn, i really might have to buy this.
Not really keen on buying it yet though, mods seem to be doing a lot of what the vanilla game should include. Or has this changed with 0.15/earlier?

web01

I purchased this game today after seeing this thread bumped and holy shit is it awesome.
My best flight was getting into an orbit with the closest moon but I ran out of fuel with no way to return home.

r1chard

I finally managed to get to Minmus, land, and back to Kerban last weekend. Landing on Minmus is mostly a challenge of finding a level landing area :)

watership

Sites been near dead or dead for days. I can't even log in to download a new copy for this pc. Yesterday I got in, then the download died 1/2 way through. Anyone else having this issue?

I found this game via another forum a few days ago...

I don't want to share how much time I've wasted playing the demo. It's close to as much time I wasted on the Just Cause 2 demo. I'm definitely going to buy the full version once the site gets back up.

r1chard

Sites been near dead or dead for days. I can't even log in to download a new copy for this pc. Yesterday I got in, then the download died 1/2 way through. Anyone else having this issue?
Yeah, their website is way overloaded. I've not been able to download this update yet :-(

Dakota47

Just downloaded the 1.6 version. Having not played the game in the last six months or so I was quite impressed by the progress it has made. Extra-vehicular activity? Can't wait to try it out.

Top Bottom