• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program : like model rocket building but better and [no longer] free

Xero

It would be really cool if this game or one like it came out, that was used to actually help inspire new spacecraft designs, I think I remember them having that medical game that was similar.

After all this time of not playing i'm back and bought the current release, been a little addicted to checking youtube for plane designs and seeing just how much more content there is now compared to last november.

*edit* space planes are not as easy as they look, wow :(

Rapstah

I am returning to this now, bought version, having played the demo in depth a year ago. I am trying my own proper space program with numbered launches, a new goal for each launch and the ultimate goal to return all launched astronauts to the planet. I started off with my "Lange" model rockets: two launches of two-stage liquid fuel boosters. Lange 1 successfully escaped the atmosphere and had an astronaut do an EVA along a ladder on the outside. Lange 2 had three failed launches where the astronauts died because of what I think is a bug in how parts connect.

I switched models to the "Kurze" style rocket - a much shorter rocket with one four-rocket stage at the bottom, followed by a one-rocket booster that would kick in as the first is dropped. Although running the lowest stage on full throttle is not an option - it literally breaks the supports and overtakes my astronauts' stage if they're lucky enough not to get hit - a properly run launch caused Kurze 1 to be a failure where the astronauts lived and Kurze 2 to be an immense success where orbit was all but achieved. I am currently at this trajectory:

kerbalorbitg2r4b.png

That is almost halfway to the moon (in distance only), returning to Kerbin. Although the current trajectory indicates that the ship will land in the middle of the ocean, it is moving at a speed that I suspect will make it land on land unless the planet is missed entirely. The furthest point is going to be reached in about an hour and a half at *1 speed, meaning roughly a three hour flight. I plan to have it running in the background while I do other things because it's more fun not to fast forward.

At around the shown point along the run I had an absolutely amazing EVA: an astronaut accidentally dropped the ladder he was on, having to jetpack around the spinning ship for minutes before managing to grab hold of the command module ladder. Exciting stuff.

Plans for future rockets, although their design and thus naming is undecided, is for the third model to achieve low Kerbin orbit for at least four passes, and a moon landing within the foreseeable future. We'll see.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
eKtoe.jpg

This is my most successful munlanding yet... Everything is technically intact!

The suits on Kerbin are still debating whether a rescue mission is worth it, though

Rapstah

eKtoe.jpg

This is my most successful munlanding yet... Everything is technically intact!

The suits on Kerbin are still debating whether a rescue mission is worth it, though

This is probably a really basic question, but can you do a rescue mission without leaving another astronaut to replace him?

Edit: Oh, of course you could just throw any number of them out before even launching.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Edit: Oh, of course you could just throw any number of them out before even launching.

Yeah, that's how I rescued one Kerbonaut whose spaceplane had a slight collision with the ground on the other side of Kerbin. All four of them and the rescue plane are now at the space center, saluting future adventurers.

elfinke

I'd not heard of this until I saw the equally fantastic and absurd Giantbomb QL. Breaking through this thread during lunch just now has really whetted the appetite.

I just don't know if I'd get $18 worth of time out of it, despite really wanting to give it a whirl.

chiablo

I'd not heard of this until I saw the equally fantastic and absurd Giantbomb QL. Breaking through this thread during lunch just now has really whetted the appetite.

I just don't know if I'd get $18 worth of time out of it, despite really wanting to give it a whirl.

Play the demo. It's free and fully functional.

This game is in a realm of brilliance I haven't experienced in ages. I stayed up till 4am playing it last night after watching the GB Quicklook, and immediately purchasing it after that. Then today I buckled down and watched some orbital mechanics videos and set off for the Mun.

Simple is better it seems with rocket design. I love manually guiding the ship through the stages, rotating into orbit, quick burns, apoapsis, kimble. It is all so fricking cool. The sense of accomplishment in this game is immense. Can't wait to land on the Mun. I can get there and orbit easy enough, but a lot of fireballs and corpses so far.

Buying this has been worth every cent of my purchase. I'm still working on building rockets that make it to the mun and back. I just have too much fun building giant rockets that send my kerbals orbiting the sun.

Here's a couple shots of things I've built. They both fly.

5MjT3.jpg

EAWOI.jpg

Got these parts via a mod from the main site forums.

I'm also tinkering around with a Space Shuttle type design. It gets too unstable and rolls over at ~9000m, though.

Rapstah

Is it actually possible to make a functioning space plane in the current release without mods? I can build something that rolls along the runway just fine at speeds that should be more than enough to lift off, but they can't actually take off without major luck with bouncing off the ground at the end of the runway, not to mention the constant SAS that's required for it not to flip the hell out once in the air.

It would be a lot easier if you could actually link boosters to the direction keys instead of having to rely on whatever weird supernatural force it is that currently moves your ship.

Lach

Nice progress...

Got to the moon with 0.15, but used up to much fuel (navigating during the landing) to get back. Now with EVA I plan a rescue mission.

They need to add docking asap. I wan't to:
- create modular space stations
- build in orbit space-crafts (might not happen) for missions to other planets.

[edit] oh and a proper moon mission with orbiting the moon, dispatching lunar lander, landing on the moon, launch from moon, reattach lunar lander and return to kerbin.
[edit2] and by moon I of corse mean mün.

Got this yesterday after watching the Giantbomb quicklook. Played the demo for the tutorials and then thought "well, 2.5 drinks in town, or playing this". No brainer.

BUT, I don't think I'm ever going to be good enough at this to get into Orbit or land on the moon. Looks very very delicate to fly once up. Anyone recommend any helper videos with the next stage. To be fair I've got enough joy out of making huge liquid fuel rocket powered monsters, so no complaints here

Nice seeying some new stuff in there. I'ts a shame though that i am unable to load my old rockets. I'm really having a hard time conserving fuel for my return mission from munn with my new rocket.

Vlad

BUT, I don't think I'm ever going to be good enough at this to get into Orbit or land on the moon. Looks very very delicate to fly once up. Anyone recommend any helper videos with the next stage. To be fair I've got enough joy out of making huge liquid fuel rocket powered monsters, so no complaints here

Quick note, I've only played the demo, which is a few versions behind. Some of this info may have changed.

As far as steering goes, I find it easier to use the ball at the bottom of the screen. The problem with trying to steer by just looking at the ship is that your rocket is most likely completely symmetrical, so it's impossible to tell where "up" or "left" on it is. However, D will always move to the right on the ball, A to the left, etc. The ball also has two green indicators which are VERY useful: One of them represents the direction you're going, and the other one represents the opposite. This is useful for increasing/decreasing your orbit, as it's a lot more energy efficient than just turning towards the planet/moon and gunning the engines. Just align your pointer on the ball with one of the symbols and do a burn, very handy.

Also, if you're going to be moving the ship around, turn SAS off first. It's going to be constantly trying to keep you on the heading you were on when you started, so you'll only be fighting your own system if you try to turn with SAS on. This means that you don't have to worry about being too precise about your steering, as long as you can turn SAS on in the right spot, it'll correct itself even if you didn't stop exactly there.

plc268

Is it actually possible to make a functioning space plane in the current release without mods? I can build something that rolls along the runway just fine at speeds that should be more than enough to lift off, but they can't actually take off without major luck with bouncing off the ground at the end of the runway, not to mention the constant SAS that's required for it not to flip the hell out once in the air.

It would be a lot easier if you could actually link boosters to the direction keys instead of having to rely on whatever weird supernatural force it is that currently moves your ship.

You can make a functional space plane without bouncing off the end of the runway. The key is, is that you have to attach the control surfaces to the wings and rudders just right, and have the wings in the correct place. If you're having problems lifting off, it's likely you have your wings too far forward, or you're too heavy and long and you need multiple wings.

But you're right though, the engine isn't really suited for that type of flight, so it's still rather glitchy once you're in the air.

Got this yesterday after watching the Giantbomb quicklook. Played the demo for the tutorials and then thought "well, 2.5 drinks in town, or playing this". No brainer.

Watch all the tutorial videos in the "how to" section of the KSP forums. The Orbital Mechanics 101 is a must. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum...Mechanics-101-A-Kerbal-Space-Program-Tutorial

I didn't watch the landing part of the moon video because I want to figure that part out on my own. Not going so well, hahah. I think my intuition is correct though, just need to get the hang of the RCS controls. Oh nice! Just noticed he added a RCS tutorial video.

Gandie

In preparation for the eventual Moon mission (lol), I tried deorbiting and landing on Kearth today:

kspl1.png

Deploying chute with half a tank (and 4 boosters) left

kspl2.png

Lost the engine on impact.

kspl3.png

Without the engine I had no chance of escaping the planet's gravity ever again.

chiablo

Yesterday... after many attempts, my first Kerbal landed on the Mun...

WjBmBm.png

But due to a tragic miscalculation on landing, he lost the ability to return home.

xAuzg.png

We cannot leave our national hero stranded in the cold of space. Thus started the great Kerbal rescue mission.

8EIDk.png

After dozens of prototypes and failed launches, I finally landed on the Mun a second time with my larger rescue craft. They were able to land only a kilometer from the stranded vessel.

nWEp3.png

After a 10 minute walk, he's finally ready to head home.
fazRn.png

God speed, brave heroes.
24oK6.png

Success! Mama Jebidiah will be glad to see her son.
5jqMJ.png

Bought the full game and kicked off my official Kerbal Space Program. The third mission I lost my first Kerbalnaut. :( The mission briefing below.

Code:
MISSION 3:

Primary Objective
	Reach Low orbit Altitude 
	Test test tripple XL parachute setup on SRB over water (Test 3)

Seconary Objective
	Test Adv. RCS boosters/ AV-R8 winglets to control tumbling
	Spalsh down in Kerblantic Ocean

Spacecraft used: KBS2-113-V3
Modifications- Added RCS thruster on 2nd stage LFT, added 3 AV-R8 Winglets.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESULTS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAJOR FAILURE: 

600m, 14s

Official Report: Shortly after launch, in an attempt to orient the craft over the ocean 
for testing of "Triple Parachute SRB" success, Kerbalnaut Jebediah Kermen lost control of 
the craft at an altitude of 600m, causing it to tumble and crash shortly thereafter.
Kerbalnaut Jebediah Kermen was unable to deploy the capsule parachute in time and died
on inpact.

Reason for crash- Pilot error
Immediate Action- Halt all tests requiring high maneuverability control until further notice.

Yes I'm keeping a mission log for each launch. Shut up.

Watch all the tutorial videos in the "how to" section of the KSP forums. The Orbital Mechanics 101 is a must. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum...Mechanics-101-A-Kerbal-Space-Program-Tutorial

I didn't watch the landing part of the moon video because I want to figure that part out on my own. Not going so well, hahah. I think my intuition is correct though, just need to get the hang of the RCS controls. Oh nice! Just noticed he added a RCS tutorial video.

Gutterboy and vlad, thank you
5.gif

WjBmBm.png

But due to a tragic miscalculation on landing, he lost the ability to return home.

xAuzg.png

We cannot leave our national hero stranded in the cold of space. Thus started the great Kerbal rescue mission.

8EIDk.png

After dozens of prototypes and failed launches, I finally landed on the Mun a second time with my larger rescue craft. They were able to land only a kilometer from the stranded vessel.

nWEp3.png

fazRn.png

God speed, brave heroes.
24oK6.png

5jqMJ.png

so rad!

omlAv.jpg

A crude NASA Space Launch System mockup. It works even with the scramjet EVAC system at the top. I just need to add more fuel/stages towards the top. This will be coming to a launchpad near you, if you live in Titusville...., in 2014!

F603H.jpg

STS-Kerbal Edition! I need to work on the aerodynamics and RCS properties. It goes belly up at about 10km into the air. The shuttle, when separated, works fantastic as a glider.

Razek

Banned
Hi guys. I played the demo version for quite a while and really like the game. Do you think there is enough content from the demo to warrant spending 18 bucks?

Are there any wheels so I can make some kind of makeshift car or rover to drive on the moon with? That would be a huge appeal to me.

Hi guys. I played the demo version for quite a while and really like the game. Do you think there is enough content from the demo to warrant spending 18 bucks?

Are there any wheels so I can make some kind of makeshift car or rover to drive on the moon with? That would be a huge appeal to me.

Paid version has SPACE PLANES so it's well worth it.

shaowebb

God speed, brave heroes.

9DXug.jpg

I f*cking KNEW it had to be Jebediah "Thrillmaster!"Kerman who got himself stranded on the Mun.
Godspeed Jebediah. May you brave the reaches of space and laugh in the face of common sense again soon.

Extra rockets and parts, mods to make satellites and rovers, spaceplane hanger, second planet to fly to, plus the continuing support and upgrades from the devs. Sp yes, worth the $18.

Megasoum

Banned
If you guys are looking for cool KSP videos you should check out The Winter Owl's youtube channel. His Kerbal "seasons" are amazing. The guy is one of the best builder I've seen so far. He's at a point right now where he has a reliable and reusable (well in theory since the game doesn't really allow that) "shuttle" type craft that he uses to ferry payloads to orbit.

He's been exploring the moon for a little while now trying to find artifacts (they added artifacts and monoliths around the moon and Kerbal). He actually mapped the moon and used monolith detectors (that's one of the addons available) to try to find the thing....

It's CRAZY how the game changed in the last couple of years compared to how it was when I first seen it 2-3 years ago.

I dun goofed. I was bringing my Kerbalnaut out of orbit using reverse thrust, switching back between the world map and chase cam, when I accidently hit the space bar and jettisoned my final stage with the rocket and thrusters. Now he's stuck in orbit with no way to get out and I'm going to have to send a rescue crew. This is not going to be easy...

Mindlog

If you guys are looking for cool KSP videos you should check out The Winter Owl's youtube channel.
Totally not surprised that a Kerbal fan also happens to enjoy Silent Hunter. :jeb:

I dun goofed. I was bringing my Kerbalnaut out of orbit using reverse thrust, switching back between the world map and chase cam, when I accidently hit the space bar and jettisoned my final stage with the rocket and thrusters. Now he's stuck in orbit with no way to get out and I'm going to have to send a rescue crew. This is not going to be easy...
So many Kerbans have died at the slip of my finger.

My first mun orbiting mission ended with my command capsule forever alone orbiting Kerban because I accidentally ejected my decent stage. This was before I had the full game.

*I can't bring myself to use MechJEB.

**World collide: I had episode 2 running in the background. Six minutes and fifty seconds in.

Megasoum

Banned

Been there done that hahaha.

I think I'll suggest on the forums they add an option to put some kind of security on some of the decouplers. So you could set some mission critical decoupler to show a pop-up confirmation before doing anything. Would be great to avoid accidents.

chiablo

If anyone is wondering HOW a mun or orbital rescue can be performed... Build a ship using the 3-pilot command pod, before launching send one of the pilots on an EVA. This will leave a spot free for rescue.

Speaking of which, is there an add-on part that acts as just storage for pilots? Like a rescue pod or something.

Flambe

I have a ship I got in orbit. How do I leave that mission and have it still orbit while launching a new rocket? I tried 'end mission' with my last one I did but that erased it completely so I'm wary now...

Been there done that hahaha.

I think I'll suggest on the forums they add an option to put some kind of security on some of the decouplers. So you could set some mission critical decoupler to show a pop-up confirmation before doing anything. Would be great to avoid accidents.

The KSP wiki says Alt-L will "Lock current stage". Not sure if that's what it means but I'll be sure to try it next time.

If anyone is wondering HOW a mun or orbital rescue can be performed... Build a ship using the 3-pilot command pod, before launching send one of the pilots on an EVA. This will leave a spot free for rescue.

I was thinking about doing that, but I've never EVA'ed in Space and don't want to accidently send him drifting off. The orbit of the capsule is really low (about 75km at it's lowest) so I think I'll be able to just bump into it and slow it down enough for the atmosphere to do the rest.

Speaking of which, is there an add-on part that acts as just storage for pilots? Like a rescue pod or something.

I saw one but I can't remember what package it was in.

I have a ship I got in orbit. How do I leave that mission and have it still orbit while launching a new rocket? I tried 'end mission' with my last one I did but that erased it completely so I'm wary now...

You need the full game. If you do you should see an option in the pause menu called "Space Center" which lets you leave to current flight without ending it.

Flambe

You need the full game. If you do you should see an option in the pause menu called "Space Center" which lets you leave to current flight without ending it.

Yep I'm running the full game (though not the very latest patch yet since my autoupdater isn't working.) I see 'Space Centre' as an option when I pause but it's greyed out =[

Chev

Yep I'm running the full game (though not the very latest patch yet since my autoupdater isn't working.) I see 'Space Centre' as an option when I pause but it's greyed out =[

If it's grayed out your ship is still under some sort of acceleration (or something the game considers as such). See if you can warp. If you can, you can also go to space center. Sometimes it's as simple as turning SAS off and on.

I found the mod page and found a moon buggy mod. That's an instant buy for me.

True kerbals build rovers out of stock parts (though you need the landing gear so paid version too).

Then you realize rovers are for chumps and build MOONTRUCKS.

Razek

Banned
I finally got a chance to get into the full game. There are so many parts now. I don't even know where to start or what I want to do first. There is just so much available! I can see myself playing this for at least a few days straight.

Top Bottom