• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program |OT| 1.2 Loud and Clear - Comm Networks, New Fuel Flow and More

zV6T7Qg.png

Check out the full list of features and changes in 1.0 here!
Highlights include new aerodynamics, drag, heating, fairings, and resource mining.
Update 5/1/15: The first hotfix 1.0.1 is now live which fixes some early 1.0 bugs and other minor tweaks. Notes here.
Hotfix 1.0.2 was released later in the day that tweaked an overheating and parachute issue.
Update E3 2015: KSP will be coming to the PS4!!
Update 6/22/2015: First major patch, 1.0.3 is now live. Lots of heat and aero tweaks as well as new radiator parts. Full change log here.
Update 12/4/2015: Update 1.0.5 is now out with some major changes. Full change log here.
Update 2/4/2016: Giantbomb East has been running a KSP video series called, Project B.E.A.S.T where Vinny, Alex, and Austin are trying to get a kerbal to the Mun and back safely. They are currently on episode 8 but I recommend starting from the begninng. It is very entertaining and fun watching them learn about KSP.
Update 4/19/2016: KSP 1.1 is now out! This release is the first to run on Unity 5. Full release notes can be found here.
Update 7/12/2016: KSP is now available on PS4 and XB1
Update 10/12/16: KSP 1.2 Loud and Clear is now available on Steam. Soon to be released on consoles.
HePqyPZ.jpg

Cinematic Trailer for release 1.2

RFGncfk.png

Kerbal Space Program (KSP) is a spaceflight simulator developed by Squad which has officially ended its four year run in early access and is now ready for full 1.0 release on
Windows,Mac OS X, and Linux (and now PS4 and XB1). KSP has large support for game mods and a large community to create them,which developed shortly after the game's start.
Notable members of the space industry have taken an interest in the game. KSP has become a very popular "edutainment" video game, and even offers a special Kerbal Edu version for educators.​

zwVnwnL.png

Release 1.0 marks the end of early access development. It is also one of the biggest and most significant updates to KSP ever. Although this is the completed release of KSP,
it does not mean that development and future releases will stop.
The producer of KSP recently participated in an Reddit AMA and said,
"We have plans to continue updates for the forseeable[sic] future. We won't do DLC, if we ever ask you for even a penny again, it has to be something huge and that adds a lot of gameplay
to the game. We like expansions like Morrowind and Age of Empires II had, not DLC."

For anyone who purchased KSP in early access, the 1.0 update is free. This release is not only exciting because it marks the completion of a successful early access program, but it also adds
some amazing new features to KSP such as an overhauled aerodynamics system, re-entry heat, resource mining, female kerbals, procedural fairings, new parts, and and so much more!
Check out the accompanying changelog for a complete list of changes.There is no better time to jump in to (or return to) KSP than now!​

H414qEh.png

zyfxDQo.png

1.0 Notes Full release notes and change log are available here.
KSP 1.0 has both a sandbox mode as well as an in depth career mode where you start with basic facilities, crew, and rocket parts. From there you accept and attempt to fulfill various contracts
and challenges ranging from space exploration milestones to transporting kerbal tourists across the entire kerbol system. As you progress you will gain experience and reputation for your crew,
unlock new crew abilities,earn money, upgrade your facilities, and accumulate science points
to expand and unlock a vast tech tree of parts and pieces to build almost anything you can imagine.
An overhauled tutorial system will help introduce you to the kerbal basics and set you on the path to pushing your rocket design skills to the limit.

Some minor features in 1.0 are a new UI,storage bays,new space plane wings, landing gear, air intakes, improved joystick mapping, new kerbal abilities, new animations, Track IR support and more.​

FOtVH6Z.png

Previous updates added the Asteroid Redirect Missions (ARM) which were created with the help of NASA. Both NASA and ESA logos are available for use in game on your flags and craft.
Moreover, as of 1.0, not only can you capture and redirect asteroids, you can now mine them for resources. Early updates in partnership with NASA also added several new extra-large rocket parts,
modeled after NASA’s new SLS rocket systems. Even bigger engines and parts have been added since then.
You can now build bigger than ever!​
iHCyxcb.png

JdLeR08.png

KSP can be purchased through the official website or on Steam and GOG. It is available for PC, MAC and Linux.
A new playable demo is will be available upon the release of KSP 1.0. I recommend jumping right in and buying the game. KSP has been incredible for several years now, but with the official full release, there are no more excuses.
As with any new release of KSP, the huge amount of mods you can install will take some time to update. Typically this doesn't take very long as the KSP modding community is one of the best.​

sVmuS5u.png

KSP beginners and experts alike, I highly recommend watching this Scott Manley video on the basics of launching a rocket to orbit (unless you want to figure it all out on your own, which is rewarding if you have lots of patience
or understand orbital mechanics). For the beginners it is a fantastic walk through, for the KSP experts, it points out how you now have to follow a more realistic launch profile with the new aero and drag model. No more gravity turn @ 10km.
Don't waste that precious delta-V with old habits!

Still exploding? Don’t worry, failure is half the fun of playing KSP (The explosions are bigger and better than ever too). When you do finally succeed it can be one of the most rewarding experiences in gaming.
It will also likely change the way you perceive and understand the history and future of space travel. This XKCD comic perfectly sums it up,
m3scSiO.png

However, a few tutorials never hurt. The in-game tutorials have been updated and should help new players learn the ropes.
For more in-depth tutorials, new players should visit the KSP forums and look up YouTube videos. I recommend Scott Manley’s tutorial videos.

3LpfR67.png

Did I forget to mention KSP now has a crazy in depth career mode? If recreating the Apollo program or exploring the reaches of outer space in rocket ships lose its thrill, why not build an interplanetary
tour bus and shuttle around a bunch of wealthy kerbals for lots of experience, science and money. Better yet, do what Mars One wishes it could do and build a base on Duna and mine resources
to expand your total domination of the kerbol system.

Whether you want to build your space program from the ground up in Career Mode, or push your computer's CPU to its limit with 800 part ships in Sandbox mode,
KSP offers endless possibilities. Everything from sky-cranes big enough to land aircraft carriers on Laythe, to flame throwing mechs, to space ship launching catapults have been built in KSP.
If you can dream it, you can build it and (attempt to) fly it.

The KSP, "Build Fly Dream" trailer is still one of the best to date. It perfectly captures the scope of KSP.

UxjajhX.png

Portals and Forums
Kerbal Space Program Wiki - Get detailed descriptions of every KSP part and other helpful information on everything KSP
Kerbal Space Program Forums - This is the nexus of the KSP community. Players share mods, ship plans, even artwork and fan-fic, yes there is Jeb fan-fic.
Mod and Add-On Portal - The KSP Spaceport recently moved over to a new host, Curse. This is where you can pick and choose from the plethora of mods and add on content to download for KSP.

Social Media and Video
KSP Twitter - Follow the offical KSP Twitter feed for the latest updates
KSP Facebook Page - Follow/Like KSP on Facebook
KSP YouTube Channel - The official YouTube channel for KSP
KSPTV on Twitch.com - The official twitch channel for KSP

KSP Tools and Calculators
Interactive Planetary Phase and Ejection Angle Calculator - Interactive calculator to help you plan optimal phase and ejection angles
Interactive delta-V Calculator and Map - Interactive calculator and map to give you the delta-V required for space travel
Mass Optimal Engine Charts - A series of charts that shows the mass-optimal type of engine or solid rocket booster to use for a given payload mass and delta-V.
Kerbin Landing Chart - This chart helps you consistently land at or near KSC. This is now more important than ever to maximize vessel recovery funds.

Reviews:
PC Gamer - 96 "Most of all, though, it's brilliant because it holds a mirror up to one of humanity's greatest achievements, and only does so when you have the greatest possible appreciation for the skill, dedication and courage involved. It's a rare and wonderful game, and deserves the strongest possible recommendation."
Washington Post "'Kerbal Space Program' is a miracle, a game that engenders wonder at its scale and awe for its complexity. It has all of the true grandeur of a masterwork."
Eurogamer "An essential sandbox for anyone with an interest in space, rocketry, or explosions."
Giantbomb Quick Look with Vinny and Alex

The Kerbol System (not to scale, image credit to lonesentry)
wEVjAWe.png

The "Immortals" Bill, Jeb, and Bob
GW7mPIJ.png

NeoGAF KSP Flags
Your kerbals can plant flags on any celestial surface. Be sure to represent GAF while exploring the far reaches of the kerbol system. Feel free to post your own submissions
in the thread and I will include them in the OT. The only restrictions are the image be a 256x160 .png file. From there you just copy them to the flag folder of your KSP installation directory (..\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Flags).

By Mengy
xanZSER.jpg

By gutterboy44
75owXOo.png
zlTfVmA.png
AlwQEEN.png

Screenshots
ci3lcWH.png
X2poowx.png

Rg6amHt.png
WwclgG2.png

de1irium

Wow, finally 1.0 ... will have to give the new demo another look. Tried it out way back when, but couldn't wrap my head around it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Ah this drops today right? We have a time frame?

Just loaded up my old save, I have jeb stranded on mun :(

Wait, there's an updated UI in 1.0? Does it add any kind of scaling for higher resolution screens?

The UI had been scalable for several releases. There is a slider in the gfx options.

Edit: might have been limited to NAV Ball size. Pretty sure all the UI size is easily mod able. Will have to confirm when I am back at my PC.

Jimrpg

Great OT and those 1.0 updates look great.

Hope the career mode teaches novices like me how to build a ship and pilot it. Scott Manleys videos are great but it's a bit fiddly to go back and forth between video and the game.

Yay! I played the game for a couple of hours some time ago and only got into earth's orbit so maybe I should get to the Mun and beyond when 1.0 is out.

epmode

The UI had been scalable for several releases. There is a slider in the gfx options.

Edit: might have been limited to NAV Ball size. Pretty sure all the UI size is easily mod able. Will have to confirm when I am back at my PC.

Yeah, it only works on the nav ball. Full UI scaling is typically not something that can be modded into a game but if someone took the time to redo the menus for 1600p screens, I'd appreciate a link.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Great OT. Hope the website migration finishes soon. Hoping to give 1.0 a spin tonight, but it's 9pm here and I remember downloads from the ksp site taking an age.

Hope the career mode teaches novices like me how to build a ship and pilot it. Scott Manleys videos are great but it's a bit fiddly to go back and forth between video and the game.

The tutorials will teach you the basics. As of .90, they weren't perfect, but they'll teach you how to achieve orbit and how to build a basic craft. Other than that, a lot of practice makes (near) perfect.

Cirruss

I look forward to finally playing this again. I remember enjoying the free version ages ago, when all you could do was launch and orbit the earth (I don't think the moon was even in at the time).

The OP says that its available on GOG, but I can't seem to find it there?

I look forward to finally playing this again. I remember enjoying the free version ages ago, when all you could do was launch and orbit the earth (I don't think the moon was even in at the time).

The OP says that its available on GOG, but I can't seem to find it there?

It will appear after 1.0 launches. This will be the first time the game has been available on GOG. I will add a note in the OT to specify that.

Can't believe it's here, I came across it in 2011. I've put so many hours into this so far and I don't see that changing. The game has evolved so much since I first discovered it looking back and definitely one of my favourite games that I went on the alpha/beta ride on.

Anyone know what time 1.0 drops?

Sijil

Did they ever add the ability to plan mission course and trajectory before launch? That was one my nitpicks, that I was forced to plan the mission courses while I was mobile.

The producer of KSP did an AMA on Reddit ahead of the 1.0 launch. Some great questions and answers.

I added this quote to the OT that I am sure many of you will be very happy to hear.

We have plans to continue updates for the forseeable future. We won't do DLC, if we ever ask you for even a penny again, it has to be something huge and that adds a lot of gameplay to the game. We like expansions like Morrowind and Age of Empires II had, not DLC.

Did they ever add the ability to plan mission course and trajectory before launch? That was one my nitpicks, that I was forced to plan the mission courses while I was mobile.

That is a good question. You can plan a series of maneuver nodes and I think either 1.0 or a previous release added the ability to create maneuver nodes when still in the atmosphere. It is hard to check on some of these things with the server migration that also includes the wiki. I know the popular mod Mech Jeb adds a ton of navigation, planning and piloting features. As with all the mods, you will probably have to wait a while for them to update to the new release.

Lovely OT. I guess we'll be in this thread until the next major release

Thanks. I am hoping the 1.0 release get's the KSP GAF community going again. I know a lot of people first bought KSP back between .16 and .19 when it was getting a lot of early attention. I imagine a lot of people held off for the full release. Personally, I look forward to finally completing the entire tech tree in career mode. I also need to check out this new asteroid belt around Dres that was revealed on one of the 1.0 Twitch streams.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nice OT, always was a huge fan of this titles concept, but way out of my skill range. Though always love watching the vids by people who do and dont know what they are doing. :D

Great OT! I can't believe ksp is finally going 1.0

This is by far my most played game in the steam library, and my go to game if I don't know what to play or just want to chill out.
Can't wait to see everything that's in the new update.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I tried building rockets in the sandbox mode and could never get them to launch, despite doing the tutorial. :/ It seemed like doing any mixing of non-same parts made the game not want to let me lift off or something. Well, that and doing two-three stages and fumbling about with the stage/gas break-offs that the tutorial never mentioned.

Does 1.0 fix this for those of us that don't care about the "career mode" or landing on the moon and just want to launch rockets/ships?

Sijil

Bought this a few months ago, still never made it to the Mun in ~9 hours. ;-;

Don't give up, it took me 50 hours to mount a successful return trip to Mun. 20 hours to send a rover. But the minute I landed that rover on Mun and the slow serene music kicked in, it was more than worth it, probably my biggest gaming related sense of achievement ever.

Itching to play this again, the new aero looks amazing and fun to mess with. I'm terrible at making space shuttles so I stick to having fun with planes and low orbit stuff.

Itching to play this again, the new aero looks amazing and fun to mess with. I'm terrible at making space shuttles so I stick to having fun with planes and low orbit stuff.

The new aero makes the planes so much faster now at lower altitudes. It looks awesome. I always wanted to fly fast and low around Kerbin with planes but you could only hit the bad ass speeds in the upper atmosphere. Gonna have to fly around the world non stop at some point. Space planes are really satisfying to fly, when you maximize your ascent just right and get as much speed and altitude out of your air breathing engines before kicking in rockets to get in to orbit. Just yet another thing that KSP made me appreciate about real world feats such as the U-2 and SR71. High altitude, super sonic flight is so much more complicated than just gunning it and going as high as you can. Flame outs are a bitch.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

Speaking of space shuttles, after a few months of failing to get one of mine to make it to orbit, I finally relented and downloaded an awesome shuttle someone else made. This thing was amazing. The craft was so finely tuned, all you had to do on the way to apoapsis was stage. While I'd have liked a more hands on approach (I've dreamed of piloting the shuttle ever since I was a child), the actual shuttle itself was mostly automated on launch, so extra points for realism.

Hope the thing still works in 1.0. It will be integral to the construction of my new space station and the ferrying of crew to and from it. Plus, despite the real shuttle's inability to leave LEO, I'd like to take a shuttle on a tour of the Kerbin system, even though that would mean putting a bunch of orange tanks out there, orbiting all the planets.

Speaking of space shuttles, after a few months of failing to get one of mine to make it to orbit, I finally relented and downloaded an awesome shuttle someone else made. This thing was amazing. The craft was so finely tuned, all you had to do on the way to apoapsis was stage. While I'd have liked a more hands on approach (I've dreamed of piloting the shuttle ever since I was a child), the actual shuttle itself was mostly automated on launch, so extra points for realism.

Hope the thing still works in 1.0. It will be integral to the construction of my new space station and the ferrying of crew to and from it. Plus, despite the real shuttle's inability to leave LEO, I'd like to take a shuttle on a tour of the Kerbin system, even though that would mean putting a bunch of orange tanks out there, orbiting all the planets.

Any pre 1.0 save or craft is likely not going to work. However, the creator of that shuttle could very well update it and re-release it for 1.0. Building shuttles is much easier now since they added all the new Mk2, Mk3 parts and cargo bays. You can now build a shuttle with only an handful of stock parts opposed to carefully crafting something that resembles a shuttle out of tons of smaller parts. I could never get the hang of building a shuttle either but in .90 it was pretty easy and it looks like 1.0 will be even better. There are some nice new wings and plane pieces. The important thing is you have to balance your center of mass and center of thrust, typically by having the shuttle engines in an angle just like the real thing. The updated UI in the vehicle assembly bay make it much easier to get all of that shit lined up.

Anyone know if procedural fairings mod will work with 1.0?

Procedural fairings have been added to the game and are now a stock part. As with any mod after a new release, it will take time for them to be rebuilt for compatibility. Immediately following launch of 1.0, it is safe to assume all mods will be broken. This is a large update with some major changes in fundamental systems.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Any pre 1.0 save or craft is likely not going to work. However, the creator of that shuttle could very well update it and re-release it for 1.0. Building shuttles is much easier now since they added all the new Mk2, Mk3 parts and cargo bays. You can now build a shuttle with only an handful of stock parts opposed to carefully crafting something that resembles a shuttle out of tons of smaller parts.

I was kind of hoping that the shuttle would still work as it was made using stock parts in .90. That thing was a finely crafted machine. It would even do it's own gravity turn, presumably due to carefully balanced fuel levels. Perhaps with a bit more work from the player, it could still make it to orbit? I guess we'll see when we get our hands on 1.0. Failing that, I'm sure the creator will update it for 1.0 as they obviously put in a lot of effort (quite recently, I may add) to make the thing and it would be a shame for it not to get updated.

I could never get the hang of building a shuttle either but in .90 it was pretty easy and it looks like 1.0 will be even better. There are some nice new wings and plane pieces. The important thing is you have to balance your center of mass and center of thrust, typically by having the shuttle engines in an angle just like the real thing. The updated UI in the vehicle assembly bay make it much easier to get all of that shit lined up.

Yeah, I still hope I can eventually make my own. As good as the one I've been using is (and it's probably far better than one i could make), I've always loved the space shuttle and I would love to make my own just for the satisfaction.

Although with the new parts, we may see even better community made shuttles. Oh, and the mk3 cockpit view is another nice addition for us shuttle lovers.

I was kind of hoping that the shuttle would still work as it was made using stock parts in .90. That thing was a finely crafted machine. It would even do it's own gravity turn, presumably due to carefully balanced fuel levels. Perhaps with a bit more work from the player, it could still make it to orbit? I guess we'll see when we get our hands on 1.0. Failing that, I'm sure the creator will update it for 1.0 as they obviously put in a lot of effort (quite recently, I may add) to make the thing and it would be a shame for it not to get updated.

Yeah, I still hope I can eventually make my own. As good as the one I've been using is (and it's probably far better than one i could make), I've always loved the space shuttle and I would love to make my own just for the satisfaction.

Although with the new parts, we may see even better community made shuttles. Oh, and the mk3 cockpit view is another nice addition for us shuttle lovers.

If it was doing its own gravity turn, then it likely had the thrust levels perfectly set across different engines and boosters. Sounds pretty awesome. The new aero and engine ISP would completely throw off that balance, but if they built and tuned it in .90 then I see no reason that person couldn't do it again in 1.0.

The Track IR support with the cockpit views looks amazing. I can't wait for VR support down the road :)

Morat

Banned
Great OT, glad to see the KSP love. Its amazing how many hours I've spent on the game despite never getting any further than Minmus (excepting some unlucky Kerbals trapped eternally orbiting the sun in massively eccentric orbits)

Sijil

Procedural fairings have been added to the game and are now a stock part. As with any mod after a new release, it will take time for them to be rebuilt for compatibility. Immediately following launch of 1.0, it is safe to assume all mods will be broken. This is a large update with some major changes in fundamental systems.

Ah ok thanks, saves me from downloading the mod then, since you're in the know can you recommend an easy tutorial for orbital rendezvous and docking? It's the only thing i've yet to achieve after landing on mun and placing a sat in orbit.

Ah ok thanks, saves me from downloading the mod then, since you're in the know can yoi recommend an easy tutorial for orbital rendezvous and docking? It's the only thing i've yet to achieve after landing on mun and placing a sat in orbit.

I always recommend Scott Manley videos, but his docking tutorial is over a year old now and some new control features have been added to KSP since then to make it a little easier. You can always watch his video for the basic concepts but a quick search for a more recent tutorial brought this video up. Seems pretty good from a quick skim view.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Woot! I'll be starting a brand new 1.0 career mode tonight! I have over 80 hours played with KSP but I've never been past the Minmus orbit yet, I've spent way too much time building rockets and experimenting with designs. So much damn fun, but now it's time to do some real science and run a space agency!

I wonder how many Kerbals I'm going to kill learning how to survive re-entry now that heat is added? lol

A 1.0 streamer on KSPTV was able to use a shuttle he built with stock parts in 9.0 in 1.0 without much fuss. It seems to fly even better according to him. So as long as ships were stock and not reliant on mods for parts for control, it might work without any issue.

nice!

When I think back to when I first started playing this game it was a rather low version, happy to finally see the game as 1.0 after so long.

Top Bottom