• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program |OT| 1.2 Loud and Clear - Comm Networks, New Fuel Flow and More

Woorloog

Banned
So, i took a long break from KSP, and i've been basically re-learning the game. Not to mention configuring mods, final list contains 66 mods, mostly quality of life things with MKS and related mods being the only real additions).

Anyway, it is time to send Jeb to the Mun.

For this, i created an Apollo/Saturn-like system, though only for one Kerbal as i am limited to the tech tier costing 90 science, hopefully my Mun landing will get me enough science to construct a larger lander and rocket.

First, the Command and Service Module, or CAMS for short. No, the acronym is not correct, but that's Kerbal for you.
kyf99uU.png

Command module is a simple Mk1 pod with a docking port and heat shield. I use drogue chutes for size reasons, radial parachutes are too large.
The service module contains communications, batteries and RCS systems, and houses a probe unit for remote control should i send non-pilot Kerbals to the Mun.

Second, the Munar Landing Vehicle, or MLV. (Note the KER display is set to Kerbin mode, it has far more TWR on Mun.)
zQhlhP2.png

While my system is Apollo-like, it is not identical. In this case, the lander is one-stage system rather than two-stage system like the real Lunar Module was.
Science payload is pretty small with only two Mystery Goo containers, but i don't have any other lightweight experiments available that i haven't done already. My probes have measured temperatures and pressure already.

Third, the Jool I carrier rocket.
LPdAeR9.png

The payload section is empty in the pic and lacks the launch escape system. I don't really need a LES since i tend to revert bad launches but i do design abort modes out of principle.

The MLV goes first in the fairing, and the CAMS on top of it. Once i orbit the Mun, i will detach the CAMS, flip it around, dock it to the MLV and detach it from the payload section.

I don't know how the mission will go. I've sent probes to the Mun but i haven't done a return mission so far. Basically, Jeb will be testing the rocket (i did a quick test to verify it can get to Kerbin low orbit with the payload but that's all...), the Mun vehicles and return process.

EDIT And the first launch was a catastrophe. I forgot to detach the fairing and the LES earlier, so i did that at 45 klicks. Only, something went wrong and the LES didn't decouple, and manual decoupling caused it to smash a solar panel from the MLV and the LES then proceeded to smash the main engine...

EDIT2 As i am orbiting Mun, i realize i have way, way too much Delta-V. Wasteful. The entire third stage of Jool I is unused so far. Oh, well, at least i won't have any trouble getting back to Kerbin.

Crispy75

I forgot to detach the fairing and the LES earlier, so i did that at 45 klicks. Only, something went wrong and the LES didn't decouple, and manual decoupling caused it to smash a solar panel from the MLV and the LES then proceeded to smash the main engine.

THIS IS KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM

Woorloog

Banned
Certainly is.

My Mun visit hasn't been going that well. Like, my MLV apparently didn't have quite enough DV... Because i haven't been practicing orbital rendezvous. I know the theory but that doesn't mean much. This tutorial is invaluable for this: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.co...-illustrated-tutorial-for-orbital-rendezvous/

I did get back to the CAMS eventually. Now it is the return trip. Probably going to be the most dangerous part of the trip, due to aerobraking...

EDIT Ooh shite... Coming in way too hot, not sure if the heat shield will protect the capsule...

Either way, lessons learned:
-More efficient rocket design needed. Means more testing, not just looking at theoretical numbers.
-Multi-Kerbal projects over single-Kerbal projects. My remote control was useless as the ship didn't connect to Kerbin (i run the game without additional ground stations, and i haven't constructed a geosync sat network yet, and my low orbit sats are rather weak apparently).
-Try to land in an biome border so that i can gather a bit more science in one trip.
-Bring more science instruments.

Should i design a rocket around its delta V in vacuum? Because DV in atmosphere is always very different, and as it is, an entire stage went unused as i looked a lot at the atmospheric DV numbers. Makes me wonder, are DV numbers (such as in DV map for Kerbol system) given as vacuum numbers?

Woorloog

Banned
Jeb's back.
Now, to unlock more tech and build a bigger rocket and take a three Kerbal crew to the Mun. Also need to build that sat network and start constructing a space station. And one on the Mun as well, because why not?

jotun?

Should i design a rocket around its delta V in vacuum? Because DV in atmosphere is always very different, and as it is, an entire stage went unused as i looked a lot at the atmospheric DV numbers. Makes me wonder, are DV numbers (such as in DV map for Kerbol system) given as vacuum numbers?
Yes, the vast majority of your flight will either be in vacuum or closer to vacuum ISP than sea level ISP. If you ever watch the right-click popup on your engines during an ascent, you get up near your vacuum ISP pretty quickly

Woorloog

Banned
Sigh, conducting an orbital rendezvous over the Mun... and i got a solar eclipse. The Mun is completely black, no light whatsoever. And naturally my satellite is solar-powered.

Woorloog

Banned
Space Station Alpha is finalized for now. (I really couldn't think of any reasonable name.) May get some extra lab modules eventually, depending on contracts.

Rightmost thing is a ST/UV, or Space Tug/Utility Vehicle, basically an Apollo-CM-like spacecraft. Doubles as an escape pod. Not quite ideal, relies too much on RCS for moving modules from carrier rockets. My original design massed so much i can't yet build a rocket that could have brought it to orbit.
Next is a space lab from... Orbital Sciences mod? Can't recall. Then standard space lab.
The hitchhiker container habitat links to a Nom-o-matic from USI Life Support and a recycler module. The other thing is just an access way, equipped with cupolas from USI LS.
Then the command habitat, it links to an early life-support tunnel and an electric supply tunnel.

Orbital construction is difficult. 200 km orbit is reasonable, as orbital rendevouz from 75-80 klicks is relatively easy and fast, but docking still takes a lot of time and care. Fortunately i didn't cause any accidents though it was close at times. Solar arrays have larger hitboxes than it looks...

I probably should make more use of Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) mod. It is a game changer, as i noticed during a supply run. I could remove supply packs from my supply ship and attach them to the space station. Whoah. And it can apparently do a lot more... Need to experiment with it.

Woorloog

Banned
While doing an EVA on my space station, i managed to cause a Kerbal moment. I accidentally slammed into a solar panel, whose pieces then smashed two more solar panels... This was highly unfortunate as the station's a bit starved for electricity as it is.

The actual reason for doing EVA was a bit Kerbal as well. I flew to my station and realized my rocket's docking port was wrong type (too small). The EVA's purpose was to remove a docking port from the station, attach it to my rocket, and then then dock the rocket, and remove the port once i was finished with my task. It was successful, fortunately.
KIS is awesome mod for allowing for stuff like this.

Also did this, custom service bay:
aV8TnSp.png

Standard 2.5m service bays weren't quite suitable for my purposes, as attaching them to the command pod requires a large decoupler which is too tall, and neither it nor the heat shield's integral fairing don't allow attaching stuff to their surfaces at critical locations for my spacecraft.
So, i built a rather complex custom service bay from an unstaged fairing, and a staged docking port. Small structural girders from a mod allowed offsetting RCS, solar panels and navigation lights (also from a mod) for perfect placement. Inside, there are batteries, supply tank from USI LS and monoprop tanks.

The end result, though not quite visible in my screenshot, is a very smooth looking service module. The navigation lights and the solar panel arrangement are inspired by SpaceX's Dragon.

Standard service bay compares favorably in mass and lacks complexity of this custom bay though.
And now that i think of this, merely using the off-set tool probably would've been enough to get the RCS etc. placed perfectly...

Woorloog

Banned
Patch 1.3.1 live.
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/166184-kerbal-space-program-131-is-live/

Mostly bug fixes, doesn't seem to have anything really noteful.

Code:
=================================== v1.3.1 ============================================================
+++ Localization
* Localization Texts updated.
* KSPedia Localization texts and graphics updated.
* Fix KerbNet localization strings.
* Fix Number and time displays for localization.
* Fix Lingoona library for Ubuntu Linux.
* Localization Performance improvements.
* Fix localization of Tutorials and Scenarios.
* Fix localization of planet names in Science Reports.
* Resource names on Mining contracts localized.
* Removed lingoona Gender tags on Biome filters in RnD archives screen.
* Texture update opening scene for Chinese.
* Fix Profanity filter for Kerbal Names in Russian.
* Fix Custom Category filters in SPH/VAB and localized some missing texts.
* Fix tooltip for custom Category filters.
* Fix incorrect text on engineer report for Antenna check.
* Fix RnD archive biome filter for mini biomes showing lingoona gender tags.
* Fix failed file deletion message when overwriting saves.
* Fix grammar To the Mun P2 Tutorial for English.
* Fix keyboard layouts overwriting EVA Light key from ‘U’ to ‘L’. Now U in all cases and G for Dvorak.
* Fix key binding display on settings input dialog.
* Fix locked facility dialog headings.
* Fix format of MET display all languages.
* Fix Flag naming dialog text positioning.
* Add noun gender indicators to resource names in Russian.
* Add localization for shielded parts PAWs in stock saves.
* Fix Keyboard layout confirmation dialog to show correct punctuation keys when binding. A reset may be required for exisiting custom layouts.
* Fix labels on settings menu for languages to fit.
* Fix use of Lastly (all languages) for contract parameters.
* Fix Engineers Report text alignment all languages.
* Log Celestial Body periods in English in the game logs.
* Fix punctuation position on Japanese and Chinese fonts.
+++ Enhancements
* Default setting for NavBall in Mapmode (default is not to autohide).
* Default throttle setting to 0%.
* Add ability to tweak endpoints of symmetry struts and fuel lines.
* Improvements to symmetry tweaking in the editor scenes.
* Add game clock to all KSC Facility Menus.
* Game clock in all screens now shows the time in Gray when time is paused.
* Add action groups for wheel motors and wheel steering.
* Add the shadow fade fix from KSC scene to the editor scenes.
* Change the near clipping pane on game camera so it doesn’t clip when zoomed in as much.
* Add ‘Control from here’ to External Seat.
* Add action group for ‘Control from here’ to ModuleCommand and ModuleDockingNode, External Seat and Grapple.
* Exclude wheels from part recovery contracts as some are too hard to grapple.
+++ Bug fixes
* Fix the deploy/retract actions not showing for drills on custom action groups.
* Fix UT/MET display in flight.
* Fix control command persistence when changing to map view.
* Fix delta time Part Thermal Flux calculations.
* Timewarp indicator in all screens now shows no green arrows when time is paused.
* Fix MK3 size 2 adapter collider.
* Fix issue with compound parts inside fairings causing launched vessels to explode.
* Change Settings UI text alignments to be centered.
* Fix texture on VAB level 3 floor near the outer door.
* FIx the tweakable end of compound parts not getting mirrored when moved.
* Fix an incorrect text when a station contract gets completed.
* Fix the toggles in the UI at the Main Menu stretching as much as they could.
* Fix Flag on Sentinel Telescope Icon in VAB/SPH.
* Fix Sun (stepping) movement in Flight whilst retaining sun shadows fix.
* Fix opacity issue in editor scenes for unconnected parts.
* Jetpack translation is no longer affected when an EVA Kerbal’s PAW is open and being dragged.
* Kerbals can no longer EVA from inside fairings (but can from interstage fairings) to avoid exploding vessels.
* Fix quicksaveload dialog when enter is used in the filename input box.
* Fix Grab interaction msg for EVA kerbals when ladders are retracted.
* Fix NREs on craft thumbnail creation - added filename sanitizing.
* Fix Part highlighting in VAB/SPH interacting with Light Animations on parts.
* Fix destructible building on Tracking Station Level 2 dish.
* Fix Part highlighting for new and dropped parts in VAB/SPH.
* Replace TrackIR with new implementation.
* Fix Flight camera issues when active vessel crashes into the ground.
* Fix Destructible Building error messages in log.
* Disable Save on PauseMenu when active vessel is dead to avoid invalid save files.
* Shadow tweak on buildings in KSC scene.
* Fix issue with being able to add maneuver nodes to vessels without control.
* Remove ability to create maneuver nodes with EVA Kerbals.
* Fix an issue where an atmospheric resource harvester would not properly activate.
* Fix Loading Scene picture swapping feature.
* Fix Grass texture on level 3 RnD building.
* Fix MPL cleaning experiments screen messages.
* Fix Restart Warning text on main Settings Screen.
* Fix Cannot Deploy while stowed messages.
* Fix "Toggle Display" button on scientific devices.
* Fix floor decal alignment level 2 SPH.
* Fix Difficulty settings dialog height for all tabs.
* Fix icon visuals on Contracts App when pausing during flight.
* Fix empty craft name save expection in VAB/SPH.
* Fix Tour contract kerbal gender log messages.
* Fix RnD Archives Biome filtering.
* Fix rotate and offset on compount parts in VAB/SPH.
* Fix drill action groups.
* Fix drill disable and mining when lost ground contact.
* Improve vessel ground collision checks for landed vessels coming off rails (includes recovery contract parts that are landed).
* Reduce stutter when flying fast and low over a planet.
* Fix kerbal heading calculations - fixes swimming animation jitters.
* Fix Duna Rock allows kerbals to climb and plant flags (no more ragdoll).
* Turn on Goliath and Wheesley Exhaust damage.
* Fix fairing shader not set correctly and overlaying engine FX.
* Fix external command seat ejection.
* Fix PAW actions and events ordering on pinned PAWs.
* Fix NRE on Navball in IVA when doing scenarios and training.
* Fix black line low over terrain (unfortunately re-introduces green line low over ocean).
* Fix presence of .DS_Store file no longer marks save games as modded.
+++ Modding
* Restore CelestialBody.theName methods (marked as deprecated).
* Fix Part Filter category names capitalization for mods.
* Add property to CustomParameterUI to support Localization.
* ModuleDeployablePart now finds all animations.
* CelestialBody GetRelSurfacePosition now calling correct methods.

Last word was that mods probably should be compatible.

Top Bottom