• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kermit the Frog performer Steve Whitmire leaves the Muppets after 27 years

Camjo-Z

After 27 years, Steve Whitmire will no longer be the voice of Kermit the Frog, a Muppets Studio spokeswoman confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Whitmire took over the role of the beloved Muppet frog after character creator Jim Henson died in 1990. He was picked by Henson's son, Brian, to take over the character, according to the online magazine Kill Screen.

Muppets performer Matt Vogel will take over as Kermit the Frog. His first time as the character will be in a “Muppets Thought of the Week” video next week, the spokeswoman confirmed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/longtime-kermit-frog-voice-actor-replaced-27-years-1019780

Jim Henson can never be topped but Steve Whitmire did a damn good job of filling his shoes, hopefully the next Kermit is just as great.

Platy

Those are some big shoes to fill, no pressure Matt =P

Also, for people coming here, it is good to remember that Henson company has a strict ONE PERFORMER FOR EACH PUPPET so that it is always the same acting, which is a very unique idea for puppet companies.

I only realized this as an adult, but most of my exposure to Kermit and The Muppets in general as a kid where from Whitmore's run as the character. Dude had a pretty good run.

Cheebo

Banned
Matt Vogel is most "well known" to be the performer taking over Big Bird & Oscar the Grouch on Sesame Street for the past few years as the initial performer of Big Bird & Oscar has been slowly stepping back into retirement as note. So Matt Vogel has a lot of big name characters to make his own of late.

As for Steve you may know him as the sole performer of these characters (he has been with the Muppets since The Muppet Show with his own characters):

Rizzo:
rizzo-the-rat-muppets-most-wanted-47.1.jpg

Wembley Fraggle:
425.fraggle.lc.110111.jpg

Steve Whitemire has been Ernie for the past 27 since Henson's passing as well.

Camjo-Z

Thought this deserved a bump after it turns out he didn't leave of his own accord.

"For me the Muppets are not just a job, or a career, or even a passion. They are a calling, an urgent, undeniable, impossible to resist way of life. This is my life's work since I was 19 years old. I feel that I am at the top of my game, and I want all of you who love the Muppets to know that I would never consider abandoning Kermit or any of the others because to do so would be to forsake the assignment entrusted to me by Jim Henson, my friend and mentor, but even more, my hero.

"As I am sure you can imagine, I have experienced every possible emotion since October 2016, when I received a phone call from The Muppets Studio's executives to say they were recasting. Through a new business representative, I have offered multiple remedies to their two stated issues which had never been mentioned to me prior to that phone call. I wish that we could have sat down, looked each other in the eye, and discussed what was on their minds before they took such a drastic action.

"I have remained silent the last nine months in hopes that the Disney company might reverse their course. Doing what is best for the Muppets is the lens through which all my interactions have been filtered. Given the opportunity I remain willing to do whatever is required to remedy their concerns because I feel my continued involvement with the characters is in the best interest of the Muppets."

https://stevewhitmire-muppetpundit.com/2017/07/11/its-time-to-get-things-started/

Guessing there must have been some serious behind the scenes drama for Disney to take such drastic action, but not sure what he could have done to deserve being straight up fired with no warning or chance to address their complaints.

Future

Interesting. Disney is known for taking great care of their character properties in terms of voices. You'd think that they wouldn't change a voice on a whim unless they had to

Sad, but timely, i dont think we are going to see anything new muppet related for a while anyway until it gets a new reboot, that last movie and that weird tv show didnt seem to catch on the way disney hoped it would have. That 2011 movie though was fucking excellent

Guessing there must have been some serious behind the scenes drama for Disney to take such drastic action, but not sure what he could have done to deserve being straight up fired with no warning or chance to address their complaints.

I predict some kind of scandal will break soon. Disney is remarkably family friendly and they'll bend over backwards to maintain that view.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Thought this deserved a bump after it turns out he didn't leave of his own accord.

https://stevewhitmire-muppetpundit.com/2017/07/11/its-time-to-get-things-started/

Wow, fuck Disney if true. I was afraid shit like this was going to go down once they got their hands on The Muppets, but I'm surprised it took this long.

When the last major film flopped with the TV show not long behind, I figured the chopping block would be showing up soon.

so he did not retire, he just left?

He got fired.

People are now wondering what he got fired for.

I wonder if it's just as simple as "He wasn't very good at sounding like Kermit the Frog"

His statements about "letting Kermit down" seem to point in that direction, but that "multiple remedies to their two stated issues" thing is what has people wondering. What were the two stated issues, were the stated issues just pretexts to shitcanning him, were the stated issues BIG issues?

so on and so forth.

Man, fuck the executives who forced him to leave. I liked his Kermit, sure, but his Rizzo is the best!

Ugh, there must be some kind of reboot/rebranding going on and the execs must want something completely new.

Funny that it's Matt Vogel replacing him. He did Kermit's doppelganger, Constantine in Muppets Most Wanted.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Odd.
Perhaps Disney are recasting in an attempt to make the Muppets more appealing to a modern audience?

Edit: wait, is he fired from the Muppets completely or just no longer cast as Kermit?

Why even mention "a new business representative"? Was the old one part of the problem?

Seems like he's teasing something but is reluctant to go into detail.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Give Ice T a million bucks and he'll shove his hand up a frogs ass and make out with a pig.

Cheerilee

From the looks of it, Steve doesn't normally touch the business side of things. "Talk to my agent." That's exceedingly common in Hollywood.

Steve's agent decided to play chicken with Disney. He made at least two demands that Disney thought were dealbreakers. He thought Disney would blink first (because Steve is obviously very important to them), but Disney didn't blink. Dealbreakers are dealbreakers, so Disney fired Steve.

After being fired, Steve learned why he was fired, so he freaked out and fired his agent and took it upon himself to address Disney's specific complaints.

Disney's response "But we already fired you." It would be bad business for Disney to let Steve's agent play Bad Cop and make take-it-or-leave-it ultimatums, and then after they make the hard decision to reject those ultimatums, Steve steps back in with a new Good Cop agent to request a do-over on the negotiations.

Basically, blame Steve's agent for getting him fired.

Edit: Just to be clear, the above post was me speculating.

He got fired.

People are now wondering what he got fired for.

I wonder if it's just as simple as "He wasn't very good at sounding like Kermit the Frog"

His statements about "letting Kermit down" seem to point in that direction, but that "multiple remedies to their two stated issues" thing is what has people wondering. What were the two stated issues, were the stated issues just pretexts to shitcanning him, were the stated issues BIG issues?

so on and so forth.
That would be weird. Steve has been doing it so long when people think of Kermit's voice they think of Steve's version not Henson's.
although I was born well after Henson had passed so I never really heard his version so it might just be me.

Faiz

That would be weird. Steve has been doing it so long when people think of Kermit's voice they think of Steve's version not Henson's.
although I was born well after Henson had passed so I never really heard his version so it might just be me.

I wouldn't say it's just you, i would think there's a generation or two of people who are right there with you. For me, he never sounded quite right.

But even saying that, I feel he did as well as anyone possibly could have and it's a real shame to see him go.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

As someone who grew up with Henson as Kermit on Sesame Street, then on to The Muppet Show and the first few Muppet movies, I still think of Kermit with Henson's voice. Even after 27 years, it's still jarring to me to hear Steve doing it. Just never sounded "right" to me.

But "not doing Kermit well" is a poor excuse for dismissal after 27 years. There's got to be far more to it than that.

Sonicbug

=( This is not cool. There are so few old guard muppeteers left.
I wonder if it really was contract stuff that fucking messed this all up.

At least there's nothing stopping him from still working with the Henson company on like, Fraggle stuff that might be coming up.

This just makes me wonder how much longer Dave Goelz will bother to stick around. This puts Vogel is a very weird position.

Ogni-XR21

I wonder if we will ever know what really happended behind the scenes, but the theory that his agent got him fired seem like it could be what happened.

Interesting Kermit facts from Germany - Kermit had a different voice on the Muppet Show and Sesame Street. This was very jarring for me as a kid.
The voice actor who did his Sesame Street voice took over for the later movies once the Muppet Show voice actor had died. In May this year he passed away too (he was also the voice actor who did the voice for German dubbed David Hasselhof).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh dear. He was doing a good voice.

From the looks of it, Steve doesn't normally touch the business side of things. "Talk to my agent." That's exceedingly common in Hollywood.

Steve's agent decided to play chicken with Disney. He made at least two demands that Disney thought were dealbreakers. He thought Disney would blink first (because Steve is obviously very important to them), but Disney didn't blink. Dealbreakers are dealbreakers, so Disney fired Steve.

After being fired, Steve learned why he was fired, so he freaked out and fired his agent and took it upon himself to address Disney's specific complaints.

Disney's response "But we already fired you." It would be bad business for Disney to let Steve's agent play Bad Cop and make take-it-or-leave-it ultimatums, and then after they make the hard decision to reject those ultimatums, Steve steps back in with a new Good Cop agent to request a do-over on the negotiations.

Yikes.

I can't seem to understand what is happening here. Here scream seems genuine, so I thought that their seats were connected and maybe he was repositioning underneath or something, but when the lights came up, they were totally disconnected by like 6 inches of space.

It was a gag. She waited for the exact moment Kilborn was in front of them to obstruct the audience's view, because it was physically impossible for kermit to touch her and the joke wouldn't have made sense otherwise. It's like when the power goes out and it's pitch black and someone says "Whose hands are on my tits?" She's just being Sarah Silverman.

That's tragic... Man, I really feel sorry for Steve. :(

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Such a shame :(

Wait, is that what actually happened or is that just spec?

I mean, it's really plausible sounding spec, but I just wanna clarify as to whether that's insider shit being spread around or if it's just a guess.

(It's a damn good guess)

A-V-B

Wow. He did such an excellent, excellent job as Kermit.

I mean, who'd ever think we'd have someone to step in after Jim? And then we did.

So who steps in now? Man this feels weird.

edit: ah Matt Vogel

Cheerilee

Wait, is that what actually happened or is that just spec?

I mean, it's really plausible sounding spec, but I just wanna clarify as to whether that's insider shit being spread around or if it's just a guess.

(It's a damn good guess)

Pure speculation. Just a guess. I have no inside sources.

I only just realized that saying "From the looks of it" at the start of my post made it look like I was looking at something exclusive.

Pure speculation. Just a guess. I have no inside sources.

Good, because with your theoretical explanation it's harder to get really angry at an executive or corporation and we really enjoy doing that in these situations. Only having the performer's statement to go on makes it easier to grab the torches and pitchforks.

Top Bottom