• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kero Blaster |OT| A Frog for all Seasons (from Cave Story creator 'Pixel' Amaya)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is there any chance of this coming to Steam? I don't want to double dip on the same platform.

Nothing to confirm just yet, but do keep in mind that if you buy a game on Playism and we later release it on Steam, you will receive a free Steam key. You won't have to double dip. :)

RM8

Man, just like with Pink Hour the screen goes all grey for me when I choose full screen :(
---

Guys, I made Steam icons :D

JmrrdLN.png

iLLVjwL.png

Tyeforce

I'm not trying to port-beg here, I'm genuinely curious; has Nicalis talked about porting this game to 3DS? I know they're working on bringing another one of Pixel's games to 3DS, too, alongside Cave Story and Ikachan, so it would make sense.

Might download it on my iPhone, I dunno.

Just seen it pop on the UK iOS app store. I'll buy it when I get up in the morning. Should be fun if it's anything like Cave Story.

I'm not trying to port-beg here, I'm genuinely curious; has Nicalis talked about porting this game to 3DS? I know they're working on bringing another one of Pixel's games to 3DS, too, alongside Cave Story and Ikachan, so it would make sense.

Might download it on my iPhone, I dunno.
They did, yes, back when it was called Gero Blaster. You know how it goes with them, though.

Everyone should just buy this everywhere.

Mumford

Really excited to play this. Cave Story quickly won over my heart when I first played it a couple of years ago & it's now one of my favorite games of all time. To be fair, I don't have the same expectations from Kero Blaster for obvious reasons, (more to do with expectations rather than the quality itself) but at the very least I know that it'll be well made.

daydream

Banned

Hm, it's only five minutes long. Guessing you don't want to create an extra account? You could always YT it. I think it's a charming prologue, so definitely worth seeing. :)

(I can't imagine an iOS version being too much extra work. Maybe thetrin could get in contact with Pixel and ask about that?)

duckroll

After buying the bundle, it took like six download attempts before I could successfully download the file. Kept getting a network error mid-download. Playism needs better servers. :p

But now I have it! Yay! Will check it out in a bit. :D

Bleep

I had no problems downloading this thankfully, I played the first couple of levels and it seems cute and fun. The game works with my dual shock 4 without needing to use third party drivers or wrappers and you can adjust the button layout easily without having to switch to using a keyboard.

RM8

It's now on Mexico's App Store. The touch controls are tricky, but I'll get used to them. Not sure if I should finish it first on PC or iOS :p

fek

I didn't know it was releasing already, nice surprise, playing right now and it's pretty good so far.

jman2050

I'm really liking the difficulty curve in this game so far. Doesn't start out overwhelming or intimidating at all, but clearly ramps up quickly once its clear you've mastered the basics.

I can tell that no upgrade runs are going to be downright brutal.

duckroll

Cleared a few stages, I think I got all the weapons and the jetpack so far. It feels really easy compared to Pink Hour though. I hope it's just a curve. The game is really fun in terms of how the weapons handle, and the level design and enemy patterns are really fun. The way they react and make you adjust to how to progress and change weapons around is great, it's just... pretty easy. Maybe it's because I've been playing the shit out of Blackthorne in the past week. Lol.

I've still died a few times here and there, and some of the areas were definitely trickier than others, but I've never gotten a game over yet. It's definitely going to be a really replayable game though, since I can see myself wanting to go through the previous stages again. Hopefully there's a sort of hard mode loop that unlocks after you beat the game? We'll see. Music and graphics are fantastic. <3

Zeranium

Just finished the game, and I really enjoyed it.
Fairly challenging without being unfair -- I can definitely see "no upgrade, no store" runs being pretty tense

After the credits, you'll be asked if you were satisfied with your play. I picked "yes" the first time and the game just ended at the last check point before the final boss. Picking "no" stripped me of my money, sent me back to the 1st stage and turned Kero yellow with 1 heart. I wanna say this is hard mode...?

Fairly challenging without being unfair -- I can definitely see "no upgrade, no store" runs being pretty tense

After the credits, you'll be asked if you were satisfied with your play. I picked "yes" the first time and the game just ended at the last check point before the final boss. Picking "no" stripped me of my money, sent me back to the 1st stage and turned Kero yellow with 1 heart. I wanna say this is hard mode...?
Finished already? How long did you play?

bender

What time is it?

Can't imagine beating the final boss with no upgrades. Really loved the game.

Noogy

Hyped. Cave Story was one of the first big games to really show me that a single person could do it all.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Are you fuckin' kidding me, iPhone only, not releasing a universal app in 2014, not even a (slightly less stupid) iPad "HD" version? Oh, Pixel :(
I'm out, and I was a day1 buyer. That alone should tell you how important it is to support the tablet cornerstone of the iOS market. Seriously, this is so stupid! I'm sooo disappointed, and even a bit pissed :/

He's one guy, but it makes sense to not give him the few dollars that might actually help him add those features. Can't you just play it pixel-doubled in the meantime? I'm sure the graphics scale fine.

This is up on the US App Store now, by the way. I have now purchased it twice. :)

duckroll

Finally got a Game Over on Stage 5. Wooooo. This is more like it. A much longer stage, more emphasis on health management, lots more tricky stuff. Great stuff. :D

leroidys

WHY DOES PINK HOUR HAVE ICE CLIMBERS STYLE PLATFORMS MAN FUCKKKKKKKKKK

EDIT: Just beat it with both endings. Man, getting used to the controls was brutal. Then going for the alternate (good) ending the second time, I did it on the first try lol.

Coconut

Banned
Put in like 20 minutes on my IPhone. The game controls well and currently seems pretty simple feels like it will be something fun to play while I poop. Seems like it won't lend it's self to well as a sit down a play on my PC kind if experience.

Kientin

So I just beat the game twice.
The second time was in new game+ where you get to keep your weapon upgrades. In the end of that there is a
boss rush! are you a bad enough dude to beat my crappy time of 4:50!?

So as I was going through new game+, I came across a weapon called the kuro blaster in I think it was level 3 at the start where you reach an area that you couldn't before with the jetpack. Then in the next level I found an upgrade to it by falling down the hole in the beginning and melting an ice block to the right. Anyone else find any other upgrades to it? Or any secret hard area like the Sacred Grounds in Cave Story?

Not a very long game, but nonetheless I loved it. Music was great, challenge was decent, and the small story was fun. I can see myself coming back to this now and then for a short bit of gaming. One thing I really liked is how all the weapons felt like they had a place. I wasn't sticking with one, but constantly swapping depending on the situation.

catmario

So I just beat the game twice.
The second time was in new game+ where you get to keep your weapon upgrades. In the end of that there is a
boss rush! are you a bad enough dude to beat my crappy time of 4:50!?

So as I was going through new game+, I came across a weapon called the kuro blaster in I think it was level 3 at the start where you reach an area that you couldn't before with the jetpack. Then in the next level I found an upgrade to it by falling down the hole in the beginning and melting an ice block to the right. Anyone else find any other upgrades to it? Or any secret hard area like the Sacred Grounds in Cave Story?

Not a very long game, but nonetheless I loved it. Music was great, challenge was decent, and the small story was fun. I can see myself coming back to this now and then for a short bit of gaming. One thing I really liked is how all the weapons felt like they had a place. I wasn't sticking with one, but constantly swapping depending on the situation.

How to activate new game +? I can't find on main menu.

LeleSocho

Banned
How to activate new game +? I can't find on main menu.

answer "no" when asked if you liked the game

Well that was indeed short, still nice nonetheless.
I have a curiosity now... pheraps i'm hallucinating but didn't the game's story when it was announced the very first time about Gero/Kero's girlfriend being kidnapped by aliens and Gero/Kero had to save her?

duckroll

Gero Blaster isn't the same game as Kero Blaster. It uses the same character, gameplay design concept, and a lot of the assets, but it was a game Pixel was developing on his own and I don't think he liked how it was turning out so he delayed and scrapped it. Kero Blaster seems to be the result of him collaborating with another designer - a Kiyoko Kawanaka, and it was remade from ground up in about a year. She's responsible for the level design for the entire game, while Pixel worked on the coding, graphics, sound, etc.

The old trailer for Gero Blaster can still be found on Youtube, and it's very different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op8FRV-hyO4

LeleSocho

Banned
Gero Blaster isn't the same game as Kero Blaster. It uses the same character, gameplay design concept, and a lot of the assets, but it was a game Pixel was developing on his own and I don't think he liked how it was turning out so he delayed and scrapped it. Kero Blaster seems to be the result of him collaborating with another designer - a Kiyoko Kawanaka, and it was remade from ground up in about a year. She's responsible for the level design for the entire game, while Pixel worked on the coding, graphics, sound, etc.

The old trailer for Gero Blaster can still be found on Youtube, and it's very different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op8FRV-hyO4

Oh so i was not wrong, i didn't know that in this year the game changed so much... now i would really like to play that version, it seems more "Cave Storey"

bobawesome

It's on iOS but only for iPhone, no iPad? That's disappointing to hear.
Yes people, I'm aware that I could scale it to fit the iPad's screen but that's always proven to be a less than optimal experience.

duckroll

Cleared the first run of the game. Lots of fun, good bosses, nice levels. It definitely didn't overstay it's welcome or get boring at any point. Considering you keep all your weapon upgrades in NG+, I'm considering not upgrading my hearts to see if I can beat this run with a single heart. Should be fun!
The new secret weapon is pretty neat too!

Top Bottom