• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig 2.0 |OT| You wouldn't download a cup of coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
AQqSy2t.jpg

Keurig 2.0 brewers are releasing in stores Monday, August 25. There are several new features, such as being able to brew a 4-cup carafe of coffee with new K-Carafe Cups, a touch screen, and a customizable night-light in the water reservoir fuck yes.

Most notable is the new DRM "feature" that made headlines, which blocks unlicensed K-Cups because the patent expired in 2012 and why not. The machine will read the lid of the K-Cup and determine if it is genuine. See this feature in action in this CNET video:

http://youtu.be/wiY-RMAeYaA

The lineup of brewers:
dJ8W7Pg.jpg

I will be picking one up on Monday. My current unit is a solo, and I've had it for five years, and I like new shiny things. I scoffed at the price at first, but Costco's deal is legit. Most websites like Target and Walmart have them discounted about $20 from the MSRP. Costco gets you the premium $199 model plus a shitload of K-Cups and four K-Carafe packs thrown in for $149.99:

hYaU1QE.png

And remember, registering a new brewer on Keurig's site gets you a Buy 2 get 2 free offer which is pretty slick.

I'll report back next week with a nighttime shot of my glowing unit. And maybe the brewer.

JqGEwXa.jpg

Notable recently-released K-Cups:

LKQkj6w.jpg

Picked these up from Bed Bath and Beyond over the weekend, and it is about the smoothest cup of coffee I've ever had. I normally prefer bold cups, and go through a 100-pack of the Kirkland Signature Pacific Bold cups (my favorite still) every couple of months.

0SCOyFx.jpg

Haven't been able to find these in store anywhere, but I'm dying to try them. I like their coffee and this seems like a great fit.

kKr1CID.jpg

Do you like Dark Souls, The Darkness, Dark Sector, Dark Void, Dark Cloud, Alone in the Dark, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Dark Summit, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Tekken Dark Resurrection, Risen 2: Dark Waters, Perfect Dark, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, or Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? You might like this coffee.

avgWfQQs.jpg
dkmb7DW.png

http://www.keurig.com/
Community Forum is not affiliated with Keurig Green Mountain, Inc. and is not compatible with Keurig 2.0.

braves01

Banned
Cool product, but the real 2.0 for me will be when the K cups are 100% biodegradable and not so shitty for the environment.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It's genuinely appalling that a coffee maker has DRM and won't allow you to brew any mix you choose. I have a regular Kurig and ordered an empty reusable cartridge for it so I can put my own grounds in it. I hope this fails hard. But I know it won't.

#NOKURIGDRM

Bisonian

I bought a Keurig Vue machine and lets just say... lesson learned when it comes to new generations and Keurig. That thing is a big ol' paperweight.

aceface

So its big new feature is being able to do something any $20 coffee maker can do: brew a pot of coffee. I don't understand Keurig.

RevoDS

That machine sounds terrible for anyone but GMCR shareholders.

Also, what's gonna prevent fake K-cup manufacturers from adding the light ring thing and make them compatible? I can't imagine they'll be able to hold up a trade dress suit over this.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Not trying to sound like an ignorant ass or troll, so I promise... this is a legitimate question.

I love gadgets and high-tech cool things; and can see the allure of one of these things from that point of view; but outside that, what's the benefit of one of these over my coffee maker?

I don't drink coffee at all - yuck, don't like it. But my GF does. And so I bought a Mr. Coffee when she started coming over. Thing was $17. I wash it for 20 seconds after each use, and seven months later, it looks good as new. And a $6 bag of coffee lasts forever. Is it purely a time-saving thing?

Why spend so much more on a Keurig? At work it makes sense - we have a big industrial one, and so it stays clean without maintenance - but boy is it wasteful, lol.

Not trying to sound like an ignorant ass or troll, so I promise... this is a legitimate question.

I love gadgets and high-tech cool things; and can see the allure of one of these things from that point of view; but outside that, what's the benefit of one of these over my coffee maker?

I don't drink coffee at all - yuck, don't like it. But my GF does. And so I bought a Mr. Coffee when she started coming over. Thing was $17. I wash it for 20 seconds after each use, and seven months later, it looks good as new. And a $6 bag of coffee lasts forever. Is it purely a time-saving thing?

Why spend so much more on a Keurig? At work it makes sense - we have a big industrial one, and so it stays clean without maintenance - but boy is it wasteful, lol.
My Revo actually has a frother/steamer, so it's actually a cheap cappuccino and latte maker.

Ultratech

For the most part:
-Yup, it's convenient. Put in a cup, you get a cup. Pretty quick process and you don't waste coffee/water.
-Adjustable size/serving; take out the guesswork!
-Hard to mess up whatever you're making. Granted, it's also hard to do that normally...
-Does way more than just coffee. They got K-Cups for all kinds of stuff like teas and various hot beverages.
-Saves you money? (lol wut? Unless you're brewing a full 12 cups a day or buying crazy expensive coffee, I seriously doubt it.)

I guess if you're a major coffee/hot beverage aficionado (or have the money for it), it's worth it.

If you're like me and just do like ~4 cups of coffee a day, probably not.

Also, I forgot DRM Coffee was a thing. God, that's so silly.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I like my Keurig, but I have old K-Cups and I use one of those aftermarket cuppy things to brew ground coffee, and my wife uses it as a hot water dispenser, so I won't be a customer.

Damaniel

Banned
So its big new feature is being able to do something any $20 coffee maker can do: brew a pot of coffee. I don't understand Keurig.

One word: convenience. There are plenty of people who only drink one or two cups of coffee a day, and K cups are far more convenient than the traditional method of making coffee. That said, I don't use K cups, but nearly everybody else I know who drinks coffee either buys it pre-made from Starbucks or uses K cups.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Keurig coffee is not very good. I've tried so many of the pods and they all have the same weird after taste. I drink it at work because it's all we have and it's free but I would never buy one of these for my home.

For the most part:
-Yup, it's convenient. Put in a cup, you get a cup. Pretty quick process and you don't waste coffee/water.
Why would you wasted coffee and water with a regular coffee maker? In fact pods are more wasteful due to the packaging.
-Adjustable size/serving; take out the guesswork!
OK, that's convenient.
-Hard to mess up whatever you're making. Granted, it's also hard to do that normally...
Yeah, you have to be stupid to ruin a pot of coffee.
-Does way more than just coffee. They got K-Cups for all kinds of stuff like teas and various hot beverages.
I don't understand what's the point of making tea with these machines. You can get a single cup tea infuser for $10, which you can use with whole leaves. Or you can buy teabags...
-Saves you money? (lol wut? Unless you're brewing a full 12 cups a day or buying crazy expensive coffee, I seriously doubt it.)
showmethereceipts.gif

I guess if you're a major coffee/hot beverage aficionado (or have the money for it), it's worth it.
If you are a coffee aficionado, you don't drink brewed coffee, or at least you don't spend money buying a fancy machine for making them.

If you're like me and just do like ~4 cups of coffee a day, probably not.
Drinking that much is bad for you (I also drink that much). :(
Also, I forgot DRM Coffee was a thing. God, that's so silly.
It makes no sense at all. And I don't understand what is the advantage in buying these machines.

My Revo actually has a frother/steamer, so it's actually a cheap cappuccino and latte knockoff maker.
Fixed.

Jonm1010

Banned
I bought one years back. Tried countless k-pods and even tried to use my own coffee in one of those add your own coffee pod(as a side note coffee DRM? WTF!) and it just never produced a good enough cup of coffee. Always weak and most tasted pretty bad. Add onto that the k-cups are typically expensive and it just turned out to be a poor investment.

Long story short it is now a glorified hot water maker(because it reaches a consistent temperature) to use for my Aeropress and my girlfriend for her Trader Joes Chai lattes.

Azulsky

They have a fancy one at work that disposes of the used kcup for you.

Not bad. I dont drink coffee regularly enough to warrant any special coffee hardware.

Mr. Hyde

The tech junkie in me thinks it's cool but the coffee lover in me will stick to my Chemex. It takes a few minutes to make a pot but it has become a meditation for me almost every morning.

don't see the purpose of the 2.0. We have a platinum at work and use it multiple times a day. 2.0 seems like it would be a step back.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can you recycle those little cups? Seems like so much waste.

That was what I was going to ask: Did they finally stop using plastic for these "disposable" cups of coffee?

I mean the idea is nice (hands-free/hassle-free brewing) but the waste of 1 cup/1 cup of coffee ratio just seems too high to be worth it to me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The tech junkie in me thinks it's cool but the coffee lover in me will stick to my Chemex. It takes a few minutes to make a pot but it has become a meditation for me almost every morning.
I'm a mild coffee snob of sorts, and the thing brews a Fucking great cup coffee if you use fresh ground coffee of your choice, in a reusable gold filter cup.

Really excellent. Also valuable to note is that the brewing all happens in the cup, so there's no buildup of flavors from prior brews.

I also like a lot of the prepackaged cups, right now the Hawaiian blend from Tully's is my favorite.

we've had a tassimo for the past...5 years or so, but would be willing to switch to Keurig if there was a latte option-my wife loves the tassimo lattes. I really don't understand why there are k-cups, vue cups and rivo-that seems to be unnecessarily confusing to me.

Rootbeer

Banned
But will the coffee taste as bad as from the 1.0 machines? Cause it's very much not worth the money if yes. I own one so I'll talk down on it all I want. :p

I'll CONSIDER buying one once the drm is bypassed. This is ridiculous. My roomate uses it more than me, but the convenience factor is there for those super rushed days I suppose.

Seriously what is the incentive to upgrade? I guess their only tactic is to discontinue all 1.0 brewers ASAP and hope people replace them overtime with 2.0 machines as they wear down, ensuring they get their hefty cut of all k-cup 2.0 sales.

ameratsu

So it's just as wasteful as older keurig models, which have you throwing out equal parts coffee and plastic each time you brew a cup?

So when you click the small button out of the S/M/L options on the Keurig, is the intensity of the coffee higher since it still uses the whole K-Cup?

psychotron

Shit, here's another machine I'll have to buy. We have a B60, Vue and Rivo. The B60 is starting to show it's age I guess, so this will be a worthy upgrade.

Kemal86

So this wouldn't work with those little cups you fill/refill with your own ground coffee and stick in the Keurig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom