• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig Kold launched today , anyone getting one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use my Sodastream for much the same purpose, as buying carbonated water is generally (cheapest) $1 for 2L and there's no way in hell I can drink all that before it goes flat. Smaller sizes are significantly more expensive per mL.

I think it's about $20 ($35 minus $15 deposit) for a replacement canister, which is reasonable. I either drink it plain, with a splash of flavouring, some sort of syrup (for an Italian soda), or occasionally their Coke Zero knockoff as it's halfway decent in a pinch.

Best of all, no dealing with returning cans or bottles for deposit.

You should try out the Ginger Lemongrass syrup that my gf makes. Real simple. 1 cup sugar 2 cups water, 1 chunk of ginger sliced and some lemongrass sliced. Bring to a boil, let cool and strain out the ginger and lemongrass. We just put it in a plastic squeeze bottle. Delicious and dirt cheap to make. Great with vodka or gin.

I was amazed at how wrong Americans do coffee in my short time there.
Literally cannot buy coffee that bad here, even in a rural petrol station

Also what the fuck is creamer? Like a witch's lactate.

DJ_Lae

You should try out the Ginger Lemongrass syrup that my gf makes. Real simple. 1 cup sugar 2 cups water, 1 chunk of ginger sliced and some lemongrass sliced. Bring to a boil, let cool and strain out the ginger and lemongrass. We just put it in a plastic squeeze bottle. Delicious and dirt cheap to make. Great with vodka or gin.

That sounds really good (and easy!), I'll have to try it out.

BriGuy

Ooh, Kuerig Original finally did this

Campbell_Soup_Composite.jpg

so we could relive the glory days of when your coffee machine could give you chicken soup. But with this we could have gazpacho!
What's the point of having a k-cup plus an envelope when you could just empty an envelope of soup into a cup and use the keurig to dump hot water on it?

Slayven

Several weeks from a Sodastream canister? I get at least 2-3 months from mine making 0.5L a day (split between my wife and I). Are people really chugging that much pop? (I think I already know the answer to this).

I use my Sodastream for much the same purpose, as buying carbonated water is generally (cheapest) $1 for 2L and there's no way in hell I can drink all that before it goes flat. Smaller sizes are significantly more expensive per mL.

I think it's about $20 ($35 minus $15 deposit) for a replacement canister, which is reasonable. I either drink it plain, with a splash of flavouring, some sort of syrup (for an Italian soda), or occasionally their Coke Zero knockoff as it's halfway decent in a pinch.

Best of all, no dealing with returning cans or bottles for deposit.

Pop? What kind of communist talk is that? It's soda or coke.

akira28

it has to have a built in compressor right? no air canisters to refill, just an electric plug. Otherwise this is an insult.

edit:
holy shit. it's just a water cooler and a mixer. The carbonation is in the drink pod. Fuck everything.

Slayven

it has to have a built in compressor right? no air canisters to refill, just an electric plug. Otherwise this is an insult.

edit:
holy shit. it's just a water cooler and a mixer. The carbonation is in the drink pod. Fuck everything.

You know how many Bothans died for that tech?

Chris R

edit:

The Kup comes filled with Karbonation Beads. I don't know what a Karbonation Bead is but that seems kinda Kool.

I'll have to check the Soda Stream out next time I'm in a BBB, I'd love something that delivers just plain carbonated water.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
$1.25 per cup? Why wouldn't I just go buy a 12 pack of pop for $6?

I mean with their coffee machines you're paying for the convenience factor of not having to brew a pot of coffee. I don't have to brew pop, it's prepackaged and ready to drink.

akira28

You know how many Bothans died for that tech?

Get them 5 dollars worth of those carbonation saver soda caps and let them buy as many assorted 2 liters as they want. These people must think money is synonymous with laziness and stupidity...

The Kup comes filled with Karbonation Beads. I don't know what a Karbonation Bead is but that seems kinda Kool.

I'll have to check the Soda Stream out next time I'm in a BBB, I'd love something that delivers just plain carbonated water.

They have them on sale for 50 bucks all the time. I just refuse to buy one because I refuse to be one of the bourgeoisie.

FyreWulff

when 2 liters of coca cola are regularly 80 cents to 1$ for a 2 liter, the sodastream/kkold is paying extra to make it myself

Carbonated plain water sounds awesome until you actually drink it. It just tastes like you're drinking a limestone rock.

I mean with their coffee machines you're paying for the convenience factor of not having to brew a pot of coffee. I don't have to brew pop, it's prepackaged and ready to drink.

holy fuck where do you live, 12 packs are 3$ here

Chris R

Carbonated plain water sounds awesome until you actually drink it. It just tastes like you're drinking a limestone rock.

I actually like the flavor and texture, it's just too expensive to justify buying when it costs the same as a 2L of soda.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel like this this thing must be targeted at Businesses. Surely no single consumer would want it at those prices.

FyreWulff

Ah yeah remembered that when I lived in Vancouver for a while. I had sticker shock over the coke/pepsi prices coming from the Midwest

I actually like the flavor and texture, it's just too expensive to justify buying when it costs the same as a 2L of soda.

Know what tastes strange and awesome but still strange? Carbonated milk. Had a bunch while I was in Canada.

Slayven

Ah yeah remembered that when I lived in Vancouver for a while. I had sticker shock over the coke/pepsi prices coming from the Midwest

Know what tastes strange and awesome but still strange? Carbonated milk. Had a bunch while I was in Canada.

Being lactose intoralant that sounds like a level of hell.

Keurig wih another turd. Decent idea but terrible execution. Buying soda is not so much of an inconvenience that people are going to pay twice as much plus a $400 buy in.

And the soup is another interesting idea but there's no doubt that the flavors will interfere with each other.

Raistlin

Things like this and Mio make me laugh sine it's a way for them to not spend money on water or the logistics of moving heavy product, but still reap a ton of cash.
I wouldn't compare Mio to this. It's actually really cheap per serving.

Also has the benefit of allowing flavor control.

Slayven what the hell is this
Nobody wants this damn thing! BURY IT

I got one of those sodamakers, but not like the Sodastream. It uses a normal paintball CO2 canister, which makes it much, much cheaper to fill.

Matt

The only thing that makes this even mildly interesting is that a fountain soda, properly calibrated, tastes miles better then a bottled or canned one.

Keurig wih another turd. Decent idea but terrible execution. Buying soda is not so much of an inconvenience that people are going to pay twice as much plus a $400 buy in.

And the soup is another interesting idea but there's no doubt that the flavors will interfere with each other.
It looks to me like they are trying to recapture the amazing sales of their first devices. It's not going to happen, though, since with all of the still-working older devices and knock-offs, the market is probably saturated.

So let's try expanding into a new market: soda.

No, thanks.

FyreWulff

The only thing that makes this even mildly interesting is that a fountain soda, properly calibrated, tastes miles better then a bottled or canned one.

McDonalds Coca Cola is top tier for this reason. They mix theirs heavy

You'll sometimes hear soda reps go "nah it's all mixed the same", lol no

If I've been to a fast food place enough I can consistently tell you what fast food restaurant a cup of Coca Cola came from

My guess is these Keurig cartridges are like those coke freestyle ones and enforce a certain consistency, so you wouldn't be able to adjust heavy anyway :(

Slayven

If I've been to a fast food place enough I can consistently tell you what fast food restaurant a cup of Coca Cola came from

My guess is these Keurig cartridges are like those coke freestyle ones and enforce a certain consistency, so you wouldn't be able to adjust heavy anyway :(

Now if McDonalds can fix their Ice T, it is either pure syrup or dirty water

Coca Cola actually controls and sets the ratio and mix of ingredients in fountain machines that use their products, McDonalds and other retailers aren't allowed to touch that. But McDonalds has a bunch of quality control measures that make their soda taste good. McDonalds doesn't slack where other places get lazy. They reverse osmosis filter their water, which makes it super clean. They keep the CO2 fresh. And they religiously clean their fountain machines. They also go through so much coke that they store the syrup in huge stainless steel containers instead of the cardboard boxed bags some other retailers get, which helps keep that shit fresh.

I find that movie theaters get especially lazy with fountain machines. I've had some annoying experiences with people at concessions pretending they don't know why the soda tastes bitter when they're just too lazy to change the CO2 and don't give a shit.

I don't know what a Karbonation Bead is but that seems kinda Kool.

Given the typical ingredients of Coke, $20 says some form of a mix of sodium bicarbonate and anhydrous phosphoric and citric acids. Mix them together in water and you get an effervescent CO2 reaction along with the typical phosphoric and citric acids found in Coke.

temp

posting on contract only
Given the typical ingredients of Coke, $20 says some form of a mix of sodium bicarbonate and anhydrous phosphoric and citric acids. Mix them together in water and you get an effervescent CO2 reaction along with the typical phosphoric and citric acids found in Coke.

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... what this guy said.

Allforce

This thing might (MIGHT) be ok just as something you have in a dedicated bar area of your home for making specialty alcoholic cocktails. But having it sitting out in my kitchen just to get a tiny cup of soda for a buck and change? No thanks.

dodgeme

If Coke supports it and I can get their oddball flavored stuff that's not the easiest to find like surge, Mello Yello, Vanilla Coke and pibb I'd be in.

Try being in western New York, of those only two can be regularly found in 12 packs.

Surge is a quick trip to pa or Amazon away and pibb is nowhere around anymore, nice change to Dr Pepper. I can get Mello Yello in some stores on 20ozs but not everywhere. For some reason buffalo Coke won't bottle Vanilla Coke in 20oz but I can legit go toward Rochester or erie pa and get it, so annoying.

So if they get pods with cokes oddball flavors I would be a buyer.

Now if McDonalds can fix their Ice T, it is either pure syrup or dirty water
I have had both the best and worst iced teas of my life from the McDonalds down the street.

So it's an Alka-Seltzer machine.

Slayven

I have had both the best and worst iced teas of my life from the McDonalds down the street.

So it's an Alka-Seltzer machine.

There is no consistency at all, it is like they fly a random person in from around the world just to brew the tea everyday

kamakazi5

Exactly. Hopefully it flops horrendously but I never underestimate how crazy our species can be.

Damaniel

Banned
It's dead in the water, as far as I'm concerned. Almost $400 for a unit making soda that costs $1.25 for 8oz. Nobody wants that.

Keurig should stick to coffee makers. At least the pods for their K-cup makers can be found in a variety of kinds for reasonable prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom