• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Butler becomes Vice President of betrayal in new commercial

VICI0US

the whole "kevin butler" campaign has been over for quite a while though. lambert stopped working for sony months ago.

cakefoo

He's doing the same background stuff he's done in all the Bridgestone ads, that one just happened to have a Wii in it.

6KX1m.jpg

You mean to tell me he's just drooling over his background tasks and not a TV displaying a Wii game?

Zoe

the whole "kevin butler" campaign has been over for quite a while though. lambert stopped working for sony months ago.

Again, there's a promotion for his character in LBP Karting. It's highly possible there was going to be another series over the holidays.

KalBalboa

Banned
Can someone explain how this is any different from actors starring in different films for different film studios?

If memory serves correct, Sean Connery was under contract to never do a film, post-Bond, that involved him in a black & white tuxedo without his beard.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If memory serves correct, Sean Connery was under contract to never do a film, post-Bond, that involved him in a black & white tuxedo without his beard.

Great. Is the actor in this thread wearing his usual Kevin Butler threads?

Balphon

If Sony claims to have a copyright on the guys image, then they're as silly as the old MGM urban legend that Bond Actors could never appear in a tux in a film again.

The basis of the relevant claim is apparently trademark infringement, which is quite a bit different from copyright infringement. Once more, it seems that they're asserting trademark rights in the Kevin Butler character rather than the actor's image. I can't tell you whether they'll win, or whether it was smart to bring suit, but the claim isn't frivolous.

LOL. No, we noticed it because it's the same actor and that's it, although I wouldn't put it past some people to think he was really VP of shooters or some crap.

Right, and the only reason anybody cares that it's the same actor is that someone not in the know might identify him with a competing brand. Case in point, note how it's not the actor's name in the thread title.

cakefoo

So if Isaiah Mustafa put a shirt on and advertised Axe body spray, he would become a completely different persona than his Old Spice commercials, and he could take the shirt off again and be just as effective a spokesperson for OS as he ever was?

We don't know what Jerry Lambert lambert contract was.

And to everyone saying there's no comparison what so ever between the two should really take a look at this threads title. Hell, the whole thread. This is exactly the kind of thing that Sony is suing for.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The thread title still makes me chuckle every time I read it. I'm running out of chuckles.

We don't know what Jerry Lambert lambert contract was.

And to everyone saying there's no comparison what so ever between the two should really take a look at this threads title. Hell, the whole thread. This is exactly the kind of thing that Sony is suing for.

Sony is suing for betrayal? Would you say honor is a huge part of their culture?

Top Bottom