• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Butler becomes Vice President of betrayal in new commercial

I can't think of a single ad campaign where a live action actor has been replaced.

rAsKd.jpg

soldat7

IF he had a contract with them that he broke, you're saying they should just let that go?

Is it really worth it to Sony, considering the potential fallout, to pursue legal action here? This suit reeks of ineptitude and maybe desperation on Sony's part. Let's hope it's not a sign of corporate decay.

Stewox

Banned
Does anyone have a freaking copy of this video, I mean you should already automatically realize youtube is not reliable.

jimi_dini

Does anyone have a freaking copy of this video, I mean you should already automatically realize youtube is not reliable.

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/151958/Bridgestone-commercial-Kevin-Butler-becomes-VP-of-Betrayal/

(and I made a copy this time lol)

Damnit. Beaten by Wario64 4 pages ago :p

Could someone please update the OP?

I uploaded it to mediafire as well. http://www.mediafire.com/?j2qvizthubdgrlt

wildfire

Banned
That's my only issue. Bridgestone obviously hired him because of his visibility in gaming media. If he contacted them in advance asking if it was ok to be in a commercial that featured a Wii console as an appealing incentive to buy Bridgestone then I would be willing to side with him on this, but I doubt that will be the case.

That's my only issue. Bridgestone obviously hired him because of his visibility in gaming media. If he contacted them in advance asking if it was ok to be in a commercial that featured a Wii console as an appealing incentive to buy Bridgestone then I would be willing to side with him on this, but I doubt that will be the case.

lol. Really? This wasn't the first Bridgestone commercial he was in.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

He was in Bridgestone commercials long before this Wii promotion started.

cakefoo

I don't really think the tires were the problem.
That's my point. People need to stop thinking that Lambert is being forced by Sony to stay out of work, period.

This isn't like Warner Bros suing the movie trailer voice guy because he did a trailer for Paramount. Lambert is THE (fictional) face of Playstation, which makes it awkward to see him pimping a non-Sony console. Can you imagine if he walked out onstage at Nintendo or MS's E3 conference? Shit would hit the fan. Even if there's no contract, he at least owes an apology for tainting Sony's ad campaign, because now a lot of people think that, KB or JL, he'll advertise any game console you pay him to. The lawsuit negotiations seem to have completed very swiftly and without complication, so it would seem that everything was done with tact. But the internet loves a knee-jerk reaction-- especially if they can attack Sony-- and they hate reading-- so they'll likely ignore my post.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That's my point. People need to stop thinking that Lambert is being forced by Sony to stay out of work, period.

This isn't like Warner Bros suing the movie trailer voice guy because he did a trailer for Paramount. Lambert is THE (fictional) face of Playstation, which makes it awkward to see him pimping a non-Sony console. Can you imagine if he walked out onstage at Nintendo or MS's E3 conference? Shit would hit the fan. Even if there's no contract, he at least owes an apology for tainting Sony's ad campaign, because now a lot of people think that, KB or JL, he'll advertise any game console you pay him to. The lawsuit negotiations seem to have completed very swiftly and without complication, so it would seem that everything was done with tact. But the internet loves a knee-jerk reaction-- especially if they can attack Sony-- and they hate reading-- so they'll likely ignore my post.

Bullshit, he was hired by a company who later ended up doing a promotion with Nintendo, he didn't go out of his way to promote Wii. By that logic Lambert can never work for any company that could have any possible chance of doing work with Nintendo (or by extension Microsoft). Never work on a film or TV show that could have Nintendo or MS as a product placement advertiser. Never work for any company that could later do a promotion with Nintendo.

Sure him working directly for Nintendo or MS would raise eyebrows, but he's pretty much out of the acting industry if every contract he signs comes with the stipulation that his employer can never do business with Nintendo.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I know it's a joke, but as I said before: You don't see Old Spice Guy directly or indirectly promoting Axe, and you don't see Progressive chick directly or indirectly promoting Geico.

And you don't see Lambert directly promoting Nintendo. He's promoting a tire company that happened to be run a promotion with Nintendo long after he had begun his contract with them.

I didn't know that all Sony PS2 football games had Sega Dreamcast ads when playing the Arsenal.
Did you really went back 4 pages to say something that was already said by someone else?

I don't fully know how football licenses work but I do know league, squads, tournaments, etc... are all difference licenses. You can have a league licensed and not a squad from the same league , and vice versa, and it has happened before. If you license the champions league, you use their sponsers. That's why you got this:

wNq8N.jpg
on Xbox.

If you license a racing car you get its sponsers.

And considering EA was in war with Dreamcast at the time they probably went out of their way to do it themselves and not Sony. Yes, because they're not Sony games.

Either way don't worry, you'll still get this:

untitledikq92.png

In the next Gt.

Sony invests tons of money in developing a marketing persona for their brand

Said marketing persona is used by a company to promote competing game console

And Sony is the bad guy?

And Sony is the bad guy?

How is Kevin Butler in the Bridegestone commercial? The actor who plays him is in it but not the character.

So was the Wii the focus of the commercial or the Bridgestone tires???
The Wii is the focus of the one ad where Lambert is heavily prominent. It's pretty obvious the intention was not innocent, hence why they removed him.

It's like if Bridgestone hired the Mac Guy. No problems I'm sure, but there will be problems if he is suddenly promoting Windows or Samsung in conjunction with the ad

Why does that matter when talking about trademark infringement? What kind of Kevin Butler "trademarks" occurred in the commercial?
Using the very actor who would illicit a response as a Sony spokesperson. The one that Somy had spent money building up. Or you think Bridgestone had no awareness of his history as an actor when deciding to pitch him in a videogame commercial using a very similar persona?

You believe actors like this don't have non-compete clauses in their contract to STOP them from promoting competing products in this very way?

Using the very actor who would illicit a response as a Sony spokesperson. The one that Somy had spent money building up. Or you think Bridgestone had no awareness of his history as an actor when deciding to pitch him in a videogame commercial using a very similar persona?

You believe actors like this don't have non-compete clauses in their contract to STOP them from promoting competing products in this very way?

Then why isn't the actor being sued for breach of contract? (probably a money issue since Sony is going after a corporation but still I don't think they have a case here)

cakefoo

And you don't see Lambert directly promoting Nintendo. He's promoting a tire company that happened to be run a promotion with Nintendo long after he had begun his contract with them.
He's not promoting tires in the Bridgestone Wii ad. His character is engaged in the Wii, not tires.

Then why isn't the actor being sued for breach of contract? (probably a money issue since Sony is going after a corporation but still I don't think they have a case here)
He is being sued for a breach of contract

Sony Computer Entertainment America filed a lawsuit against Bridgestone and Wildcat Creek, Inc. on September 11. The claims are based on violations of the Lanham Act, misappropriation, breach of contract and tortious interference with a contractual relationship. We invested significant resources in bringing the Kevin Butler character to life and he’s become an iconic personality directly associated with PlayStation products over the years. Use of the Kevin Butler character to sell products other than those from PlayStation misappropriates Sony’s intellectual property, creates confusion in the market, and causes damage to Sony."

DiscoJer

And Sony is the bad guy?

But what is the actor going to do? Get plastic surgery? Change his personality?

There used to be an actor that was a pitchman for all sorts of local businesses, probably 5 different ones, all playing the same character, himself. And the same person he'd play on TV in a bunch of bit parts (he played the Undertaker on an episode of The Golden Girls, the one where Rose yells at someone and they drop dead from a heart attack)

Similarly, look at Joe Isuzu/David Leisure. Sure, he didn't lie on his TV show Empty Nest, but he basically played a sleazy, dishonest guy. Noe he's resurrected the Joe Isuzu persona in ads for trial lawyers (portraying a sleazy, dishonest lawyer)

But what is the actor going to do? Get plastic surgery? Change his personality?

There used to be an actor that was a pitchman for all sorts of local businesses, probably 5 different ones, all playing the same character, himself. And the same person he'd play on TV in a bunch of bit parts (he played the Undertaker on an episode of The Golden Girls, the one where Rose yells at someone and they drop dead from a heart attack)

Similarly, look at Joe Isuzu/David Leisure. Sure, he didn't lie on his TV show Empty Nest, but he basically played a sleazy, dishonest guy. Noe he's resurrected the Joe Isuzu persona in ads for trial lawyers (portraying a sleazy, dishonest lawyer)
He is not going to promote gaming systems other than Sony, as I'm guessing is stipulated in his contract?

As I said, Sony didn't have a problem with the Bridgestone role until he was promoting Wii.

Balphon

We recognized it because we're really into the industry.

For the general public, Sony just pulled a Streisand.

Right, and we noticed it because of the confusion it could potentially create in the market, which is the essence of a trademark infringement claim.

inky

Right, and we noticed it because of the confusion it could potentially create in the market, which is the essence of a trademark infringement claim.

LOL. No, we noticed it because it's the same actor and that's it, although I wouldn't put it past some people to think he was really VP of shooters or some crap.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

If Sony claims to have a copyright on the guys image, then they're as silly as the old MGM urban legend that Bond Actors could never appear in a tux in a film again.

Top Bottom