• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC secret recipe potentially revealed by the Colonel's nephew

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can smell the lawyers descending on him as we speak

KFC chicken is shit.

The only surprise is the ginger

I bet they only put it in because someone else claimed 10 herbs and spices. "Ten? I've got 11, mother fucker" [shrugs shoulder and throws some ginger in]

Edit: Fuck me, thread bump.

Maledict

Made it finally. Confirmed that it was delicious. My family was raving about it, and they are hardly the compliment type.

Yep, friend of mine tried it yesterday as well. He didn't quite get the cooking temperature right (was slightly too crispy), but confirmed that it does taste identical to KFC.

Polari

Well, the spices cost me over $15 alone and that's with me already having a few. I'll give this recipe a go next week.

I don't know what it's like in your area, but where I live it's worth just going to an Indian supermarket where they have huge bins of them and you can get a small jar's worth of most things for as little as 50 cents.

Lagamorph

I would give this a try but there are two major hurdles,

1) I'm an utterly terrible terrible cook
2) I don't have a deep fat fryer

Renekton

GAF ad:

acdcGf6.jpg

Polari

I would give this a try but there are two major hurdles,

1) I'm an utterly terrible terrible cook
2) I don't have a deep fat fryer

You don't need a deep fryer, just a decent sized pan.

I like cooking, but I'd never actually deep fried anything before (!) It was super easy - the only thing was I probably had the peanut oil a little too hot (I read online to check the temperature by putting a wooden spoon in and seeing if the oil bubbles around it - that was fine, but I probably should have turned the element down a little once it was heated).

I did it with chicken breasts (wanted to make burgers and had some in the freezer). All it took was mixing the spices and flour together, coating the breasts in it, then dipping it in a mix of buttermilk and a couple of eggs, then coating that in the spices and flour mix again. I left them for ten minutes then chucked them in pan for about four minutes on each side, before leaving them to rest on a couple of wire racks.

Lagamorph

You don't need a deep fryer, just a decent sized pan.

I like cooking, but I'd never actually deep fried anything before (!) It was super easy - the only thing was I probably had the peanut oil a little too hot (I read online to check the temperature by putting a wooden spoon in and seeing if the oil bubbles around it - that was fine, but I probably should have turned the element down a little once it was heated).

I did it with chicken breasts (wanted to make burgers and had some in the freezer). All it took was mixing the spices and flour together, coating the breasts in it, then dipping it in a mix of buttermilk and a couple of eggs, then coating that in the spices and flour mix again. I left them for ten minutes then chucked them in pan for about four minutes on each side, before leaving them to rest on a couple of wire racks.
Hmmm...very tempting to try this weekend. How much oil did you use and what kind of pan? I've got a deepish pan, but not sure it'd be deep enough.

Polari

Hmmm...very tempting to try this weekend. How much oil did you use and what kind of pan? I've got a deepish pan, but not sure it'd be deep enough.

A skillet kind of like this:
T1LVR9W.jpg

With about 2/3rds of an inch of oil - the chicken breasts were half submerged, then flipped over.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I didn't have any MSG on hand. I did about half the Paprika, but I had really, really potent stuff anyway. I had my oil at the perfect temperature (350 in my opinion) with a frying thermometer. No deep fryer, either, just a deep skillet like my man above.

Mendrox

Remade this a few weeks ago too. Can confirm that it almost tastes exactly like KFC. Just had it a bit too long in the deep fryer, but otherwise it was very good.

Lagamorph

Is there a good step by step preparation and cooking guide for this? As I've said I'm a terrible cook and I need guidelines.

Zoe

Shouldn't you really be broasting, not frying, if you want it to be like KFC? How does frying compare?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Is there a good step by step preparation and cooking guide for this? As I've said I'm a terrible cook and I need guidelines.

-Make the mix
-prepare the chicken pieces. I let them rest in a glass baking dish while I put the mix together. This allows them to warm up a bit.
-make an egg mix. Personally, i use about 1/3 c whole milk to 4 eggs and whisk until blended well.
-heat about 1/2 inch to 1 inch of cooking oil in a deep bottom pan. If you have a deep fryer or whatever, that would work, too. For even cooking and a nice golden skin, 350 is perfect.

Then:

Separate some of the mix into a small bowl or pan and take a piece of chicken, put it in the mix, then to the egg wash, then to another bowl of the mix. Make sure you coat it evenly, then gently set it in the oil. Flip once the bottom is a deep golden, then take the whole thing out and let it rest. Personally, I finished with a little salt sprinkled over the whole plate of cooked chicken, but that was my preference alone, and I didn't use MSG in my mix, so I thought it was a tad underseasoned at first.

Mendrox

Even you don't need this. Put all the spices in a container, put flour on it, put egg on it, put your chicken into the container and close it, shake it, fry it.

Why are some so obsessed with adding MSG. The recipe is spot on. Although I agree less paprika is best.

I made this again a few days ago.

Lenardo

Banned
have made it twice, once on chicken breasts with the skin
once on chicken breasts without the skin.

with skin tastes pretty much exactly like kfc Original Recipe.
without skin tasted good, but was a bit lacking.

so for me next time i make this,,,, skin is in.

wowzors

I have a serious question and I feel very dumb for asking it.

I have a T-Fal deep fryer and I have tried to cook fried chicken a couple of times. I can never find the correct amount of time to cook the chicken and also I struggle greatly with temp.

The few times I have cooked it the skin has been quite dark, I preheat the oil to 375F before lowering in the chicken and then let it cook for 8-10 minutes, should I be lowering the oil to 325 after the chicken is added?

I dont really know how to use these things and no one really talks about them online.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I have a serious question and I feel very dumb for asking it.

I have a T-Fal deep fryer and I have tried to cook fried chicken a couple of times. I can never find the correct amount of time to cook the chicken and also I struggle greatly with temp.

The few times I have cooked it the skin has been quite dark, I preheat the oil to 375F before lowering in the chicken and then let it cook for 8-10 minutes, should I be lowering the oil to 325 after the chicken is added?

I dont really know how to use these things and no one really talks about them online.

8-10 minutes sounds like a long time to me at 375.how cold is the chicken before you drop it in?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dark meat pieces take longer, I know that. But white meat pieces take me about 5 or 6

Yep. And bone vs no bone makes a big difference as well. So does the size of the piece. KFC pieces tend to be smallish, whereas the grocery store sometimes has those 1lb breast on the bone monsters that would take a while to fry. I would recommend smaller pieces so you get a good ratio of spicy crust to meat throughout, rather than monster pieces.

banjo5150

Don't know if I missed it but do you have to turn those ingredients into a batter to dip the chicken? If so what do you add to make a batter eggs, water, ect?

Symphonia

Banned
Don't know if I missed it but do you have to turn those ingredients into a batter to dip the chicken? If so what do you add to make a batter eggs, water, ect?
Just dip whatever you want to coat in to egg, then dip in the spice mix. I advise dipping back in the egg then adding another coat of spice mix for an extra crunchy batter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom