• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC secret recipe potentially revealed by the Colonel's nephew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can recipes be copyrighted?

If Popeyes were to use this recipe to develop their own KFC taste-alike and call it "Country Style" or whatever, could they be sued?

Mendrox

I'm confused how this is news to people.

Do you not cook? Anyone who knows their way around a kitchen should be able to whip up an approximation of KFC.

Also, y'all cook some pale ass chicken if 4 tablespoons of Paprika seems like alot.

People don't cook these days. See all the people that waste their money on fastfood every day.

milanbaros

Member?
Can recipes be copyrighted?

If Popeyes were to use this recipe to develop their own KFC taste-alike and call it "Country Style" or whatever, could they be sued?

No, they can't, hence why they try and keep it a secret. Copyrighting a recipe is a ridiculous idea when you think about it. You could copyright a 3 eggs omellete and be made for life.

old

Well, the spices cost me over $15 alone and that's with me already having a few. I'll give this recipe a go next week.

Teletraan1

Banned
Since my corner store has served chicken for 20 years that has tasted pretty much exactly like KFC I doubt this is some big discovery. Read the ingredients, any person with taste buds and a spice rack could figure this recipe out not to mention other corporations over the years.

StayDead

I love KFC and would still buy from them, but hell yes am I buying chicken and trying this!

Subbed for when I next get some chicken.

Treo360

Made this using chicken tenderloins. I added 1/2 tbs msg to the recipe, and I think that was too much. My wife loved it though. This is saved for future endeavors.

RojUdZr.jpg

Looks like a job for the Colonel Corp to stop the secret from getting out.

1Hw9Toz.png

That is all.

orochi91

KFC tastes pretty good here in Canada, or at least in Mississauga (Southern Ontario).

I'd compare it favourably to Popeyes, perhaps even better because Popeyes usually goes overboard with that breaded seasoning shit; crispy skin is too thick sometimes.

karasu

KFC can keep their recipe as the chicken isn't very good. I get way better fried chicken at Farm Fresh.

I always felt bad for Sanders. He was completely overwhelmed by the amount of restaurants and had to sell the company off, and the new owners immediately changed the recipes to this crappy cheap stuff we get today. Whenever he tried to start new restaurants using the actual recipe he got sued, and he basically spent the rest of his life attempting to distance himself from the restaurants that bore his name.

Hopefully this is the actual, original recipe.

I always felt bad for Sanders. He was completely overwhelmed by the amount of restaurants and had to sell the company off, and the new owners immediately changed the recipes to this crappy cheap stuff we get today. Whenever he tried to start new restaurants using the actual recipe he got sued, and he basically spent the rest of his life attempting to distance himself from the restaurants that bore his name.

Eh, was it more than the one time? Because he just shuffled ownership around and they couldn't do anything about it. I know he publicly trash KFC and how shitty the chicken and everything had become and was sued for it and won or at least settled. I kind of wished back when I lived in the Louisville area that I took a drive out to the restaurant that's still around.

Honestly Sanders is sounding like an idiot here.

_Ryo_

This is pretty standard as far as ingredients go. Pretty sure I've done this exact recipe before even, just trying things out.

Jawmuncher

Maybe people could make that secret recipe better, because the one at actual KFC is just the worst.

This explains a lot.

rainz

This looks kinda legit but knowing my luck probably turn out as bad as when i tried to make any other signature fast food at home eg Nandos...

In other news I ate a whole Family Feast to myself in the last 16 hours due to a raging hangover when going through the drive through.. Don't know if they have that meal at kfc in the US but it was a whole hell of a lot of food. And it was damn good. And no, im not overweight.. was just really really hungover, for a long ass time..

Darko

I tried just the seasoning (with less paprika) on some wings and baked them:

They came out pretty good! Next weekend I might try to fry some wings and I kind of want to try this seasoning with fried pickles
How did it taste?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I used a version of this recipe on some fried shrimp yesterday and I was pretty damn happy with the results!

Has anyone else been trying it out?

How did it taste?

It definitely had a hint of that KFC taste, but it wasn't over powerful. I've been playing with the recipe to come up with something I like better though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I tried just the seasoning (with less paprika) on some wings and baked them:

They came out pretty good! Next weekend I might try to fry some wings and I kind of want to try this seasoning with fried pickles

If you like fried pickles (and who wouldn't) I recommend trying fried pickled jalapenos. So delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom