• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC secret recipe potentially revealed by the Colonel's nephew

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get crispy skin frying in a cast iron skillet because it retains heat better, so long as you're not frying straight from the fridge. The whole point is for the oil to never change temperatures. The oil used matters as well.

Brine -> Egg wash -> flour mixture -> let rest 5-10 mins to set -> egg wash again -> flour mixture -> deep fry -> Drain 5 minutes and rotate/pat so all oil can drain

Perfect results every time. Add corn starch and a little baking powder into flour for extra crispiness. Keep in mind that they also may burn easier.

i already do all that, it's not the same

Ponn

Banned

The absolute key to fried chicken that is most often overlooked is heating the oil to frying temp first. If you put it in too soon it will get too greasy and wont fry right. Every single time i've seen bad fried chicken that is the culprit because people get too impatient and put it in to quick.

Really? What type of oil are you using?

I can make my chicken crispier than KFC does doing this with corn starch.

But yes pressure frying can make some crispy airy chicken.

The absolute key to fried chicken that is most often overlooked is heating the oil to frying temp first. If you put it in too soon it will get too greasy and wont fry right. Every single time i've seen bad fried chicken that is the culprit because people get too impatient and put it in to quick.

Yeah, you can absolutely prepare better crispy fried chicken without using the equipment these fast food places use. Every single step has to be done correctly, frying chicken is finicky that way. Using an oil with a low smoking point can be the culprit as well as crowding the pan.

Krammy

15 tablespoons worth of ingredients per 2 cups of flour? That sounds like a recipe to destroy my kidneys, but I'll give it a whirl.

Apollo

Banned
Churchs is better then both popeyes and KFC. To bad they closed the nearest one...now I have to drive almost 30mins and I'm not going to do that. I just settle for Popeye's or even Krogers deli fried chicken when I have a taste for it.

krang

Well it's not like Dominos is going out of business because people know how to make pizza. I don't think this would make any difference to business, other than people trying it for fun.

Really? What type of oil are you using?

I can make my chicken crispier than KFC does doing this with corn starch.

But yes pressure frying can make some crispy airy chicken.
I've used many types of oil(a bunch of vegetable oils, peanut, even got some lard) except olive cause lol at frying with that

I guess it's that airyness that was looking for(I know there was a trick of making the eggs have air bubbles in them when you coat), I can make it very crispy, thats not the problem.

oti

Banned
KFC's parent company, Yum! Brands, didn't confirm the recipe either—because of course they wouldn't—and instead said something to the tune of, "Everyone thinks they know what it is, but they don't."

suuuuuure

Churches is better then both popeyes and KFC. To bad they closed the nearest one...now I have to drive almost 30mins and I'm not going to do that. I just settle for Popeye's or even Krogers deli fried chicken when I have a taste for it.

God bless. Can't believe I forgot about Church's, omg their biscuits. I need to hit one up next time I'm in Cali.

KFC's parent company, Yum! Brands, didn't confirm the recipe either—because of course they wouldn't—and instead said something to the tune of, "Everyone thinks they know what it is, but they don't."

They don't think it be like it is but it do.

Apollo

Banned
God bless. Can't believe I forgot about Church's, omg their biscuits. I need to hit one up next time I'm in Cali.

forgot about biscuits...and everyone says Popeye's dry ass biscuits are good. Everything at Church's is better then all Popeye's and KFC. This thread makes me want to take that L and drive the 30 so mins to go get some.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

forgot about biscuits...and everyone says Popeye's dry ass biscuits are good. Everything at Church's is better then all Popeye's and KFC. This thread makes me want to take that L and drive the 30 so mins to go get some.

Completely depends on location. The local Chuch's in my town is overly greasy yet still manages to be utterly flavorless. The KFC locations, their chicken always ends up too soggy, even the Extra Crispy variety somehow. So the two Popeye's locations end up being the best fast food fried chicken places here by default (and only really the spicy variety - mild is kind of bland, but even that stills has more flavor compared to the other two chains here).

If I buy fried chicken anymore I get it from a local store, cheaper (12 pieces for less than KFC's 8) usually larger chicken and taste better. KFC has been shit for a really long time now, probably the last time they were even decent was back when the original Chicken Littles were still a thing.

Guess Who

Banned

church's is great if you like your chicken to taste like nothing

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
To the people saying this is pretty standard... You know that's in no small part because of hordes of people trying to replicate this recipe, right? It's like the Aliens of food.

SOR5

lilypotter-1426691877.gif

Got a link? They claim its still the original recipe on all there ads.
Well it contains MSG not present in the original recipe and it's had competing suppliers bid for rights to supply their low grade pepper and salt and everything else. Additionally that paprika count is way too much and the spicy variant is way different.

I mean maybe this was how KFC started but plenty of additions to cooking method and variation on ingredients has happened in that time.

smurfx

get some go again
Churchs is better then both popeyes and KFC. To bad they closed the nearest one...now I have to drive almost 30mins and I'm not going to do that. I just settle for Popeye's or even Krogers deli fried chicken when I have a taste for it.
lol church's is the place you to go when nothing else is close by. bland ass chicken and their corn isn't even as good anymore.

LoveCake

Is that recipe per leg or wing?

I have only ever had a KFC once, It was the Godfather Meal I had about five years ago.

Skii

I literally just ate KFC because of this thread. It has been at least 6 months since I last went there. It's just so much better than the family owned chicken shops in my area. I wonder how different UK and America's KFC taste.

norm9

Really sad KFC got rid of the Nashville Hot Chicken, that shit was god-tier.

I only tried the Nashville sauce on the chicken strips. Really delicious.

Going to eat fried chicken for lunch because of the thread. Either KFC because of their god tiered mash potatoes, or the closer chicken place which also serves churros.

Is that recipe per leg or wing?

If you're asking what is it for, I have no idea, but given the fact people say there's too much paprika, I assume it's for wings.

If you're talking about amount, that's not how it works. You get a few cups of spice'n'flour mix by mixing these, then you put some on a plate and rub the chicken in it. That should be enough for a big bunch of meat, since you only cover chicken pieces in the thing. I would guess one tablespoon per wing and two per small leg (small as in the sort that they sell in KFC), but my guesses may be way off - the point is, two cups of flour is already too much per leg.

FStubbs

KFC in Kentucky in the '90s was some next level stuff. While at the same time it was trash most anywhere else.

Holly Farms used to have good fried chicken. Google says:

Holly Farms Style Fried Chicken
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup flour
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
1 tsp. chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (not salt)
1/4 tsp. onion powder (not salt)
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tbs. Cajun Seasoning
1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. Wondra flour (or sifted flour or jiffy mix )
1/2 tsp. Monosodium Glutamate (optional)
additional flour for separate pre-coating
5-6 cups Crisco cooking oil or peanut oil
1 frying chicken, cut in pieces

Apollo

Banned
lol church's is the place you to go when nothing else is close by. bland ass chicken and their corn isn't even as good anymore.

Had my girl pick some up on her way home since she some what passes it by...taste just as good as the one that use to be near by me. Only problem is she picked up dark meat and I could only eat legs. Your Church's sells the bland kind. I actually never had bland chicken from any of Churchs, KFC, or Popeyes.

LoveCake

If you're asking what is it for, I have no idea, but given the fact people say there's too much paprika, I assume it's for wings.

If you're talking about amount, that's not how it works. You get a few cups of spice'n'flour mix by mixing these, then you put some on a plate and rub the chicken in it. That should be enough for a big bunch of meat, since you only cover chicken pieces in the thing. I would guess one tablespoon per wing and two per small leg (small as in the sort that they sell in KFC), but my guesses may be way off - the point is, two cups of flour is already too much per leg.

You rub the mixture into/over the meat, It was a dumb question, I have done similar myself with meats.

I thought that everything was coated in the same 'secret sauce/recipe' though?

I have a popeyes literally across the street from me 2 blocks down (also a Five Guys at the corner). I go to popeyes maybe once a year, I really don't understand why they are so loved. Their chicken is so plain to me like everything else there. Supposedly its cajun spicy style but I don't taste it.

I'm interested in trying this recipe out at home though, I prefer home cooked fried chicken anyways. I like to make it with homemade biscuits and some milk gravy.

I get many people don't cook but if you were interested in home cooking you should already have a spice rack with half those spices at least already. You don't use a whole bottle of spice for one meal. I used to shake my head at people at work talking about buying taco seasoning packets. It's just chili powder, cumin and garlic. Get them and they last you a year and taste better.

Yup. Servicable but not spectacular.

Bojangles > Popeyes = KFC >>>> Church's Grease Soup with bits of chicken or okra or what have you floating in it.

Fucking useless.

Call me when they have the recipe for the gravy.

The Real Gravy (however it tasted) is long gone, long before I was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom