• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: The voices in my head tell me to take your money and run

This Kickstarter has been weird since the beginning. I followed it off and on when it first started and forgot about it until I read this update. She refused to let anyone see the rulebook or even was cagey about what the game actually was. Most of her posts during the campagin are here, even back then you can tell she was not altogether there. I'm surprised she was able to get funded this project the whole thing just screamed stay away.

The game actually sounds like it could be cool/fun - so if people weren't careful with their background checking I could easily see this happening (people backing her)
She says nothing about the game other than she wants it to be a mix between Magic and Risk, which makes no sense mechanic wise.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I have no idea what's going on here. Did he/she rip people off and run with the money or is he/she just posting strange rants and that's what everyone is talking about?

Tomat

She actually did it? She actually took the damn money?

That's hilarious.

Tomat

Just saw this on his/her deviant art:

Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite woman authors.

Her work is usually prescient, fresh feeling, but usually always relates coherently and with attentiveness to the recorded historical meta-tale.

So uh... I wonder if the backers will even get a game. Maybe they'll get some chunks of cardboard and a few cards in a box.

Holy ... fucking ... shit @ her facebook.

Wow. This is from three years ago. I haven't watched the whole thing, but s/he's mostly coherent here, although you can hear traces of crazy starting to creep in. She sounds pretty damn intelligent. Sad to see a brain slowly destroyed.

I agree. I feel bad for every laughing at this person after watching that video diary. Clearly some things went wrong between that and those facebook posts and that kickstarter update. Very intelligent and very talented. I hope there are friends or family to help out with what is clearly a bigger deal than a kickstarter project going bad.

At the very least, since they already uploaded all the cards and the rules and everything, perhaps the kickstarter people could rally funds to take over the creation of the game since t hey already have all the pieces.

Effect

Is there any legal option people can take if a kickstarter simply doesn't deliver. Gets the money and then just takes off with it in the end?

p8Kjn.jpg

xbhaskarx

Yup batshit insane confirmed...

Molly Friedrich
Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite woman authors.
Her work is usually prescient, fresh feeling, but usually always relates coherently and with attentiveness to the recorded historical meta-tale.

===

Molly Friedrich
Earlier I was discussing Coraline, and how it seems to be a rather damning critique of the Satanic usurping of womanhood carried out by men over the last few thousand years, probably at the behest of the Satanically imperious but strangely never-present-in-fiction planet Earth.

===

S J Willson
Neil Gaiman is an excellent author. HE is also a man.

===

Molly Friedrich
(SJ wrote "Niel Gaiman", and then later edited her post.)
No?
All the checks of the spelling I did say I have it correct.

===

Molly Friedrich
SJ, you are clearly confused, and appear to be falling for the tricks and lies of Satan. It really pains me to see a woman such as yourself being trapped into a mindset where you believe that you must take on a man's potential burden and suffer in his place.
Please, for your own sanity... read this, and never forsake your womanhood!:
http://porkshanks.deviantart.com/journal/

===

Andrei Story
I'm pretty sure Neil Gaiman is male-identified.

===

Molly Friedrich
Why do you believe that?

===

Andrei Story
Because everything ever that mentions Neil Gaiman, including himself, refers to him as male?

===

Molly Friedrich
You might be right... if Neil does have a vagina... but from my experiences in this culture, I'm pretty sure she has a penis, so that makes her a woman, although I agree that she looks like most of the other women of her generation: abused with extreme and unearned masculinity.
I really think its unfortunate that this planet rejects the Stellar Culture so much that its entirely obviously off balance.
Oh well, if Neil does ever get pregnant then we will know you're right about her... but until this planet brings itself back into balance I am going to continue calling her the correct gender for what I believe to be her situation.

===

Andrei Story
What the hell are you going on about? Seriously?

1276063741248.jpg

squidyj

That is awesome. Demented, but fucking awesome.

TheAlmightySun said:
Hello, I've changed my mind about what I said earlier. You really should finish your boardgame thing, I mean seriously those people gave you 8k you crazy bit...I mean loyal follower.

Yours truly.
The Sun.

from her deviantart page comments.

Balya

Forever

Banned
Meanwhile, a Facebook post from this afternoon says the sun is telling her to molest children and marry a cat, among other things.

But at least people might be getting their cards, I guess?

The dude is obviously completely insane and is very likely a danger to himself and others, I don't know why no one's getting him any help.

gabbo

The dude is obviously completely insane and is very likely a danger to himself and others, I don't know why no one's getting him any help.

Is this really any different than the other crazies that pop up on youtube or any other forum on the internet? S/he just happen to get other's money involved is the only difference it seems.

You going to take it upon yourself? Yea, that's kinda how everyone else feels :-/

Orayn

really, theres nothing to feel bad about, these people are clearly too dumb to function. If it was some piramid thing or some really well thought out scam, I would feel for them, but this? any person with any level of intelligence or education should really know that giving money to someone who talks to the sun is not sound investment.

Her actual pitch for the boardgame was pretty cool, and there was nothing insane on her Kickstarter until recently. You'd have to look at her Deviantart to catch a glimpse of the crazy, and that's easy enough to miss.

nbthedude

Update from Molly, Star date: March 14th, 2013:

Just wanted to contact everyone and let you all know what's going on.

It seems like the spiritual collaboration I am working with was able to work out an understanding with the military and some other various groups over the last few weeks, and things are feeling very positive for the future!

All the paper supplies are still safely in a climate controlled storage while I am saving up some money to purchase ink for printing with a different printer than I had budgeted for.

I'm not having troubles with hyperdimensional plasma attacks any more, so the only problem left to resolve is that I had budgeted for using the 4 color laser printer, and it turned out that I have to use an inkjet (for the card decks ONLY) instead, which will cost a bit more than I had budgeted for. But I'm well along the way to having the new ink budget, so once I am back in Washington state, I should be able to print up the decks without any more issues.

Once again thanks for your patience!

As for those who have complained, I've found that 99% of the people that have criticized the production of this game were not even people that purchased it. A year or two to publish a home made indie game with as many complex parts as this one is not unheard of (obviously that's not how long I was hoping it would take, but I had no idea I would get harassed by plasma beings), so it was a little overwhelming that I had so many people that didn't even back the game attacking me only a couple months after it was funded.

Sorry again for the delays, I really am looking forward to getting it finished, because so far all of the people that have played it have enjoyed it. (some were prototype testers, and a couple were people that downloaded the game from my gallery and made their own print and play prototype).

No huge news this time, just wanted to stay in touch since there were some concerns I wasn't updating enough in the past.

Top Bottom