• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Hmm....have some Hedgehog Claws on sale for 31k, but it's definitely lacking in the melee dept.

Range: 5 stars
Melee: No stars
Value: 295

Overall Def. +2
Weakening +3
Stamina +4
Side-dash cont. fire +2
Melee dash attack +2

Worth it?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why the FUCK isn't there a restart option? I've been trying to get the Gemini Orbitars for half an hour now and Pittoo keeps on NOT choosing the correct place to hide.

Tom_Cody

It always funny watching someone play through this for the first time . The cycle of" Wait WHAT?! Did that just happen? This chapter is so awesome! There is no way the game can get crazier/better, right?!" Never gets old.
Too true.

Beat chapter
-15-
just now...

What... WHAT?! No seriously... I did NOT see that one coming. I mean,
it's a story about gods and angels fighting each other... and then THE ALIENS INVADED!
Why is this story so nuts? Is this what Project Sora does when they're allowed to do what they feel like? They should have gone with the original story for Brawl... I'm sure it'd have been much more crazy than the one we got.

And then I met
Pyhrron. He's awesome.
I loved the final lines of the chapter.
"Pyhrron senses danger. Now Pyhrron sees it!"
How can you not love that?

So, does the game get more nuts? Who am I kidding, of course it will, right?
That's actually my favorite segment of the story but don't worry, there are some classic moments ahead.

Tom_Cody

Why the FUCK isn't there a restart option? I've been trying to get the Gemini Orbitars for half an hour now and Pittoo keeps on NOT choosing the correct place to hide.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he chooses his sites based on the intensity you are playing on.

Chopper

Can anyone explain to me the difference between fusing gems and fusing weapons? Apart from the obvious cost in hearts, is there any reason not to turn the gems into weapons?

Tom_Cody

Can anyone explain to me the difference between fusing gems and fusing weapons? Apart from the obvious cost in hearts, is there any reason not to turn the gems into weapons?
That's the difference.

I'm pretty sure they implement the heart costs in order to prevent people from totally exploiting the system. Still though, it should cost you less to fuse two gems vs. breaking them and then fusing them.

Chopper

That's the difference.

I'm pretty sure they implement the heart costs in order to prevent people from totally exploiting the system. Still though, it should cost you less to fuse two gems vs. breaking them and then fusing them.
How could the system be exploited?

So, with the fusing, the chart displays an accurate depiction of what you get when two weapons are fused? And the question marks have mystery outcomes? Do we know if these are set, or are random? Can it beneficial to opt for a question mark?

Am I to assume a higher value attached to a weapon, the more powerful it is? And to gain higher value weapons, I need to heighten my intensity for drops? Cos fusing doesn't seem to raise values.

Sorry I'm lttp with all these noob questions. I'm desperately trying to get into this.

Also, I found that using my DSiXL stylus improves the experience about 300%.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Has anyone received their Nintendo.com Kid Icarus AR cards yet? I realize it was supposed to come by like, super ridiculously slow mail, but I totally forgot about them for 3 weeks, just remembered as I ordered a copy of Uprising today, and realized they're still not here.

Roto13

Has anyone received their Nintendo.com Kid Icarus AR cards yet? I realize it was supposed to come by like, super ridiculously slow mail, but I totally forgot about them for 3 weeks, just remembered as I ordered a copy of Uprising today, and realized they're still not here.

We all got ours over a month ago. :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
We all got ours over a month ago. :p

Hmm, well that's not good. I wonder where they delivered mine.

EDIT: Looks like my address was right. Wonderful for me. Looks like it got lost in the mail...fuck.

Oh god, I just realized I receive mail from other apartments once in a while because our mailman is incompetent. I'm sure someone else in my building received my cards, and decided to keep them because they're dickbags.

So, with the fusing, the chart displays an accurate depiction of what you get when two weapons are fused? And the question marks have mystery outcomes? Do we know if these are set, or are random? Can it beneficial to opt for a question mark?

Am I to assume a higher value attached to a weapon, the more powerful it is? And to gain higher value weapons, I need to heighten my intensity for drops? Cos fusing doesn't seem to raise values.

Sorry I'm lttp with all these noob questions. I'm desperately trying to get into this.

If fusing gems cost nothing, and someone had an awesome weapon, you could receive their weapon several times in gem form, fuse it with itself repeatedly to build up value and keep the abilities, and then fuse the resulting weapons which STILL have the same abilities to build up value further.

...also, what mystery outcomes? All fusions are set in stone. If you haven't unlocked a weapon yet, it'll show up as question marks in the fusion section.

And fusing CAN raise value, but the system gets exceedingly complicated. In a nutshell, as far as I understand it: Value is based on traits and stars. Fusing two weapons averages the two values and then adds a little. It then tries to match component traits as closely as possible to the final value, filling in the remainder with stars.

Tom_Cody

Imagine 5 friends. One friend make a weapon into a gem and trades it with the 4 other friends. Each of them does this with their top 3 weapons. They each then will have 12 great weapons from 3. That you have to spend hearts to redeem weapons prevents this sort of multiplication through sacrifice.
The question marks represent weapons that you haven't unlocked yet and you can't fuse those combinations until you unlock the weapons.

Weapons are unlocked in 3 ways: simply beating levels, finding them in Zodiac chambers, and fulfilling other conditions in the treasure hunt grid. Once they are unlocked they will appear randomly as drops, in the shop, and in the weapon fusion grid.

If you don't mind being spoiled, you can find all the weapon unlock conditions through google pretty easily.

Numerical values are associated with the weapon's ranged and melee stars as well as all of its other stats. The value is the total of all of these things. For this reason a 300 point Burning Palm could actually have a lower attack strength than a 230 point Burning Palm. Early on this doesn't matter (just pay attention to the high number), but pretty soon you are going to figure out which stats are important to you and you will begin to pay more attention to those than the total point value. As a Palm User, I always pay attention to ranged stars, then health/defense modifiers, then everything else (large glaring numbers aside).

Simply playing the game on higher intensities is always the best way to get better weapons. Weapons (and hearts for that matter) get exponentially better as you go up in intensity. Until you get to a very advanced stage in playing the game, your time will always be better spent just playing vs. screwing around with the weapon fusion grid.

To answer your specific fusion question, fusing weapons two weapon of similar point values will produce a result better than either of the combined weapons until you start playing with weapons valued at 300+. To put it another way, as you start to develop a mass of weapons that you don't need, just go ahead and fuse weapons of similar values. Their fused results will continue to increase in value (up to 300) and eventually those products will become actually useful to you.

NP
Although I have put 40+ hours into this I actually haven't tried using my DSiXL stylus yet. I will have to give that a go tonight.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Beat chapter
-15-
just now...

What... WHAT?! No seriously... I did NOT see that one coming. I mean,
it's a story about gods and angels fighting each other... and then THE ALIENS INVADED!
Why is this story so nuts? Is this what Project Sora does when they're allowed to do what they feel like? They should have gone with the original story for Brawl... I'm sure it'd have been much more crazy than the one we got.

And then I met
Pyhrron. He's awesome.
I loved the final lines of the chapter.
"Pyhrron senses danger. Now Pyhrron sees it!"
How can you not love that?

So, does the game get more nuts? Who am I kidding, of course it will, right?

The next chapter is even better

McNum

The next chapter is even better
Eh, it was alright. So was the next one, that was one really tough fight. Got my first I'm Finished there. Anyone have a translation of what
Pyrrhon said in binary?

But at least the game has done all the crazy it can, or so I thought... I just completed chapter
-18-
. In light of recent events, I would like to retract my previous "WHAT?!" as it is much more suited for THIS particular chapter. Possibly with a "the hell!?" added to it.

So I'm a little girl. Now I'm a dog. Now I'm... Magnus? Okay that's pretty cool. Why am I fighting Centurions, though? Oh, Pit is the boss? Sure, why not? No flying section this level? Oh, there it is. Viridi?! Then who was... Palutena is evil now?!

This game... I swear. It's just going to keep escalating until it ends, isn't it?

Also, the music in
Viridi's Solo Menu
is kind of nice.

Chopper

Imagine 5 friends. One friend make a weapon into a gem and trades it with the 4 other friends. Each of them does this with their top 3 weapons. They each then will have 12 great weapons from 3. That you have to spend hearts to redeem weapons prevents this sort of multiplication through sacrifice.The question marks represent weapons that you haven't unlocked yet and you can't fuse those combinations until you unlock the weapons.
Is the only way to trade gems through Streetpass?

Otherwise, thanks for the info. I will enjoy fusing some weapons later, now that I've found a sweet staff I'm happy with for the time being.

Whilst I'm here, I just played a few rounds of multiplaye for the first time. Not nearly as frightening as I thought it would be, I actually did pretty well. Killed up some motherfuckers, got a butt-load of hearts and unlocked some new weapons and abilities. My question is, how does loot work? I mean, I unlocked a couple of weapons, but I couldn't work out how. I lucked out and won the "lottery" for a weapon at the end of one round. But otherwise, should I be picking up everything I see under a yellow arrow? I want more weapons!

And what the hell is a Daybreak? I think I picked up a part of it?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm lttp with this one. Got it on Saturday and I'm really enjoying it. Much longer than I realised. Still haven't finished it because I keep replaying the earlier levels on higher difficulty.

Haven't tried online yet. The one time I chose it I kept get connection errors.

Tom_Cody

Is the only way to trade gems through Streetpass?
Yes
Whilst I'm here, I just played a few rounds of multiplaye for the first time. Not nearly as frightening as I thought it would be, I actually did pretty well. Killed up some motherfuckers, got a butt-load of hearts and unlocked some new weapons and abilities. My question is, how does loot work? I mean, I unlocked a couple of weapons, but I couldn't work out how. I lucked out and won the "lottery" for a weapon at the end of one round. But otherwise, should I be picking up everything I see under a yellow arrow? I want more weapons!

And what the hell is a Daybreak? I think I picked up a part of it?
The only loot that you will carry out of the mode is the loot that you can randomly receive at the end of each match. Those other pickups are temporary. Daybreak is one of those temporary items. It is very similar to the Dragoon from Brawl- assemble three parts to get a devastating single use weapon.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/item14.html
http://kidicarus.nintendo.com/uprising/multiplayer/multiplayer-items.html#daybreak

PK Gaming

I'm one chapter away from completing every stage on 9.0. Chapter
is seriously driving me nuts.

It is by far the hardest and most irritating chapter to deal with and its standing in my way of total awesomeness. It makes me sad :(

Insaniac

I wish you got more hearts for playing multiplayer :( 150-250 hearts on average is kinda weak, considering I play much more MP than SP

McNum

And with a bit of powering on through, I'm through the game.

This is one of those games were it's impossible to spoil the story for anyone who hasn't played, because, frankly, if you had told me that the final chapter would be a
Mecha fight against Hades
I wouldn't have believed you.

Fun ride, I do like it when Nintendo show off their crazier side, and this game? Yeah, this is one of those. It could just have been a standard railshooter with an on-foot battle system as well, and it kind of is. Until you add the characters and dialogue. So many laugh out loud moments. You almost suspect the enemies are doing it on purpose to distract you.

Well, after taking down (everything spoilers)
the Underworld Army, the Forces of Nature, the Space Pirates, the alien invaders,
Palutena's Army
, and finally Hades in a god to mecha fight
, I think it's time for a break.

By the way, does setting the menu to
Viridi's theme
in the Hidden Options change anything?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
And with a bit of powering on through, I'm through the game.

This is one of those games were it's impossible to spoil the story for anyone who hasn't played, because, frankly, if you had told me that the final chapter would be a
Mecha fight against Hades
I wouldn't have believed you.

Fun ride, I do like it when Nintendo show off their crazier side, and this game? Yeah, this is one of those. It could just have been a standard railshooter with an on-foot battle system as well, and it kind of is. Until you add the characters and dialogue. So many laugh out loud moments. You almost suspect the enemies are doing it on purpose to distract you.

Well, after taking down (everything spoilers)
the Underworld Army, the Forces of Nature, the Space Pirates, the alien invaders,
Palutena's Army
, and finally Hades in a god to mecha fight
, I think it's time for a break.

By the way, does setting the menu to
Viridi's theme
in the Hidden Options change anything?

You can now offer hearts to Viridi instead, and I hear doing so unlocks a cutscene in one of the chapters

Uprising has been one of the most pleasant surprises I've had in a long time – I can't get enough of this game!

Right now, I'm trying to clear
Chapter 18
on 9.0, and I'm having the hardest time since
I have to play as Magnus and can't use any of my good 300+ weapons
. Seriously, if I have to spend much more time wiping because of this, I'm tempted to put down KI for awhile and work on something else in my backlog. It's driving me crazy.

Anybody have any really good advice/tips?

Now that I'm free from the shackles of Tales of Graces, I'm about to power through this game like a beast.

I'll have to join in some of the multi-player games once I get a better feeling for it.

clemenx

Banned
Uhh I'm not sure I'm having fun with this game now :( Something about the longer stages since chapter 9 is throwing me off. Perhaps I should lower the intensity as I'm striving for higher difficulty but something's just off. Still just on chapter 15 and I'm still loving the banter so I will definitely finish this game.

Oh and every female character so far is absolutely remarkable in this game, it's amazing.

Beat the game

They should have made the flying section more fun in the final battle. I couldn't figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing when Hades was shooting those blue and purple orbs out of his hands initially

Overall: GOTY? GOTY

Korosenai

Beat the game

They should have made the flying section more fun in the final battle. I couldn't figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing when Hades was shooting those blue and purple orbs out of his hands initially

Overall: GOTY? GOTY

I was the same way as well during that fight. Took me 3 tries to finally figure out what was going on.

And yes, so far this is definitely GOTY (imo)

Sagitario

Imagine 5 friends. One friend make a weapon into a gem and trades it with the 4 other friends. Each of them does this with their top 3 weapons. They each then will have 12 great weapons from 3. That you have to spend hearts to redeem weapons prevents this sort of multiplication through sacrifice.The question marks represent weapons that you haven't unlocked yet and you can't fuse those combinations until you unlock the weapons.

Weapons are unlocked in 3 ways: simply beating levels, finding them in Zodiac chambers, and fulfilling other conditions in the treasure hunt grid. Once they are unlocked they will appear randomly as drops, in the shop, and in the weapon fusion grid.

If you don't mind being spoiled, you can find all the weapon unlock conditions through google pretty easily.

Numerical values are associated with the weapon's ranged and melee stars as well as all of its other stats. The value is the total of all of these things. For this reason a 300 point Burning Palm could actually have a lower attack strength than a 230 point Burning Palm. Early on this doesn't matter (just pay attention to the high number), but pretty soon you are going to figure out which stats are important to you and you will begin to pay more attention to those than the total point value. As a Palm User, I always pay attention to ranged stars, then health/defense modifiers, then everything else (large glaring numbers aside).

Simply playing the game on higher intensities is always the best way to get better weapons. Weapons (and hearts for that matter) get exponentially better as you go up in intensity. Until you get to a very advanced stage in playing the game, your time will always be better spent just playing vs. screwing around with the weapon fusion grid.

To answer your specific fusion question, fusing weapons two weapon of similar point values will produce a result better than either of the combined weapons until you start playing with weapons valued at 300+. To put it another way, as you start to develop a mass of weapons that you don't need, just go ahead and fuse weapons of similar values. Their fused results will continue to increase in value (up to 300) and eventually those products will become actually useful to you.

NPAlthough I have put 40+ hours into this I actually haven't tried using my DSiXL stylus yet. I will have to give that a go tonight.

o_O
There should be a Fusion for Dummies guide... it's kind of overwhelming.
I finally found 2 weapons I am comfortable with, but they aren't that great (and I am not very good at the game yet).
I am only in chapter 6 or 7, though (
the Poseidon chapter
)

Chopper

Fusing gems costs hearts too?! Dammit.

Is it just me, or does it not tell you how much it costs to convert gems into weapons...?

Tom_Cody

Ah, nice, thanks. So might it be beneficial to create a gem of a weapon that I have if I wanted to fuse it with a gem I have received over Spotpass? Or can you not do that?
You can't do that.

When you convert a weapon into a gem, it does not go into your gem pile, it is just held on its own to be traded with people via street pass. If you convert another gem later it will replace the first one.

Tom_Cody

o_O
There should be a Fusion for Dummies guide... it's kind of overwhelming.
I finally found 2 weapons I am comfortable with, but they aren't that great (and I am not very good at the game yet).
I am only in chapter 6 or 7, though (
the Poseidon chapter
)
Sorry for the waterfall of text.

Just keep challenging yourself to play on higher intensities if you want better weapons.

At this point you will have only tried a very small number of the available weapons, so just keep experimenting until you figure out what you want.

Also, at this point weapon fusion will be a win win for you. Just fuse as many weapons as possible and they will keep going up in value. Eventually you will get something you will like.

PK Gaming

I did it, I beat every stage on 9.0 intensity. It was a LONG ride, but well worth the effort.
I got 999 999 hearts as reward

♪And to the victor, go the spoils♪

Hardest gaming related challenge i've ever seriously attempted in my life, feels good man. I will post proof of doing so in a few hours.

Top Bottom