• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

muu

Holy crap at all the internet drama you guys've been dealing with. Good luck on the rest of your matches!

Need to play some multiplayer again, but Nintendo's newest dating sim (Fire Emblem)'s been sucking up my gaming time dry.

vanty

hmm I fused a good compact arm but I'm not sure what its strengths are, it seems average in both melee and range :(
Yeah I've got a few arms with good stats but I just don't really get them. They're supposedly one of the best weapon types but they just seem crappy to me.

Though I have gotten so used to my Fairy Orbitars (fast running, fast charge, massive long range damage) that most weapons don't seem to work very well ahah.

Roto13

Like four or five stars melee, I think? And a handful of abilities I don't remember. (I have Tales of the AByss in sleep mode right now so I can't check.) It was a yellow gem.

Magnus Clubs are good ranged weapons, and only mediocre for melee.

Are you serious?!

Magnus Clubs have the highest melee strength in the game (a six-starred melee combo does upwards of 300 damage), and their charge shot, however powerful it may be, only has a range of about 20 metres. They key to using them is to ambush the opponent and then melee the crap out of them.

Korosenai

Are you serious?!

Magnus Clubs have the highest melee strength in the game (a six-starred melee combo does upwards of 300 damage), and their charge shot, however powerful it may be, only has a range of about 20 metres. They key to using them is to ambush the opponent and then melee the crap out of them.

Pretty much what Scrafty just said.

Are you serious?!

No, Ogre Clubs have the highest melee in the game (it even says so on the idol). The benefit of the Magnus Club is the super fast recharge time on the charged shot and its good homing ability. If you just want to melee the Magnus Club is not your best choice.

My Ogre Club does 350 damage with a melee dash attack, and 290 with a combo at having only 5 melee stars.

Karsticles is right about the Ogre Club. The other big benefit of the Magnus club is that it offers a large speed boost, such that you're almost able to move as though you were not wielding a club.

You're probably better off with 6 stars of ranged and using the charged back dash to tornado anything within melee range to death.

Karsticles is right about the Ogre Club. The other big benefit of the Magnus club is that it offers a large speed boost, such that you're almost able to move as though you were not wielding a club.

You're probably better off with 6 stars of ranged and using the charged back dash to tornado anything within melee range to death.

The charged shot is nice, but the real benefit of the speed is to quickly get within melee range. If if a Magnus Club has 6 stars in melee and ranged, the melee combo is still going to do more damage (unmodified it does 310 compared to the 260 of a charge shot)
and be harder to dodge. The charge should be used only if you're approaching the enemy from the front and they have the potential to KO you before you reach them. Otherwise, it's almost always smarter and safer to try and sneak up behind them with a melee combo.

Roto13

The Magnus Club may not be the absolute most powerful melee weapon in the whole wide game, but it's certainly better as a melee weapon than a ranged weapon, come on.

The charged shot is nice, but the real benefit of the speed is to quickly get within melee range. If if a Magnus Club has 6 stars in melee and ranged, the melee combo is still going to do more damage (unmodified it does 310 compared to the 260 of a charge shot)
and be harder to dodge. The charge should be used only if you're approaching the enemy from the front and they have the potential to KO you before you reach them. Otherwise, it's almost always smarter and safer to try and sneak up behind them with a melee combo.
I don't feel like Speed is a huge factor just because there are so many powers that take up little space that let you run super fast. Generally, the bigger difficulty is either winning melee exchanges with the club, which IMO requires armor unless your opponent is bad, or them getting surprised, since it's hard as hell to land the melee dash attack on a mobile opponent (you almost always get a death-resulting charge dash attack instead).

The fact is that with my Ogre Club, which does have Speed +4, there's a massive difference between when I play decent players and when I play good ones. It's really easy to be Mr. Invisible Assassin against decent players, but good ones are moving around so much that it's hard to get that attack to land perfectly, whereas the Magnus Club's charged dash attack will almost absolutely land.

IIRC, player life at default is 232, so whether you do 260 or 310 damage doesn't really matter against anyone who isn't stacking defense on their weapon, and if a person is stacking defense, that person probably isn't very scary in PvP anyway, but there are exceptions. I don't think it's a common enough situation to make it the killing blow in your argument.

Both, but definitely 2, the boobs in that game are unreal.
How is the actual game? Haha. Especially compared to DS1.

The Magnus Club may not be the absolute most powerful melee weapon in the whole wide game, but it's certainly better as a melee weapon than a ranged weapon, come on.
I disagree. Especially in single player. I had a 6/6 Magnus Club for a while, and the charged shot recharges so fast that it's ridiculous. It's so SAFE, whereas melee attacks leave you vulnerable, especially with a club. I pretty much exclusively use clubs in PvP, and that's my experience. I've teamed up with guys that consistently score 3000+ each LvD battle that use Magnus Clubs, and it's always a 6 Range, +4 charged dash attack weapon out there annihilating.

I wish I could know for certain whether you can get shot range on a Magnus Club, too.

Insaniac

i myself prefer speed over sheer damage, so I favor claws, I've got a raptor claw with +2 speed/+4 stamina, +4 melee combo but only 3 1/2 stars melee, but it hits fast.

I downloaded a zip file off youtube that had about 60 songs in it.

That's not the official one, though, and the tracks that are on Youtube (that aren't from the official soundtrack) are of really low quality. It's disappointing, because I would have liked a high-quality version of the chapter 21 music.

Korosenai

That's not the official one, though, and the tracks that are on Youtube (that aren't from the official soundtrack) are of really low quality. It's disappointing, because I would have liked a high-quality version of the chapter 21 music.
They sound high quality to me, and it was every song you can unlock through treasure boards.

This is what they all sound like (quality wise)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xteSYHtMhFU

PK Gaming

How is the actual game? Haha. Especially compared to DS1.

On a gameplay level, it builds on everything that made the first game good and makes it 10X better. There's a demon compendium which lets you save your demons and buy them again, which makes fusing a breeze, there's the SDTP which lets you swap demons amongst party members mid battle, etc. There are like 14 playable characters of characters, and you get access to like 80% of them early on. Storywise the game is really good, (I preferred DS1 though). I'd get it now if If you have the money.

Damn. Even if another dev picked up the game it just won't be the same. I know its too early to consider a sequel, but there a huge amount of finality to his response... Here's hoping we get a sequel 5 or 6 years down the line... maybe even after smash 4 is made. I have to agree with him on game length though hahaha...

Korosenai

I will be hosting some LVD matches in about 20 minutes.

You are welcome to join, and if i'm not on your friends list, then just add me

FC: 5155-3032-4812

Insaniac

You mean you move fast, right? I didn't think speed affected combo speed.

well yeah I meant move fast, but I was more referring to my ability to hit and run before the enemy can recover.

That makes me sad :(

At least i have this awesome game i can play now though. It kind of makes sense that theres not gonna be a sequel though, the ending never really showed any signs of one happening.

Since this game has so much content and its multiplayer is so good, I feel it would last a looong time. If they never made SSBB, I would've been absolutely fine with continuing to play Melee

Also if anyone would be as so kind to make me a KI avatar, I was thinking photoshopping some Raptor claws onto homers hands over the doughnuts :D

vaIV3.jpg

On a gameplay level, it builds on everything that made the first game good and makes it 10X better. There's a demon compendium which lets you save your demons and buy them again, which makes fusing a breeze, there's the SDTP which lets you swap demons amongst party members mid battle, etc. There are like 14 playable characters of characters, and you get access to like 80% of them early on. Storywise the game is really good, (I preferred DS1 though). I'd get it now if If you have the money.
Thanks for all that.

well yeah I meant move fast, but I was more referring to my ability to hit and run before the enemy can recover.
I dig.

Top Bottom