• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising will be bundled with a....stand

Was there confirmation the stand works with the circle Pad Pro or is it a case of giving with the right hand (adding support so left-handed controls can work) and taking with the left (making a stand which can't accommodate said addition) so to speak?
^ I somehow doubt the mass of the CP Pro will be so high it adjusts the centre of mass so the stand fails to function.

Also, is this game going to (or was ever supposed to) make any profit at all? I mean its coming with a stand now which will add costs (not just $0.008569 of plastic but shipping that plastic as it means you can transport less copies of the game in the same volume etc) as do the anime shorts being made.

Then again I wonder what is up with the AR cards? The money will probably be squeezed there just like the eCard reader, right?

Then again I own this
939902_89241_front.jpg

and love it so can't really complain about stands.
That is not really a stand, rather an optical mouse

I guess that was also this (Magnet Stand NTR-022) too which the intendod (get it?) use was like Cooking Guide: Let NOE decide what to eat/Personal Traininer: Cooking AGE and likewise from what I can gather.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Err...right now on Amazon Shinrei Camera is at 4500 Yen, when its price should be 3800.
Pretty sold out there, indeed O_O

holy crap - yeah - it's selling out , again - Fatal Frame games in Japan tend to have low shipping numbers and become rare quickly. Might be a repeat.

Played about 20 minutes - so far, it's doing a great job. I stopped playing so i could play at midnight but i stupidly fell asleep.

Luigiv

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't this game work on the Wii control-wise? From what I can tell, they've shown nothing that looks like something that S&P2 hasn't already done.

Ground controls. To turn the camera you need to swipe across the screen, whilst holding and drawing will move the reticle as the camera remains (mostly) static. That wouldn't translate to the Wiimote at all since the Wiimote in a definitive pointing device only, whilst this control scheme requires relative pointing. You could replicate the control scheme with a mouse but not a Wiimote.

PKrockin

Ground controls. To turn the camera you need to swipe across the screen, whilst holding and drawing will move the reticle as the camera remains (mostly) static. That wouldn't translate to the Wiimote at all since the Wiimote in a definitive pointing device only, whilst this control scheme requires relative pointing. You could replicate the control scheme with a mouse but not a Wiimote.

Camera = D-pad?

Wouldn't be as precise but I think it would work.

Yes, and that is an inherit fault of the 3DS technology that is universal across all games.

It's emblematic of what a giant disaster the 3DS design is:

You can't use the circle pad and the stylus controls at the same time comfortably.
You can't use the stylus on the (now primary) 3D screen.
The tilt controls interfere with the 3D effect.
4 years after the iPhone launched they are still using a resistive touch screen.
The 3D effect and dual screens take them from market leaders in battery life to worse than a 10 times more powerful Vita.
They released a system in 2011 (focused on 3 dimensional gaming!) with no second analog control standard, creating the need for something as absurd as the frankenstick.
They launched at an obscene price and literally had to bribe everyone they ripped off with free games.

It's just an endless array of problems, each with its own band-aid solution (usually incompatible with the other band-aid solutions). It's farcical. I honestly have no idea why anyone would pay money for one right now.

You can't use the circle pad and the stylus controls at the same time comfortably.
4 years after the iPhone launched they are still using a resistive touch screen.
The 3D effect and dual screens take them from market leaders in battery life to worse than a 10 times more powerful Vita.
They released a system in 2011 (focused on 3 dimensional gaming!) with no second analog control standard, creating the need for something as absurd as the frankenstick.
They launched at an obscene price and literally had to bribe everyone they ripped off with free games.

It's just an endless array of problems, each with its own band-aid solution (usually incompatible with the other band-aid solutions). It's farcical. I honestly have no idea why anyone would pay money for one right now.
I don't disagree with any of your points, but the answer to your question is obvious: software.

I don't disagree with any of your points, but the answer to your question is obvious: software.

Sure, but those games will still be there when they roll out a hardware revision with a second circle pad and better battery life.

And in general, it's extremely frustrating to watch Nintendo struggle to make good games on terrible hardware. The most exciting thing about Wii-U will be seeing what kind of games they should have been making 6 years ago.

Luigiv

Camera = D-pad?

Wouldn't be as precise but I think it would work.
Yeah but that's a fundmentally different control scheme. My original argument (which has kinda been lost in the quote chain) was that the controls were not adapted from the Wii but designed with the 3ds from the beggining.

tsab

Was there confirmation the stand works with the circle Pad Pro or is it a case of giving with the right hand (adding support so left-handed controls can work) and taking with the left (making a stand which can't accommodate said addition) so to speak?
^ I somehow doubt the mass of the CP Pro will be so high it adjusts the centre of mass so the stand fails to function.

Also, is this game going to (or was ever supposed to) make any profit at all? I mean its coming with a stand now which will add costs (not just $0.008569 of plastic but shipping that plastic as it means you can transport less copies of the game in the same volume etc) as do the anime shorts being made.

Then again I wonder what is up with the AR cards? The money will probably be squeezed there just like the eCard reader, right?

Then again I own this
939902_89241_front.jpg

and love it so can't really complain about stands.
That is not really a stand, rather an optical mouse

I guess that was also this (Magnet Stand NTR-022) too which the intendod (get it?) use was like Cooking Guide: Let NOE decide what to eat/Personal Traininer: Cooking AGE and likewise from what I can gather.

I own it too but never got the chance to play it. Thank god that I didn't buy the Face training camera too. :p (the "game" is ported to DSiware and released in PAL too!)

Shiggy

I own it too but never got the chance to play it. Thank god that I didn't buy the Face training camera too. :p (the "game" is ported to DSiware and released in PAL too!)

The PAL version is only compatible with the DSi (XL) as they did not bother to release the camera over here. It was an utter failure though, now being available at around 5€ instead of 30€.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't know it it's a news here, but

"Nintendo is including a free stand with all copies of the Kid Icarus: Uprising game for the Nintendo 3DS system. The stand holds the Nintendo 3DS at an angle above any flat surface and provides players with a comfortable option for playing," the statement continues. "The game's control scheme was designed to fit the game's unique blend of flight, shooting and melee combat, and offers tremendous precision. Our product testing demonstrated that players found the stand to be comfortable and enjoyable." - NoA statment

http://www.shacknews.com/article/71967/kid-icarus-uprising-plastic-stand-included-in-us-version-as?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Any handheld system and any game on system that makes it harder to play/uncomfortable to hold in your hand has failed miserably from the start.

Wolfe

Sure, but those games will still be there when they roll out a hardware revision with a second circle pad and better battery life.

And in general, it's extremely frustrating to watch Nintendo struggle to make good games on terrible hardware. The most exciting thing about Wii-U will be seeing what kind of games they should have been making 6 years ago.

Yeah the nerve of people wanting to play those good games now instead of a year or two from now, who do they think they are!

Also just because you think they're struggling to make good games on "terrible" hardware does not make it so.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

A frustration to be sure, but not much different from the original DS stylus + dpad control frustrations. Not sure what they can do about that other than bring back the thumb pad.

Technology limitations that don't severely limit the device's functionality. The top screen was never expected to be touch, hence the split system design, so why not make it 3D? Tilt impacting 3D is, again, a tech limitation with no work around. It's there for those who want to use it, and 3D can be disabled to prevent screen blurring.

This is pretty subjective and a debate for another time.

Moreso a hardware size issue along with battery tech limitations. Battery tech is fucking annoying as it desperately needs to move forward to keep up with processing speeds. The very low battery life of the 3DS is very frustrating though.

Agreed.

Agreed, but this is typical Nintendo price hiking. They always do it because they love their money, and usually get away with it. This time they didn't, and rightly got burned.

As for why people would buy the 3DS; it has some fun games, the system works, 3D looks neat, and some like the novelty of a new paper weight. I own one, paid at launch, bummed about a lot of stuff (you didn't even mention the screen scratching), but still wouldn't go back in time and revert my purchase. 3D works and the games, so far, are fun. That's enough for me, even if there's a metric shit ton of improvements needed.

A resistive touch screen is more precise then a capacitive touch screen. So for things like drawing its better.

Also I dont remember being able to use the stylus on the top screen on the DSI , or the regular DS either.

THe franken stick was asked for by the third parties. Nintendo did not feel they needed it for their games. They made it because other companies asked for it.

The vita also is on the expensive side for a lot of people.

The only problem i have with mine is it cramps my right hand up when I am playing.

It's so weird that they seem to be bundling the stand with every single copy, I hadn't realised until now. Doesn't seem to be something most people would want to use, but maybe I'd wrong.

THe franken stick was asked for by the third parties. Nintendo did not feel they needed it for their games. They made it because other companies asked for it.

I'd be very surprised if it was that simple, another company could have easily made their own add-on like Activision and Taito did for the DS.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think this has more to do with the stand bundle elevating the prominence of the game in retail for pennies than it being particularily great and required for playing the game. It takes the game from being 'just another release' to something that feels a bit special and valuable.

Nintendo has done this every once in a while to boost sales of solod games that are in risk of being too low profile and unknown - Earthbound (US / scratch cards), Terranigma (PAL / strategy guide), Super Metroid (Sweden / map book).

I get that, but ... it's just a plastic stand, it doesn't even have stylus holders!
clud9.jpg

Don't they have other things to pimp it with, like some of these?
6fbpZ.jpg

Jarsonot

When I first saw the stand my first thought was that it's basically for younger kids and old people. That 90-year old woman who plays DS would probably need a stand for Kid Icarus. Me? Not so much. And I can see younger kids needing it too.

Now I realize that actual adults find the system uncomfortable to hold. I don't have that problem, but I suppose a certain percentage of the population does. What I like about the stand is that it shows Nintendo is actively thinking about the user. The fact that they choose to bundle this for free shows (again) that they're willing to take a loss for the benefit of the end-user. I like that.

Also, this is the first 3D game with these controls. Perhaps it didn't occur to them until late in the cycle that the stand may be useful to people. Maybe now that they have this experience behind them they'll think about different control schemes for future games that use 3DS.

I'm getting the game 'cause I think it looks like fun, and them throwing me a free stand and retro Kid Icarus is just icing on the cake.

Nintendo really are throwing everything at this one, I have a feeling that it'll pay off and it well sell well though no way will it be an absolute mega hit

Top Bottom