• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

31RtSw6.jpg

(Thanks to Neosoma for the banner)

Does anyone remember when Gurren Lagann came out? Of course you do, it was a worldwide phenomenon. The high-energy classic inspired people to go out and kick reason to the curb! When people told them "you'll never be able to do that!", they said "shut up Dad, don't believe in yourself, believe in the you that believes in me!". Obama attributed his success in the presidential race to Gurren Lagann. Isaac Newton told reporters that Gurren Lagann inspired him to discover gravity. Abraham Lincoln has gone on record saying "hey, you know how there's all slaves and shit? Well Kamina and Simon wouldn't tolerate that! So I freed them."

Well the people responsible for the best anime of all time are back with something they claim to be even MORE high energy. How is that possible you say!? How the fuck should I know!?

Introducing Kill la Kill, some anime about high school fighting, featuring more godly animation and all around hot-blooded action!

p5LsflD.png

Staff

Original Work TRIGGER・Kazuki Nakashima
Director Hiroyuki Imaishi
Series Composition/Script Kazuki Nakashima
Character Design/ Chief Animation Director SUSHIO
Assistant Director Akira Amemiya
Creative Director Shigeto Koyama
Set Design You Yoshinari
Creative Officer Hiromi Wakabayashi
Art Director Yuji Kaneko
Color Setting Yukiko Kakita
Director of Photography Toyonori Yamada
Sound Director Yoshikazu Iwanami
Music Hiroyuki Sawano
Editing Junichi Uematsu
Animation Production TRIGGER
Opening Theme Song Eir Aoi

Characters:

Ryuko Matoi
PhJlPZu.png

Wielding the giant “Scissor Blade,” she transfers into Honnouji Academy, seeking for the other half
of the blade.

Satsuki Kiryuin
wpI0D1e.png

Satsuki is the student council president who rules over
Honnouji Academy with unquestionable force and fear. She carries her beloved sword “Bakuzan” by her side.

Mako Mankanshoku
l1UzGv9.png

Mako is a second year student at Honnouji Academy. She is an uber air-head, so her unbelievable actions never cease to shock and awe the people around her. She strongly believes that she and Ryuko are best of friends even though they have just met.

Aikuro Mikisugi
LGeoHgZ.png

A mysterious male teacher who keeps looking at Ryuko so intently.

Uzu Sanageyama
djt6Pd7.png

Uzu is one of the “The Elite Four” in the student council. He regulates the student athletic teams of the academy including the Tennis and Boxing team.

Houka Inumuta
bOL59fY.png

Houka is one of the “The Elite Four” in the student council. He specializes in analyzing information to provide maximum efficiency with minimal effort. He is in charge of the finance and strategic planning of the student council.

Ira Gamagoori
woAl2LU.png

Ira is one of the “The Elite Four” in the student council. He swears absolute allegiance to Satsuki and is in charge of the disciplinary committee in Honnouji Academy.

Nonon Jakuzure
Lp1rK77.png

Nonon is the only female member of the “The Elite Four” group. She regulates the non-athletic student clubs such as the gardening club and the biology club.

Senketsu
1Y3Igt5.png

A “kamui” that Ryuko ends up wearing. He is a talking sailor uniform who carries Ryuko’s father’s strong will within him.Unfortunately, his memory is not too clear about the past and doesn’t seem to remember too much.

Streaming

Crunchyroll
Daisuki
Aniplex

And here's my impressions (animegaffers that watched it, feel free to cross-post).

Kill la Kill 1

What does the term 'hot-blooded' mean to you? Does it carry a negative connotation that merely displays a shallow exhibition of style over substance, or is it an inspiring and desirable trait showing off just what you can accomplish when you're all gung-ho about stuff? For me, it's the latter.

Being hot-blooded isn't about solving problems by yelling at them. It's about solving problems while yelling at them. We're not talking about some 80s action movie/dudebro game where it's badass for the sake of being badass, but rather badass for the sake of progress. The point of these characters isn't "I wish I could be that guy" but rather "I wish I could do the things that guy does". I won't call them self-inserts, because while I'm obviously not going to be throwing around galaxies in a mech nearly the size of an entire universe, I can still aspire to tackle problems and roadblocks with the same energetic enthusiasm as these people with such otherworldly issues. Kicking reason to the curb works when it's what's holding you back, and that's a mindset to keep when facing adversity or whatever. No motivational bullshit works if you can't actually understand "if it isn't 0%, it might as well be 100!". That is what being hot-blooded means to me, and I think Imaishi has the same idea.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yes sir, I like it. I also have no idea what to expect, which is very exciting.

Mesoian

This show is hot blooded as SHIT. Everyone's spirit is awesome and it gets me super pumped up.

Matoi's fucking outfit though. Christ. That type of pandering bullshit is what makes me stop watching most animes that come out now a days.

I'm sticking with it, but man I wish that was different. I can't even wave it off like I did for Cutie Honey: Re.

Mesoian

What was the last major high school fighting anime? Tenjho Tenge?

Maken-Ki. A show I stopped watching when it became more about tits than it was about fighting.

In general, if your show becomes more about tits than it does about plot, your show isn't worth watching. I don't want that to happen here because other than Matoi's outfit, this show was cool as hell.

789shadow

Banned
Only thing I don't like is the pandering battle suit. Yeah I know this isn't a show that is supposed to be taken seriously, but that suit would be dreadful in even the most ridiculous show.

Gazoinks

Ah yes quoted in an OT. Gazoinks is movin' up in the world.

Plot prediction (Gurren Lagann spoilers):
Ryuuko dies and then the show turns out to be about Mako. :p

Only thing I don't like is the pandering battle suit. Yeah I know this isn't a show that is supposed to be taken seriously, but that suit would be dreadful in even the most ridiculous show.

Yeah, this is my only real problem right now. Holding out hope for her upgrading to something less skimpy. Won't stop me from watching the show if she doesn't, but I do hope something happens.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
the only way to fight the oppression of clothing is with near nudity.

Matoi's fucking outfit though. Christ. That type of pandering bullshit is what makes me stop watching most animes that come out now a days.

I don't get the fuss. Yes, it's a super-fanservicey outfit, but have you ever watched Queen's Blade or Hyakka Ryouran? This is nothing. It didn't even get a reaction out of me.

Mesoian

I don't get the fuss. Yes, it's a super-fanservicey outfit, but have you ever watched Queen's Blade or Hyakka Ryouran? This is nothing. It didn't even get a reaction out of me.

Those shows were also wank trash that NEVER had a chance of being interesting outside of "LOOK HOW BIG WE CAN GET THESE TITS!" The first episode of Queen's Blade has a girl's tits expand so big, they explode. Naw son.

This show has a real chance of being something special and yes, that damn outfit gets in the way.

Jarmel

Banned

Dude, those are like the most ecchi shows you get right before you hit hentai. Even then the outfit is on the risque side.

DominoKid

incredible debut. episode 2 cant come soon enough.

my only complaint about the outfit is when they did the panty shot. cmon breh. other than that i actually love the design.

LordCanti

Episode 1 was definitely great. I'm hopeful that the rest of the series can maintain (or surpass) that level.

I noticed that (not necessarily spoilers, but theories based on observations)
the school itself has eyes, a neck, and the shoulder outline of a seifuku. I wonder if that is just a motif, or if the whole school is going to enter the fray at some point.

Nice OT OP.

Edit: Oh, if we're posting impressions:

The animation style is really working for me, as is the general atmosphere of the show. After seeing a classmate get
beaten to death by the student council
they all go back to class and resume their day. When asked about it, Mako tells her that
it happens all the time and that she shouldn't worry about it
in a comic tone. That carried through to the guys getting
boiled in hot oil and then emerging battered and fried
and other stuff like that. That's very reminiscent of FLCL to me, although there are obviously shades of Gurren Lagann in the basic premise of
her having to fight minions in order to get to bigger bosses, which mimics Viral/Tymlyph (sp), Viral/ Uhh...Ocean Lady, etc

I'm not in love with the design of her outfit, but assuming that it will
fill in as she absorbs the power or threads or whatever of the other Goku
it's not a big deal to me. It's definitely not the turnoff that it seems to be for some people.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Those shows were also wank trash that NEVER had a chance of being interesting outside of "LOOK HOW BIG WE CAN GET THESE TITS!" The first episode of Queen's Blade has a girl's tits expand so big, they explode. Naw son.

This show has a real chance of being something special and yes, that damn outfit gets in the way.

Just curious, did you also have an issue with Yoko in Gurren?

Dude, those are like the most ecchi shows you get right before you hit hentai. Even then the outfit is on the risque side.

It's risque, yes. But it wasn't intended to be taken seriously. They even draw attention to how ridiculous it is via the show's own dialogue.

I don't think you can make it better by comparing it to other things.

I'm not trying to make it "better". It is what it is. I just think everyone is seriously overreacting.

TnK

Oh man, I only reached half of the first episode and this show is FREAKING AWESOME!

Anyone ever notice how Platinum games and shows made by the person that made TTGL are very similar? I sometimes feel that PG was inspired by TTGL craziness.

Really loved episode 1. Super fast paced and insane. I'll be tuning in from now on. Gotta agree about the suit. I mean, fanservice is one thing, but this is just straight up redonk. I hope that one theory someone mentioned in the other thread about
the suit absorbing clothing and becoming less revealing
is true.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Really loved episode 1. Super fast paced and insane. I'll be tuning in from now on. Gotta agree about the suit. I mean, fanservice is one thing, but this is just straight up redonk. I hope that one theory someone mentioned in the other thread about
the suit absorbing clothing and becoming less revealing
is true.

Less disturbing then some of the other theories going on at the moment.

Mesoian

Just curious, did you also have an issue with Yoko in Gurren?

I was worried when she first showed up. But her outfit was contexualized well enough that in the end, it didn't really matter. Hell, Yoko never looked better than when she was in her school marm outfit. If you live in the desert, are a sniper, and don't have to deal with frontline combat, wearing a bikini top and short shorts, at the very least, isn't outlandish. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but...it's an anime, you let things slide.

Her final outfit was fucking retarded though. It wasn't pandering, it was just ugly.

There's NONE OF THAT with Matoi's outfit though. There's time to contextualize it...but let's not beat around the bush here (durhurhur), she's fighting in a talking sling. That shit is dumb in every possible context, design, combat, inner reflection; It's there for adolescent kids to drool over and that's it. And that sucks.

Episode 1 – If Only I Had Thorns Like A Thistle…
tumblr_mu4chpgdcc1rwu8gjo1_500.gif

First half of the episode was quite good and intense with really nice high climax action and good personalities. Once the main character got involved quality declined fast and came across feeling pretty boring. Which is rather unfortunate as all the action moments just came across feeling lifeless and just uninteresting. I think the anime would do well to focus more on the disciplinary committee members as there is huge potential if they all have wide variety of abilities and personalities, boxer was hilarious and
painful nekkid end even

Best characters so far are easily
the teacher when he followed her and then got into his non eyeglasses form and what not....best character in this anime
, Uzu and Houka.

Soma

Kill La Kill Episode 01

This is the high-school battle anime Medaka Box dreamed of being.

For all its awesomeness, I can see some people being turned off by how risque some of the scenes can be (mostly to do with Matoi's outfit). I think it fits well within the bombastic, over-the-top atmosphere this show has though. I honestly don't mind that and it's a nice change of pace from the usual mellow anime series I enjoy watching. If this show can maintain this level of craziness through out its air time, I think we'll be in for a really fun ride.

7Th

I should probably write more detailed impressions; but in short I loved it. I still think it is stylistically similar to episode 5 of FLCL; not FLCL as a whole, just episode 5.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
People keep talking about Gurren Lagann but this was more of a love letter to Dezaki and Go Nagai. And next episode, AIM FOR THE ACE.

I watched the first episode earlier today and posted some thoughts in toonami-gaf but will provide a very brief recap here.

PROS:
- Unique art style
- Compelling female protagonist
- Good soundtrack
- Great animation

CONS:
- Dialogue
- Nonsensical plot/premise
- Hyper sexualized battlesuit is a turn off

I've got some issues with KLK but none that are too concerning, I plan to keep on watching every week. Nice OT.

Crocodile

Wow comicblizzard, are both pics in the OP you? Talk about a metamorphosis. You look straight ballin' in the second pic. Congrats!

Just because worse exist doesn't invalidate the opinions of those who aren't fans of the suit. Given the situation, the show handled it the best possible way IMO. It also doesn't hurt that Ryuko is such a swirling ball of awesomeness that she could be dressed in a barrel and it would be ok.

Given the events of the 1st episode with Ryuko's suit absorbing part of the boxing club president's suit, I wouldn't be surprised if the form of Ryuko's suit changes. Maybe the barebones design represents a weak state and it becomes more complete/powers up over the course of the show?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Anyway, my impressions from earlier.

Kill La Kill Episode 1
:

So here we are, he we are with the big anime of the season, the Sword Art Online, the Attack on Titan, the Free! of thew season, at least in terms of hype. Glanced at a few impressions that said this episodes left them cold, I guess I could see that, but I was too busy being entertained to notice. Yea, so now I know what Utena would have looked like by way of Gurren Lagan. Indeed as it has been suspected Kill La Kill has eaten and absorbed the old Gainax personality, which really could have used on Stella Woman's Academy. Another reason for enjoying this is because I am truly enjoying seeing the piss taken out of the high school setting. Anyway, yea, I can see why this fell flat for some people who don't like this style of humor and this still an establishing episode, but anybody who is bored by this, go watch Kyoukai no Kanata to see what dull can look like. Still, time will tell if this can fully live up to the promises made but I will be watching, in my estimation is has somewhat lived up to the hype so far.

Wow comicblizzard, are both pics in the OP you? Talk about a metamorphosis. You look straight ballin' in the second pic. Congrats!

Yep, first is me in college, 2nd is me 2 years ago or something. I look mostly the same now, except I can't find that shirt.

And thanks! Though I've been pretty much at the same weight for a year now, and I'm still considered overweight because FUCK BMI.

Top Bottom