• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Branduil

Kill la Kill 1

ilFRoteYWoVbX.jpg

As we all know, this is the first anime directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi since Panty and Stocking, and before that Gurren Lagann, both of which were animated by the legendary studio Gainax. Things have changed since then, and Gainax's loss has been newcomer Studio Trigger's gain. With former Gainax standouts like Imaishi, Masahiko Ohtsuka, and Yoh Yoshinari, the studio has already made a little bit of a name for itself with the outstanding short film Little Witch Academia, conceived and directed by Yoshinari. They also produced the silly(and absurdly cheap) Inferno Cop shorts. Kill la Kill, however, represents their first real attempt at a full-length TV series, and as an original work they're taking a fair bit of risk here; that being true, it's no surprise they'd rely on the tried and proven Imaishi.

Kill la Kill is, no doubt, an Imaishi work through-and-through, and that's obvious from the very first minute. All of his trademarks- extremely stylized and cartoony animation, loud and unsubtle characters, slapstick comedy, action scenes that approach abstraction- are here, and in abundance.

First, let me talk about what I felt worked. The art direction is extremely well-realized, with great layouts, distinct and visually appealing characters(important in a series with such a large cast), and solid animation. The storyboarding and direction was pretty effective, with lots of camera movement(combined with good-enough CGI) helping to make scenes more dynamic, as well as quickly communicating the general layout of the city and the school at its top. In terms of visual production, everything is solid except for that dreadful uniform.

That being true, I need to explain why I was left cold by this opening episode.

I think the biggest issue for me, one that relates to a wide number of my other complaints, is tone. I had no idea what I was supposed to be feeling during the vast majority of the episode. The presentation of setting, established in the first scene, borders on parody, with the schoolteacher lecturing on Hitler before being interrupted by the Gestapo-like Disciplinary Squad. In fact, I was unsure during the entire episode if this was supposed to be a parody of all similar stories or not. It feels like it wants to have its cake and eat it too, in terms of the setting being an absurd caricature of high school battle anime, as well as generic revenge stories; yet at the same time the weirdly dark, violent murders and the presentation of Ryuuko's motivation seem to point to this being a "serious" story.

These competing impressions left me unable to identify with any of the characters. It's especially hard in a series with such an over-the-top setting, where you really need a grounded and identifiable character to relate to, but Ryuuko is a total cipher outside of her one-dimensional motivation at this point in the narrative. Either that or she's just bland. Satsuki is easily the most interesting character, but she's even more of a mystery than Ryuuko. Every other character is just a walking trope, without anything interesting to say about them.

I should also mention that the comedy fell utterly flat for me. I feel like Imaishi is a comedic tryhard, with lots of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Maho in particular is an unfunny, one-dimensional gag character. And I definitely feel like the pacing hurt it in this regard, with wacky slapstick gag following after wacky slapstick gag, without and breathing room whatsoever. It's as if the thinking process is that comedy is the sum of many lesser jokes and you just need to spam them fast enough to achieve laughter.

I also must say that I felt the dialogue was atrocious, like, some of the worst I've seen in anime. Gurren Lagann, at least, even had memorable lines like "Believe in me who believes in you" from the very first episode. The dialogue in this is split between utter nonsense and pointless, rapid-fire exposition. Did we really need a scene explaining that three-star uniforms are more powerful than two-star, which are more powerful than one-star, etc. I think everyone already grasped the video-game like ranking system by that point.

ibe9k8W4deM3eQ.jpg

What does that even mean?

Regarding the music, I didn't even notice it. It just had no impact on me, maybe because I had characters screaming nonsense in my ears the entire episode.

TnK

People keep talking about Gurren Lagann but this was more of a love letter to Dezaki and Go Nagai. And next episode, AIM FOR THE ACE.

Gurren Lagann was already kind of a love letter to Go Nagai.

Came here to say this. Just like how Gurren Lagann is a love letter to Go Nagai's kick ass mecha animes (while also evolving it), this seems like a love letter to Cutie Honey. Except it is cutie honey on steroids and speed.

This show has a shit ton of potential. I love it.

EDIT: Also a Raoh like character is in this show. Shows need more Raoh like characters lol.

Shergal

I should probably write more detailed impressions; but in short I loved it. I still think it is stylistically similar to episode 5 of FLCL; not FLCL as a whole, just episode 5.

I dunno, it's more Sushio than Imaishi in the art, the animation is cartoony in a different way (FLCL 5 felt more.... western, if that makes sense to you, even disregarding the South Park reference; the roasted guys coming out of the oil would be something similar to my memory of FLCL 5), and the big scope of both the art direction and set-pieces creates a feel that is way different. Not to mention it lacks the 'punk' aspect The Pillows contributed, which actually disappointed me a little. I was expecting a stronger undercurrent of irreverence after seeing the outfit Ryuuko was using at the beginning.

It has Dezaki postcards, rough lines, the animation is more jerky in places (understandably so) and the whole aesthetic doesn't yet tie into the narrative as strongly as in FLCL. I'm not seeing the comparison at all.

Nyoro SF

I would post a detailed summary, but hype level during the episode was notched up to 11... that's all I need to say. heh heh

The part where the student council tries to block a flying body from hitting the president but fails to block a followup blood splatter had me in stitches.

Dresden

I didn't see the FLCL comparisons, either . . . maybe when Tsurumaki directs an episode and the show inevitably slows down.

Shergal

I didn't see the FLCL comparisons, either . . . maybe when Tsurumaki directs an episode and the show inevitably slows down.

You know what would be cool? Ogura chiming in, at least to do some animation directing. After all, episode 4 is the best episode of FLCL!

Kill La Kill Episode 01

This is the high-school battle anime Medaka Box dreamed of being.

For all its awesomeness, I can see some people being turned off by how risque some of the scenes can be (mostly to do with Matoi's outfit). I think it fits well within the bombastic, over-the-top atmosphere this show has though. I honestly don't mind that and it's a nice change of pace from the usual mellow anime series I enjoy watching. If this show can maintain this level of craziness through out its air time, I think we'll be in for a really fun ride.

Pretty much agree with this, that was an awesome and fun first episode.

Love Ryuko so far.

It might also be because of its overall poopiness.

I think it's way too early to say that about the soundtrack after one episode, especially with the clearly bigger fights to come. Especially with it being by Hiroyuki Sawano who's been on a roll with fantastic soundtracks IMO.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill La Kill Episode 1: More Impressions:, I rather like how visually complex this show is, and not for the sake of looking pretty. There seems to be a lot of moving parts, like its forebears Kill La Kill has a lot stuff going on at any one time, and I really like the little visual details like Ryūko returning the meal quickly after stealing the bike. Shit like that is really going to open Kill La Kill to repeat viewings. The dialog is, yea, kind of not good, but for those who keep slamming it, tone makes all the difference.

The goofball dialog fits in well with the over the top and hyper exaggerated tone the show is going for, this is why it is a cut above Kyoukai no Kanata where I am being asked to take that shit seriously. Mach ado has been made about the costume already, and yea, there is no way around it, Senketsu sucks and it a might embarrassing, also, doing things ironically is not excuse for this thing looking so hideous. Characterization seems fine for a first episode, but we have been promised quite a bit in that department, so I have to withhold judgement for the moment.

Well, I do have misgivings over Ryūko's sidekick Mako and her brother, these two might grate on my nerves quickly. I really hope they are not just dumb comic relief given the prominence they have in the good guy pecking order. Also, are The Pillows still a thing? Can we get them to this show? Can we get a notable soundtrack at all? Still, most enjoyable show I have watched thus far this season, but the season is still young.

Odrion

Banned
Oh man, it's kinda hard to watch this with subtitles when I want to catch every frame of awesome detail.

There was times where I stopped reading the subtitles without really realizing it, even.

duckroll

I guess I'll post a bit about what I think of the show so far:

The show is really, really stupid. But I guess it's not really stupid in a bad way, and it does try to have a lot of fun with the stupidity. The animation is pretty good. The art direction is fantastic. I'm still not a big fan of the character designs outside of Mako and the people in the slums who seem to have much more rounded and cartoon-like designs which are appealing to the eye. Everything else just seems over-designed to be either "super cool" or "bad ass" for 14 year old kids. I don't think the show is particularly exciting or funny so far, but it sure is passionate and energetic about what it wants to be. Just wish it wasn't so... stupid. Lol.

Anyway, this show is everything that Medaka Box should have been, and more. When cosmic described why Medaka Box was so good, this is sort of what I imagined, instead of the mediocre thing we got instead. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Came here to say this. Just like how Gurren Lagann is a love letter to Go Nagai's kick ass mecha animes (while also evolving it), this seems like a love letter to Cutie Honey. Except it is cutie honey on steroids and speed.
Yeah, I heard in the previous thread it's like a combination of Cutie Honey and Gurren Lagann and after seeing it, I have to agree.

& to re-quote my impressions, I had a freakin' blast and cannot wait to see the rest of the series. I absolutely love the type of anime that gets insane while being well paced & just puts a smile on my face at how ridiculous it gets.

Stealth edit:
& cosplay of that outfit is shown when?

Oh man, it's kinda hard to watch this with subtitles when I want to catch every frame of awesome detail.

There was times where I stopped reading the subtitles without really realizing it, even.

I know exactly what you mean, especially during the rematch

cool moment
tumblr_mu4lq6dQgR1rxfei4o1_500.gif

That was awesome :D

Kill La Kill Episode 1: More Impressions:, I rather like how visually complex this show is, and not for the sake of looking pretty. There seems to be a lot of moving parts, like its forebears Kill La Kill has a lot stuff going on at any one time, and I really like the little visual details like Ryūko returning the meal quickly after stealing the bike. Shit like that is really going to open Kill La Kill to repeat viewings.

Yeah, love those extra touches.

That was a great little extra with her coming back and returning the delivery/food lol.

Anyway, this show is everything that Medaka Box should have been, and more. When cosmic described why Medaka Box was so good, this is sort of what I imagined, instead of the mediocre thing we got instead. :p

I was pretty much just referring to stuff we never got in animated form :(. The Good Loser Kumagawa episode was good, though.

But yes, this blows that out of the water.

cjkeats

Despite my disdain for GL, I watched it based on my love for P&S.
Thought it was okay, I'll keep watching for now. I certainly saw some FLCL in it. Mostly the wackiness in the fights reminded me of it.

Hope they keep up the copious amount of underboob.

Dynedom

Kill La Kill - 01

That was some really frenetic pacing. I can see myself enjoying the series. Let's see. I'm not entirely sold.

That uniform is really terrible though.

Jacob

I just watched the first episode after having this be my most anticipated new anime for several months. I was entertained, but I hope that the show has a little more substance to it in the coming episodes. To be honest, I'm really not feeling the TTGL comparisons at all. TTGL started off at a snail's pace compared to this and only gradually built up into the hot-blooded monster that it became. I absolutely adore TTGL, but I feel like a lot of the show's fans don't really appreciate it beyond "dudes punching robots oh yeah ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER!" And that's cool and all, don't get me wrong, but there is a lot more to TTGL than just that.

So far, Kill la Kill reminds me far more of Dead Leaves, Imaishi's directorial debut movie from 2004. That had the truly manic pacing of Kill la Kill (both of which are far more over the top than TTGL) as well as the higher levels of crude/slapstick humor and casual extreme violence. I'm actually a little worried by this feeling because while Dead Leaves was entertaining to watch and certainly visually interesting, the story was thoroughly stupid and forgettable, and as such the entire movie hasn't really stuck with me. Kill la Kill looks great visually (except for the uniform, but enough other people have already addressed that), but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more story and characterization to come soon.

Not trying to be a debbie downer or anything though, I'm definitely excited for the rest of the show and moar Imaishi/Trigger.

Gazoinks

I just watched the first episode after having this be my most anticipated new anime for several months. I was entertained, but I hope that the show has a little more substance to it in the coming episodes. To be honest, I'm really not feeling the TTGL comparisons at all. TTGL started off at a snail's pace compared to this and only gradually built up into the hot-blooded monster that it became. I absolutely adore TTGL, but I feel like a lot of the show's fans don't really appreciate it beyond "dudes punching robots oh yeah ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER!" And that's cool and all, don't get me wrong, but there is a lot more to TTGL than just that.

So far, Kill la Kill reminds me far more of Dead Leaves, Imaishi's directorial debut movie from 2004. That had the truly manic pacing of Kill la Kill (both of which are far more over the top than TTGL) as well as the higher levels of crude/slapstick humor and casual extreme violence. I'm actually a little worried by this feeling because while Dead Leaves was entertaining to watch and certainly visually interesting, the story was thoroughly stupid and forgettable, and as such the entire movie hasn't really stuck with me. Kill la Kill looks great visually (except for the uniform, but enough other people have already addressed that), but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more story and characterization to come soon.

Not trying to be a debbie downer or anything though, I'm definitely excited for the rest of the show and moar Imaishi/Trigger.

I read... somewhere that they originally planned on it being a straight-up wacky action show, but decided to put more of a focus on characterization, so I think they're probably heading in a good direction. Of course we can't really decide till more episodes come out.

Atilac

Watched the first episode, felt nothing. Will try a couple more before I drop if it fails to impress me.
I love FLCL, Gurren Lagann, Dead Leaves, and P&S - but this show is a huge miss for me.

Hate the setting, the school fighting genera might be one of the worst genera's in anime. I don't remember any of the music, which is a shame since FLCL, Gurren Lagann, and P&S had such an amazing and memorable soundtrack.

Super disappointed.

Dead

well not really...yet
I guess I'll post a bit about what I think of the show so far:

The show is really, really stupid. But I guess it's not really stupid in a bad way, and it does try to have a lot of fun with the stupidity. The animation is pretty good. The art direction is fantastic. I'm still not a big fan of the character designs outside of Mako and the people in the slums who seem to have much more rounded and cartoon-like designs which are appealing to the eye. Everything else just seems over-designed to be either "super cool" or "bad ass" for 14 year old kids. I don't think the show is particularly exciting or funny so far, but it sure is passionate and energetic about what it wants to be. Just wish it wasn't so... stupid. Lol.

Like I said, its stupid and proud of it :D

Yeah, I might actually wait for it to be dubbed before I watch it, like TTGL and Panty and Stocking.

BizzyBum

Yep. Much pausing and viewing scenes multiple times were had.

Seems cool. I'll keep watching for now.

ReiGun

The second half of the episode was almost a little two fast paced. The final fight was more irritating to watch than entertaining. Would have benefitted from slowing down just a little.

Overall, I did enjoy it and am interested to see more. I dug the protagonist and the art style. The premise is pretty fun too. I'll keep with it.

Also, the battle suit is stupid. I wouldn't mind the sexualization as much if it at least looked cool, but it doesn't even have that.

The art style is amazing but what the fuck at the outfit? What were they thinking? Makes it awkward to watch since she is supposed to be a kid in highschool (hopefully not middle school)

Pooya

almost all the footage from the PV was from the first episode I think, what they're going to do in 20 something episodes if Ryuko goes through the school members at this pace, maybe it's a two part story like TTGL and we've seen nothing yet.

Music isn't any good on it's own as expected but still didn't distract me either, it's not terrible.

If what was shown in that one scene after the fight is what it looks like, the design of uniform makes a bit more sense.

looking forward to see OP and ED.

Silky

Banned
Finished watching the first episode and through the entirety I was kept smiling. I fucking loooove this show. I really hope it doesn't drop in quality.

Ki66dmA.gif

This girl is a fucking peach.

mugwhump

Man, that was awesome. Perfect pacing, amazing animation and visual design. I really liked the visual gags, especially from Mako.

And that scene where Satsuki got the blood spattered on her? Perfect. I think this is the first anime ever where I've wanted to rewatch the first episode immediately.

Looking forward to seeing the OP.

What does that even mean?

I heard it's a translation error. A better translation would be "So you should have no regrets then" (as in, if he were to die).

ZoddGutts

Liked the first ep, good animation and fight scenes. The music was forgettable though. Hate the Sailor Fuku battle suit for the lead, that shit is for Otaku virgins to fap over. Anyways one other thing I liked is the comedy.

Ki66dmA.gif

Plot twist, she's the one who killed the leads dad.

Scratch

this show is straight up the dumbest and most ridiculous thing i've ever seen and i can't wait for the next episode!

JCG

Quite pleased with the results so far, although I did find the humor falling flat on its face during a few scenes. Do people really laugh out loud at some of this stuff, I wonder?

Definitely a great start to the show, hopefully they can keep this up the whole way through, not necessarily in terms of the insanely fast pacing per se but almost everything else.

BizzyBum

Quite pleased with the results so far, although I did find the humor falling flat on its face during a few scenes. Do people really laugh out loud at some of this stuff, I wonder?

I laughed when Ryuko clashed with the delivery dude and stole his ride to get away.

Also, watch the dog in the background near the dumpster early on when she enters the city and confronts the thief. Dat face.

so1337

Finished watching the first episode and through the entirety I was kept smiling. I fucking loooove this show. I really hope it doesn't drop in quality.

Ki66dmA.gif

Mako is my favourite character so far. She is just unapologetically dumb. I love it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished episode one. That fucking ruled.

So okay I'm really, really sensitive to fanservice for fanservice's sake for the most part but I am totally down with the Senkotsu design now that I've seen it in the context of the show. Soooo much of the show is taking the piss out of exploitation tropes and it's very clearly very intentional.

During the fight with Fukuroda once she's revealed, Ryuko is embarrassed by the Senkotsu. Instead of focusing on the fight Fukuroda starts creeping on Ryuko because of Senkotsu, which makes her upset. When he tries to attack her, it doesn't matter that like 10% of her body is covered, she's completely protected. On the other hand the Goku uniforms are like full body suits from neck to ankle. It's a total send up of the absurdity of the awful armor women wear in dozens of other exploitation films/anime.

There's a hell of a lot more thought to this than wank material for virgin otaku. Sexiness isn't an inherently bad thing; and I think using it in a subversive way like this is pretty god damn brilliant.

I don't know how I'm going to manage to wait weekly for more episodes of this show.

Dennis

Banned
Episode 1

Well, that was OK I guessed. Will watch Episode 2.

Not really getting all the "saving anime" praise though.

It is no Little Witch Academy that is for sure.

Top Bottom